Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Have you ever seen the movie Grown Ups? And the scene with the hunky lifeguard with the atrocious voice? He's from "Saskatachatoon". lol, your post totally made me think of that movie!!!
Yep...that was the best. He even has a french accent and threw in an 'eh' at the end

I always just say I'm from Canada. I'm often asked what part...then I say the Toronto area. I'm in Oakville so TO is only 15 minute down the highway.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

We just start with "Canada", then if asked will add "Ontario", then if asked further will add "a little town about 1 1/2 hrs east of Toronto". For a lot of people just the country is enough for them. I laughed at the response a PP got about Winnipeg. That was EXACTLY what happened to us when we went to WDW while living there.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Well we are actually in Toronto, and on our trip last month we answered this precise question.

The guy who asked it just shook his head at the response, and said, "I don't know. I'm from Atlanta."

DH started talking baseball and trades, and it wasn't long before the guy got it ... sort of.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
ejrj
DIS Veteran

Too funny. I'm a Canadian living in the Southern US. My little ones were watching Sesame Street this morning and Grover did a whole sketch on Saskatchewan. They must have said it 20 times. Just thought the timing of this thread was funny.

Also have to add that, for years we lived in a border state and people would look at a cross eyed when we said we from Canada. Now we live in a SOuthern state and find the people sooooo much more knowledgable of Canada.
ejrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
caisland
Mouseketeer

We tell them Prince Edward Island and get 'you mean Rhode Island?'

Then move on to eastern Canada. Usually have to say east of Montreal about 14 hours.
August 2009 Pop Century
August 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
February 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
March 2014 All Star Sports
caisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
C&B Young
www.canadisney.com

We usually say Ontario, Canada and if they don't look confused then we too say where we live in relation to Toronto. Glad to hear we're not the only ones who handle it like that. That's why we like eating at Le Cellier, we usually end up getting a server from Southern Ontario who knows the geography (and they're equally impressed when we know where Welland or Kitchener is!).
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbjgc View Post
I say Winnipeg. This is often (not always!) followed by a blank stare at which point I say "...just north of North Dakota", a further blank stare "... about 8 hours from Minneapolis", which often gets us there.

We have run into a number of florida native cast members who not only knew where Winnipeg was, but had even been here (either friends or family from around Winnipeg).

What is more fun is when someone says, "Oh, you are from Canada! Do you know my friend X from Toronto?". So far, I have never known their friends . I guess a 24 hour drive is a little too much separation.
A funny story- While in NY, my sister-in-laws brother says "oh, I hear you're from Pt Moody, I have a friend who lives there." Don't know why but I asked who his friend was, and turned out the friend lives 2 door down from me
I did indeed know him!

To answer OP- I tell people I'm from Vancouver. Thanks to the Olympics last year most people now know where Vancouver is. Most never heard of Pt. Moody, unless you're from this area. It is in the Greater Vancouver Regional District, so while we're not exactly in the City of Vancouver- close enough!!

Then they ask- it's really cold there right? Um, no I tell them, we get the same weather as Seattle
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 AM   #23
jsweeks@cogeco.ca
Can you swim in the ocean?
To only own a piece of land there, wouldn't that be wonderful!

We say Niagara Falls, and usually they think we are American, then I say Canada then we get.....ooohhhh!

First Visit, Fort Wilderness Cabin, Dec.2007, Grand Gathering, Pop Century, Apr.2009, Our Daughters 10th birthday & our 13th Anniversary! Pop Century August 2010, August 2012 POP CENTURY AGAIN!!!!

jsweeks@cogeco.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #24
dis_guy
DIS Veteran

We usually just go with "Canada". If they ask what part, we just say Alberta. That's when we usually get the glazed over look, if not we say "It's in the west, north of Montana". That usually ends it, especially if they don't really know where Montana is!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

I've given up explaining that Nova Scotia is east of Maine .... just adds to the confusion. My favourite game is guess where I'm from .... they can't place my maritime accent!
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #26
Carina
DIS Veteran

We usually say Vancouver Island - about 50% of the time peple ask if we like living in such a big city, and the rest of the time they seem to know where we mean. BUT having said that we have only travelled on the west coast of the US and to Yellowstone,
Carina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
Ken_Breadbox
Mouseketeer

Last time we drove down, the overnight stop was Charlotte, NC. I went book shopping at Northlake Mall and my accent gave my Canuckness away, and so I got the "where are you from" question. I said "Waterloo, Ontario" and my jaw dropped when the clerk said she'd driven to Kitchener for Oktoberfest three years previous...
Ken_Breadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
Canadian Disney Mom
Formerly Tollerwalker - original join date July 2005

I used to say New Brunswick, but then they always say "Oh, New Jersey!" or "Is that near Toronto?". So now we say "New Brunswick Canada, which is just north of Maine".

I don't even go down the Quispamsis road...
Past Trips to Disneyworld, Disneyland, and Disney Cruises:WDW-1: May 1998 (Off Property), WDW-2: Apr 2002 (Off Property), WDW-3: Feb 2005 (All-Star Movies), WDW-4: Apr 2006 (SSR), WDW-5: April 2008 (AKV Jambo), WDW-6: Dec 2009 (AKV Kidani & SSR), WDW-7: Jul 2010 (AKV Jambo), WDW-8: Apr 2011 (Off Property), WDW-9: Jun-Jul 2012 (BLT, BWV & AKV Jambo), WDW-10: Dec 2012-Jan 2013 (AKV Jambo), WDW-11: Mar 2013 (BLT & AKV Kidani), WDW-12: June/July 2014 (AKV Jambo, VFW),WDW-13: Nov 2014 (VGF,BCV),WDW-14: Mar 2015 (SSR),DLR-1: Nov 2010 (Off Property), DLR-2: Jan 2012 (VGC), DCL-1: Jan 2012 (Disney Wonder 7 night MR)
Twitter ID: @CanadaDisneyMom
Canadian Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #29
modegard
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis_guy View Post
We usually just go with "Canada". If they ask what part, we just say Alberta. That's when we usually get the glazed over look, if not we say "It's in the west, north of Montana". That usually ends it, especially if they don't really know where Montana is!
We have had the exact same experience. Surprising how many don't know where Montana is as well.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #30
dvc deernut
DIS Veteran

we usually say just north of niagara falls canada. If they say oh weve been there, then we add niagara on the lake, and sometimes they respond by saying oh weve been there thats wine country.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: