Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #241
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilisis
I'm all caught up! Your photos are AWESOME! How are your pets doing?
You got caught up just in time too, I'm doing another update shortly!

Mine are all doing great, thanks!

I thought 7 was supposed to be a lucky number?? A September TR
Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #242
PhoenixStrength

DAY 6, THURSDAY FEBRUARY 16TH, PART 1

This was the day, the day I got to do Wild Africa Trek. I was scheduled for the first tour of the day, at 8am. I woke up at 6am and got ready. Since I wasn't sure if I could get a bus there in time, I called Yellow Cab at 6:50am to arrange a 7:15am pick-up. I got a few pictures of Hourglass Lake as I walked to the front circle.

The cab pulled up at exactly 7:15am and we headed on our way. Unfortunately the main gate was not open yet, and the meter kept running while we sat there waiting to be let in.

At 7:30am they let us thru and I was dropped off by the bus stops. With tip it was a $20 cab ride. It had started lightly raining as we were waiting to be let in, but stopped by the time I got out of the cab. I took a couple pictures as I walked up to the gates to check in.

I was the second person there and was given all of the paperwork to take care of. Giving my information, emergency contact, health info, signing the waiver, etc. Once I finished my paperwork I sat down to wait until everyone else arrived and finished theirs. There was a sizable line forming for breakfast reservations for Tusker House already. Once everyone finished their forms we were taken into AK and walked to Harambe. I took a couple pictures while we walked, but was trying to keep up and listen to the CM so I took two.

We made our way to the Dawa Bar and went around the back to a gate that let us behind everything. We walked over to a hut where we met our guides, Devin and Emily. We were all showed to our free lockers where everything that wasn’t a camera with a wrist or neck strap, or medication, had to go. No phones, no backpacks/purses, no keys, nothing else at all. A few people grumbled but no one made a big deal about leaving everything. We were given a last opportunity to use the restroom, then taken around front of the hut to get weighed. It was very private, you couldn’t even see your own weight (unless you asked, then they would show you) only the CM doing our vests could.

Once you had your weight and size appropriate vest on they hooked you up with a mic pack. The guides spoke into a headset that connected wirelessly to all of our mic packs that had a wired earpiece for us to wear. That way we could always hear everything all of the guides said. There was a pocket on the vest for the mic pack and clips to keep the earpiece wire in place too. The only other pockets/clips were for our given water bottle and for a wrist strapped camera (which I didn’t need since I have a neck strap). That’s why nothing else can come with you, there is no where to put it! Next we all got weight appropriate harnesses to use for the hanging and bridge-walking parts. They were VERY snug and I had trouble walking with it at first, but we all got used to them after a few minutes.

Once everyone was vested, miced and harnessed we walked over to the practice bridge.

The practice bridge was only a few feet off the ground, but otherwise a replica of the ones over the hippos and crocs later. I had no problem with it, nor did anyone else, including the kids.

Once everyone had walked across we got some water and Jungle Juice (yummy!).

Here are the guides, Devin on the far left and Emily next to him. Emily was also the photographer, while Devin did most of the talking and led us on the tour.

After all of that it was time to get going! We got two groups shots, one normal and one with “cat claws” per Emily. The next two after that were taken by Emily too, as we walked thru Harambe and got an explanation of the sausage tree.

My own shot of the sausage tree.

We then headed into the Pagani Forest to start our trek! This first picture was taken by Emily (you can see me kind of blurry above the sign), then the animal shots were taken by me.

Then we headed into the aviary. All of these shots are mine.

Emily got a picture of Devin talking to us about the various birds in the aviary.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #243
PhoenixStrength

DAY 6, THURSDAY FEBRUARY 16TH, PART 2

After the aviary we went around behind the hippo pool thru a hidden gate to start our off-the-beaten-path Wild Africa Trek!

As you can see in the second picture, it really was off-the-beaten-path. There was no real pathway, just walking between and around trees to get to the next clearing. At the next clearing we found an.....interesting sight.

Yup, those are real hippo and crocodile skulls. We also met up with Bill, the Hippo expert. In this next picture from left to right is Devin, Emily then Bill (with 2 of the other Trek guests on the right). This was the portion where we were going to "hang" out over the Hippos. The pole system behind Bill is where the harness attachment on our backs hooked onto one of the lines hanging from it. The pole curved out to where if you walked at the end of it you would be near the edge overlooking the Hippos, though not close enough to slip over.

There was one hippo out of the pool and on the sand below us, though about 10 feet to the right of us. He was pretty lazy though. All of these pictures were taken by me.

There were also the ever-present vultures around too.

And some scenery

The Hippo wasn't moving much, though he did roll around a bit.

They decided to toss him some lettuce to try to get him up and moving, but he wasn't the one interested in the food.

Eventually he did get up and eat some of it, before going back to sleep.

After we finished watching him sleep we disconnected and walked further around to the first bridge.

The harness connects to a line running above you too, almost like a zip-line, to work as a back-up in case you slip. There is also a net below the bridge that would catch you if you fell. It was very safe, though no one had any real trouble anyway.

A few pictures as I walked across the first bridge, including one of my line connected above me.

And then 5 pictures Emily took of me as I walked across.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #244
PhoenixStrength

DAY 6, THURSDAY FEBRUARY 16TH, PART 3

After the first bridge we turned 90 degrees and went across the second bridge, which went over the Nile Crocodiles. All pictures taken by me.

Then more from Emily as I walked across the second bridge.

Once we were all across we were hooked to a similar pole as the one by the Hippo Pool and hung out over the Crocs. All of these pictures I took while leaning over the crocodile pool.

One of the ride vehicles from the Kilimanjaro Safari going by.

A shot under the bridge we walked on

And a shot by Emily as I "hung" over the Crocs

After we got off the Croc dangling line we were able to remove the uncomfortable harnesses! And we got another group shot.

Next up we met with Marcus, our driver for the safari portion of the WAT.

And headed off to find some animals!

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #245
PhoenixStrength

DAY 6, THURSDAY FEBRUARY 16TH, PART 4

A few safari pictures taken by me...

And some taken by Emily (these are not the stock photos, these are the ones she actually took on our trek).

We arrived at the deck for our food break, and restrooms. A few shots of the deck area.

Then our breakfast.

And a shot of me eating it, by Emily.

After we ate we got to take some pictures. While looking out some of the giraffes and wildebeest started stampeding. It only lasted about 30 seconds, but it was cool to see. Here are my pictures of it.

And I'm going to spill a behind the scenes secret. First, look at this picture.

Notice the tree trunk? If you look thru my other pictures and pictures of your own Kilimanjaro Safari pics you will notice a lot of them, and they are all close to the roadway. Those are where the water and food are kept. That way the animals have to come close to the ride vehicles in order to eat and drink and the guests all get a great view!

CONTINED IN NEXT POST

Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #246
captaindavidhook
Stay away from there

Great pictures. How cool was that to get that close to the crocs? Man I beat you could even hear them splashing about. Was this the first time you did this tour?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #247
PhoenixStrength

DAY 6, THURSDAY FEBRUARY 16TH, PART 4

Another secret. The adult giraffes cannot reach down into the low trunks to get to the food, so they also have racks in the trees up higher for them. You can kind of see one in the picture here.

If you walk down to the other end of the deck you can see the area where the White Rhinos, Ostrich, Lions, etc are. I got a few pictures of them from the deck.

This lioness was just sleeping there, but finally got up. We were all hoping she would walk around, but instead she just turned around and fell back to sleep.

I walked back to the front end and saw a truck pull up to fill one of the food trees. This giraffe was more interested in the direct route of just taking the food before it went in the tree.

A lizard ran over my shoe then stood right by me for a while, so I got a picture of it too.

While we ate and took pictures, Devin actually took over the camera and took some great shots of the stampade of giraffes and wildebeest. We don't know what spooked them, but it was cool to see. These are all his shots.

And his pictures from the back part of the deck.

Finally, his shot of the hungry, opportunistic giraffe.

Eventually we got back in the ride vehicle and rode out the way KS does. Here are a few pics I got on the rest of the ride.

And a couple more from Emily.

When you get up to where the KS vehicle unload we went to the left and unloaded back at the hut where our lockers were. We got 2 last group shots, this time with Devin and Emily included.

After you returned your vest, mic pack, etc and got your belongings out of the locker you get to pick which charity you want the portion of your tour price to go to. I remember Wild Cats, Rhinos and there was a third one. I think the third was just a general African wildlife one. I chose Wild Cats since it's my favorite, but everyone got to pick which one they wanted. Then we were done! I was a little sad it was over since it was so much fun, but I really enjoyed it. Oh, and I tipped Devin and Emily before we were all led out the gates back into Harambe.

NEXT TIME: MORE ANIMAL KINGDOM FUN!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #248
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindavidhook View Post
Great pictures. How cool was that to get that close to the crocs? Man I beat you could even hear them splashing about. Was this the first time you did this tour?
It was really cool, and you were very close to the crocs. Most of the ones I got pictures of were less than 10 feet from me, though they were about 6 feet down. And it was the first time I did Wild Africa Trek. I'd love to do it again, but not this upcoming trip since it's so short and would take away 1/2 an Animal Kingdom day.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #249
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow! The pictures from the Trek are amazing! Do you mind me asking how much the tour cost? I'm actually thinking of doing this for Hunter's birthday next May.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #250
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown
Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow! The pictures from the Trek are amazing! Do you mind me asking how much the tour cost? I'm actually thinking of doing this for Hunter's birthday next May.
Thanks! I loved every minute of it. And these are just the best half, I and the guides took twice as many pics as I posted.

It cost $189 per person. That includes the water bottle that you get to keep, the tour and the picture CD you get of all the guides pictures as well as 50 stock photos of the animals and such. I know this fall they were also doing a discount if you did the afternoon tours, I think $50 off, but don't know If they will extend it. It is pricey, but I think it was worth every penny. I really would do it again this trip if I had an extra day to spend at AK. Since it takes 3 hours out of the day in the park with the shortest open hours it wouldn't work this time. But I plan on doing it again next trip, whenever that is! If you have any other questions about it please ask!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #251
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I LOVE seeing all your pictures of the WAT! So great! I like reading about the little behind the scene secrets. And how lucky to have witnessed that stampede!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #252
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I LOVE seeing all your pictures of the WAT! So great! I like reading about the little behind the scene secrets. And how lucky to have witnessed that stampede!
Thanks! I know they told us other little secrets, but I can't remember any of the others right now.

The stampede was pretty cool. It wasn't long, but it was great to see the giraffes, wildebeest and even a few Thompson's Gazelles running across the savannah area.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #253
tinawv
If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in WDW I would be a millionare :-)

I am really enjoying reading your trip report. I have always wanted to try a solo trip, but was a little afraid. Reading about your trip makes me feel more comfortable about attempting it.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #254
captaindavidhook
Stay away from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawv View Post
I am really enjoying reading your trip report. I have always wanted to try a solo trip, but was a little afraid. Reading about your trip makes me feel more comfortable about attempting it.

I agree with you 100%. I have been contemplating it for awhile now. Reading this trip report has been very inspiring to say the least. Also, it doesn't hurt when you got a qhole lot of great pictures to look at.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #255
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinawv View Post
Thanks, and I'm glad my TR is helping you feel better about a solo trip. This TR is my second solo trip, though my first I stayed off-site. I'm taking my 3rd solo trip next month. I have never felt out of place, afraid or embarassed being there alone, and I've run into many other solo trippers while there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindavidhook View Post
I agree with you 100%. I have been contemplating it for awhile now. Reading this trip report has been very inspiring to say the least. Also, it doesn't hurt when you got a qhole lot of great pictures to look at.
Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: