Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #31
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

found a cheap flight today so I'm going solo again Aug 18-23 YAY!!!! I lost out on my cross border shopping trip cause of staff holidays and inventory so this is the next best thing. I love that I bought an annual pass!!!

Last edited by glenpreece; 07-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.
glenpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #32
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpreece View Post
found a cheap flight today so I'm going solo again Aug 18-23 YAY!!!! I lost out on my cross order shopping trip cause of staff holidays and inventory so this is the next best thing. I love that I bought an annual pass!!!
Congratulations! Sounds great

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
DisneyDork1969
ChicagoDisneyDork

1st Solo Trip...Kinda...

I'm going to WDW in late November (after Thanksgiving) for 5 days (so far)...I have a room booked at POP with free QS Dining...a friend will be at WDW at the same time I'm going so I'm sure I'll be doing some park touring with her...plus a family I know is also traveling when I am, so I will finally get to meet them in person (we're good Facebook freinds, but never met yet)...so technically I am going solo...I can't wait to just 'do' WDW on my own, eat when I wanna eat, ride the attractions I want to ride, do whatever I want to when I want to...YEAH!!!
DisneyDork1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #34
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

It's a blast going solo and just meeting up with people here and there. I'm going next month and have made plans to see my Aunt for dinner at DTD one evening. I am looking forward to doing a whole character hunt!!! Gonna see how many I can meet in one day
Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
angelbear425
Mouseketeer

I went to WDW alone in 2009 for my birthday for a few days. I had a ball! It's not something I regularly do, but birthdays only come once so I spent it having fun at Disney. I defintely don't regret it. I stayed at All Star Music and it was fine for me. I didn't spend much time in the room, but it was comfortable for the time I was there. Like others have said, some rides you don't mind going on alone, but others you would rather have someone with you. I would do it again. Actually.. I keep debating on a Disney Cruise alone because nobody wants to go with me.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #36
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbear425 View Post
I went to WDW alone in 2009 for my birthday for a few days. I had a ball! It's not something I regularly do, but birthdays only come once so I spent it having fun at Disney. I defintely don't regret it. I stayed at All Star Music and it was fine for me. I didn't spend much time in the room, but it was comfortable for the time I was there. Like others have said, some rides you don't mind going on alone, but others you would rather have someone with you. I would do it again. Actually.. I keep debating on a Disney Cruise alone because nobody wants to go with me.
This year's Wine and Dine half marathon weekend will coincide with my birthday and I will be solo. Looking to have a blast!

Its their loss not going on DCL. I've been solo there too. Only downfall is the single supplement you need to pay.
jeanigor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #37
SDFgirl
Weekend spelunker
Cutting up foods makes me happy
Shared a flight with Carol Brady
Warning! If I don't know you I might bum a ride to get a haircut!

Coming from someone with 3 small kids, a solo trip sounds like pure heaven. You can do whatever you want, on your schedule. Sounds wonderful!!

By the way if you are a fan of post-apocalyptic novels (like The Stand) I would also recommend Swan Song and The Passage.

Have a great trip!!

May 2005 POR - First trip as a couple
September 2008 POR - Found out we were expecting our middle DD on the last day
September 2009 BCV - Grand Gathering!
April 2010 FW - Tent Camping!
Next trip, February 2013 - Surprise for our 3 kids!
SDFgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #38
angelbear425
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
This year's Wine and Dine half marathon weekend will coincide with my birthday and I will be solo. Looking to have a blast!

Its their loss not going on DCL. I've been solo there too. Only downfall is the single supplement you need to pay.
Ugh.. I saw that fee. I understand why they do it, but I don't like it anyway.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #39
JiminyGuyMaine
Former Orlando-ite, back in the Great White North

Go, go, go!

I've just booked my solo trip for my birthday in November! I've been a couple of times solo in the past, and always had a great time. As previous posters have said, the freedom is soooooo refreshing! I'm not doing as many sit down meals as I might with a travelling partner, but that's mostly to save some dough. I'm staying that POP, and am so psyched!

JiminyGuyMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #40
adpibri
Mouseketeer

I've always been to Disney with friends or with large groups of people, but it looks like I might be going solo for the Princess 1/2 in Feb. I'm pretty excited, it'll be a new experience in the best place ever!
adpibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #41
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpibri View Post
I've always been to Disney with friends or with large groups of people, but it looks like I might be going solo for the Princess 1/2 in Feb. I'm pretty excited, it'll be a new experience in the best place ever!
If it's just a trip for a race and the rest of your party isn't doing the race, I find it far more fair and enjoyable to go solo.
jeanigor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #42
DisneyDork1969
ChicagoDisneyDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyGuyMaine View Post
I've just booked my solo trip for my birthday in November! I've been a couple of times solo in the past, and always had a great time. As previous posters have said, the freedom is soooooo refreshing! I'm not doing as many sit down meals as I might with a travelling partner, but that's mostly to save some dough. I'm staying at POP, and am so psyched!
What are your dates? I'm now goin 11/25 to 12/01 (7 days)...I'm also staying at POP...I will attend MVMCP on 11/27...I will attend CLP on 11/29 (my B-Day!)...I too am limiting my sit-down meals in order to cut down on costs...so far I'm having dinner at San Angel Inn on 11/26 and Biergartan 2pm lunch on 11/29 for CLP w/ Neil Patrick Harris (I LOVE HIM!!!)...the rest will be QSD...did you get free QSD with your trip???...if our dates line up lets plan a meet-up or tour one of the parks together...!!!
DisneyDork1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #43
canter2u
Earning My Ears

Going solo is safe and relaxing

After my mom passed away a few years ago, I told my husband I needed to get away alone on a vacation. During February break I flew down and stayed at the animal kingdom Jambo, savannah view. There is a great view of the animals from your balcony, you have use of both the Jambo and Kindani pools, Boma is my FAVORITE restaurant, and Sanaa is great too! There are lots of nooks and crannies to sit and read, the bar at Jambo is great too, has TVs.
So as a solo traveler, you may not want to spend the $$$on the room, and just park hop and shop all the time. OR part of your getaway may be relaxing by a great pool, sitting on your balcony with a great view in the morning and evening. I highly recommend either Animal kingdom lodge or the Wilderness lodge. The Polynesian is wonderful too and can be relaxing, you can walk to the luau, there is a beach, restaurant is great, there are walking options, and you can't beat the monorail for several park access.
My favorite restaurants...and I have eaten at all of these alone are: Boma, Kouzzina on the boardwalk, either of the two restaurants in Italy, Rose and Crown in England, Morrocco, portobello, liberty tree tavern, yak and yeti, flame tree barbecue, MAMA MELROSE'S,And the exciting restaurant at the wilderness lodge.
Hope this helps any solo travelers! Bring your smart phone, iPad, and camera!
2011 All-Star Music w/ my marching band
2011 Animal Kingdom Jambo/Disney DREAM! 2012 AULANI!
canter2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #44
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Hi. I will be attending the Gale Gand demo on 10/27 at the F&W festival. It is at 5pm. Looking to meet up,with fellow dissers, if possible. Thanks

sunnygal041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #45
Disney/Universal Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasE View Post
The lesson I learned from 9-11 was that I should not live my life as if it were on hold. Do everything that will enrich your life. As far as accommodations are concerned, my recommendation would depend upon how you spend your time. Are you a park commando and are always on the go and spend time at the resort basically just to sleep? Then I say go with Pop Century as someone else has recommended. Are you more of a easy-going, take the time to smell the roses visitor? Then, staying at a resort with more amenities would make more sense. Since you want to not spend as much money as staying with your original plan, maybe go with a moderate like Port Orleans French Quarter. It's small and manageable. Who doesn't enjoy a beignet? Someone recommended renting points for a DVC property. That is an excellent suggestion. If renting points for Beach Club Villas is within your budget, I say go for it. Especially, since that option is nearest to what your original plan was from the get go.

I dine alone all of the time. It doesn't faze me at all. I'm an avid reader, so I just enjoy my meal and read my book. I have found that as a solo diner at Walt Disney World, I get really special treatment from cast members. They seem to go out of their way to make sure I have an enjoyable experience. Although, frequently they believe that I'm another cast member for some unknown reason. Maybe because I look like I know what I'm doing. Eat wherever you want to eat. Don't let the fact that you are a solo diner deter you from having a wonderful respite from the parks. Do you really care about what people think of you dining alone? Are these strangers' opinions really all that important? Are you ever going to see them again?

The wonderful thing about a solo trip is you get to do whatever you want when you want. No negotiations. It is a totally indulgent experience. Glory in the fact that you are having the time of your life.

I wish I had the money to do exactly that right now. I am currently saving up for a solo trip to Italy. Maybe by the time I'm all saved up I'll have a boyfriend who wants to join me, or maybe I will be off on a solo adventure. Either way I'm not letting anything stop me from achieving my dreams.

You will have a blast in Walt Disney World in the spring!
Just wondering what you do to make people think you know what you are doing?
Disney/Universal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: