Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Aussieprincess
Mouseketeer

Help me make a trip report!

I really want to make a trip report after my trip next month, but I want to make sure it's easy to read. Can I please have some tips for using photos in my report, and also making chapters... as these are my favourite kind to read!!
Planning a 'Proper' trip to DLR for 2014
Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Windsor Princesses
Mouseketeer

When I write a TR I try to organize it first that way I have a rough idea of how it will go. The site only allows 25 pictures per post so keep that in mind too when you are seperating chapters, sometimes I find myself getting out of control then I have to rearrange my TR. Good luck, I'm looking forward to it
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
Aussieprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Princesses View Post
When I write a TR I try to organize it first that way I have a rough idea of how it will go. The site only allows 25 pictures per post so keep that in mind too when you are seperating chapters, sometimes I find myself getting out of control then I have to rearrange my TR. Good luck, I'm looking forward to it
Thanks! i can't wait to do it, just not really sure how! i'm just getting hang of normal posts! lol
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieprincess View Post
I really want to make a trip report after my trip next month, but I want to make sure it's easy to read. Can I please have some tips for using photos in my report, and also making chapters... as these are my favourite kind to read!!
Aussie
Can't wait to read your TR! I just finished my first one, and I too had a hard time figuring out the photos.

I started an account on "Photobucket.com" and loaded all of my trip photos there first (If you have I-photo on Mac, you can directly export the photos from there onto Photobucket with resizing, which makes it super easy). If you don't have I-photo, you can still upload your photos directly from Your Computer onto the website- I'm not quite sure if resizing is as straight-forward this way, but I highly recommend making your images a bit smaller before posting. At first, I left all of my photos in their original size, and there were some pictures that were far too large and revealing

After you have the photos loaded, Photobucket will give each of your pictures 4 links. The second one listed ('direct link') will be the one you use to post the images into your thread! Just click the little square with the mountain in it above the text box on DIS, and insert this 'direct link'.

As was mentioned previously, you can only insert 25 images per post, including smilies. At first, I thought this seemed like plenty, but as you're going you end up wishing for more. Make sure your posts are describing a period of time short enough so that you can include as many details/photos as you really want!

Unfortunately, I wasn't "hip" enough to insert Chapters into my first TR. Hopefully I will be able to incorporate this into my second one come January. Kudos to you if you go through all that work for your first!!

Have an awesome trip, can't wait to hear about it!

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieprincess View Post
Great tips in previous posts! Another idea is to take a small pocket size note pad with you and jot down names, places, tidbits as the day goes along. In my advanced age , I find it hard to remember some of the finer details until after I've already posted! Also, when we get back to the room each night, if I'm not too tired, I will add some more thoughts about the events of that day.

After the trip, when we get back home and I start writing the TR, I do a rough draft in a word processing software like MS-Word. I like to write it down, wait a day or two and then go back and reread everything. I always find something I left out or something that needs to be clarified or something simple like a misspelled word.

Once you are ready to start posting, you can copy and past sections from the rough draft directly into your post. Then you can insert pics as needed. I always hit "Preview Post" too so I can make a final read.

I use Photobucket to store my pics. I make separate albums for each trip so they are not all mixed up together. When uploading pics, you are given the chance to name each pic before you hit "Save and Continue To My Album". I give each pic a number in the order of when I will be posting them in the TR. That way I know where to find them easier. You will probably not upload all your pics at one time so even by numbering them, they will not be in order. Just select the "Organize" option in Photobucket and sort them by Title. If you numbered them like I do, they are then all in numerical order.

When I get ready to insert a picture, I just move my cursor over the pic to post and a window will pop up like this one...

Once that pop up window is there, move your mouse cursor all the way to the bottom of the pop up and put it over the info to the right of "IMG code". Left clik your mouse once and you will briefly see "Copied" in that space before it returns to the original info. It has copied the link to that specific pic for you. Then toggle back over to your DISboard post and paste the link into your TR where you want it placed. By copying IMG code, you do not have to put the [IMG][/IMG] tags on either side of the link, they are already there.

Finally, you can put a link to your TR in your signature so others can go to it directly from your post in other places. As you can see, I have 3 TR's linked in my signature.

Those are my 2 cents worth for what it is worth. A TR is a labor of love but I enjoy doing it. Hopefully others will get some enjoyment out of it and learn a thing or two. I know I have learned a lot by reading other DISboard members TR's. Have fun!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Aussieprincess
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Great tips in previous posts! Another idea is to take a small pocket size note pad with you and jot down names, places, tidbits as the day goes along. In my advanced age , I find it hard to remember some of the finer details until after I've already posted! Also, when we get back to the room each night, if I'm not too tired, I will add some more thoughts about the events of that day.

After the trip, when we get back home and I start writing the TR, I do a rough draft in a word processing software like MS-Word. I like to write it down, wait a day or two and then go back and reread everything. I always find something I left out or something that needs to be clarified or something simple like a misspelled word.

Once you are ready to start posting, you can copy and past sections from the rough draft directly into your post. Then you can insert pics as needed. I always hit "Preview Post" too so I can make a final read.

I use Photobucket to store my pics. I make separate albums for each trip so they are not all mixed up together. When uploading pics, you are given the chance to name each pic before you hit "Save and Continue To My Album". I give each pic a number in the order of when I will be posting them in the TR. That way I know where to find them easier. You will probably not upload all your pics at one time so even by numbering them, they will not be in order. Just select the "Organize" option in Photobucket and sort them by Title. If you numbered them like I do, they are then all in numerical order.

When I get ready to insert a picture, I just move my cursor over the pic to post and a window will pop up like this one...

Once that pop up window is there, move your mouse cursor all the way to the bottom of the pop up and put it over the info to the right of "IMG code". Left clik your mouse once and you will briefly see "Copied" in that space before it returns to the original info. It has copied the link to that specific pic for you. Then toggle back over to your DISboard post and paste the link into your TR where you want it placed. By copying IMG code, you do not have to put the [IMG][/IMG] tags on either side of the link, they are already there.

Finally, you can put a link to your TR in your signature so others can go to it directly from your post in other places. As you can see, I have 3 TR's linked in my signature.

Those are my 2 cents worth for what it is worth. A TR is a labor of love but I enjoy doing it. Hopefully others will get some enjoyment out of it and learn a thing or two. I know I have learned a lot by reading other DISboard members TR's. Have fun!
WOW!! Thank you so much! I will definetly take all of this on board!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: