Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #226
TheThomsLuvDisney
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you writing even if the experience wasn't the greatest! I would guess almost everyone has had a not so magical experience, I know we have! Try to chalk it up as a learning experience, things you will and will not do & who you will and will not travel with again!!

DCL Feb 2014 Fantasy Eastern~SSR
DCL Feb 2013 Fantasy Western~BLT
Aulani April 2012
DCL Feb 2011 Dream B2B~AKL
DCL Jan 2010 Magical Eastern~CBR
DCL Jan 2008 Magical Western~SSR
DCL Jan 2006 Magical Western~POP
DCL Jan 2005 Magical Eastern~WL
DCL Jan 1999 7 Day Land/Sea~POFQ
Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #227
JKMastalski
Enjoys wine at Victoria Falls
Hubby made it into the Hot Seat!
Still can't figure out which "Trail " we were on

Just wanted to let you know that I have now read all your trip reports from start to finish You and your hubby's trips remind me alot of ours. We haven't been in 6 years, which is like a lifetime for us! LOL. But we are going for TWO WEEKS on Sept. 22nd for our 10th anniv and we are thrilled!
Just wondering, I love vera bradley and was thinking about the mini-hipster for our trip - have you ever used that one or is it too small?
Thanks! Jen
*2012 - 2 weeks in the world! 10th Anniversary at The Boardwalk Inn & Shades of Green*2006 Christmastime at the Wilderness Lodge * 2003 First Anniversary at The AKL *2000 Shades of Green* 1999 All Star Music*1998 Carribean Beach *1994 Carribean Beach*1992 Contemporary*1986 Contemporary
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #228
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Courtney...I am happy you learned this EARLY in your marriage! It took us quite a few trips as an extended family before we finally said NO MORE!!! It is much too expensive to not have a great time. Thanks for sharing anyway!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #229
MissManda
DIS Veteran

I'm just now starting to read your trip before...I guess I'm a little behind. My husband and I are used to going by ourselves but are planning a family trip for this June. As much as I'm looking forward too it, I wonder if we will come back with the same opinion that is better when its just the two of us.

We'll be going with 8 people- DH and I, our 14 year old nephew who lives with us, another nephew (10) and niece (8), their step mom, step sister (11)and their step mom's brother (step -uncle). Its an intersting group of people. We've never traveled with the step mom, sister or uncle. To top it off we are all staying together in a 3 bedroom condo. Its either gonna work out great or be a total disaster!

DH and I are the only ones who have even been to Disney. Since DH is not a planner, its all been falling on me to do the planning. I barely know the "step" relatives at all. To make things easier, I've decided with very few TS meals. We can do QS which will save time and gives us more flexabilty with our schedule. After seeing your daily itinerary, I took a peak at your PTR. I have to admit, I love love love the way you did your touring plans. I may have to use some of your ideas!

Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #230
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

I agree that adding even one additional person changes the dynamics of the group. We took my parents, and while I would do it again, especially for my kids who will have the memories forever, the level of stress is elevated. The vacation is just different. Thank you for sticking it out for us Disney crazy people. We are enjoying every word you write.
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #231
Twingle
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your TR - you and your darling hubby are lovely, and I can't wait to read more!

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #232
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your review of Shula's. Ron is tempted to eat there, but I feel like we can eat a good steak here, so why go to a non-Disney restaurant while over there?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #233
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebelle3 View Post
Courtney! I was so excited to see an update, but I feel so sad to hear your explanation for putting it off! It's so stressful planning for such a big group and I completely know how you feel. At least you can say you've done it, and now stick with what works for you guys!

I liked your review of Shula's. I feel like I don't hear much about it, and I feel like I've been contemplating eating there for a while, but it seems like it's something I don't need to rush to. Who would want to feel like they're not in Disney when they're in Disney?!

And now I'm craving ice cream. I just LOVE beaches & cream!
I'm glad I've had the family vacation experience just to have had the experience. I'm sure we will eventually go back with family (once we have kids) but I will go into it with a much different outlook.

I hadn't heard too much about Shula's either. It seems to me like it's more of a locals/people in Disney on Business place. I don't like feeling like I'm not on vacation when I'm on vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
Oh gosh, you don't have to apologize to us (well me anyway)! It was a big adjustment for you guys to go with everyone else....we could all tell that it wasn't your favorite trip from the beginning. And lots of people don't update frequently....thats why I have 19 subscriptions, so I always have a new update to read Don't worry about it! When you do update it is great!

Good to know about the Dolphin. I was considering them also for this next trip coming up and I am glad I didn't do it. I share your opinion that when I am in Disney, I want to feel that I am in Disney!

Once again Beaches n Cream looks fabulous! I am really hoping to find that little gem in July. I know it gets busy and we are going at the busiest time of the year, but we will try it at off times and hope to get lucky

Keep 'em coming, you are doing great!
Thank you! I really do feel bad that I've dragged this out for so long, but it's nice to know you all understand.

I hope you do get try try B&C! Even if you have to wait a bit, it is worth it! I would think as long as you don't go within an hour of Epcot's closing the wait might not be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerchic33 View Post
Hey!
Welcome back!
How are you feeling???
I am so sorry to hear about your thoughts regarding this trip!!!!
Hope you will keep it going!!!
xxoo <3
Thank you! I will definitely keep the report going. As much as I dread writing each update, I'm a little too OCD to just leave it hanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iixheartxyouxox View Post
I love long updates! I can totally relate to your feelings about traveling with other people. A few summers ago I went to WDW with 15 family members and it was definitely different then I was used to. I enjoyed it, but I prefer it to be me and DBF. I look forward to reading more!
I'm glad you're enjoying the long updates! They are a bit of a pain to write, but it's a good thing I'm not doing only a portion of a day per update. Otherwise, it would take me 5 years to finish this thing!

I can say, hands down, that traveling just Miguel and I is the way to go for us. I think the main thing is just traveling with your usual group, be that one other person or a whole group. It's all in what you get used too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbobear View Post
I feel like I had so much to comment on as I was reading, and now it's all slipping away! lol...
But a few things:

Miguel's face in the Dinosaur pic is hilarious! I noticed it right away before I read your description of the picture. And your grandma holding on for dear life! lol

I love your silvery top you wore to dinner! So pretty.

Long drawn out phone calls drive me nutsssss! I hate them! Especially when you are at a social gathering (which a vacation is!). I mean, duty calls and he has to deal w/ his business obviously, but it's definitely not fun for those that have to sit by quietly or wait around for you to finish!

In the pic of you & Miguel at B&C, the ice cream cones are giving you little bunny ears! aw! lol

The cream cheese wontons at Y&Y look SO delicious! I want to eat there just to get like 5 servings of dessert! The iced latte looks good too...Can you tell that I am in countdown to snacks mode right now? I am so focused on your food!

Your TR is making me a litttttle bit nervous right now! We have our take-the-whole-family vacation coming up in 2 weeks, and I feel like there might be tensions (or WILL be...at some point at least). I think overall we will have a good time regardless, but I feel like I will probably look back and have some moments that I won't want to remember. It's always hard when you have a group and put them into a situation where you are on the go, there are time constraints, and you are together for the entire day for days on end! I was just thinking, while I was reading your update - it's a good thing that you guys didn't all share a grand villa! At least with the separate rooms you had some time to decompress and be on your own each day. Then, after thinking that, I remembered that my family IS staying in a villa (but a 2BR) and my mind started racing! haha

And...another thing I noticed. No complaints from the peanut gallery this entire day! Or none worth mentioning anyway! So that is a plus at least!
I hope your family trip went well! I believe you have already gone at this point? This is the exact reason we decided on separate rooms. I thought briefly about getting a villa, but I figured we would want our alone time. So glad I realized that. I hope your villa stay was nice!

Haha, yes, this was a fairly complaint-less day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Hey Courtney! I totally get what you said about the disappointment... when something you looked forward to and planned so well (your PTR for this trip says it all!) doesn't go the way you want it, of course that's a bummer!
The bathroom breaks alone for a big group would drive me batty, never mind all the other stuff that goes with it!

Looked like a good day, overall and I have decided that I MUST try Beaches & Cream ASAP!
I think when you're such a planner (like myself) having things go unexpectedly are even harder to handle. I'm not a spontaneous person AT ALL, so I like things to be predictable. I sound so boring!

Definitely try B&C! It is sooooo good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Hi Courtney, I'm sorry you are having regrets about you last trip I kind of understand how you feel. The last trip I went on I was sick and also stressing out the whole time about starting my last semester of nursing school right when I got home. So different situation, but I get it. At least you have October right! Are you and Miguel going alone?? Great update though! I really like your AK pictures. Look forward to more -Amanda
Yes, we are definitely going alone! I can't wait! If anything, our family trip made me really, really appreciate Miguel and how well we travel together. I think sometimes the timing of trips is just off. But at least that makes us look forward to the next one!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #234
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T 2009 View Post
understand what you mean about not wanting to relive a vacation like that.. That's why I never did a TR for the trip we took last year- Mike and I found ourselves saying "never again" almost the whole time!

I am glad that you and Miguel got the chance to have some alone time and ride EE this morning.
We thought about eating at Shulas the last time we were in disney, but opted against it, and I am glad because it doesnt sound like it would have been worth it!
All your posts about BC and ice cream make me want to go there and want summer to come.. We have been having some rainy/cold weather and I am craving the warmth! LOL

Don't feel bad about not always posting every week... I understand where you're coming from and I assume others understand how you feel too! cheer up and work your way through it so you can move onto your PTR for the next trip
Thank you! It's so nice to know that people understand. It's sad not wanting to relive a Disney trip. I always so enjoy doing that! Thinking back on this trip is just really strange to me. I always want to be able to go back and relive our trips again. I honestly don't think you could pay me to relive this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Courtney,
No apology necessary. Just chalk this up to a "learning experience" and move on. Its ok, we all still love you.

Thanks for the Shula's review. You don't see many on the DIS, maybe there is a reason for it!

I love me some Beaches & Cream!
Thank you. This was definitely a learning experience. It has taught me that things definitely don't always go as planned, and that there are people out there (albeit crazy ones! ) that just aren't as impressed with Disney as I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrella View Post
I'm so happy to read another update, even though you are slIghtly less than thrilled about this TR.

With that being said I do look forward to you PTR when you do get the time to start it.
The only thing that thrills me about this TR is that it's almost over! After tonight's update, I've only got two more days. I can't wait to start my PTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Nice update Courtney - glad you got some time alone in AK for just you & Miguel.. suprised no one else wanted to ride Expedition Everest, it's one of our favourites!
I'm sorry reliving this trip is not so much fun for you I know how you feel, travelling to WDW with a large group is so different to going just as a two - I think I'm really going to notice it on this summer's trip with the family, but will know we have the October trip to do it 'our way'

Hope you & Miguel are well and I'm looking forward to hearing your plans for your next trip

Emma x
I couldn't convince anyone to do EE! My dad and Mike had done it in the past and it made both of them really sick. I'm glad it turned out that way though, because it was great to be able to have some time with Miguel alone.

I hope you family trips goes much smoother! Regardless, it will be so nice to know that you've got a trip so soon after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I'm sorry you have such mixed feelings about this past vacation. I know that its really tough to bring other people to a place you know so well and enjoy so much and have such a different experience. Its really tough traveling with a large group, especially when you are expected to play tour guide.

DH and I feel the same way when we travel with our extended families, its fun, but its just not the same fun, and we always compare it to trips when its just "us". What we do to try and take the pressure off is arrive a few days earlier than the bulk of our group, that way we get a few days to ourselves first. I think it really helps.

Anyway, I'm sorry you were disappointed with Shulas and the Dolphin. I've never eaten at Shulas, but always been curious, but I have stayed at the Dolphin and the Swan. I agree that they are not Disney-ified, but they are a steal when compared to the other Crescent Lake resorts. If you are ever looking for more of a budget trip, but still want prime location, you really can't go wrong with the Swan or Dolphin.
It is really hard to share my bad experiences on a Disney trip with a community of Disney lovers! But it's nice to know that alot of us have been in the same position (traveling with a large group) and our outcome is pretty common. Misery loves company, I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandClub23 View Post
I am so glad that you are continuing on with this trip report. I swear, I think we had the same trips! I did a PTR, lots of planning, and my trip was so disappointing I couldn't really get it together to do the TR. It wasn't a "bad" trip, just nothing like I thought it was going to be or that had any remarkable moments.

My fiance had never been to Disney and we were going for 2 weeks (I usually only go for a week). However, I didn't factor in the fact that we were using my parent's motorhome at Ft. Wilderness (which is a VERY nice motorhome and campground, but not the Disney trip I usually get at the deluxes/moderates) and that my parents and adult brother are not as easy going as they used to be.

All that to say, it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one with a disappointing Disney trip under their belt. The sad part is that I think my fiance would have LOVED Disney had it been just the two of us at another resort. Oh well, there's always future trips, but the financial sting for something you didn't love always hurts .
I'm sorry you had a similar experience! It is just no fun when things don't go as planned. Not that I'm crazy enough to believe that I can pre-plan ever single thing and reaction and experience that happens on our trips, but I think it is safe to plan on having a good time. When that doesn't happen it's really hard to stomach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I'm sorry you're not enjoying writing this TR, or reliving the trip for that matter. For what it's worth, I'm enjoying it, even if it wasn't your best trip! I know how you feel, my December trip was definitely my least favorite trip, and when I got home, I wasn't even going to do a TR for it. Then I decided to and I instantly regret starting it, but I didn't want to just abandon it, so I wrote it, but I didn't do a very good job, and I didn't really enjoy writing it. I would delete it from my signature all together, but the only thing I do like about it are some of the pictures. Maybe just get through this TR in the next couple of weeks (if you want to finish it) and then start a PTR for your next trip so you can put this one behind you!

Glad you guys got to enjoy some time alone, running off to EE! I think I'd go crazy if I had to go slow on the whole trip...and take other people into account! The bathroom breaks would be so annoying! I feel like Brandon goes to the bathroom SO much at Disney and even that makes me insane!

Mmmm, I have to try Yak and Yeti someday, hopefully in the Fall! Everything there looks really good, especially that dessert!

I always think about going to Shula's, but I'm too nervous to leave Disney, like you said! Even though the S&D are technically Disney hotels, I always feel like they are "off site". Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like to be immersed in Disney!

I can't wait to go to Beaches and Cream when we stay at the BC in a couple of weeks, I need to have one of those sundaes, they look amazing!!!
I'm so glad you're enjoying it! That's definitely what I'm writing it for, because it isn't for myself!

Strange thing is, I thought I was kind of a slow walker. Turns out I was way wrong! Either that or my family is just really, really slow. I think I must just get a big adrenalin rush that really speeds me up when I'm at Disney!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #235
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussells08 View Post
Yay! I'm so glad you're updating, but I'm really sorry to hear about your ill feelings toward this trip. I hate having any kind of negative feelings associated with Disney, so I really hate that this trip wasn't too pleasant!

On a lighter note, I love your updates! It sounds like you all had a great day at AK, and it's nice that you and Miguel got to enjoy a little alone time!

My cousin and his fiancee love Shula's, but I just don't understand. I've never been there, but your review is pretty much what I expected. It seems like you could have that dinner anywhere!

YUM I can't wait to try the Kitchen Sink at B&C! I love ice cream!
Shula's was definitely too generic for my taste. Any where else and I probably would have really enjoyed it. I just kept thinking - I need some Mickey Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209Disney View Post
I am so happy you are going to continue with your report!! I am excited to hear how the rest of your trip went!
I couldn't leave you all hanging! As much as I'm not enjoying writing it, I'm sure one day I will be very glad I've got it all documented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Courtney, I feel so bad the way you've been feeling about the trip. I'm so sorry that it didn't go the way you had planned.
Thank you! That really means a lot. It's hard when things don't go the way we planned. I guess that is life, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytink75 View Post
I'm sorry to hear you had a not so pleasant time in DW.. reading your story reminds me of my family trip with my sister and her daughter just this past August.. Let's just say I WILL NEVER do that kind of trip again with her.. After this trip I will never go on another trip with family members again. They just seem to ruin DW for us.. Keep your chin up.. I can't wait to finish reading the rest of your TR and I can't wait to start reading your PTR for your upcoming trip.
I think that Disney is just too much of an emotional place to bring "outsiders" in, if that makes any sense! I feel like you really need to go with someone who "gets" how you feel. I think my family got that when I was younger, but they just don't get it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrafter View Post
Court-

I definitely know what you mean. It's just really important to focus on the great memories that you did make and know that one day, you'll cherish the family time that you got to spend together in the happiest place on earth!

Our trip earlier this month to Orlando was just so not magical. Don't get me wrong, there were some fabulous times but I can't help but to get this sinking feeling inside me when I think about our last night, sobbing silently on my DH's shoulder as we rode the monorail to the TTC b/c of the way we were treated by some guests at the MK. Or how we missed the opening ceremony at MK b/c they wouldn't let non-resort guests access the ferry or monorail to get to the MK until less than 15 minutes before park opening. (That also happened on our last day.) I thought about doing a TR but I just don't think that I want to reflect even more on those times than I already do. Our first day at Epcot was amazing, our trip to Cocoa Beach was really fun (we even got to see the Disney Fantasy from a distance!), we had huge pineapple dole whips at Captain Cooks, we got to spend time with Greg's aunt, uncle and cousin, we had a great spot for Illuminations and got to have desserts from the bakery in France twice during our trip. See, even just listing all of the great moments is making me feel SO much better! Maybe that would be a good way to wrap up this TR?
I'm so sorry that your recent trip didn't go so well either. I guess we all have to have one of those, though. I do think making a list of the good things is a great idea! I feel like I've focused so much on the negatives of this trip that it probably would do me good to focus on the good things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Courtney-I was so glad to see an update, but you don't owe me an apology for how you feel about the trip. We traveled with some friends and their family several years ago, and I agree, it's hard not to take any complaints personally when you're the one who planned the trip.

Hope you know, though, that I am still enjoying reading your TR. Can't believe you backed out on the Kitchen Sink that night?!?! Hope you got one eventually!

You are definitely due a "do-over" trip. So, even though I love reading your TRs, finish this one up, so you can start some happy planning in a new PTR!
I definitely took things a little too personally. I am just very sensitive! And especially when you spend so much time planning, it's just hard not to get your feelings hurt.

I am so ready to get on to happy talk with the PTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThomsLuvDisney View Post
I'm so glad you writing even if the experience wasn't the greatest! I would guess almost everyone has had a not so magical experience, I know we have! Try to chalk it up as a learning experience, things you will and will not do & who you will and will not travel with again!!
I think that is true - we're all due a less than magical trip at some point. I sure hope it's only one and I can say I've got that out of the way now!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #236
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMastalski View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I have now read all your trip reports from start to finish You and your hubby's trips remind me alot of ours. We haven't been in 6 years, which is like a lifetime for us! LOL. But we are going for TWO WEEKS on Sept. 22nd for our 10th anniv and we are thrilled!
Just wondering, I love vera bradley and was thinking about the mini-hipster for our trip - have you ever used that one or is it too small?
Thanks! Jen
Thank you for reading! That really means a lot to me! I hope you have an amazing time on your upcoming trip! Even though our honeymoon wasn't quite two weeks, it was longer than our normal trips and I am aching for another one of that length.

I have never used the mini-hipster, but I have looked at them in the store. I think it would depend on what you plan on carrying in the parks with you. It would be too small for me, because I like to carry my camera (which is kind of bulky), a poncho, a bottled drink and my sunglasses in the main compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Courtney...I am happy you learned this EARLY in your marriage! It took us quite a few trips as an extended family before we finally said NO MORE!!! It is much too expensive to not have a great time. Thanks for sharing anyway!
That is such a good way to look at it, Judy! This was definitely a lesson learned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissManda View Post
I'm just now starting to read your trip before...I guess I'm a little behind. My husband and I are used to going by ourselves but are planning a family trip for this June. As much as I'm looking forward too it, I wonder if we will come back with the same opinion that is better when its just the two of us.

We'll be going with 8 people- DH and I, our 14 year old nephew who lives with us, another nephew (10) and niece (8), their step mom, step sister (11)and their step mom's brother (step -uncle). Its an intersting group of people. We've never traveled with the step mom, sister or uncle. To top it off we are all staying together in a 3 bedroom condo. Its either gonna work out great or be a total disaster!

DH and I are the only ones who have even been to Disney. Since DH is not a planner, its all been falling on me to do the planning. I barely know the "step" relatives at all. To make things easier, I've decided with very few TS meals. We can do QS which will save time and gives us more flexabilty with our schedule. After seeing your daily itinerary, I took a peak at your PTR. I have to admit, I love love love the way you did your touring plans. I may have to use some of your ideas!

Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!
I hope your upcoming trip turns out well! I think the decision to not do many TS meals is a really good one. CS means that you could always split up and do separate meals if you wanted to. How I wished we could have done that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2minnie1 View Post
I agree that adding even one additional person changes the dynamics of the group. We took my parents, and while I would do it again, especially for my kids who will have the memories forever, the level of stress is elevated. The vacation is just different. Thank you for sticking it out for us Disney crazy people. We are enjoying every word you write.
Aww, thank you! I'm glad this is enjoyable for you all! That makes writing it much easier. I agree, I have a feeling that we will go back as a family with our kids because I want them to have a similar experience as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twingle View Post
Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your TR - you and your darling hubby are lovely, and I can't wait to read more!
Thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying the TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Thanks for your review of Shula's. Ron is tempted to eat there, but I feel like we can eat a good steak here, so why go to a non-Disney restaurant while over there?
My thoughts exactly! Unless he really wants to go for the themeing, I say go to another, more Disney steak place.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #237
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

DAY 4 Ė PT. 1

On Wednesday, we finally had the opportunity to do something that I was really looking forward to Ė sleeping late! Since our day was dedicated to World Showcase, there was no reason for another early morning, even though it ended up being earlier than I had originally planned. My first plan called for us to head over to WS for our ADR at 12:30, but we ended up deciding to go over right when it opened at 11:00 in order to have a longer break in the afternoon. We really love our afternoon breaks!

I canít remember exactly what time we woke up, but I believe it was around 10:00. I got up and showered and since it was only a couple of hours until our ADR at Chefs de France, I decided to skip breakfast. This ended up being a mistake, which I will of course explain later!

After Miguel and I were both ready, we headed down to the lobby to meet up with the others and then we were off towards the International Gateway!` It was a lovely morning and we really enjoyed the leisurely walk over to the Epcot entrance.

And look who we just so happened to see the second we got into Epcot Ė

This made me so happy! You know how much I love Pooh. Since it was still early (WS had just opened) no one else was around, so Pooh and Tigger took more time with us than they normally would. It was a great character meet!

We had decided to try our the Kim Possible game so after our time with Pooh and Tigger we went to the KP FP station and grabbed a few passes for later. We figured we would come back after lunch.

First up in our WS tour was the UK!

We made a brief stop in one of the stores and I bought some tea Ė which I completely forgot about until now!

My dad also bought a teapot for my grandmother (she collects them) while she helped me pick out my tea.

After our shopping, we did a little more exploring of the pavilion.

Continued in next post
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #238
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

DAY 4 – PT. 2

Once we had saw all we needed to see in the UK we decided to make our way over to France. We still had about 30 minutes before our Chefs ADR, but we figured we could explore there before lunch instead of after.

It was here that I made mistake number 2, which coupled with mistake number 1 ended up in a MASSIVE headache that really put a damper on the day. This mistake requires a bit of back-story, so here goes.

I have really bad eczema, which turns to horrible in the winter. I’m not sure if it’s the cold, the dry air or the heat in the house, but my skin gets so dry and flaky that it’s just miserable. I finally broke down and went to the MAC counter at Nordstrom’s one day (trying to find a foundation that would better work with the flakiness) and the lady helping me suggested this great line of products by Gurelain called Super Aqua. I kid you not, this stuff helped my skin instantly. She was nice enough to give me a samples of the full line, which lasted me about a month. However, when I ran out and I went online to find out how much it would cost to actually buy the products, I discovered that this miracle line runs $600!!! I am all for buying quality products if they work, but that is just a little too excessive!

When we noticed the Guerlain store in the France pavilion, my grandmother was determined to get some more samples for me. So, into the store we went.

I should also mention that I have a very sensitive head. If I wait too long to eat, I get a headache. If I eat sweets on an empty stomach, I get a headache. If I walk up a flight of stairs to quickly – you guessed it, headache. And, if I am around strong smelling things, I get a headache. Let me tell you, I have never been in a stronger smelling store than that Guerlain store! The fragrance literally knocked me out. I walked straight through the store, but it was too late – the headache was coming!

At this point, I noticed that I was also VERY hungry, which was only making the headache worse. We still had about 20 minutes before lunch, so I decided to distract myself with some shopping!

Are these not the cutest things?! French fry holders! I am so sad I didn’t get these. They are on my shopping list for October!

Finally, my grandmother emerged from the very smelly Guerlain store – with my samples! At least part of this headache was worth it!

To finish up our last bit of time waiting, we wandered over to make a new friend – Marie! I’ve never stopped to meet Marie, and I’m so sad I hadn’t. She is so cute and sweet! We really enjoyed spending time with her.

Finally, it was time to eat! I hoped that my headache was going to ease up once I ate some food. We all got checked into Chefs and were taken to a great round table next to one of the large windows. We had a great view! We were all pretty much starving at this point, so we ordered quickly, and were very excited when our first courses arrived. Most of us went with the French onion soup. It was very tasty! I liked that it wasn’t super onion-y. In fact, there were maybe only 3 onions in my soup. According to my father, that is the authentic way??? Not sure how he knows, but he does watch at lot of Food Network!

For my entrťe I chose the fish sandwich. I believe it was halibut? It was ok, a little bland but not bad.

My dad chose the croque madame. Or was it the monsuier? It’s the one without the egg!

Mike got a crepe.

And my grandparents and Miguel went with the roast chicken.

Everyone enjoyed their dishes. I don’t think anyone was really blown away, but everything was decent and since we were so hungry, we were just happy to have some food!

Before long, we got a visit from a special guest – Remy! He’s so cute!

Since my dad did the three-course prix fixe meal, we got to choose a dessert to share. We went with the profiteroles, which were pretty tasteless, unfortunately.

I think I have realized something about Chefs de France. While I think the food is ok, I haven’t been super impressed with either of the two meals that I’ve had there. Still though, I really like the restaurant. I think it’s the atmosphere? I guess I can kind of look over the mediocre food for the pretty, picturesque windows and the lovely French waiters. Do any of you have a Disney restaurant that you feel this way about???

After lunch, it was time for our Kim Possible mission! We went back to the cart where we got our FP to pick up our kimmunicators and to learn about the game. We were excited to find out what country we would be assigned to, and we hoped it would be anything other than the UK, since we had already fully explored it.

Well, guess where we were headed to for our mission…

That’s right – back to the UK!

I was really hoping to enjoy the Kim Possible mission since it gets such rave reviews here by kids and adults alike, but…I didn’t like it. In fact, I couldn’t wait for it to be over! Perhaps it would have been better if it was in a country other than the one we had just explored. And maybe I would have enjoyed it more it I didn’t have a pounding headache (the food didn’t help at all!). But instead, I kept wondering why people like it so much! LOL. Sadly, we all had pretty much the same thoughts. So, as soon as our mission was over, we returned our kimmunicator and decided to explore the rest of the WS on our own terms.

Moving on, we made our way to Morocco.

What a lovely place! Unfortunately, it was here that my headache really started to get to me, and I just had to sit down. I was downright miserable at this point. Thankfully, someone had the bright idea to get me a coffee in hopes that the caffeine would help since no one had any pain medicine. We found a shaded table and my grandfather went to get me an iced latte and a hot tea for my grandmother.

Continued in next post
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #239
merbobear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post

I hope your family trip went well! I believe you have already gone at this point? This is the exact reason we decided on separate rooms. I thought briefly about getting a villa, but I figured we would want our alone time. So glad I realized that. I hope your villa stay was nice!

Haha, yes, this was a fairly complaint-less day.
We had a lot of fun, but there was intermittent drama as well, which will always happen when you 'mix' groups. A lot of my plans did not play out as intended, as we had to bend and break away from the plan to accommodate everyone else' preferences and speed. The villa was really nice and overall it was a good experience, aside from an awkward moment when MIL insisted on turning on THE HEAT, causing everyone to swelter and causing me to sneakily crank the AC back on as soon as she went to bed.
In the end, I am left feeling a lot like your TR title! It IS better when it's just the 3 of us! But at the same time, I am really happy that my mom got to experience watching Adison at WDW and got to experience the thrills and magic herself as well! And I guess the same goes for MIL and our friend

Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #240
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

DAY 4 Ė PT. 3

We sat for about 20 minutes enjoying the peacefulness and our beverages, and miraculously, the caffeine did wonders for my head! It didnít take the headache away completely, but it did make it bearable.

Finally, I felt ready to move on! I was excited to take my family to Japan so that we could do the pick a pearl! I was worried that we would have to skip it because of my head (loud, banging drums and a headache donít mix!) but since I was feeling better I didnít dare want to miss this! I had so enjoyed it on our honeymoon and I really felt like my family would love it.

We walked over to Japan and browsed through the store for a bit before going over to the pick a pearl counter.

Since I was still trying to keep my headache from coming back fully, I figured just one pearl was enough. Since I had already done it, I let my grandmother do the picking.

Everyone really enjoyed this! I forgot to take a picture of the pearl, so I canít remember how large it was, but it was really pretty! Now that I have two (my grandmother said I could have that one) I would really like to get some earrings made.

Moving on, we stopped to watch the drummers as we passed by the American pavilion. Would you believe Iíve never been in there?! Itís on the list for next time!

As we kept moving, we came to one of the little ďside streetsĒ and guess what we saw? A whole bunch of characters that had just come out! We of course decided to stop.

First up was Eeyore, or as Miguel calls him Ė the burro triste (the sad donkey).

We saw Pluto also.

And Chip and Dale!

There were a couple of other characters, but we actually didnít know who they were, so we moved on.

Next stop Ė Italy! I really enjoy seeing the pavilions of the countries Iíve actually traveled to. Itís neat to make comparisons between Disney and the real thing!

Since it had been a while since lunch, we just had to stop for some Gelato!

We walked over by the lagoon and enjoyed it. It was tasty, but not as good as the gelato in *the real * Italy! I canít even remember what flavor I had. Lemon and vanilla maybe?

Up next was some more food, and something I had been dying to tryÖ

The caramel shop! Strangely enough, I donít really like caramel. But everything Iíve read and seen made me want to at least try something so bad! Every time I had been in, it was always super crowded, and then of course when I tried to go earlier in the week it had been closed. This time though, I was determined to get something. And boy was I glad I did! I ended up discovering my new favorite treat in all of Disney Ė yes, even more than the Napoleon. Caramel corn!

Words canít describe how good this stuff was. Itís not like normal caramel corn. Itís soft and buttery and just absolutely delicious. I got a small bag and was kicking myself for the rest of the week that I didnít get a large. Still though, the small lasted me a couple of days. I actually finished it up on our final night of the trip. I canít wait to get some more on our October trip! Iíve been craving it ever since!

At this point, we decided we had pretty much seen everything we had wanted to see in the WS, and it was getting kind of late. My dad, always working, had a meeting with a new client in the BC Lobby at 5:00 (with someone who worked at Disney, actually!) so we had to make sure we were back in time for that. Before we left though, my dad and Mike both wanted to take another spin on Test Track, so we made our way over to Future World for a quick ride.

On the way, we got to experience something new! The drawbridge at the Outpost area was up and a crowd was forming at the gates. We soon realized it was because they were bringing the Illuminations globe through! They actually played the Illuminations music (my favorite!) and had some recorded dialogue about the globe and the show. It was really neat to watch and listen and to see the globe up close!

Once we did our final ride on Test Track, we quickly made our way back to the BC, with just minutes to spare for my dadís meeting.

He stayed in the lobby and the rest of us went to our rooms to rest up for dinner. I was very excited to be heading back to the Poly and eating at our favorite place: ĎOhana!

Continued in next post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: