Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #961
betsy2010
Earning My Ears

DS11 = apparently boys don't email ahead of time ;-)

thanks for the msg - I'd actually asked my DS11 if he wanted me to see if there were any other 11-12 year old boys to email ahead of time. He looked at me like I was totally daft and said "why would I do that". I think the txting/emailing ahead is a girl thing! Just like men mostly just use the phone/email for 'transactional conversations' apparently so do boys. women can spend hrs on the phone gabbing about nothing and men say 6 words and get off the phone ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
I don't know that the kids can go back and forth between the Edge and the Lab. I think they can try both but then have to pick one. But it could have changed, again. My DD11 has been emailing a couple of the other DD11s on the cruise, but I don't know how comfortable she will be emailing a boy, especially one she does not know. I know there are other tween boys on this cruise. Maybe you can put your DS in touch with some of them?
betsy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #962
betsy2010
Earning My Ears

Photo of my crew

Here's a photo of my crew so you can spot us (like I said, we're also giants so that helps too ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom73 View Post
I feel like I've been gone forever and missed so much! Between the cheer competition in Las Vegas (which went well, they got 2nd place at Nationals)and then coming home and half of our house having the flu...I'm way behind. I spent 6 hours cleaning house yesterday, seriously 6 straight hours. Now I'm starting on FE stuff today. I have emergency training all day tomorrow and Friday and we are having a Super Bowl party here on Sunday...I really don't know how I'm going to get everything done. Seeing the Navigators is getting me really excited though! There's so much I want to do on this cruise, with all of our sea days it should work out. We will be missing the meet on the 2nd day because we have brunch scheduled that day. I'm really going to try and make it to the first one, but the first day is always so hectic for me! Not sure if my kids will make it or not, the last time I dragged them out of the pool on the first day to go meet "a bunch of strangers that I met on the computer that are as crazy about Disney as I am", they weren't too happy with me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with them.
I love watching Match your Mate, that game is always good entertainment! So I will be at one of those for sure. Also, love 80's and 90's music...and we are going to do at least one tasting, just not sure which one yet.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #963
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo71 View Post
What a handsome boy!
Thank you, that's very sweet! I had to tell him, and he said "Aww, why thank ya!" He was supposed to be embarrassed... weirdo... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2010 View Post
Here's a photo of my crew so you can spot us (like I said, we're also giants so that helps too ;-)

Holy cow, what a great picture!!

I am loving seeing all of you -- I've been staring at the pics trying to commit your faces to memory. And I love all the pirate costumes pics and descriptions! I think we'll be the only ones not dressed up... heh. Hopefully not!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #964
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2010
thanks for the msg - I'd actually asked my DS11 if he wanted me to see if there were any other 11-12 year old boys to email ahead of time. He looked at me like I was totally daft and said "why would I do that". I think the txting/emailing ahead is a girl thing! Just like men mostly just use the phone/email for 'transactional conversations' apparently so do boys. women can spend hrs on the phone gabbing about nothing and men say 6 words and get off the phone ;-)
My daughter Elyssa started out emailing two girls but hasn't written in awhile. She's got one email half written but keeps forgetting to finish. So maybe email won't work for her, but she will hang out with anyone's 10 or 11 year old girl in the group - she is definitely a people-person but takes a few minutes to warm up first. I know that she will want some girls to hang out with (she's 10).
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #965
betsy2010
Earning My Ears

thanks Gina - it was taken in Ko Olina right near the Aulani - happy day!
Can't believe we get on a plane 2 weeks from tomorrow - yipee! Looking forward to meeting folks
Betsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Holy cow, what a great picture!!

I am loving seeing all of you -- I've been staring at the pics trying to commit your faces to memory. And I love all the pirate costumes pics and descriptions! I think we'll be the only ones not dressed up... heh. Hopefully not!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #966
elmo2200
cruisey moms choose DIS!!

I can't believe that many of the Galveston hotels have lowered prices!! I just cancelled La Quinta and booked Holiday Inn Galveston-on the-Beach for $85 which includes free parking and cruise shuttle.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #967
purplepaula
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo2200 View Post
I can't believe that many of the Galveston hotels have lowered prices!! I just cancelled La Quinta and booked Holiday Inn Galveston-on the-Beach for $85 which includes free parking and cruise shuttle.
That's where we are staying too That is a great price, I booked mine awhile ago with Hotwire but I think I might be paying more
purplepaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #968
purplepaula
Earning My Ears

Quote:
DS and I have been looking at the Navigators debating teen club or tween for him. He is 14 so he may go between them because he normally hangs out with kids of all ages. He's a sweetie and young at heart so I prefer Edge for him.
I am in the same spot with my 14 yr old. I want him to decide on his own and I think he likes the thought of the teen club (and he is very close with his older brother who is 17) but I think the tween would be a better fit. He likes activities and having things organized and up for anything fun and/silly, some of the teen clubs (although they weren't Disney) seem to be more hanging out with friends (which my oldest one loves). I think we will go to both open houses and see where most of the 14 yr olds are.
purplepaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #969
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
Sorry for the posting flurry... Just so excited over finally getting to see the new Navigators!!

Alright, how about the second meet at 10:30am Saturday, in the area right there in front of Signals and Cove Cafe? (Deck 9 midship) Signals won't be open so there shouldn't be anyone there, we can grab some late-morning treats in Cove Cafe, and we can enjoy the nice ocean air. There doesn't seem to really be anything else going on at that time other than a DVC thing, and a second meet will give folks who couldn't make the first meet a chance to say hi to whoever else wants to show up. Hopefully more than just me. I never pass up a chance to meet up with DIS-friends!

I've made a quick list of highlights (adult stuff) of the rest of the cruise, and stuff I really want to do and would love some company!

Friday night: I know it's the first night but hopefully you got your rest that morning, because MAGIC QUEST is that night!! 10:30pm in Rockin' Bar D. A don't-miss. Would LOVE to have a mostly-DIS team!!

Saturday: I'm conflicted on two things -- There's a wine tasting on Texas wines at 12:30 in Sessions, which I would *really* love to do, but the first Singles/single parents/solo travelers lunch with the cruise staff is at 12:45 in Parrot Cay and I have always enjoyed those a great deal. And missing the first one is like kids missing the first night in the youth clubs -- you just never do that! So I'll probably end up at the lunch...

There's one of those lunches in Parrot Cay every sea day at either 12:30 or 12:45, for whoever might want to join me!

There's also a Singles Mingle at 4:30 that afternoon in Cove Cafe, and around that time every sea day. I'll be at those too! And just to clarify, for anyone new to DCL, the "singles" get-togethers are not "meet markets" at all... They really are for not just singles, but single parents, and people simply traveling alone for whatever reason. I am very happy with my boyfriend and not looking for a date -- but these get-togethers have always been such a great way to get to know the cruise staff and to make new friends to hang out with on the cruise. I have always had the best time with the people I've met that way!! And since I generally only see my son at dinner and pin trading, it's a fun way to get to hang out with other grownups.

Okay, back to Saturday -- They're having a Spa Bingo session at 3:15 that I think I'm going to go to, if anyone wants to join me. And Saturday night is another biggie -- Match Your Mate! 10:45 in Rockin' Bar D, and another don't-miss. I try and get to these big-deal things at RBD no later than 10 or 10:15, to grab a table or three right there in front of the dance floor, against the rail. Hope some of y'all can join me!

Sunday has the singles' lunch and later Mingle again. And I know this is early, but Team Trivia is at 9:45 that morning in Diversions. I'm going to try and make it!

Monday (Castaway Cay day) is the 80's party!! SO much fun... I just love it. Will you end up as a member of Bon Jovi or the Go-Go's? 10:30 in Rockin' Bar D!

Wednesday is lunch (12:45) and Mingle (4:30) again. And again, this is early, but TV Tune Trivia is at 9:30am in Diversions. Would love to do that!! But being the morning after a late night at WDW, I'm not at all sure I'll make it... gonna play that one by ear. Movie Quote Trivia is at a more doable 3pm, but I think I would suck at that, lol.

Thursday has Officer Pin Trading at 7:30 in front of Preludes, and DS & I will definitely be at that! We'll be at the pin cart probably every evening at that time, but really enjoy trading with the Officers. Then at 10:45 in Rockin' Bar D is the 70's Disco Party!! Another huge barrel of not-to-miss fun.

Friday has the trivia I absolutely don't want to miss -- 80's & 90's Music Trivia at 3pm in Diversions. Who wants to play with me?? There's also Mixology at 4pm in Sessions, which I have never done and sounds really cool to me. I'd like to do it if trivia is done by then. It says trivia is done by 3:45, so I'm hoping to do both! Then that night at 10:30 in Rockin' Bar D is Pop!, a pop-culture game show. They have never had that in my previous cruises, but I am allllll over something like that, lol.

Sorry so long -- but I hope to get to do some of this fun stuff with y'all!!

-gina-
Gina - you are SO much more organized than me! I will add the second meet and the grown up fun to the first page post. Hopefully there's not a word count limit! Maybe ill just list times? Hmmm....

Also, since Gina's meet is more adult-oriented, I thought it would be fun to set up one for those of us who may (or may not) have little ones with us. How does 10:00 by the splash pad/water slide at the Mickey Pool? I was thinking we could make it a standing meet for all of our days at sea. That way the kids can get their pool time in and we can talk about which activities we're attending and coordinate on a more casual, daily basis.

While I would LOVE to be as organized as Gina, I've promised my husband I will relax and not over plan this cruise (I have a tendency to do that!). With a standing 10am pool-side meet, I can still relax and help my girls hook up with potential friends.

Let me know what y'all think. In the meantime, I'll get to work on adding the meets to page 1.

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #970
Wshop
Mouseketeer

Betsy - I love your family picture! We also will be at the Harbor House the night before....though arriving very late. I plan to walk to the ship...hopefully DS will be so excited that he will cooperate in helping with the rolling luggage

Julie- my friends from the Houston area said to go to Specs - which is apparently like a Bev Mo.
Wshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #971
Luet02
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Also, since Gina's meet is more adult-oriented, I thought it would be fun to set up one for those of us who may (or may not) have little ones with us. How does 10:00 by the splash pad/water slide at the Mickey Pool? I was thinking we could make it a standing meet for all of our days at sea. That way the kids can get their pool time in and we can talk about which activities we're attending and coordinate on a more casual, daily basis.
Hi Katie:

I think that that is a great idea for us folks with the little ones. Count me in for the 10 am pool meeting!

Does anyone know when the Alice teas are? I've been quickly scanning the navigators, but I can't seem to find the day and time that they are on.

Thanks,

Natalie

Me , DH , DS(8) , DS(4) , DS(1)
Luet02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #972
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Gina - you are SO much more organized than me! I will add the second meet and the grown up fun to the first page post. Hopefully there's not a word count limit! Maybe ill just list times? Hmmm....

While I would LOVE to be as organized as Gina, I've promised my husband I will relax and not over plan this cruise (I have a tendency to do that!). With a standing 10am pool-side meet, I can still relax and help my girls hook up with potential friends.

Let me know what y'all think. In the meantime, I'll get to work on adding the meets to page 1.

You are too funny, Katie!! I am sooooo not organized in "real life"... I just love cruising and Disney trips so much, and the waiting about kills me, so planning and anticipating and organizing makes the time go by faster.
I think your meet-with-the-littles idea is a great one -- I hope lots of people are able to join you!

I know from the list of stuff I posted that I want to do, y'all must think I'm just a kid-hater or a party girl or something, but being a single mom since my son was < 2 has meant that he and I have had a loooooot of together-time... and I have had pretty much no grownup time. When he was little and we would sail on the Magic, we still did lots of stuff together -- Mickey Mania, family trivia, go to the pool, etc. -- and for all these years I have just been "Tyler Dean's mom", or the crazy cheering Band Mom, and stuff like that, but on the cruise I get to be Gina.

But just to clarify for everyone, especially people new to the Magic, the embarkation-day DIS Meet is very kid-friendly. The Promenade Lounge is open, not enclosed, and when we've had meets there before the kids always love dancing around and burning off steam in the little dance floor area. I can't see images here at work, but if you Google it you can see what I mean by "open."

Katie ~ Yeah, I would just put the times and places of the Meets on the front page. If anyone wants to do the adult stuff, they'll see it in the Navigators themselves... I was just hoping for some trivia partners, and sharing my excitement over finally seeing accurate Navigators.

-gina-

Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #973
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wshop View Post
Julie- my friends from the Houston area said to go to Specs - which is apparently like a Bev Mo.

Spec's is seriously awesome, but you would definitely need a car. The one on the Island isn't anywhere near the port. The only place would be Frankie's Liquor at Strand & 21st, like hudson3709 mentioned. They're open 10a-9p Monday-Saturday. I've never been there, though, so I can't vouch for their selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFun View Post
Gina - Count me in for the Magic Quest. I am terrible at music trivia, but if you can have all the people you want on a team, I will still play with you. The second meet time sounds good to me.
Quote:
Gina- the movie quote trivia sounds fun and I watched a youtube video of Magic Quest. It looks like a riot! Hopefully I can get DH to at least go watch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dismom73 View Post
I love watching Match your Mate, that game is always good entertainment! So I will be at one of those for sure. Also, love 80's and 90's music...and we are going to do at least one tasting, just not sure which one yet.

I keep going back through the past few pages and finding stuff I've forgotten to address!

YAY that y'all want to do trivia and Magic Quest!! Tracey, tell your husband there are always tons of people just there to watch... no one is going to force him to participate, I promise.

Andrea ~ That's awesome the girls took 2nd at Nationals! How exciting!! And I really hope you'll join me for the 80's/90's music trivia... It's the 90's part I'm worried about, lol. And it would be so much more fun to have a DIS-friend there.

-gina-

Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #974
fatfish
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=KPetty725;47365070]

With a standing 10am pool-side meet, I can still relax and help my girls hook up with potential friends. QUOTE]

At 10 am, you won't find us anywhere but breakfast on a sea day. I'll drag us out of bed early for WDW and Key West, but we're nocturnal by nature. Plus, depending on where we are, it may still be a little cool at 10 am. We're planning our pool time in the afternoon when it will be warmer.

We'll wave to y'all if we pass by on our way to Topsiders for breakfast.
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #975
fatfish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post

I was just hoping for some trivia partners, and sharing my excitement over finally seeing accurate Navigators.

-gina-
Gina, apparently Maggie is planning to ditch me more than I had anticipated, so I may be available for more of the adult activities. I love trivia, so I hope to be able to make it to those.
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: