Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #1291
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 884

I was excited to see that there are 3 days that they are offering a 2 or 2:30 show time which we will definately be taking advantage of so that the boys don't fall asleep during the show. If we had late seating I would be falling asleep during dinner LOL The one time we had it, I was so tired by the time we got to dinner that I wasn't really even hungry and the food it one of the main reasons to cruise so we are very happy with main seating.

I'm so tired right now but I need these files to upload to the ftp so I can load them to my store tomorrow before we leave. It's kind of a pain to have to have my products, newsletters, blog posts, etc. all done ahead for two weeks but it will be so worth it!

-Stephanne
__________________

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #1292
dgmommie
Mouseketeer
 
dgmommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish

Sarah, welcome to the group!

As someone else has said, there is a boatload (pun intended) of 11 year old girls on this cruise, and a smattering of 10 and 12 year olds as well. My dd is 11, and is looking forward to having a small army of girls to hang with. We were trying to set up a meet just for the 10-12 year old girls during the regular meet. Not sure where that stands right now, but unless I hear differently, I'm considerering it to be happening. Maybe I'll make them a sign so the other girls can find them. Maybe something like this

4 days y'all. 4 days!!!!!
I mentioned that we should get the girls together, and a couple of you liked that. So let's do it... Same spot as the main meeting, just get the girls together off to the side. Elyssa is anxiously waiting to meet her pen pals Julia and Erika! Personally, I'm hoping the girls hang out together so I feel better about letting check herself in and out of the lab. She's 10 so can't go to the edge.
__________________
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #1293
dgmommie
Mouseketeer
 
dgmommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGreen
So - this is only my second Disney Cruise - and the first time doing the FEE.. You guys are so great - and knowledgeable..

Last time - we never ordered - room service - can someone tell me more about it? Where do you find a list of what you can order? I know people have talked about the cake of the day - or cookies and milk for the kids... How do you do that?

How does the tipping work for room service - do you do that at the end - or when they deliver? And since the food has no prices - how much do you tip?

Any help would be appreciated..Thanks!
I only know about ordering snacks because that,s what my boys always do - they love to use room service. The menu is in a book on the desk in the cabin. Tipping is done in cash when they deliver. Since ours is just snacks and small (I.e. cookies or ice cream), we just tip $1 or so.
__________________
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #1294
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

DH finished shopping yesterday, laundry today, pack tomorrow, then leave!!!!!! I am seriously so excited I may combust. DH is so happy that I'm happy he's talking about us going again sooner than we originally planned.

Safe travels to those of you leaving today! May your sanity be in place and your gas tanks full when you arrive in Galveston!
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #1295
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,946

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGreen View Post
Last time - we never ordered - room service - can someone tell me more about it? Where do you find a list of what you can order? I know people have talked about the cake of the day - or cookies and milk for the kids... How do you do that?

How does the tipping work for room service - do you do that at the end - or when they deliver? And since the food has no prices - how much do you tip?
Any help would be appreciated..Thanks!


DS & I looooove room service.... It takes me a good week after getting home to not instinctively keep looking for that room service button on my home phone, lol.

Like dgmommie said, the menu is in a book on the desk that also has info on everything else about the Magic. Also, you'll find breakfast menu cards in the desk drawer -- I know a bunch of people who never knew those were there until the end of the cruise! You just check off what you want and what time you want it, and hang the card outside your door the night before.

Also, even though they're not on the menu, you can almost always order Mickey bars through room service! Kids love that. And if you order the (extremely delicious) cookies, you can even ask them to warm them up for you.

We usually tip a dollar or two, depending on how much we've ordered. I keep a stack of ones in the closet on top of the safe, and make sure Tyler Dean knows where they are too since he orders sometimes when I'm not in there.

If you look at the very first post in this thread, where Katie has compiled all the useful info, there is a link to the menus. You can look at both the breakfast and the regular room service menus.

Can't wait to enjoy a Mickey bar on the balcony!!!!




Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
I am seriously so excited I may combust.

That is a perfect description of where I'm at mentally. Trying to concentrate here at work is taking every micro ounce of focus I can muster up, but it's still not really working. The steel pan music I'm listening to isn't helping, LOL.

Three more sleeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


-gina-
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #1296
Luet02
Earning My Ears
 
Luet02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
So because I'm crazy, I started talking to DH on Saturday about possibly switching our main dining time to the late seating. I've realized that my girls (who are typically in bed by 7:30) would be pushing it to make it to the 8:30 show each night and would likely be grumpy during/afterwards. Since they really don't like to come to dinner with us anyway, we can grab them something from Pluto's before the early show, go watch it, and then drop them off (in their pj's) at the kid's club while DH and I go enjoy our dinner in a dining room with fewer kids. Plus, if they DO decide to go to dinner with us, they can do the dine-n-play thing and only have to sit through a short period of time versus the full experience. Why it took me this long to figure all of this out, I have no clue.
Yes, this is exactly what we're doing as well. I think that it works out better for getting the kids to the club for the earlier activities if they want, like the Pajama party, etc. Woo Hoo! I am so not ready! Oh well, BRING IT ON! We fly out tomorrow night!!!!!! Woo Hoo!


Natalie
__________________



Me , DH , DS(8) , DS(4) , DS(1)
Luet02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #1297
juliefsu
Mouseketeer
 
juliefsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGreen View Post
So - this is only my second Disney Cruise - and the first time doing the FEE.. You guys are so great - and knowledgeable..

Last time - we never ordered - room service - can someone tell me more about it? Where do you find a list of what you can order? I know people have talked about the cake of the day - or cookies and milk for the kids... How do you do that?

How does the tipping work for room service - do you do that at the end - or when they deliver? And since the food has no prices - how much do you tip?

Any help would be appreciated..Thanks!
Room service is free. You do need to tip a few dollars. I think there are a few things you have to pay for like soda (because it comes in a can), and snacks that are prepackaged like candy. I can't remember if they have beer and wine on the room service menu. If they do it cost money too.

My kids love ordering it because its the only time we do. I know some people order a pot of coffee the night before and they say it stays warm all night. I've never done it but I may try it out this time.
juliefsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #1298
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmommie View Post
I mentioned that we should get the girls together, and a couple of you liked that. So let's do it... Same spot as the main meeting, just get the girls together off to the side. Elyssa is anxiously waiting to meet her pen pals Julia and Erika! Personally, I'm hoping the girls hang out together so I feel better about letting check herself in and out of the lab. She's 10 so can't go to the edge.
I'm not sure about the rest of my family, but Erika and I will be there, and she is looking forward to meeting Elyssa and Julia too. In fact there is no way Erika would let us miss it - she keeps checking with me to make sure that the plans to meet some new friends on the first day at the meet haven't changed.

Nicole
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #1299
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!
 
dismom73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 1,738

So, I'm sure most of you have all the time in the world to browse the computer right now..NOT, but for those of you interested DCL just announced the iteneraries for the rest of 2014 AND....wait for it....here it comes.......
THE MAGIC IS GOING TO THE SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN!!!

OK, can you tell I'm excited about that? We've been cruising DCL for 9 years now, and I have been (patiently) waiting for a Southern Caribbean cruise and it's finally here. Well, technically it's 1 year and 7 months from here...

Here's the link about this mornings announcement, the Magic is also going back to the Mediteranean, and leaving out of Venice.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3063374

The only kicker is booking opens up TOMORROW, for Gold. As if I'm not going to have enough to do tomorrow! I think I'm going to wait until we are onboard and book with the discount, I just hope I can still get in at the lowest pricing tier because there are only 4 sailings to the Southern Caribbean.

OK, back to obsessing about our current vacation...I'm off to work on FE gifts, because, NO I'm not done with them yet.
__________________
dismom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #1300
fatfish
DIS Veteran
 
fatfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, baby!
Posts: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmommie View Post
I mentioned that we should get the girls together, and a couple of you liked that. So let's do it... Same spot as the main meeting, just get the girls together off to the side. Elyssa is anxiously waiting to meet her pen pals Julia and Erika! Personally, I'm hoping the girls hang out together so I feel better about letting check herself in and out of the lab. She's 10 so can't go to the edge.
Maggie (11) will be there. She's anxiously waiting to meet all the tween girls, especially her email friends Sienna and Julia. Maggie will be going to the Edge though (unless I see alot of grown-up-too-soon 13 year olds in there. then all bets are off! )

And I'm eagerly waiting to meet all y'all, as we say here in Texas. I printed out and laminated our lime green Mickey ears, but somehow they are no longer lime green. They are more of a kelly green. So, if you see someone with any shade of green Mickey ears, they are likely one of us.

3 more days!!
__________________
fatfish
POP Century 4/2004, offsite at Dad's house (an hour away) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
AS Music 8/2008! Christmas 2008 at Dad's house
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #1301
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!
 
dismom73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 1,738

My middle DD is 13, but she is a young 13, no make up, boys or puberity yet. She will be in the edge, but I'm thinking she will migrate to the younger side.

Andrea
__________________

Last edited by dismom73; 02-12-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: name
dismom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #1302
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,946

I'll just apologize now if I start rambling between now and noon Thursday when I flee from work... Lol.

Thought I would share a couple of Magic stories while we wait... Please feel free to share yours too!!

It was our very first Magic cruise - Tyler Dean was 5-turning-6 then - and we were blown away by Castaway Cay and how unbelievably gorgeous it was. We got our cheeseburgers and other good stuff at Cookie's and sat down to eat. Just as we were taking our first bites, Jimmy Buffet's "Cheeseburger in Paradise" started playing. We just grinned at each other. And ever since then, whenever we hear that song, we are immediately brought back to Castaway Cay in our minds.

Oh, and he ended up losing his first tooth in that cheeseburger a few minutes after that! And he was so impressed that the tooth fairy managed to swim all the way out to the ship to find him.


This happened on the next cruise a year later. (I apologize if this gets long!!)
They had a pajama party with Goofy in the Oceaneer Club, and gave out these adorable travel-size pillows with Timon and Pumbaa on them and fabric markers the kids could color in the pictures with. It just so happened that Ernie Sabella, the voice of Pumbaa, was on our sailing and was doing an autograph session the next day. I suggested to Tyler Dean that we go and bring his pillow for Mr. Sabella to sign.

When it was our turn, TD went up there and shyly handed over his pillow, and Mr. Sabella was so excited -- he had no idea they were even giving out pillows with Timon & Pumbaa on them. He expressed all this to Tyler Dean in his best Pumbaa voice, and signed the pillow "To Tyler Dean from your friend, Pumbaa." TD was beaming. Fast forward to the last morning, hectic as always, and at breakfast we realize the pillow is not with him. We run back to the stateroom but it had already been stripped. We were told to check with lost and found back at the terminal, but we had no luck. The lady there said it would take a day or two for items to make it there, and to keep calling back. I called for a week, nothing. Tyler Dean was heartbroken. :-(

A couple of months went by, and he still talked about that pillow. I called DCL and explained the situation, and asked if they had a way I could just purchase another of those pillows, the way you can order items through WDW merchandising if you forgot to get something at the parks. She said "Let me see what I can do and I'll call you back." I didn't hear back for a week, and assumed it was a dead end.

Then a package showed up on our doorstep. It was another pillow -- re-signed by Ernie Sabella. It turned out he had sailed on the Magic again, this time with his mother, and they explained the whole situation to him and he graciously signed another pillow for my son. And now turning 17, TD still has and still cherishes that pillow.

And things like that are why we love Disney so very, very much.


-gina-
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #1303
fatfish
DIS Veteran
 
fatfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, baby!
Posts: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
They had a pajama party with Goofy in the Oceaneer Club, and gave out these adorable travel-size pillows with Timon and Pumbaa on them and fabric markers the kids could color in the pictures with. It just so happened that Ernie Sabella, the voice of Pumbaa, was on our sailing and was doing an autograph session the next day. I suggested to Tyler Dean that we go and bring his pillow for Mr. Sabella to sign.

When it was our turn, TD went up there and shyly handed over his pillow, and Mr. Sabella was so excited -- he had no idea they were even giving out pillows with Timon & Pumbaa on them. He expressed all this to Tyler Dean in his best Pumbaa voice, and signed the pillow "To Tyler Dean from your friend, Pumbaa." TD was beaming. Fast forward to the last morning, hectic as always, and at breakfast we realize the pillow is not with him. We run back to the stateroom but it had already been stripped. We were told to check with lost and found back at the terminal, but we had no luck. The lady there said it would take a day or two for items to make it there, and to keep calling back. I called for a week, nothing. Tyler Dean was heartbroken. :-(

A couple of months went by, and he still talked about that pillow. I called DCL and explained the situation, and asked if they had a way I could just purchase another of those pillows, the way you can order items through WDW merchandising if you forgot to get something at the parks. She said "Let me see what I can do and I'll call you back." I didn't hear back for a week, and assumed it was a dead end.

Then a package showed up on our doorstep. It was another pillow -- re-signed by Ernie Sabella. It turned out he had sailed on the Magic again, this time with his mother, and they explained the whole situation to him and he graciously signed another pillow for my son. And now turning 17, TD still has and still cherishes that pillow.

And things like that are why we love Disney so very, very much.


-gina-
I actually started to tear up at my desk when I read that. This is why we cruise Disney. :
__________________
fatfish
POP Century 4/2004, offsite at Dad's house (an hour away) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
AS Music 8/2008! Christmas 2008 at Dad's house
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #1304
purplepaula
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I'll just apologize now if I start rambling between now and noon Thursday when I flee from work... Lol.

Thought I would share a couple of Magic stories while we wait... Please feel free to share yours too!!

Tyler Dean was heartbroken. :-(

A couple of months went by, and he still talked about that pillow. I called DCL and explained the situation, and asked if they had a way I could just purchase another of those pillows, the way you can order items through WDW merchandising if you forgot to get something at the parks. She said "Let me see what I can do and I'll call you back." I didn't hear back for a week, and assumed it was a dead end.

Then a package showed up on our doorstep. It was another pillow -- re-signed by Ernie Sabella. It turned out he had sailed on the Magic again, this time with his mother, and they explained the whole situation to him and he graciously signed another pillow for my son. And now turning 17, TD still has and still cherishes that pillow.

And things like that are why we love Disney so very, very much.


-gina-
Thanks for sharing your stories, tears in my eyes too

I have never been so excited to go on a cruise before.
Looking forward to meeting everyone
Took today off work to finish getting ready -hair, highlights, waxing, new lipstick to buy (so much more to do for us girls, my husband will roll out of bed tomorrow and be ready to go)
purplepaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #1305
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!
 
dismom73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 1,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
I actually started to tear up at my desk when I read that. This is why we cruise Disney. :
So Im not the only one...
__________________
dismom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: