Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Niebz
DIS Veteran
 
Niebz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 532

Disney Premier Annual Pass upgrade questions

So, we're planning a May trip to WDW and I'm trying to figure out which tickets to purchase. We have Disneyland premium annual passes that expire shortly after our trip so I'm thinking our cheapest option would be to upgrade those to Premier passes. Here are my questions:

1) Can I upgrade my Disneyland annual passes to premier passes at any WDW ticketing location?

2) When I purchased my Disneyland annual passes they cost $429 each but they are now listed at $499 each (they literally went up in price the day after we bought them). Will I get credit for the price I paid or the price they are now? I'm hoping the upgrade would cost $250 each otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment
 
Cheshire Figment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Poinciana, FL (20 miles to WDW)
Posts: 38,457

1. The Premier Pass can only be issued at a Guest Relations Window at Downtown Disney or the Four Theme Parks (except not the Epcot International Gateway). This is because they require special ticket stock and printers and so are only at those six locations.

2. As long as any Disney ticket has been used, it is considered to be worth the Current Gate Price when you upgrade to any higher level of ticket.

If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in this Forum, especially Post #3 and #7, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature. The ticket sticky is your friend!
__________________
41 WDW Stays Totaling 321 nights between 1987 and mid-2003. (When "commuting" from Northern Virginia.)

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran
 
SuzanneSLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 3,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
[snip]2. As long as any Disney ticket has been used, it is considered to be worth the Current Gate Price when you upgrade to any higher level of ticket. [snip]
I did not realize that was true for DL APs at WDW. At DL, you have historically only been credited with the actual amount paid. When we upgraded our DL APs which we bought before a price increase to a Premier at DL, we were only credited with the amount paid even though the gate price had increased since we purchased them. We should have waited and upgraded them at WDW the next day! -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
BrettS
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,613

Like CF said, you will get credit for the current gate price of the pass, however, AP upgrades are not pro-rated and since you mentioned that your AP's expire shortly after your next trip then it hardly seems worth it to spend $250 to upgrade your AP's and then only get one trip out of it.

If you're planning to renew your DL AP's anyway and you think you might be able to get another WDW trip in next year you might want to just purchase a new Premier AP for your trip in may and then let your existing DL AP's expire. You'd lose the renewal discount, and you'd lose a bit of time with the expiration date, but if you can (and want to) get another WDW trip in then this might be a better option in the long run.
BrettS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
scion5220
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettS View Post
Like CF said, you will get credit for the current gate price of the pass, however, AP upgrades are not pro-rated and since you mentioned that your AP's expire shortly after your next trip then it hardly seems worth it to spend $250 to upgrade your AP's and then only get one trip out of it.

If you're planning to renew your DL AP's anyway and you think you might be able to get another WDW trip in next year you might want to just purchase a new Premier AP for your trip in may and then let your existing DL AP's expire. You'd lose the renewal discount, and you'd lose a bit of time with the expiration date, but if you can (and want to) get another WDW trip in then this might be a better option in the long run.
It really depends on how long the trip is, doesn't it? You basically get an unlimited park hopper with water parks and more and parking and discounts for that $250.
scion5220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Niebz
DIS Veteran
 
Niebz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettS View Post
Like CF said, you will get credit for the current gate price of the pass, however, AP upgrades are not pro-rated and since you mentioned that your AP's expire shortly after your next trip then it hardly seems worth it to spend $250 to upgrade your AP's and then only get one trip out of it.

If you're planning to renew your DL AP's anyway and you think you might be able to get another WDW trip in next year you might want to just purchase a new Premier AP for your trip in may and then let your existing DL AP's expire. You'd lose the renewal discount, and you'd lose a bit of time with the expiration date, but if you can (and want to) get another WDW trip in then this might be a better option in the long run.
We've ran all the numbers and upgrading is the best option for us because we won't be renewing our DL AP. We live in Canada so we always let our passes lapse because our trips are always at least several months apart so it doesn't make sense to renew them for the months we're away. We'll most likely buy new annual passes in December at WDW so that they're good for all of 2013 but depending on how things go we may not even make that Christmas trip. We basically want to do what's cheapest in the short term.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
yoyoyo
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 152

We're thinking of doing the same thing. We are going to WDW in April and wanted to upgrade to premier. If DL premium passes don't expire until September, if we upgrade, do we only get the premier pass until this year September, or would it change the expiration date to April of 2013? Thanks!!
yoyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran
 
smile4stamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!
Posts: 4,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyo View Post
We're thinking of doing the same thing. We are going to WDW in April and wanted to upgrade to premier. If DL premium passes don't expire until September, if we upgrade, do we only get the premier pass until this year September, or would it change the expiration date to April of 2013? Thanks!!
The expiration date does not change on the upgrade.. It will be whatever your original pass expiration date was.
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Huff
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,706

We just did this last month on our WDW visit. We booked a package that included a 10 day hopper. On our last day we decided it was a good idea to upgrade to a premier AP since we visit DL quite often. We did not have time to visit a park on our last day which is the only place to get the premier pass. Not wanting to lose the credit from our MYW passes we instead upgraded to a WDW AP which can be done at resorts. Next month we'll be visiting DL and upgrade the WDW AP to a premier AP.

We do have DL AP's but they expire next month. There was no cost advantage to renew and then upgrade them as we had free dining which requires at least a 2 day MYW pass. In all, it cost us about $350 for a premier pass thats good for another year. Thats cheaper than just a DL AP renewal.
__________________
1979-2012 Disneyland AP'ers
2005 Offsite
2006 POP
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran
 
SuzanneSLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 3,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
We just did this last month on our WDW visit. We booked a package that included a 10 day hopper. On our last day we decided it was a good idea to upgrade to a premier AP since we visit DL quite often. We did not have time to visit a park on our last day which is the only place to get the premier pass. Not wanting to lose the credit from our MYW passes we instead upgraded to a WDW AP which can be done at resorts. Next month we'll be visiting DL and upgrade the WDW AP to a premier AP.

We do have DL AP's but they expire next month. There was no cost advantage to renew and then upgrade them as we had free dining which requires at least a 2 day MYW pass. In all, it cost us about $350 for a premier pass thats good for another year. Thats cheaper than just a DL AP renewal.
Will you be upgrading to the Premier before or after your DL AP expires? While I have been told that a guest may have both a Premier and an AP at the same time, it may cause computer glitches. We renewed our Premier AP early but downgraded to a Deluxe. While the Premier should have still been valid, we could not use it for Fastpasses and sometimes not for admission. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
Huff
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,706

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Will you be upgrading to the Premier before or after your DL AP expires? While I have been told that a guest may have both a Premier and an AP at the same time, it may cause computer glitches. We renewed our Premier AP early but downgraded to a Deluxe. While the Premier should have still been valid, we could not use it for Fastpasses and sometimes not for admission. -- Suzanne
Thats a bit different that what we're doing. Currently we now have both a valid WDW AP and a valid DL AP. One week before the DL AP expires we will be upgrading our WDW AP to the Premier. I'll have to make sure with the CM's that theres no problem.
__________________
1979-2012 Disneyland AP'ers
2005 Offsite
2006 POP
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
woofiejd
Earning My Ears
 
woofiejd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 26

Question Complimentary Annual Pass

We will be receiving complimentary annual passes from our Disney wedding in December. Is there any way to upgrade them to a Premier Pass?
woofiejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran
 
mytripsandraces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Will you be upgrading to the Premier before or after your DL AP expires? While I have been told that a guest may have both a Premier and an AP at the same time, it may cause computer glitches. We renewed our Premier AP early but downgraded to a Deluxe. While the Premier should have still been valid, we could not use it for Fastpasses and sometimes not for admission. -- Suzanne
Do you mean Premium or Premier? I didn't know there were different classes of Premier APs. I thought the Premier was a premium AP for WDW and DL.
__________________
mytripsandraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran
 
SuzanneSLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 3,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytripsandraces View Post
Do you mean Premium or Premier? I didn't know there were different classes of Premier APs. I thought the Premier was a premium AP for WDW and DL.
We had a Premier which expired in late June and "renewed" it in early June to a DL Deluxe AP. We had problems at DL while both passes were still valid. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment
 
Cheshire Figment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Poinciana, FL (20 miles to WDW)
Posts: 38,457

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofiejd View Post
We will be receiving complimentary annual passes from our Disney wedding in December. Is there any way to upgrade them to a Premier Pass?
Hi and to DisBoards

Unfortunately the answer is no.

If you go to the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets in this Forum, especially Post #15-E, you can get a lot more information. An easy way to get to the sticky is by clicking on the link in my signature. The ticket sticky is your friend!
__________________
41 WDW Stays Totaling 321 nights between 1987 and mid-2003. (When "commuting" from Northern Virginia.)

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: