Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
DarkPhant0m
Earning My Ears

I hate dress shopping!

And I haven't even started yet, lol! I know this probably sounds weird, but I am dreading going and looking for a dress! I am a buy it, take it home, and then try it on kind of girl. Or I buy it online. These are two things that I can't easily do with a wedding dress.

My MOH and I decided that we would go next weekend and look at dresses. I'm going to ask my mom if she wants to go, because that's the nice thing to do and I don't want to hurt her feelings in the long run. I doubt she's going to want to go, but I guess there's hope. I know she looked at the STD I left for her, it's sitting on her desk, opened. But she's being overly nice. I can tell she wants to say something to me, but she won't. And I'm not going to bring it up either. The ball is in her court for now.

But anyways, here are the dresses I'm considering. I never wear dresses. Ever. But I was told by the DF that I need to make an exception just this once, lol! Any input from you guys would be great (if there is anyone still out there? )! And as a side note, our wedding colors are Cobalt blue, Orange, and Pink. I loved lurkyloo's scheme and it helped that those are our favorite colors and they work so well together! So, all of the dresses I've picked out are able to have color added to them, so the plan is for the dress to be white with cobalt/royal blue accents.

Dress #1) My MOH's favorite:

Alfred Angelo Style 1516

Dress #2) My favorite!:

Alfred Angelo Style 1797

Dress #3) I love the front, hoping it will take away from my belly and hips. I'm built small on top, bigger in the hips. Classic pear is what I was told. Whatev. My MOH doesn't like it because there's no train. I think it would be nice to not have to mess with a bustle, but at the same time, I like the way some bustles look.

Forever Yours Style ??

There are other dresses I have saved, but I think these are the top 3. Opinions? Other suggestions? Also, if anyone out there has any tips on getting a dress cheaper than msrp, please let me know! I don't want a chinese knock-off! I want the real thing, and I know that comes at a price. But I have been scouring websites that have used dresses and I'm not finding what I want. Which isn't that surprising, to be honest. I wonder when the next AA sale is??

In other news: The photographer is officially booked!! He got our contract and deposit and is sending me a planning packet to work on over the next few months! We're going with Jason Angelini, and securing him for our date was the second most important thing I wanted for our wedding! I had seen the work he did for Wendy's (weedee) wedding and I was hooked! I've been cyber-stalking his blog and FB page and I just fell in love with his style, it's exactly what I was looking for!

I am in touch with Beaute Speciale for hair and make-up and they are available for my date! I am just waiting to hear back from them on the contract and that will be good to go. Question: Has anyone on here who's used them had them do a tattoo cover up? I'm looking to have 2 covered for pictures and I just wanted a general idea on how they do it. I'm so clueless when it comes to hair and make-up. I was one of those girls who was too busy playing in dirt and fixing computers to care about that stuff. It seems to have bitten me in the butt now, lol! Oh! And any advice on regular make-up vs. airbrushing? What's the difference? I want to go with a very natural look since I never wear make-up.

I think we want to have a musician at the ceremony, so I'm thinking about emailing the harpist everyone uses. Christine McPhail (?) www.orlandoharpist.com I know she comes highly recommended. I just hope she's in the budget!

And I still need to contact the bakery. I want to try It's Tasty Too, based on recommendations as well. We're going for a Mad Hatter/Topsy Turvy cake! It's going to be small, but who cares!? It's wedding cake!!! Anyone have any advice on using them?

Our 12/12/12 S&D Wedding PJ

First Family Vacation 7/88
Family Vacation - 8/10
Wedding Trip - 12/12/12
DarkPhant0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

I am so not a shopper either. I was able to save some money by looking at the website of the store I went to (House of Brides) and finding the dresses I wanted to try on (and they were on sale). HOB matched their internet website prices saving me about $100. Good luck wedding shopping! I love that first dress.

I just booked Christine for my wedding and am using It's Tasty Too as well.

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Jilian
DIS Veteran

Your engagement ring is gorgrous!! I love it! I went with sapphire for my wedding band.

Good work on the STDs too (I hate that abbreviation too, when I first joined here I was wondering what on earth people were talking about)

Yay for dress shopping! I think there was another Dis bride that did dress #1 but with red. I hope your mom comes around soon. I hope she goes dress shopping with you so you can have a mother-daughter bonding experience. I'm bad at choosing dresses so I'm no help there, just try a bunch on and be open to switching your style. I went in with about 8 pictures of dresses I liked and they looked so different on. I ended up hating most of my top picks and going with a dress I would have never picked.

Yeah for booking Jason for a photographer, he's done some really great work!

I'm using beaute speciale too, I had a trial with Jackie and she was really nice. I thought airbrushing was more for people with problem skin by some of the other girls here say no. I went with just regular makeup and it was fine. Just tell them you want to look natural. I brought pictures of the hair and makeup I wanted and they made it happen.

I don't have experience with Its tasty too or the harpist, but I've heard lots of great things about both of them recently here. I know Joanne used its tasty too and I think Faith is too. I think she recently had a tasting with them that she talked about in her PJ.

Your colors sound great, we are doing pink and blue too. The orange will really make your colors pop.

I can't wait to hear how dress shopping goes, take pictures!

Adventures in vow renewal planning! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2727345
Jilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
PrincessMelo
Earning My Ears

Hi there! I just read what you have so far & I can relate to you about your momma drama. My mom is also not so lovey dovey with me either. I'm the oldest of 4 & I'm active duty AF so even though i hardly see her, when i do, it seems she'd rather spend time with my sis & brothers. I'm the only one with the kids but whatev. Anyhow, I know she will be less than thrilled when i tell her that me & DH are renewing our vows & how its such a total waste of money & its not necessary. She is always so negative. So i'm hesitating about how she'll react when i get out my STD's (i know that abbreviation is terrible?!) But, hang in there. Maybe since you are just getting married, she'll see it more special i hope? I love your story too btw! =)

PrincessMelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
DarkPhant0m
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
I am so not a shopper either. I was able to save some money by looking at the website of the store I went to (House of Brides) and finding the dresses I wanted to try on (and they were on sale). HOB matched their internet website prices saving me about $100. Good luck wedding shopping! I love that first dress.

I just booked Christine for my wedding and am using It's Tasty Too as well.
I had read somewhere that AA was no longer being affiliated with House of Brides, so that may be out. I did see that their prices were affordable though. I'll have to look into the rumor more and see what it's all about. I didn't realize they even had a brick & mortar store!? I will look into that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Your engagement ring is gorgrous!! I love it! I went with sapphire for my wedding band.
Thank you!! I was dead set on having this style ring! I was very lucky to find a great deal on it and I just went for it! Our wedding bands are going to be matching Tungsten carbide with blue sea glass inlaid in the band. I'll post a picture soon!

Good work on the STDs too (I hate that abbreviation too, when I first joined here I was wondering what on earth people were talking about)
Thanks! I was feeling really bad that I had remade someone else's idea, but it was just a perfect design for what we wanted. And getting them for FREE?! Nothing better than that!

Yay for dress shopping! I think there was another Dis bride that did dress #1 but with red. I hope your mom comes around soon. I hope she goes dress shopping with you so you can have a mother-daughter bonding experience. I'm bad at choosing dresses so I'm no help there, just try a bunch on and be open to switching your style. I went in with about 8 pictures of dresses I liked and they looked so different on. I ended up hating most of my top picks and going with a dress I would have never picked.
I'll post a little about my mom in my next entry. We did talk yesterday and things went surprisingly well! And I also have about 8-10 dress styles that I am taking with me to look at. I am prepared to realize that no matter how beautiful a dress looks on a size 4 model, it is not going to look exactly the same on my curvy hips! But I am hoping that me and one of these dresses are able to come to a compromise!

Yeah for booking Jason for a photographer, he's done some really great work!

I'm using beaute speciale too, I had a trial with Jackie and she was really nice. I thought airbrushing was more for people with problem skin by some of the other girls here say no. I went with just regular makeup and it was fine. Just tell them you want to look natural. I brought pictures of the hair and makeup I wanted and they made it happen.
I agree with you on the regular vs. airbrushing. I think it would just be better to do the regular make up. It will save me money and I don't really think there's a need to do it. Although I could be wrong. Make-up is not my forte!

I don't have experience with Its tasty too or the harpist, but I've heard lots of great things about both of them recently here. I know Joanne used its tasty too and I think Faith is too. I think she recently had a tasting with them that she talked about in her PJ.
I still have to contact both of them. I won't be able to do a tasting session, but I have faith that it will be awesome! Picking our flavors will be the hard part!

Your colors sound great, we are doing pink and blue too. The orange will really make your colors pop.

I can't wait to hear how dress shopping goes, take pictures!
I will!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMelo View Post
Hi there! I just read what you have so far & I can relate to you about your momma drama. My mom is also not so lovey dovey with me either. I'm the oldest of 4 & I'm active duty AF so even though i hardly see her, when i do, it seems she'd rather spend time with my sis & brothers. I'm the only one with the kids but whatev. Anyhow, I know she will be less than thrilled when i tell her that me & DH are renewing our vows & how its such a total waste of money & its not necessary. She is always so negative. So i'm hesitating about how she'll react when i get out my STD's (i know that abbreviation is terrible?!) But, hang in there. Maybe since you are just getting married, she'll see it more special i hope? I love your story too btw! =)
I'm an only child, so I can't relate too much to having siblings, but as far as Negative Nancy's go, I've dealt with it for a long time. I'll post about it here in a while, but my mom and I did have a talk yesterday about everything. And things went really well! And something I have learned over the past year of "planning": if this is what you and your husband want to do to celebrate your happiness together and your wonderful family, then do it! I agonized for months about having a local wedding or going to Disney. I would have never been happy staying here and having 120+ people, knowing I could have had the wedding of my dreams in Florida with a handful of close family and friends. Do what you feel in your heart to be right, and you will never be wrong. (Can't remember who said that lol)

Family Vacation - 8/10
Wedding Trip - 12/12/12
Old 02-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

Hi sweetie!!
I can highly recommend both Christine and Heather!!!
Christine charged us $375.00 (I think), for her services at the West Courtyard last May and was worth every penny!!!
Heather at It's Tasty is wonderful and nailed my vision of the cake perfectly with very little direction!!!
Both were absolutely wonderful to work with!!!

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #22
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Your story is so sweet! What a lovely little family. I'm sorry your parents aren't being as supportive as you'd hoped.
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
belle2211
DIS Veteran

I second (or maybe its third by now) on both Beaute Special and It's Tasty Too. I used Beaute Special (Jackie) for my engagement photos, wedding, and MK Bridal Shoot. She's great! And I had Its Tasty Too do my groomscake. I'm local so I got to go cake tasting several places around town and I can honestly say that their flavors were the best (and the best price too). Plus she make the grooms cake EXACTLY what I wanted! You won't go wrong with them!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
DarkPhant0m
Earning My Ears

So my mom talked to me the other day about the wedding. She wanted details about when we were going down, coming back, what they needed to pay for, and who all was coming. They were very supportive and I think they're excited to be going back to Disney. At least it seemed that way! My MOH yelled at me for not telling them sooner, knowing they would be fine with it, but I'm glad I waited until I had all my little ducks in a row and I was prepared to defend myself if necessary. I just wasn't prepared for them to be supportive lol! But I'm glad that it's all finally out in the open and we can just move on with the planning. They said they were coming, so at least I know I will have 3 people in the seats watching the ceremony

I submitted my deposit for Beaute Speciale yesterday for 2 hair and 2 make-up services. She also has me down for tattoo cover-up and she did warn me about how easy it is to transfer the make-up to a dress. And that it was VERY hard to remove if it got on there. That's something to think about. I told her to leave it on the contract for now and if I change my mind she will take it off later. And she also said that she put us down for 9am to noon. ??? This really threw me off! Here's the run down of how I had the day planned:

Have my hair and make-up going around 11am.
Photographer shows up at noon.
I'm dressed and out the door at 1:30pm.
Take photos at 2-3 different resorts until 3pm.
Get to Swan by 3:30pm.
Ceremony at 4pm.
Pictures around Swan after ceremony until 6pm.
Dinner (TBD) at 6:30pm.

I guess hair and make-up is just going to take a lot longer than I had planned. I guess that also means no sleeping in for me lol!!

I'm going to contact the bakery today and the harpist and see what I can find out. I'm feeling really under the weather, so I don't feel like doing much. Hopefully I get to feeling better soon so I can go try on dresses next weekend! I'm excited, but dreading it at the same time! My next task is deciding where to stay. I think I'm going to need lots of help figuring that out!

Family Vacation - 8/10
Wedding Trip - 12/12/12

Last edited by DarkPhant0m; 02-24-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: ...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
DarkPhant0m
Earning My Ears

Ok, I need help. I'm turning to my trusty friends here because I know of no one else who can help me with my dilema. I don't know where to stay at Disney!

So, we know that we can only afford to stay at a Value resort and we can only stay for about a week (Dec 8th - 15th), basically. BUT, the rooms in the Value Resorts are so tiny! And I really, really, really don't want my "getting prepped" pictures to be cheesy comforters and 10 girls crammed into an itty bitty living space all trying to do 1,000 different things! I really want to stay at the CBR (I hope I get my acronyms right, I'm still learning lol) but I don't think we can afford that either and I know the rooms are still on the small side. And if I do stay there, I would want the Pirates themed room (who wouldn't?! ) and I REALLY don't want my pictures taken with me sitting on a pirate ship bed!

So my next thought was "What if we try and rent points from someone for DVC?" I know I've seen people do it before and I know there is a whole board dedicated to doing that. I've been lurking around on there, trying to figure it all out. But it's so confusing!!! This is how I understand it: People have these extra points to "use or loose" (I'm guessing) so they put them out there for people to rent. The owner of the points is the one who makes the reservations for the renter and then the renter pays the owner directly? I'm not too sure about that part yet. I looked at a few of the charts that they have available on the board and I was looking at OKW and BWV since they were simililar in points per night and the cost per point. I liked the thought of staying at BWV since then we wouldn't have to drive to the S/D for the ceremony. We could just take pictures along the way and walk our way over. BUT the artsy side of me really wants pictures at places like the Poly, CBR (from what I've seen the outside is beautiful!), maybe the Boardwalk, and if I can sneak it in, the GF (doubtful, but worth a shot).

Back to my original point. If I do my math correctly, and I'm probably not, am I correct in saying that a week at either OKW or BWV would only be about $836? (not including tax, etc) 76 points a week @ about $11 per point? Is that right?! Or am I totally missing something? I mean, what's the catch!?

And while I'm sitting here going bonkers trying to figure this all out, I may have just solved my photography problem?! If we stayed at OKW, then drove to CBR (I really don't want to drive anywhere in my dress! ), took pictures, drove to the Boardwalk, took pictures and walked (?) to the Swan. Have our Ceremony, then drive to the GF, do a few pictures there (or eliminate it completely) then go to the Poly and finish off pictures and then have dinner there?! What's there to eat at the Poly? lol Remember, no reception, just about 10-12 people having a nice dinner. Characters wouldn't be bad either. I don't mind cheating a little for some cute snapshots of me in my dress with some characters! lol

Gahhhhhhh! I am stressing about this so bad! Heck, planning the actual wedding has been a breeze compared to this!!! Can someone please help me? Advice would be so greatly appreciated right now! I just need to figure out where to stay I guess. I want the day to flow smoothly and I just need a little help figuring out how to get from place to place and squeeze it all in. Help!

Family Vacation - 8/10
Wedding Trip - 12/12/12
Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #26
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhant0m View Post
And while I'm sitting here going bonkers trying to figure this all out, I may have just solved my photography problem?! If we stayed at OKW, then drove to CBR (I really don't want to drive anywhere in my dress! ), took pictures, drove to the Boardwalk, took pictures and walked (?) to the Swan. Have our Ceremony, then drive to the GF, do a few pictures there (or eliminate it completely) then go to the Poly and finish off pictures and then have dinner there?! What's there to eat at the Poly? lol Remember, no reception, just about 10-12 people having a nice dinner. Characters wouldn't be bad either. I don't mind cheating a little for some cute snapshots of me in my dress with some characters! lol
I can't comment on points since I know nothing about them. I am doing something kind of similar with pictures. I am staying BC, then taking the boat to the Swan for the ceremony/cake, then back to BC, then driving over to Poly. From there we are going to take the monorail around the resort loop. Not sure if we will stop for pictures all along the way, or just get monorail ones. We are having dinner at Ohanas which is one of our favorite restaurants. There are no characters for dinner. We are also going to watch Wishes from the beach there. Another restaurant there is Kona Cafe that is really good.

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #27
DarkPhant0m
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
I can't comment on points since I know nothing about them. I am doing something kind of similar with pictures. I am staying BC, then taking the boat to the Swan for the ceremony/cake, then back to BC, then driving over to Poly. From there we are going to take the monorail around the resort loop. Not sure if we will stop for pictures all along the way, or just get monorail ones. We are having dinner at Ohanas which is one of our favorite restaurants. There are no characters for dinner. We are also going to watch Wishes from the beach there. Another restaurant there is Kona Cafe that is really good.
Thanks for the info! We are counter service/food court penny pinchers, so we only treated ourselves to one sit down meal the last time we were there. We haven't ventured into the world of food at Disney yet, lol! DF and I pulled up Ohana's and Kona Cafe last night and checked out the menus. Everything sounds awesome, but I don't know how the rest of the party would feel about the food. We've decided to have at least one meal at Ohanas while we're down there, but it won't be for our wedding dinner.

Which brings me back to what to do for the wedding day and the photography. We decided to eat at Il Mulino after the wedding ceremony. It's pasta and you can't go wrong with pasta! I know that everyone will be able to find something to eat there! So, since Il Mulio is at the Swan, I decided to just do pictures at CBR and the Poly since those are the two I want the most. I figure we will have about 2 1/2 hours to get pictures at both places and have time to get to the Swan. Then we'll just do pictures around the Swan with the kids after the ceremony, before dinner. Can you walk to the Boardwalk from the Swan?? I thought about doing pictures there with the kids, but if we can't walk there I'll forget about it. Heck, my 3 1/2 year old might not even cooperate for pictures lol!

So now I just need to figure out this whole DVC point renting thing! I still think there's some sort of catch or something that I'm missing. I pulled up a standard reservation online last night for us and the two kids at OKW and it said it would be $2700 for the week!? I just don't see how I could get a room for almost $2000 cheaper by renting?! I've learned that if it's too good to be true, then it most likely is! But I could be wrong! Here's to hoping for lots of Pixie Dust

Family Vacation - 8/10
Wedding Trip - 12/12/12
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

I can help you with the points stuff... I rent all the time. PM me with your questions
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #29
DarkPhant0m
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLuvLuv View Post
I can help you with the points stuff... I rent all the time. PM me with your questions
I sent you a PM!

Family Vacation - 8/10
Wedding Trip - 12/12/12
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #30
Jilian
DIS Veteran

Yes you can walk to the boardwalk from the swan, it is really close. You can pretty much see the entrance from crescent terrace at the swan.

DVC point renting:
You e-mail the owner (or point rental company) with your request and they check availability. Then if your date is available and you come to an agreement the owner of the points makes the reservation. He/she should send you the reservation and it should be in your name and in the system with a reservation number. Then you check to make sure it is in the system. Check here: https://secure.reservations.disney.g...ageRender=true It is best to get a contract too, to cover your butt. Then when you confirm the reservation is in the system you make your payment, pay by credit if possible because it is safer. Most renters accept paypal. Once you make your payment you're all set!

The first itme I rented was a few weeks ago for my son's birthday and I was nervous about renting from a person so I went through the Timeshare Store. They rent discount points for $10 point now or non-discount points for $12 per point. They are easy to work with. The discount points are usually short notice, they discount them because they are about to expire.

I just did my first rental on the Dis rental forum from a private person and so far so good. Stalk the forum, a lot of times people put up really inexpeisive points. I was able to get them for $8/point because I kept watching the forum for a week or so and jumped on the points when they were first posted.

Good luck! I hope that makes sense.

Adventures in vow renewal planning! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2727345
Jilian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: