Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #1201
dgmommie
Mouseketeer
 
dgmommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniman01
Hi Natalie,
Remember to watch out for roaming charges if your DH checks in with work. My DH says he won't check in but I'm pretty sure eventually he will. I heard roaming charges are brutal.
My husband plans to check in while at WDW and Key West.
__________________
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #1202
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Drat! Forgot about that! Ok, will settle for no fog on departure day.

I was thinking about something today and thought I'd share for those folks who haven't sailed before. They have soda/juice machines up on deck nine so you can go and get drinks whenever you want; however, they don't have straws or lids due to the hazards they pose if they blow overboard. My 3-year-old struggles drinking out of a cup with no straw so we're bringing a cup for her to use while out and about. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has little ones with the same problem.
Thanks for this! I had just told my mom that I wasn't going to bother with extra cups for the boys because I assumed they would have lids and straws. They can drink fine from a regular cup at meals but I'd rather not have to deal with spills etc in the room or try to carry lidless cups around so I think I will bring a couple along with a bigger cup for me too.

Well, yesterday my mom and I attempted the last part of our FE gifts. We were planning on putting oreos on a stick with mini oreos for Mickey ears and covering with chocolate. Let's just say it was an epic pinterest fail! The oreos broke so we couldn't dip them. The sticks didn't want to stay in and when we spooned the chocolate over them it pooled as it was drying and well, they didn't look much like Mickey! So yeah, sorry about that, but we quit after about 10-15. We have plenty of other stuff to give anyway and didn't want to spend hours trying to make it look like the picture!

And then my husband and I are here at winter camp with our Sr. High students (Andrew is a youth pastor). We were here all of one hour last night and I twisted my right ankle badly attempting to play volleyball. It hurts so bad. Fingers crossed that wrapping it, staying off it, and ibuprofen will do the trick and I'm not still limping a week from now. I'm especially worried about the WDW day. Sigh. So no taboggans or snow shoeing for me. Thank goodness they have good WIFI and that I brought my computer!
__________________

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #1203
juliefsu
Mouseketeer
 
juliefsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipsNSnails View Post
Thanks for this! I had just told my mom that I wasn't going to bother with extra cups for the boys because I assumed they would have lids and straws. They can drink fine from a regular cup at meals but I'd rather not have to deal with spills etc in the room or try to carry lidless cups around so I think I will bring a couple along with a bigger cup for me too.

Well, yesterday my mom and I attempted the last part of our FE gifts. We were planning on putting oreos on a stick with mini oreos for Mickey ears and covering with chocolate. Let's just say it was an epic pinterest fail! The oreos broke so we couldn't dip them. The sticks didn't want to stay in and when we spooned the chocolate over them it pooled as it was drying and well, they didn't look much like Mickey! So yeah, sorry about that, but we quit after about 10-15. We have plenty of other stuff to give anyway and didn't want to spend hours trying to make it look like the picture!

And then my husband and I are here at winter camp with our Sr. High students (Andrew is a youth pastor). We were here all of one hour last night and I twisted my right ankle badly attempting to play volleyball. It hurts so bad. Fingers crossed that wrapping it, staying off it, and ibuprofen will do the trick and I'm not still limping a week from now. I'm especially worried about the WDW day. Sigh. So no taboggans or snow shoeing for me. Thank goodness they have good WIFI and that I brought my computer!
Sorry to hear about your ankle. Praying for quick healing. WDW day isn't for a week and a half so it will probably be better. Stay off it, ice it, keep it up and that anti-inflamatory.

I have had many Pinterest fails. Pinterest makes things look so easy. At least you tried.

We are in cruise mode this weekend. Packing, haircuts, errands getting all the little stuff. Can't wait! DD teach was happy for us DS not so much. I asked if he could take his test early and the teacher said no he'll have to take it when he gets back.

- Julie
juliefsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #1204
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY

I'm not a weather expert - how does a higher temperature increase the chance of fog? We've been in the 20's for weeks. The fog has been so thick that the visibility has been 50 feet most mornings on my drive to work. The airport has even closed here a few times. Finally once we started to get into the 30's it seems to have subsided a little bit.
LOL! I don't think there is such a thing as a weather expert in Texas! Basically, we go from really warm (like 80) to pretty cold (40s) all in the span of a day. When the temps start to warm up and even out (60s-70s), in comes the fog. I assume it has something to do with warm ground / cold air? Maybe the other way around? I just know its the milder mornings that we get the worst fog. The cooler it is on the day of sailing, the less likely there will be fog. Welcome to Texas! Hehehe

I think we're going to end up picking up the last few things we need today. I made my packing list this morning and wrote down everything I need to do for school/work/cruise next week. It's a long list. Definitely going to have to prioritize!!! It doesn't help that my daughter's Destination Imagination group is gearing up for completion so they practice 4 times per week. And of course this would be Girl Scout week too so my afternoons/evenings are full! Still happy dancing that all the rushing around will end with us sailing away on the Magic!!!!

6 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #1205
duck_widow
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefsu View Post
MCKQuilt we are neighbors (sort of). We are in San Jose. We moved her almost 2 years ago and love the weather! DH and I always say, after living here where do you move? Anywhere else would be a weather down grade (well, maybe SoCa would be a little better)
Yay! We're from San Jose too. Bay Area represent!
duck_widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #1206
fatfish
DIS Veteran
 
fatfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, baby!
Posts: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Drat! Forgot about that! Ok, will settle for no fog on departure day.

I was thinking about something today and thought I'd share for those folks who haven't sailed before. They have soda/juice machines up on deck nine so you can go and get drinks whenever you want; however, they don't have straws or lids due to the hazards they pose if they blow overboard. My 3-year-old struggles drinking out of a cup with no straw so we're bringing a cup for her to use while out and about. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has little ones with the same problem.
We always bring our own cups because the ones at the soda station are so small. I think they are like 8 ounces. You can use your own cups, you just need to dispense from the machine into the paper cups, and pour the paper cups into your cup. This is for sanitary reasons. We have 16 oz Tervis "knock-offs" with their own lids and straws. In the past we have used the refillable cups from WDW, and they work well too.

And as for the fog, right now there is no fog forecast for Friday in Galveston, but as it gets warmer the risk increases. There is currently fog forecast for Saturday morning in Galveston, so we don't want that moving up a day! The weather this time of year is very variable. Galveston is usually a bit warmer that Houston. Just so you know, the low Friday morning in Houston is forecast to be 37 degrees, with a north wind. So bring your coats!
The high in Houston on Friday is expected to be 50 degrees. But all of this could change, several times, in the next week.

6 days!!!!
__________________
fatfish
POP Century 4/2004, offsite at Dad's house (an hour away) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
AS Music 8/2008! Christmas 2008 at Dad's house
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #1207
duck_widow
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 62

Starting to Panic

Hi,

Well it's 5 days before we leave and we're all sick, FE not made, FE gifts not done, not packed and I can't find a formal night dress.

I'm recruiting my 12yo DD to make a duct tape FE.

I sure hope our luck turns around!
duck_widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #1208
betsy2010
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68

We're from the Bay Area too (Tiburon) so we know our fog! hoping for clears skies next Friday. We're staying at Harbor House and are hoping to wake up to seeing the ship in port!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_widow View Post
Yay! We're from San Jose too. Bay Area represent!
betsy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #1209
betsy2010
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 68

castaway cay 66!?

ok, did anyone else notice that castaway cay the day we're supposed to be there is forecast to be 66?! what? that sounds crazy, doesn't it?
http://www.accuweather.com/en/bs/cas...2292502?day=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
LOL! I don't think there is such a thing as a weather expert in Texas! Basically, we go from really warm (like 80) to pretty cold (40s) all in the span of a day. When the temps start to warm up and even out (60s-70s), in comes the fog. I assume it has something to do with warm ground / cold air? Maybe the other way around? I just know its the milder mornings that we get the worst fog. The cooler it is on the day of sailing, the less likely there will be fog. Welcome to Texas! Hehehe

I think we're going to end up picking up the last few things we need today. I made my packing list this morning and wrote down everything I need to do for school/work/cruise next week. It's a long list. Definitely going to have to prioritize!!! It doesn't help that my daughter's Destination Imagination group is gearing up for completion so they practice 4 times per week. And of course this would be Girl Scout week too so my afternoons/evenings are full! Still happy dancing that all the rushing around will end with us sailing away on the Magic!!!!

6 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!
betsy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #1210
moniman01
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 25

I'm hoping that will change. I can tell you weather in Orlando, Houston/Galveston is so unpredictable. It's been in high 70s for 2 weeks and now supposed to be in 60s the day we sail.
moniman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #1211
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran
 
I❤MICKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 863

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2010
ok, did anyone else notice that castaway cay the day we're supposed to be there is forecast to be 66?! what? that sounds crazy, doesn't it?
http://www.accuweather.com/en/bs/cas...2292502?day=10
This is not what I've been seeing at all on weather.com. It only goes out 10 days but it hasn't been below 70 for Castaway Cay. Same is true for Orlando. I will be happy in the 70's but 60's would be a total bummer. Fingers crossed its nice and warm.

http://m.weather.com/10day/BFXX0018

Last edited by I❤MICKEY; 02-09-2013 at 04:32 PM.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #1212
elmo2200
cruisey moms choose DIS!!
 
elmo2200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DFW,Texas
Posts: 321

We are taking reusable water bottles too! I picked up a bottle of gluten free amaretto and I figure I could use my water bottle to take drinks to some of the adult activities at night. With my food allergies I can't have regular sweet and sour mix so I plan to make my own using lemon koolaid. We'll see how it goes...
__________________
Tracey Me DH DD(19) DS(15)
2/28/2008 3 day Wonder, CBR * 2/08/2009 4 day Wonder, CBR * 11/12/2009 3 day Wonder , Nickelodeon Hotel * 02/15/2013 8 day Magic 20th Anniversary/DD Senior Trip *
elmo2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #1213
Ichiban
Mouseketeer
 
Ichiban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 95

Just watched the Magic leave Galveston. Only 6 more days and that will be us!!

Carol
__________________
Ichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #1214
elmo2200
cruisey moms choose DIS!!
 
elmo2200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DFW,Texas
Posts: 321

I just discovered that my kids' passports are EXPIRED!!!!!!! Thank God I got an appointment for Monday by phone at our regional passport office. Now I need passport photos!!
__________________
Tracey Me DH DD(19) DS(15)
2/28/2008 3 day Wonder, CBR * 2/08/2009 4 day Wonder, CBR * 11/12/2009 3 day Wonder , Nickelodeon Hotel * 02/15/2013 8 day Magic 20th Anniversary/DD Senior Trip *
elmo2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #1215
Wshop
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_widow View Post
Yay! We're from San Jose too. Bay Area represent!
We are from the Bay Area as well.. Flying out Thursday afternoon from SFO I will wear my green mickey ring (it can't be missed). Finally got seats together on the airplane with my son..yeah!
Wshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: