Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #76
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Hey Courtney!! I didn't realize you had started! Just wanted to subscribe now-- I have to go back and read the updates! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!
Yay! So glad you made it over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle aube View Post
It's so fun to see how your plans turned into the actual trip! Thanks for sharing your family's trip!
It is always interesting to compare the plans to the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
Wow, that was not the beginning I was expecting... and I'm sure you weren't either! I think sometimes it's hard for people who have grown up in a certain manner to recognize like, how amazing it is to be able to stay at BC, nevermind have a really nice room... I think sometimes people just take things a little for granted.

I know I've been guilty of it at times myself with where my DH and I are now compared to where we were when we first met as poor college students!

It's good that you and Miguel were so happy with your room though. And it is BEAUTIFUL! It's funny though how different the decor is from the Beach Club Villas. Definitely a lot more updated, that's for sure. But even then, during our stay in January, I was just so thrilled to be staying at Beach Club and so close to everything that I didn't care.

I will say though that it seemed like a good call to get things off your chest instead of just letting it bottle up inside. It probably would've led to a meltdown later on for you, which is never a fun thing.

Also, I'm definitely glad it ended up being the worst of the problems during your trip... definitely a relief!

Glad everyone also appreciated the quick walk to Epcot; it was SO nice to be so close so you could stroll over whenever you wanted to. I also think it's a great location for an older crowd who isn't as into attractions..

Can't wait to see what your next day in the parks holds!
My thoughts exactly! I think I was more frustrated with the fact that I know there are so many people who would LOVE to stay at the BC and can't, and they were all taking it for granted. This is why I love traveling with Miguel. I honestly think he would be blown away by any hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrafter View Post
I don't think you were being negative-you're just telling it how it is! I tend to take things very personally as well so I definitely know where you were coming from. I'm so happy that you said something to your grandmother. It sounds like it cleared the air for your fun and enjoyable evening in Epcot!
I'm glad you don't think I was being to negative! It's difficult to share the not so magical moments, but they were definitely part of the trip so I feel it is my duty to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaKnits View Post
Loved your update! You weren't Debbie Downer at all! I was waiting until after your trip to mention, but last year I went on an all girls trip to visit my Grandma in Asheville, NC. It was originally just going to be my mom and me and we had planned to fly. But then my sister decided that she wanted to go, and she couldn't afford to fly. So we agreed to drive. Its about 14 hours from my home to Asheville. I don't wan't to be cooped up in a car any longer than absolutely necessary, so wanted to hit the road at about 2 AM, thus missing all of the Chicago area traffic. But, no one else wanted to leave until seven. Then, my sister insisted on having a sit-down breakfast, and refused to go through a drive through somewhere. It was awful! I think I made it to Indiana before I was calling Adam saying it was horrible idea and I wanted to come home.
Thank you! Your car ride sounds miserable. At least our drive was easy - probably because I slept most of the way. If I am learning anything, it's that no one does well on group trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebelle3 View Post
Hi Courtney! I haven't been on the Disboards in so long -- I was so excited to see a new TR from you!

Even though you've just started, let me say, I can totally relate to how you must have felt for most of your trip. I planned a trip for 11 this past Thanksgiving and it was really fun but very stressful -- especially when people didn't like the plans (which I gave them time to review/comment on BEFORE the trip... but anyway..!) By the 3rd night of us all together, I had a little mini-breakdown that involved some tears in the Magic Kingdom, lol.

Glad to hear that things turned around at night, though! Your room looks amazing -- I just love the Beach Club! Can't wait for more updates!
Hey there! It's good to "see" you again! I'm glad you're joining in!

Ugh, it sounds like the group frustrations are a very common occurance. I wonder if there's anyone out there who actually prefers going with a group?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #77
TheThomsLuvDisney
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad the day turned around for you! I know exactly what you were feeling, we always go to WDW with families and friends and I always feel like it is our families job to make sure that everyone is having a great time.

Something else I see that you are experiencing is that it always seems to take longer to get anywhere - you are only as fast, as the slowest member of the group!!!!

DCL Feb 2014 Fantasy Eastern~SSR
DCL Feb 2013 Fantasy Western~BLT
Aulani April 2012
DCL Feb 2011 Dream B2B~AKL
DCL Jan 2010 Magical Eastern~CBR
DCL Jan 2008 Magical Western~SSR
DCL Jan 2006 Magical Western~POP
DCL Jan 2005 Magical Eastern~WL
DCL Jan 1999 7 Day Land/Sea~POFQ
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #78
merbobear
DIS Veteran

I would have been upset with the complaining too...especially since the room pictures you posted were beautiful! What's to complain about? I feel like when you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a really nice vacation in a beautiful resort...what's to complain about? Maybe they were just on edge for some reason and things were coming out the wrong way though. Either way, I am glad that the night improved as you made your way to Epcot and that it ended with a great Illuminations viewing with everyone expressing how impressed they were!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #79
LutheranChick82
I love Disney!

I'm glad that your arrival day got better. I'm sure once everyone is in the Disney parks everyone's moods and attitudes change. I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip.
Read all about our wedding here
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #80
dreamerchic33
Mouseketeer

I am so sorry your arrival day was one with lots of complaints!
We went to Disney one year with our family (for thanksgiving) and it was honestly a really rough trip! So i totally understand where you are coming from!
However, the BC is amazing and your rooms looked beautiful! xxoo
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #81
Mrs T 2009
DIS Veteran

I am just like you with leaving on time!!!! It drives me nuts when we leave late or too close to the time to leave!!! LOL

Your room at BC looks gorgeous! Makes me want to stay there that much sooner!!

Traveling with family is hard. We've traveled to Disney with just my mom ( which was good and bad ) and with my husbands dad and siblings ( we found ourselves repeating "never again" during and after that trip! ) and we decided that just going as us or our own family ( mike me and rylan ) is the best way to go!!! We do want to eventually go back with both my mom and dad since my dad couldn't go when my mom had come with us, but no more big family trips! LOL

I am glad that the "mood" turned itself around for you and the night ended very well I dislike when I plan something and do not get positive feedback from it. It does make one feel rejected in a way or that they didn't plan well enough - though we all know that you plan awesomely!!!! :D
Sept 2009- CSR/ Oct 2010- CSR&CBR/ May 2011-POFQ/ Sept 2011- Bonnet Creek/ Oct 2012- POP!/ April 2013- day trip/ Oct 2013- Disneyland/July 2014-OKW/ Oct 2014- AoA&AKLV/ Jan 2015- Sarasota&GFV/June 2015- AKLV

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #82
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Wow, so sorry your arrival day started off on a bad foot but I'm so glad to hear everyone enjoyed dinner & Illuminations! Bring on MK!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #83
solana131
DIS Veteran

Great update. I think you dealt with the complaining well. Glad you spoke up right off the bat so it wasn't a problem. We were there the 4th-11th so I'll be checking your pics to see if I'm in the background

Teppan looks fun. Will have to try that next time. And we never got to Illuminations the whole week! I can't believe we let that pass us by. Oh well, all the more reason to book a return trip soon

We stayed at the Poly, but we did the BC-Ep walk twice while we were there and it was very quick and convenient. I would definitely consider staying there sometime.

Can't wait to read about your MK day

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #84
oboedm
DIS Veteran

I don't think you were being a Debbie Downer at all! I appreciate your honesty and I can definitely relate. i planned a trip for my family to DLR a year ago, and it seemed like all anyone ever did was complain. I am glad you talked to your grandmother, though. In my family we just simmer until we boil over and make a scene. Not healthy at all!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #85
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

WOW! What an update-I'm not sure where to start!

First, can we truly describe the magic of a chicken-mini from chick-fil-a! ?!?!

I agree about the Beach Club's rooms--They are so pretty! I can't believe your grandmother didn't seem happy with it at first. But I think that it's great that you just let her know how you were feeling. I completely understand why you were feeling that way. If I'm the planner, I tend to take every criticism personally.

So glad you liked Teppan Edo! We really enjoyed it during our last trip, so much that we booked it again for this upcoming trip. AND-that Napoleon! I have you to thank for falling in love with that little delicious treat!

Can't wait to hear how the official day one goes!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #86
BMC423
DIS Veteran

Oh how I love the beach club!!! I've only been there once last year for breakfast. Thank you so much for posting all those great room pics. I really want to stay here but I think I will wait till my son is a bit older.

I'm sorry about all the complaining, and completely understand why you were taking it personally. I can't imagine anyone finding anything wrong with the BC upgrade or no upgrade . Can't blame your grandma for trying though!

Teppan Edo sounds great I have never been but it's something to try one day. Can't wait to hear about MK day.
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #87
UGAFan0829
DIS Veteran

I'm so envious that you were able to sleep for over half the trip...that would be awesome! Since it's just the DH and I, I'm always feel like I need to stay awake to make sure he stays awake! lol Usually I can only sleep for a few minutes at a time!! Y'all really did make good time!! Woohoo for that!

Despite the complaining and bad attitudes for a bit, it sounds like your trip got off to a great start! I abosolutely loved seeing the pics of the Beach Club!! I'm sorry that you had to hear the complaints, and I can totally understand you taking it personally. I would have felt the very same way, but I'm glad that you were able to bring it to your Grandmother's attention and that she was apologetic.

What an amazing evening in Epcot. I'm so glad that you loved Teppan Edo as we have an ADR there for our upcoming trip...now I'm even more excited about eating there!!

I can't wait to read more!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #88
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

Hi there! I love your real trip report. It is always hard when we love something so much and want others to love it just as much. We took my parents and although they enjoyed themselves and the time with the kids, they do not have the love I have for Disney. Oh well...

I cannot wait to hear more!!

Love your trip reports!!

Jill
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 16 DS 13 DD 11 Sebastian 5
Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #89
ditsypixie
DIS Veteran

Hi! So glad I found your newest TR!

I don't think you were being a "Debbie Downer" at all. I can see how much time and effort went into planning a nice trip for everyone. It would be hard to listen to complaints. We went with a family a few years ago and we decided the same thing...we have a much better time when its just our family. It is so nice that you have a grandmother that listens to you and cares about your feelings

I am so glad to hear about Teppan Edo! It is definitely going on our possible ADR list when we go in Oct. I have always wanted to try it and hearing your review has made me want to go even more!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #90
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThomsLuvDisney View Post
I'm so glad the day turned around for you! I know exactly what you were feeling, we always go to WDW with families and friends and I always feel like it is our families job to make sure that everyone is having a great time.

Something else I see that you are experiencing is that it always seems to take longer to get anywhere - you are only as fast, as the slowest member of the group!!!!

It is definitely a different experience when you feel responsible for someone else's feelings. I always feel responsible for Miguel having a good time, but that is so simple by now!

That is so true about only being as fast as the slowest member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
I would have been upset with the complaining too...especially since the room pictures you posted were beautiful! What's to complain about? I feel like when you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a really nice vacation in a beautiful resort...what's to complain about? Maybe they were just on edge for some reason and things were coming out the wrong way though. Either way, I am glad that the night improved as you made your way to Epcot and that it ended with a great Illuminations viewing with everyone expressing how impressed they were!
I know! I couldn't find a single thing about our rooms at the BC that deserved a complaint. There were absolutely beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutheranChick82 View Post
I'm glad that your arrival day got better. I'm sure once everyone is in the Disney parks everyone's moods and attitudes change. I can't wait to read about the rest of your trip.
That is true - moods definitely lift as soon as you get in the parks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerchic33 View Post
I am so sorry your arrival day was one with lots of complaints!
We went to Disney one year with our family (for thanksgiving) and it was honestly a really rough trip! So i totally understand where you are coming from!
However, the BC is amazing and your rooms looked beautiful! xxoo
The BC is amazing! Such a lovely resort. Ugh, sorry to hear about your Thanksgiving trip, but I will admit - it's kind of comforting to know we weren't the only ones that had a hard time on a group trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T 2009 View Post
I am just like you with leaving on time!!!! It drives me nuts when we leave late or too close to the time to leave!!! LOL

Your room at BC looks gorgeous! Makes me want to stay there that much sooner!!

Traveling with family is hard. We've traveled to Disney with just my mom ( which was good and bad ) and with my husbands dad and siblings ( we found ourselves repeating "never again" during and after that trip! ) and we decided that just going as us or our own family ( mike me and rylan ) is the best way to go!!! We do want to eventually go back with both my mom and dad since my dad couldn't go when my mom had come with us, but no more big family trips! LOL

I am glad that the "mood" turned itself around for you and the night ended very well I dislike when I plan something and do not get positive feedback from it. It does make one feel rejected in a way or that they didn't plan well enough - though we all know that you plan awesomely!!!! :D
Haha - I came very close to saying never again, too! I'm not quite sure I made it to that point, since I figure at some point we'll go back with my family (when we have kids), but we definitely agreed that this wasn't something that would become a tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Wow, so sorry your arrival day started off on a bad foot but I'm so glad to hear everyone enjoyed dinner & Illuminations! Bring on MK!
Yes, thankfully the day was salvaged by the evening! It's hard to complain about Illuminations.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: