Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
jmickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by violeo View Post
Thank you everyone for all your advice. I called Disney this morning and finalized my plans. I will be doing the sit down dinners and bring along a book by the name of "The Stand" by Stephen King (by book I actually mean book not my iPad). As for the resort i choose.......... The Yacht Club... lol. It's just the perfect location for me. I love EPCOT and I just love the resort. Thank You Everyone for your info and help.
I know this a long shot but you will be at Disney World around the time I was planning on being as well. If you would be interested we could maybe hang out together. I am actually relocating there in March or Early April but as a belated birthday present to me I am planning my very first trip to Disney World. I big Disney fan I been to Disneyland and California Adventure so many times. I love to travel and the fact that I have my own travel agency is a huge perk. One problem like you is going to dinners alone. I had done a vacation once alone and it was fun but not so fun. I went to a resturant and placed my order went the restroom my table was cleared and another time the waiter totally ignored me but the plus side is I didn't have anyone do things that they didn't want to do and was able to take my time. Going to Disney for me I feel is much better shared with someone then alone fun to talk about want you like or didn't like being single for 3 yrs it is kinda old doing things alone.

Also I very much for Epcot out of all the parks that is where I want to start my first adventure to the Walt Disney World Area.

I am glad to find this board on here because maybe I can find someone fun and make a new friend or something more.

Well drop a line if you like.

JH

Last edited by jmickey; 02-24-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Forgot somet hings
jmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
jnickj6
Brand New Ears--Be Patient

I think you made the right choice for a solo trip. My last trip, last January was solo and I had a great time. I have an 8 day trip planned in Mid-May and am looking forward to it. While it is fun to travel with others, solo trips are nice, because the only argument one has about what to do next is when the inner-child exerts himself.

Want to sleep late? Fine. Want to ride Rockin' Roller coaster 12x in a row? Fine! Single-riders line rocks!!!! Want a picture with Tigger? Yep. No argument there. See? It IS fun to go alone.

Have fun! You made the right decision!

Cheers,
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #18
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Just got back from a quick spur of the moment trip for Leap Day. I went solo and it was grand. Met up with friends intermittently throughout the night at MK, but had a fun and enjoyable trip (even if it was only 49 hours).
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
DisneyWorldTraveller
Earning My Ears

I hope u have an amazing time. I'm really excited after reading the positives on WDW alone as I'm booked for 14 nights sep-oct time, so far I've paid flights not too cheap from Melbourne Australia and my registration for Tower of Terror 10mile run. I'm so looking forward to it but nervous... Hopefully I'll meet some people on here who'll be there at same time so at least I can arrange a few meets.

Im not sure if 2 weeks will bankrupt me if I book accomodation on site. I usually stay on site when I visit Disney parks but usually Hong Kong and Paris were only for 4 nights. In 2009 I did a week off site at Anaheim then went to Vegas then had another 3 nights in The Disneyland Hotel before we flew home. I think at WDW a multi centre might be silly. Would it save me if I do one week off site one week on??? Any ideas?
DisneyWorldTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #20
DisneyWorldTraveller
Earning My Ears

Woops Sorry I missed which section this thread is held in xxx
DisneyWorldTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
sirJeffrey90
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post

If you want to keep the deluxe accommodations, then you may want to look into renting DVC points. I've found that to be far more economical than the per night rate Disney charges for a room.
I did this when I flew solo and it was PERFECT! It is cheaper to rent a studio than to pay rack for a value. Get on this if you think you'd be interested. Anyway, I can agree it was a tad awkward dining alone, but I didn't eat anywhere sit-down, so it wasn't that bad. As everyone else has stated, it can be very relaxing going alone. No one to wait for or to cater to; you'll have plenty of fun!
sirJeffrey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

I've never done a solo trip, but really want to. In July I'm going to hitch a ride with my parents, sister, her kids, her oldest boy's girlfriend, my other niece and her fiance to Disneyland. Exactly the opposite of a solo trip, but I plan to ditch them all! The two older couples will likely go off on their own, my parents and sister will stick with her 10 year old, and since I will be child free I will run away to do what I want when I want. They will likely want to meet up for a couple of meals, but I am so looking forward to the Blue Bayou all alone. Everyone in my family is super picky (except me), and the last time we went it was an ordeal finding something for everyone on the menu (but we got it done with a couple of special requests). I want to go in, sit at waterside and order something awesome while I watch the ride boats go by, then go ride POTC a bunch of times without anyone complaining that they want to go somewhere else.

Have a great time!

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

So glad you decided to go, I loved going solo a few years back and would do it again. You can sleep in, eat wherever/whenever you like, do as much or as little as you want. It was fabulous. I was actually given more attention at sit downs than when with people, and never felt uncomfortable. You can take everything in at your own pace. Love that you stayed at the Yacht Club, spending money on yourself is a good thing

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Oh! Have you thought about booking a couple of tours? I've decided I'm going to do the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour at DLR. It's not something that my kids would enjoy, but I think it will be awesome. There are lots of tours at WDW as well, the Key to the Kingdom tour takes you through the utilidoors, which is something I would love to see. I know that sometimes when I'm somewhere alone it helps to join a group doing something like that, if only to have a little bit of conversation with others aside from polite chit chat in lines.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #25
violeo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
Oh! Have you thought about booking a couple of tours? I've decided I'm going to do the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour at DLR. It's not something that my kids would enjoy, but I think it will be awesome. There are lots of tours at WDW as well, the Key to the Kingdom tour takes you through the utilidoors, which is something I would love to see. I know that sometimes when I'm somewhere alone it helps to join a group doing something like that, if only to have a little bit of conversation with others aside from polite chit chat in lines.
I'm really excited to keep hearing everyone's opinion on travelling alone . I'm very much looking forward to my solo trip! As for the tours I currently have 2 booked. "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" and "Keys to the Kingdom"! Ive never done a tour considering the amount of times I've been there, and I'm looking forward to going on my first!
violeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
glenpreece
DIS Veteran

Just booked my next solo trip for Apr 28-May 3. I need a quick break since I can't make it to Oct w/o some sort of vacay. I love my solo trips cause I can do/eat whatever I want, which means Earl of Sandwich EVERYDAY!!!! Gonna get an Annual Pass since I'll be back in October and it's cheaper to do that instead of an 8 day with no expiration
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Hi,
I have done solo twice now. I love those trips. No one to ask what do you want to do or anything. I stayed at POP and POR.

April I go down on my Disneymoon and then October I do another solo trip. I booked myself into the princess room at POR. I am looking forward to relaxing.

I did sit down meals and just sat there and ate. No book as I did not want to take anything with me.

You will have a great trip and just enjoy.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
714guy4u
Anaheim guy 4 you

I've gone 3 times by myself I liked it better I got to do all the things I wanted to
When I went with friends I had to do all the boring stuff they wanted to do like spend hours in the stores

The first time I went a lone I stayed at the all stars movies with the dining plane for 6 nights it was amazing I had a blast
Make sure you get the dining plan it so worth it
WDW June 2011
WDW Jan 2012
WDW June 2012
WDW Oct 2012
WDW Dec 2012
Disneyland Paris Feb 2013
Toyko & Hong kong Disneyland Sept 25-Oct 10
714guy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #29
Easygoingeezer
Earning My Ears

I am on my own 2nd Oct 2012 and a little excited and nervous at the same time. Partner staying home as he isnt interested in parks. At least I get to fly Upper lol
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #30
FilmProf
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violeo View Post
Hello Everyone! Let me introduce myself my name is Marc and I live in Asheville, NC. I'm 28 years old and a big Disney freak. I'm somewhat of a regular on the Disboards...more of a stalker then a talker. To make this story short I planned a trip to Disney (April 30 to May 7th) with a friend of mine. He canceled as of today and I still plan on going. I used to live in South Florida and was able to visit Disney at the drop of a hat. Since moving further north I've been relegated to visit 1-2 x's a year. I wasn't able to visit last year due to many family problems. Well, my initials plans where to stay at the Yacht Club concierge level; but I just can't fathom spending that kind of money now that I'm going alone. I've stayed on all of Disney properties except for the value properties and was tinkering with the idea of staying there for my 8 days while at WDW. Any thoughts or opinions on property locations? I also planned for a sit down dinners for the 8 days I was there and now I'm thinking of how silly I might look dining alone....should I just cancel them? I look forward to any and all feed back and Happy belated Valentine's Day!
So Marc, how was your trip? I stayed in Yacht Club Concierge a few years back and it was glorious (running into Vincent D'Onofrio at breakfast - he was staying across the hall - didn't hurt either! )

I hope that you had a magnificent time. Just to echo the other posters, I am happily single and have never really had an issue with traveling alone. Whether it's just for me time, or time to "meet others", it's always left me with good memories. I thoroughly endorse it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: