Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Caitriona
Mouseketeer

DTD or resort on arrival night?!

On our arrival night (a Saturday) our flight lands at MCO at 5:45 and we'll be taking the Magical Express to our resort (ASMo) so I'm figuring that we'll be there jut after 7 pm for check-in, and we'll be relying on Disney transport (we're not renting a car)

Right now, I'm trying to figure out if that would be too late to go to DTD for a quick bite to eat at Earl of Sandwich and to have a quick look around at Goofy's and the World of Disney store. Our bodies will be an hour behind, so 7 pm will still feel like 6 pm to us...and 6 pm doesn't feel too late, but 7 is kind of starting to...

We'll have a 12-month old, 3-year old and 7-year old and I know that I'll be feeling restless and that I'll want to go to DTD, but I don't know if it would be too much for the kids after a travel day (3 hours to airport and then 2.5 hour flight). I just cannot make myself feel excited about staying at the resort the first evening, but the little voice in my head tells me that it might be the best choice..

We will be going back to watch Wishes in Magic Kingdom one night, which I know is very late in comparison, but I just am really struggling with deciding about our first night...or maybe see if we can fit a short trip in to DTD after our AK or DHS day?! I guess I really don't want to 'have' to fit DTD in and would love to get it out of the way the first night.

What do other families with young kids do on arrival night?!
Caitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We'll be getting there this Thursday and we decided to skip going to DTD. It's kind of a waste for us because all that's there really is shopping and we're not big into that. Would rather go to a park for a few hours. If you've never been there though, go and check it out. Have fun!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
disny_luvr
DIS Veteran

I'd probably skip DTD on arrival night and hang out at the resort. When we took our sons for their first trip we arrived at POP at about 6:00 PM. We were only staying for one night before moving over to CBR the next day. I was itching to get to the parks and we, too, had contemplated going to DTD for a light dinner and to do some shopping, but I thought it was just too much for our sons, who were two-years-old at the time. Instead, we spent the night exploring POP and checking out all the icons. We ate in the food court and browsed the gift shop. We had planned on swimming but our boys were so tired we called it a night shortly after 8:30. Looking back I'm glad we skipped DTD on that first night. I think my little guys would have been grouchy from our long day of travel. We were able to enjoy it later on in our trip. If I were you, I'd probably explore the resort, eat, unpack and maybe take a swim. Plan on getting to bed early so you can get up early and head to the parks. Enjoy your trip!

Upcoming Trips:
WDW ~ June/July 2015 ~ I just can't decide where to stay
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
Past Trips:
* Polynesian ~ August, 2014 *
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
disny_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
disny_luvr
DIS Veteran

Oh, I wanted to add that if your flight lands at 5:45 you may not arrive at your resort by 7:00. Usually when we land we make a bee-line to the bathroom and sometimes, depending on what time our flight is, we catch a quick bite to eat before heading to ME. I usually plan on arriving at our resort more like two hours after we land. That may just be my family though. I'm sure many families are probably more in a hurry than we are to leave the airport and be on their way.

Upcoming Trips:
WDW ~ June/July 2015 ~ I just can't decide where to stay
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
Past Trips:
* Polynesian ~ August, 2014 *
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
disny_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
luckyfin
Coming out of hiding

Because you are coming in late and the ages of your kids, I would vote to stick around the resort. Explore and take a swim. The resorts all have so much to see. Traveling is tiring and it will worth it to be refreshed and ready to hit the parks on the first full day.
POR 2011 DD's 1st Trip Pop 2012 POFQ 2013 Offsite 2014 POR 2015
luckyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
jtopp
driving the monorail in my dreams

If we arrive at our resort late in the day, we generally just hang out, have a meal, use the pool or other entertainment, and get to bed early. Most times, after a long travel day, the rest on that first night lets us start our trip energized the next day, while still being "on vacation" and doing the dining and pools. Have a great trip!!!!
7-76- off site;5-80- off site;9-86- off site;5-89- CBR;5-90-CBR;9-91- CBR;9-92 -CBR;5-94- CBR;10-95- CBR;11-96- CBR;10-97- Cont;10-99- BWV;5-00-OKW;10-00- OKW;12-00- Poly;12-01-OKW;05-02-ASM;10-02-Okw;12-03-OKW;10-04-OKW;12-04-OKW;5-05-OKW ;11-05-GKTW; 06-06-OKW; 12-07-dolphin: 5-09-POP :8-09-Hilton :8-10-POP: 7-11-POP: 12-12-POP: 8-13-SSR

DW
dd 25
ds 21
ds 15
jtopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

DH tried to go to Downtown Disney last night (also a Saturday) and there was no place to park in any of the 5 lots. The place was jammed. Not sure if it was because of the Presidents Day Weekend, but.... It might be like that every weekend.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
kcs220
Earning My Ears

Personally, I would be a bit wary of trying to do DTD the night of your arrival, for a few reasons. If you're landing at 5:45, I wouldn't bank on being at the resort by 7 since there are so many things that can pop up - bathroom breaks, a long line for your resort at the airport, your resort not being the bus's first stop, etc. Also, you said that you're relying on Disney transportation, so you're looking at a decent chunk of time there (if you miss the bus you'd have to wait up to 20 minutes for another one, plus travel time, and then you're going to have to spend another chunk of time traveling to get back to the resort to get the kiddos to bed).

Staying at the resort doesn't mean that you have to just plop yourselves down in the room and twiddle your thumbs - there's a lot to do at ASMo! Besides the pools and getting something to eat, there's also the playground and arcade for the kids, and Donald's Double Feature if you want to get a jump on souvenir browsing or just feel the need to move around. Have a great trip!

kcs220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Caitriona
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I think we'll plan on staying at the resort.

I've been thinking about it, and other than Earl of Sandwich and Goofy's, I don't think I'm really too bothered about DTD, so was kind of hoping to 'get it out of the way' if that makes any sense. Probably because we're not really interested in doing much shopping there especially with my 3 year old who wants to buy everything he sees. The more I think about it, the more I realize that the World of Disney would be a nightmare if we barely survive the toy aisle at Target

We are really looking forward to the resort and relaxing & swimming every day after dinner (and not going back to the parks) but maybe we'll decide that we would like a break and decide that we do want to go to DTD even though my 2 oldest kids are looking forward to swimming in Disney more than anything. MY 7 year old DD is the one who has her heart set on DTD so hopefully she won't be too disappointed if we don't make it and she'll have plenty of opportunities to buy souvenirs . If we do, it will be an unplanned bonus

Last edited by Caitriona; 02-19-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Caitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
EKW
DIS Veteran

With kids as young as yours, I'd stick around the resort, let them swim and play. After a long trip, they won't want to be confined to strollers for the trip thru DTD!
Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I would also be in the camp that says skip DTD that day. We made the mistake of going at 6:00 on a Friday night and there was not a single spot to be found to park in after 45 minutes (no joke) of circling all the parking lots. And people were being so crazy while driving that we nearly got into a couple of wrecks. DH finally dropped us off on one end and found a spot all the way down at the other end - was so not worth it for the amount of time it took to walk back to the car with two tired little boys. If we have a DTD trip this time, it will be during a weekday morning or afternoon!

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: