Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
pclaire
Mouseketeer

airfare to europe this summer

Anyone else having sticker shock??!! My daughter and I are going on the June 10th Central Italy trip and airfare from Denver is unbelievable. I was hoping to get a one-stop, especially on the way home, but we are looking at about $2,000 per person. I'm not sure if waiting is a good idea, but boy its hard to pull the trigger!
pclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

I booked our air fare back in Sept for Nashville to Budapest, Munich to Nashville, for about $1700 and it's now about $100 less than I paid. But it's not a huge difference and it's better than worrying about it for months. We are going on a Tauck Bridges trip and last month Tauck sent out an offer that included airfare for any of their European trips for $1290 pp. I would have been upset about that, but our trip was already sold out, so no regrets there either. But the cost of airfare is painful and with fuel prices increasing it's probably not going to get any better.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
carpenta
DIS Veteran

We are doing a Tauck tour this summer also and our airfare is about $1500.00 each out of Burlington, Vt. thru N.Y. to Budapest and return from Prague. I believe the fare will only rise after oil goes through the roof.We have already booked the Disney Magic out of Barcelona in 2013 and I'm afraid to start looking for that fare. The best you can do is hunt around and jump on a fare as soon as it seems reasonable to you. Good Luck.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
jlou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclaire View Post
Anyone else having sticker shock??!! My daughter and I are going on the June 10th Central Italy trip and airfare from Denver is unbelievable. I was hoping to get a one-stop, especially on the way home, but we are looking at about $2,000 per person. I'm not sure if waiting is a good idea, but boy its hard to pull the trigger!
You only have the two of you to buy tickets for, so you may feel okay waiting for some sort of last minute deal. Other than that, I don't think prices are going to drop any time soon. And I don't know how much of an appetite you have for waiting til last minute. My advice would be to watch your prices every day. If you see a drop, grab them, they won't last.

Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
RSM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclaire View Post
Hi PClaire,

We are doing the June 17th Central Italy trip. We are flying from Boston to Naples, then Rome to Boston on the way back. The best price we found originally was ~$1650 per person (there are 3 of us). By stopping in Dublin and staying overnight in Dublin and flying out the next day, we saved ~$500 per person in airfare. When I factor in the cost of the day in Dublin, I figure we still save ~$1000, and we get to see Dublin for a day or so. We are flying Aer Lingus. BTW- this didn't show up on Expedia or Travelocity. The option showed up on Kayak. We then ended up booking it with Expedia. Not sure on flights from Denver, but if you have the time, there may be a similar option.
RSM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
mapsd
Mouseketeer

Hunt for the non-traditional

We had a similar experience as RSM. For our July 9 Viva Italia trip, flying into Rome & out of Venice, was exteremely expensive.

After quite a bit of on-line research, we found returning out of London was $500 less per ticket! Just applying for a British Airway VISA, earned us 30K miles, so our 4 tickets Venice-->London cost us $80.

Our ticket savings alone will finance 3 extra days in London before flying home!
mapsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Sheepdog23
Mouseketeer

I am currently living near copenhagen and it is expensive to fly out of the smaller or the most popular airports. my tip for a cheaper airfare it to fly via london by booking a flight to london and then change to a budget airline like ryan air, easy jet, skyways etc. Sometimes you can also get a cheap flight via frankfurt. try using www.momondo.com since it will show you the whole month and you might find that you save big by flying 2 days earlier etc. july is expensive no matter what because europe is on vacation for the month.
Sheepdog23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
carpenta
DIS Veteran

just a note about flying thru London...the three cruises we have been on in the Med. a number of fellow cruisers were with us had no luggage for it was lost in London. I try to avoid London when ever I can. Just paranoid....or like clean socks.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Wow. I guess we were lucky. Three tickets for Philadelphia-Naples (via Brussels) and a non-stop Rome-Philadelphia return in June were only about $3,500 total on US AIr.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Wow. I guess we were lucky. Three tickets for Philadelphia-Naples (via Brussels) and a non-stop Rome-Philadelphia return in June were only about $3,500 total on US AIr.
....can you find me a couple of those?.......
Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog23 View Post
I am currently living near copenhagen and it is expensive to fly out of the smaller or the most popular airports. my tip for a cheaper airfare it to fly via london by booking a flight to london and then change to a budget airline like ryan air, easy jet, skyways etc. Sometimes you can also get a cheap flight via frankfurt. try using www.momondo.com since it will show you the whole month and you might find that you save big by flying 2 days earlier etc. july is expensive no matter what because europe is on vacation for the month.
The only thing about the budget airlines is I hear they can be way more restrictive as far as luggage is concerned.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

It's sometimes cheaper to find a cheap flight to New York or Miami, and get a flight from there. New York and Miami are served by many low-fare European airlines that don't fly elsewhere, like Arkefly, Airberlin and Transaero.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

WHAT. Its almost always less than $1,000 per person to fly anywhere in Europe out of Boston. Usually $700-800 a ticket...

Maybe you can find a less expensive ticket to somewhere on the east coast and then get a ticket from the east coast airport to your destination in Europe.

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickalamode View Post
WHAT. Its almost always less than $1,000 per person to fly anywhere in Europe out of Boston. Usually $700-800 a ticket...

Maybe you can find a less expensive ticket to somewhere on the east coast and then get a ticket from the east coast airport to your destination in Europe.
Part of the issue here may be that the trip starts in Naples and ends in Florence. Unless you travel all the way back to Naples (or start/end in Rome, or something of that nature) it can be much more expensive getting an "open jawed" ticket that flies into one place and out of another.

That said, the OP still might be able to get something cheaper going through the East Coast. A non-stop may just not be an economical option.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 02-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
kjd469
Addicted to WDW

Check your flights on Kayak and set up an alert for them to email you the current price each day....I was looking at flights for Christmas from our home to Orlando and we were looking at $1200 per person!!...well, the good news is, that on today's Kayak alert the price had dropped to $385 per person - I was thrilled and quickly booked the seats. We also had the same experience for our flights to Lima for our June ABD - Kayak let us know the flights had dropped from $800 to $400! I love Kayak!!
ABD Southwest Splendors July '09
ABD Sacred Valleys & Incan Cities Oct. '08
Inaugural Sailing of Disney Magic August '98
7 night Western Carib. Disney Magic October 2003
3 night Bahamas Disney Wonder March 2006
4 night Bahamas Disney Wonder March 2008
4 night DVC S.S. Member Cruise - Disney Wonder Sept. 2010
3 night Bahamas Disney Dream October 2011
7 night Eastern Carib. Disney Fantasy June 2012
www.whencanwego.blogspot.com
kjd469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread