Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #166
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

So, bad news (with a twist) and good news.

Bad news first. Steve and I spoke for 3 hours last night, and we won't be going to WDW, or anywhere, for a vacation. But the twist is the reason why he can't. He has been working with a state program to get a business loan, and will finally be getting one! It should be finalized within a month and then he will be so busy he just won't be able to take 5 days off. He will probably be working 6 days a week for the first 6ish months to get everything started and expanding. So, while I'm sad we won't get to go, I'm very happy for him that he is finally getting the loan he needs to expand his business and make it what he wants and needs it to be.

And, for the good news. I'm going to WDW anyway! I thought about it, and I just really want to go. I went back and forth about going on another solo trip, but my desire to be back at WDW won out and so I emailed a Small World TA this morning (the Free Dining for less than 6 nights can only be done through a TA). I'm going to stay at POP again this time since it's a short trip (5 nights) and just me. And it saves me a few hundred dollars too, which makes me happy! I'll be checking in on Thursday, November 29th and checking out Friday, December 4th.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do a separate PTR, or just put the details in here. I am going to step up the pace on this TR so I get it done before I leave for the next trip! I will be back later today with another update for this TR!

I love having a countdown ticker again!!!!

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

Last edited by PhoenixStrength; 09-26-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #167
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry Steve can't go, but happy things are turning around for him with work. Looks like we miss you by about a week.

You ate becoming a pro at these solo trips.
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #168
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm sorry Steve can't go, but happy things are turning around for him with work. Looks like we miss you by about a week.

You are becoming a pro at these solo trips.
I'm bummed we will miss each other too! Unfortunately I can't take off that following week, as one of my sitters is already off and we are too small to have 2 people off at once. But if you have anything you want me to check on while I'm there to let you know before you leave, just PM or ask me here beforehand and I will get it for you!

I'm sad that Steve can't go, I was really looking forward to going with him. But I am really happy he is finally catching a break on a loan and can grow his business. And I do know I can have a great time going solo, as I have in the past. It will be a shorter trip than the last 2, but it will still be nice.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #169
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR and I'm looking forward to reading about your Wild Africa Trek. My Mom and I will be doing the Trek on November 27th! We are both huge animal lovers (we went to New York City one year in December and went to the Central Park Zoo in the freezing cold if that tells you anything) so I got her the Trek for her birthday. I am so excited and so is she!

It looks like our trips are going to overlap by a few days. We will be there November 25th through December 1st.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #170
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809
Just found your TR and I'm looking forward to reading about your Wild Africa Trek. My Mom and I will be doing the Trek on November 27th! We are both huge animal lovers (we went to New York City one year in December and went to the Central Park Zoo in the freezing cold if that tells you anything) so I got her the Trek for her birthday. I am so excited and so is she!

It looks like our trips are going to overlap by a few days. We will be there November 25th through December 1st.
Welcome!! I'm so glad you found my TR. And I'm sure you and your mother will LOVE Wild Africa Trek, it is amazing. If I could afford it I would do it again during my upcoming trip in a heartbeat. I'm on the 14th right now on my TR, and I did WAT on the 16th, so I'll be on that soon. I'll be posting a bunch of info and tons of pictures from it, both that I took and that they did. What time is your tour?

We will overlap a couple of days. Maybe if our plans overlap we can meet up and you can tell me how your WAT went!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #171
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What a bummer that Steve can't go on the trip but at least he had a really really good reason for not going. At least you are getting to go though! That's pretty darn exciting!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #172
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What a bummer that Steve can't go on the trip but at least he had a really really good reason for not going. At least you are getting to go though! That's pretty darn exciting!
Yeah, if he wasn't going to go I at least wanted him to have a good excuse not to!

I'm very excited that I'm going though!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #173
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
Welcome!! I'm so glad you found my TR. And I'm sure you and your mother will LOVE Wild Africa Trek, it is amazing. If I could afford it I would do it again during my upcoming trip in a heartbeat. I'm on the 14th right now on my TR, and I did WAT on the 16th, so I'll be on that soon. I'll be posting a bunch of info and tons of pictures from it, both that I took and that they did. What time is your tour?

We will overlap a couple of days. Maybe if our plans overlap we can meet up and you can tell me how your WAT went!
Our Trek is at 8 am. I wanted the earliest time so we wouldn't miss a whole lot of park time. AK doesn't open till 9 am that morning so we will be an hour into the tour before they let everyone else in.

I would love to meet up if we get a chance. I just won't mention it to my Mom. She gets a little weird about that kind of stuff so maybe we can "accidentally" run into each other.

We are staying at CBR by the way. Wasn't that where you said you were staying? I am hoping to do a PTR, I've started writing it and would like to have it finished before I start posting. Just need to figure out how to post pictures.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #174
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Our Trek is at 8 am. I wanted the earliest time so we wouldn't miss a whole lot of park time. AK doesn't open till 9 am that morning so we will be an hour into the tour before they let everyone else in.

I would love to meet up if we get a chance. I just won't mention it to my Mom. She gets a little weird about that kind of stuff so maybe we can "accidentally" run into each other.

We are staying at CBR by the way. Wasn't that where you said you were staying? I am hoping to do a PTR, I've started writing it and would like to have it finished before I start posting. Just need to figure out how to post pictures.
I did the 8am WAT too. It was chilly in the morning, but nice. Piece of advice: pay attention to what the weather is supposed to be like, temperature wise at least. Once you get the harness on, you can't take it off again until you are done that part, which take about 90 minutes I think. So if you have on a jacket and start to get too hot, you'll have to deal with it. Once you get done the parts with the harness though and get in the safari vehicle you can take it off if it warms up. Guess what I'm trying to say is don't dress too warmly and regret it later. It shouldn't get that warm though by 9:30am, so you should be okay.

Once I figure out what days I'm doing what I'll post it, and if we are in the same place at the same time we can "bump into each other".

I was going to stay at CBR if I was going with my friend, but since it's just me I'm staying at POP Century.

For posting photos, check out this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1947588 It is a video tutorial on how to post photos on a thread!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #175
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
I did the 8am WAT too. It was chilly in the morning, but nice. Piece of advice: pay attention to what the weather is supposed to be like, temperature wise at least. Once you get the harness on, you can't take it off again until you are done that part, which take about 90 minutes I think. So if you have on a jacket and start to get too hot, you'll have to deal with it. Once you get done the parts with the harness though and get in the safari vehicle you can take it off if it warms up. Guess what I'm trying to say is don't dress too warmly and regret it later. It shouldn't get that warm though by 9:30am, so you should be okay.

Once I figure out what days I'm doing what I'll post it, and if we are in the same place at the same time we can "bump into each other".

I was going to stay at CBR if I was going with my friend, but since it's just me I'm staying at POP Century.

For posting photos, check out this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1947588 It is a video tutorial on how to post photos on a thread!
Thanks, that's great advice for the WAT. I hadn't thought about that before. It probably will be chilly in the morning.

I love Pop Century too! My Mom and I stayed there in 2010 but she wanted to try a moderate this time. This trip started as a solo and I was originally booked at ASMu so I could try somewhere new.

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it so when I get closer to posting I can pull it up and watch.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #176
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Thanks, that's great advice for the WAT. I hadn't thought about that before. It probably will be chilly in the morning.

I love Pop Century too! My Mom and I stayed there in 2010 but she wanted to try a moderate this time. This trip started as a solo and I was originally booked at ASMu so I could try somewhere new.

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it so when I get closer to posting I can pull it up and watch.
You're welcome!

I really do love POP. It's a fun resort that is small enough to be able to explore, but big enough to have lots to see. I thought about booking somewhere new this time, but since it's a shorter trip I wouldn't have much time to explore somewhere new.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #177
PhoenixStrength

DAY 4, TUESDAY FEBRUARY 14TH, PART 12

As some of you may have guessed, I was walking around the Tree of Life because I was in line for:

I had skipped it the last time I visited, but had seen it in 2008. It was better than I remembered it to be, and I will be doing it again if I have time on my upcoming trip. You can't take pictures in the theater, but I did get one in of the screen while people were still coming in. I was actually in the front row, which was nice.

As I left the theater I got some more pictures of the Tree of Life.

After that I made it back over to the trail between Asia and Africa, to try to see if Devine was out (no again!). I got a photopass photographer to get a picture of me and the ToL along the path, and a couple more pics of the ToL from a distance myself.

I wound up checking out the animals on the Discovery Island trails next. At least, I think these are the DI ones, and not the Oasis ones. I did both but don't have my notes in front of me now. I'm pretty sure I did the Oasis ones on my way out though, so these should be the ones on DI. I actually got more pics of ducks than anything else, but there were babies so it makes up for it!

One more shot of the ToL and then I headed to get a snack. I must have settled on one scoop of Cookies N Cream ice cream since that is what I have in my hand!

I headed back to Harambe next. Anyone guess what I did?

If you guessed ride KS again using the FP I got earlier, you'd be right! But first, I got another FP to use later on. Then I got in the FP line for my 3rd ride of the day.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #178
PhoenixStrength

DAY 4, TUESDAY FEBRUARY 14TH, PART 13

I was quickly on another safari vehicle. Only one unique sticker in this one:

I had another good driver. I don't remember his name right now (I'll post it later when I look in my notes, if I remember). I was sitting further back so I didn't get to interact directly with him, but he was funny and answered lots of questions. I'll just post the pics of all the animals I saw on this trip.

Kathy, the next pictures will be to your liking, and Marks!

CONTINUED IN THE NEXT POST

Last edited by PhoenixStrength; 09-27-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #179
PhoenixStrength

DAY 4, TUESDAY FEBRUARY 14TH, PART 14

More animal pictures:

After I got off I realized the FP I had gotten before getting on was already able to be used, so I got right back in the FP line. It was a little longer this time, but I still only waited about 10 minutes to get on. I took some pictures while in line.

I was soon on another safari vehicle, with more stickers!

And more animal pictures!

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #180
PhoenixStrength

DAY 4, TUESDAY FEBRUARY 14TH, PART 14

And more animal pictures.

NEXT TIME: WHY AREN'T WE MOVING?