Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Photo Sharing: Photoshop Wonders

(I went back 5 or 6 pages and don't see a similar thread. If it's out there, please feel free to pelt me with rocks and garbage.)

Photos that have had a lot of post processing done on them aren't always welcome in other threads, but that's not the case here. This is the place to show us the true wonders you've worked with Photoshop, Paintshop, or other software products. Amaze us with your digital darkroom miracles!

We want to see the full range of what can be done, so feel free to post everything from simple cropping and color corrections to full-out image manipulation. Was that really you in the 3 O'Clock parade that day, or are you really good at cutting and pasting? Is that abstract piece of art something out of the Metropolitan Museum, or the result of a cool technique you've mastered with Photoshop filters? Show us how striking B&W can be. Have a shot that was absolutely awful -- until you breathed new life into it with your computer? Post it! Bring on the HDRs, too! (There's love for them here.)

Please show us both the before and after photos, when possible. Also please tell us what software you used and describe any special techniques.

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 02-17-2012 at 05:45 PM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Ok, I'll go first. But I'm really just learning the software.

Edited in Photoshop CS5.1. Content aware fill to remove lamp post and chain from castle photo. Content aware fill and clone stamp to remove lanyard, camera strap, name tag, and some sweat from the picture of me. Smart edge selection and edge refine to cut myself out of the Epcot photo.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Fastpaks
Living the Dream, One Image at a time!

I hope more will post. I'm looking at getting into photography. I have always been into it. Recently, I have been messing around with my own pictures in something like Picnic. When I get my 1st Dlsr in a few days )Likely the Nikon 3100, I would be looking at software next.) This could be a GREAT learning thread! Especially if you all list what you did in post and what software.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

This could be very interesting... did you only want Disney pics? Or does anything go?

Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Anything
Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Not to sound crazy but DH says that he is impressed especially with the chest portion, it is hard to get details like that to look good, especially with skin colors and transition from skin to shirt, you even added some sweat.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Those who foresake Photoshop are missing out on opportunities to turn something bland into something useful. It doesn't have to mean manipulation, but that's handy when you need it.

I took this shot of the Beanstalk on a bland, overcast day.

I could just say, "Well, the weather sucked, but those are the rules of photography!" Maybe I could go back another time when the weather is great? Another option would be to take pictures of the sky on nice days and use it to replace the bland, overcast sky.

wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeem View Post
I took this shot of the Beanstalk on a bland, overcast day.
Talk about adding interest to a photo. Nicely done!

And no, I haven't forgotten to post to this thread. Having computer troubles and haven't found the time to get my photo files off the old 'puter yet.

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Did you specifically add some blue to the leaves, or was that just a result of the overall brightening of the image?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
Did you specifically add some blue to the leaves, or was that just a result of the overall brightening of the image?
Nope, I didn't add any blue. However, I did some other post processing on the final image and that may have added some of the blue cast on the leaves.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Okay, this one is giving me a real challenge. It was taken at a playground, and she's crawling through a yellow plastic tunnel. So of course, the white balance is horrible. I don't want to take away all the yellow, but I also would rather her not look like an Umpa Lumpa.

Exploring the jungle gym at the playground by BirdsOfPreyDave, on Flickr

The problem is that a normal white balance shows through for the circle of playground behind her. If I adjust the white balance for her, it totally blows out the background.

I've created a virtual copy of the image in Lightroom, and adjusted two different white balances (the two photos, above)... one image balanced for inside the tunnel, and the other balanced for the circle of sunlight behind. I've then merged them as layers into Photoshop CS6, and used a mask to cut her out of the tunnel layer so the photo white-balanced for her shows through. It looks much better, but I'm still seeing some glowing blue around the edge of her coat. I've touched it up a little by warming up and desaturating those spots a little with brush back in Lightroom, but I'm still not satisfied. Maybe also a 3rd layer for her fingers. It looks a little like she's been finger painting with pink paint.

Back to Kelby Training to re-watch the videos on Photoshop selections and masks, again. I think I'm on the right track, just need to hone my skills some more.

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 06-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
extreme8
Mouseketeer

I'll play

Here's one.
I thought the tractor shot had potential but the background was awful.

I Went into my archives and found a barn/foliage shot I had taken where the sun was at a similar angle.
Took some time doing the extraction with the pen tool. I paid attention to the details to make the composite as convincing as possible. Each of the tines on the roller at the back of the trailer, all of the control levers, the openings in the engine bay were all had to look right.
In the final I removed some of the background blur I had introduced and in a 12x18 print I made there is virtually no tell-tale that this is photoshopped.

extreme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Very nice. Lot of work in that one. If I ever get my photos off my almost dead computer, I'll post too.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Wow, what a total transformation. Great job.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme8 View Post
Here's one.
I thought the tractor shot had potential but the background was awful.

I Went into my archives and found a barn/foliage shot I had taken where the sun was at a similar angle.
Took some time doing the extraction with the pen tool. I paid attention to the details to make the composite as convincing as possible. Each of the tines on the roller at the back of the trailer, all of the control levers, the openings in the engine bay were all had to look right.
In the final I removed some of the background blur I had introduced and in a 12x18 print I made there is virtually no tell-tale that this is photoshopped.

That's an exemplary job of compositing. The tractor image is a good candidate for it (despite the tedious path-building you had to use to make the mask or selection); it allowed you to completely hide the transition "behind" the foreground elements of the tractor, the wagon, and the stacked wood. And the background image is a good match as well. Not only does it fit the foreground in terms of subject matter and "emotional tone" (i.e., the background looks like it really could have been the real background to the scene), but there's just enough sunlit grass visible in the lower left third to match the grass in the foreground.

Kudos!

SSB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: