Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
clickTHEMOUSE
Earning My Ears

Driving from Toronto to Disney World????

Hi Folks! We are driving to Disney World this summer. We've never driven. I'm thinking it will take about 24 hours. I understand the book Along I-75 is good. Any advice for me? Thanks! Sandra
clickTHEMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Although we have driven a few times, we go a different route (since we live near Trenton, we cross the border near Syracuse). My advice is to check out the driving threads on the Transportation forum. There is one for drivers only driving 2,000 miles return (you qualify) that we found particularly helpful.

Do you belong to CAA? Getting maps and/or TripTiks for the trip is helpful as a backup for your GPS. They're also great for checking out hotels for your overight stops.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
clickTHEMOUSE
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Thanks Minnie! I so want to try a ROAD TRIP to Florida for the journey. But it's so tempting to just fly!
clickTHEMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
darwinsrule
DIS Veteran

There was a link in the transportation forum to an online trip calculator that compared the pricing (driving vs. flying). My wife was looking at it a couple of months ago. The price difference between driving and flying (from Buffalo) just didn't justify the time to drive (for us the difference from Toronto was estimated around $300 (mind you that is airfare for four).
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
nokidz
thanks Mickey, now I am an addict!!

We are 2 hours north of Toronto. We drive down every winter. With kids to St.Augustine, our first shopping stop, takes us 23 hours, nobody can co-ordinate bathroom stops. . Without kids, 21 hours. We have done both routes to Florida. Our favorite, and the one we are taking in two weeks, is the I95 route.
If you are going in the summer, I would take the I95 route. It is very scenic, especially in the summer months. You would have no weather related problems.
We go 400-407-QEW and cross at Fort Erie then 90-79-19-77-95-4. We drive straight through.
past cruises

Feb 26th 2011 Eastern on the Magic!!! - graphic to come
future cruises
Nov 24th 2012 Western on the Fantasy!!! - graphic to come

Last edited by nokidz; 02-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.
nokidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Polynesianfan
O'hana means family

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokidz View Post
We are 2 hours north of Toronto. We drive down every winter. With kids to St.Augustine, our first shopping stop, takes us 23 hours, nobody can co-ordinate bathroom stops. . Without kids, 21 hours. We have done both routes to Florida. Our favorite, and the one we are taking in two weeks, is the I95 route.
If you are going in the summer, I would take the I95 route. It is very scenic, especially in the summer months. You would have no weather related problems.
We go 400-407-QEW and cross at Fort Erie then 90-79-19-77-95-4. We drive straight through.
YES PLEASE ! only take this route in the summer. We got in a major car accident in Pennsylvania in October after hitting black ice in the mountains. Now I will only fly and drive in the summer...never again in fall/spring or winter. Good luck !

Me, DH, DD12 & DD9

Always waiting on a DING !
Polynesianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
nokidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynesianfan View Post
YES PLEASE ! only take this route in the summer. We got in a major car accident in Pennsylvania in October after hitting black ice in the mountains. Now I will only fly and drive in the summer...never again in fall/spring or winter. Good luck !
I hope no one was hurt. I watch the weather for a week before we leave. Then adjust our schedule to the weather reports. We have run into heavy fog last year, and the year before, we were just ahead of an ice storm.
past cruises

future cruises
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
spatulaqueen27
Mouseketeer

We are going to be driving down this October from Sarnia with a couple friends. Should take about 20 hours so we are going to stop for the night halfway down. I think it is just straight down the I-75.

We have no kids so I will be bringing my laptop for movies.

Staying in a Vacation Condo! October 5-13, 2012

spatulaqueen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
webworm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickTHEMOUSE View Post
Thanks Minnie! I so want to try a ROAD TRIP to Florida for the journey. But it's so tempting to just fly!
Hardly worth flying if you can get a cheap fare during low season in summer. I would check Allegiant and DirectAir from Niagara Falls as well. I do see some return flights for $145 inc taxes in July and up til mid August with Allegiant.
webworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Disney-Chick
A Canadian who loves Disney eh!

We drive to Florida every December and are on the I95 most of the time. Now mind you we are in Nova Scotia and it takes us 36 hours. Oh how I wish it would only take 23 hours. We did the drive once in 2 days and drove the first day for 18 hours. It is a great drive. We love it. And we watch the weather as well and were lucky this past Dec when we didn't hit any snow at all!!!

Disney-Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
nokidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulaqueen27 View Post
We are going to be driving down this October from Sarnia with a couple friends. Should take about 20 hours so we are going to stop for the night halfway down. I think it is just straight down the I-75.

We have no kids so I will be bringing my laptop for movies.
Straight down I-75 till you hit the Florida Turnpike/Ronald Reagan Turnpike. Follow that east till Orlando. Good place to stop for the night is Atlanta GA.
past cruises

future cruises
Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
nokidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney-Chick View Post
We drive to Florida every December and are on the I95 most of the time. Now mind you we are in Nova Scotia and it takes us 36 hours. Oh how I wish it would only take 23 hours. We did the drive once in 2 days and drove the first day for 18 hours. It is a great drive. We love it. And we watch the weather as well and were lucky this past Dec when we didn't hit any snow at all!!!
36 hours, wow...... but I agree, driving is the way to go. You see some amazing, funny and unbelieveable things on the drive. Every year, either going or returning, we have some story that we chuckle about over for the next year. Two years ago, in a plaza parking lot in Clarksburgh WV, we went into a store to stretch our legs, came out and a guy had a monkey, dressed in a little suit and tie, walking with him on a leash. My kids love that one. They fed the monkey cheesies.
past cruises

future cruises
Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

I'm in Oakville...we've done the drive several times. From Toronto the shortest route is the I95. If you take the I75 you will add an extra 3 hours onto your drive.

It's about 21 driving hours....then add in stops. We usually do it in 23-24 driving hours....we only stop for gas/potty breaks and to eat. We pack all our food so when we stop to eat it's only about 15 minutes.

We like to leave home at 2-3am and drive until around 9pm. It allows us to sleep in a little and still make it to WDW for lunch. There have been a few times that due to major traffic that didn't work out.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
Polynesianfan
O'hana means family

We were all okay...thanks for asking !

Me, DH, DD12 & DD9

Always waiting on a DING !
Polynesianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
Disney-Chick
A Canadian who loves Disney eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokidz View Post
36 hours, wow...... but I agree, driving is the way to go. You see some amazing, funny and unbelieveable things on the drive. Every year, either going or returning, we have some story that we chuckle about over for the next year. Two years ago, in a plaza parking lot in Clarksburgh WV, we went into a store to stretch our legs, came out and a guy had a monkey, dressed in a little suit and tie, walking with him on a leash. My kids love that one. They fed the monkey cheesies.
We flew the first year and it cost us $2500. Driving we spend no more than $1000.

Last Dec coming home we were getting gas...for some reason I want to say Georgia and a lady was there asking everyone for extra money to get home. That her and her husband who was sitting in their car needed money for gas/food. We gave them about $5 but it was nice to see everyone helping them out. Some people came over before she could even ask them.

I would have loved to see the monkey. My daughter would have loved to feed him. YOu do see all kinds of crazy drivers/people when driving down. Some need to redo their license test again. They pass on the shoulder of the road and everything.

Disney-Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: