Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #811
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Also, Be Our Guest is a quick-service restaurant for lunch - no reservations needed. I've been reading that folks start lining up about 30 min before the restaurant opens, but that once it opens the line moves quickly. Hope that helps

Oh, right, lunch! I never think about places like that for lunch. I'm way too cheap, LOL. But that's a great option!!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #812
Luet02
Earning My Ears

Anyone else look into the rental car situation for the Houston/Galveston area? Is there anywhere to drop off a rental car by the port? Or are they only located at the airports?

We're getting in on Wed night, and we will probably do some exploring on Thursday (ie. space station), so that's why we're thinking about getting a rental for 1 or 2 days.

Natalie

Me , DH , DS(8) , DS(4) , DS(1)
Luet02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #813
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luet02 View Post
Anyone else look into the rental car situation for the Houston/Galveston area? Is there anywhere to drop off a rental car by the port? Or are they only located at the airports?

We're getting in on Wed night, and we will probably do some exploring on Thursday (ie. space station), so that's why we're thinking about getting a rental for 1 or 2 days.

Natalie

The only agency on the island is Enterprise, and it is not near the port -- you would need to take a cab. But the island isn't big -- it wouldn't be very much. There have been mixed reports though, on being charged a drop-off fee for a one-way rental... It might be cheaper to rent a car for the whole duration, find a hotel that allows cruisers to park for free, and just return the car to the airport back in Houston where you picked it up.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #814
Luet02
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
The only agency on the island is Enterprise, and it is not near the port -- you would need to take a cab. But the island isn't big -- it wouldn't be very much. There have been mixed reports though, on being charged a drop-off fee for a one-way rental... It might be cheaper to rent a car for the whole duration, find a hotel that allows cruisers to park for free, and just return the car to the airport back in Houston where you picked it up.
Ah, okay, good to know! I was wondering why some people were renting a car and parking it during the cruise. Now, I know!

Thanks Gina!

Natalie

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #815
Tass
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oh, right, lunch! I never think about places like that for lunch. I'm way too cheap, LOL. But that's a great option!!
Check out the menus if you haven't already. Lunch and dinner are very different. Lunch is pretty much sandwiches, quiche etc. and all in the $8-$10 range. Plus, it has seating for over 500 in all 3 of the dining rooms. I'm thinking the price is pretty comparable to any other counter service place in the MK, but with much more room and ambiance
Tass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #816
bpokornik
Earning My Ears

3-D Glasses and Big Screen on Deck

Question about the 3-D glasses---the glasses are a NOT like the ones at the park. These are much more comfortable and heavier plastic.

The Big Screen on Deck ---In the Navigator it will list a daily schedule for the big screen so you can plan your day.

Also movies I listed were for the inside movie theatre. There may be a few changes. If Disney has a new release while we are board, we get to see it too!
bpokornik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #817
FloridaFun
Mouseketeer

Final call to join the 4th (and last) FEE group for our cruise. Let me know today if you are going to join as the group will be closing tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Beth

Disney Dream August 2011 - Ruby Princess December 2011 - Carnival Triumph March 2012 - Can't wait to be on the Disney Magic February 2013
FloridaFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #818
MKCQuilt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I think it's all pretty much the same... online might be easier if their phone lines are way tied up. I hope you're able to snag a cancellation or something! From what I understand, Be Our Guest has been booked up through Spring ever since they opened reservations up for the place. I've got my fingers crossed for ya!
Thanks for the info! You saved us endless frustration. We'll try lunch.
MKCQuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #819
FloridaFun
Mouseketeer

We are also planning to have lunch at Be Our Guest. See you there!

Disney Dream August 2011 - Ruby Princess December 2011 - Carnival Triumph March 2012 - Can't wait to be on the Disney Magic February 2013
FloridaFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #820
nzkiwi
Earning My Ears

Question Where are people staying before/after cruise?

We are flying in very late on the 14th and need to book a hotel. We are looking for something near the airport, but there are 2 adults + 3 kids and most places seem to have a room capacity of 4.

We fly home on the 24th so we're looking for something to do and a place to stay and transportation options after we dock. Any suggestions?

We are so excited about our first cruise!
nzkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #821
Dawncala
Collector of magical memories and pixie dust

Quote:

Natalie
Here was my experience with Galveston cruise travel. We are arriving on Thursday evening and don't fly out until late the next Saturday so we thought having a rental car, so we could sight see a little, was the way to go.

9 day rentals have been pricing out at $500 - $600, plus another $60 - $100 for parking it while we're away, so I was all set to rent a couple of 1 way cars from Enterprise. We can do that from Orlando to Port Canaveral round trip for around $120.

I got through telling Enterprise all our travel information and with fees, more fees, taxes, service charges and an "economy recovery tax" she quoted me $295. That was darn high, but about the same cost as taking a shuttle round trip so I said "book it". She sent me a confirmation then said, "now let's work on that return trip."

OMG! She seriously quoted me $295 just for a 24 hour rental from Houston (IAH) to Galveston. I immediately cancelled and booked a shuttle.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #822
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFam View Post

As for the FEE, I dont know anything about what it is and I was scared to do to it without seeing what it was all about
The FEE is quite simple. There is a hook outside your cabin door in the shape of a fish where you will receive mail from the cruise line. You make or find something with 2 or 3 pockets (about 8 or 9 inches wide). This is called a FE (Fish Extender). You are extending you mail holder, and you make your own, buy a fancy one off etsy.com, or a simple one for about $5 from Ikea. I am cutting down a fabric shoe organizer to make one because I don't sew. Then you join a group and get a list of the cabin #'s in your group and everyone leaves small gifts for each other. They have kept the groups small so that you only need to buy or make gifts for about 12 cabins. The gifts can be anything (home made or bought). A few examples are glow sticks, dollar store toys for the kids, handmade key chains or bracelets or cruise themed magnets, or what ever you can dream up. There is no set price range and you can get a gift for each cabin or for each person in each cabin or both. You can drop off gifts 1 time during the cruise or multiple times. It is all just for added fun on the cruise with no pressure or expectations.

For lots of us its our first time hearing about and doing this too. But just remember groups 1 through 3 are closed and you only have one more day to join group 4, so join in quick if you can!
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #823
Dawncala
Collector of magical memories and pixie dust

For the Disney Cruise Line first timers here is a link I found incredibly valuable before my first Disney cruise. It has so much great information.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2068966
Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #824
Luet02
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawncala View Post
Here was my experience with Galveston cruise travel. We are arriving on Thursday evening and don't fly out until late the next Saturday so we thought having a rental car, so we could sight see a little, was the way to go.

9 day rentals have been pricing out at $500 - $600, plus another $60 - $100 for parking it while we're away, so I was all set to rent a couple of 1 way cars from Enterprise. We can do that from Orlando to Port Canaveral round trip for around $120.

I got through telling Enterprise all our travel information and with fees, more fees, taxes, service charges and an "economy recovery tax" she quoted me $295. That was darn high, but about the same cost as taking a shuttle round trip so I said "book it". She sent me a confirmation then said, "now let's work on that return trip."

OMG! She seriously quoted me $295 just for a 24 hour rental from Houston (IAH) to Galveston. I immediately cancelled and booked a shuttle.
I think that we are going to end up renting a car for the entire time, Wed night thru Sun morning, and park it at a Galveston hotel that has free parking. Enterprise is way too expensive!!! They want $100 each time you drop off the car in a different location. So, basically they charge an extra $200, to drop off at Galveston, and then drop off at the airport on the way home. They are also the most expensive company to rent from for some reason. No Thanks!

Natalie

Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #825
purplepaula
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I think that we are going to end up renting a car for the entire time, Wed night thru Sun morning, and park it at a Galveston hotel that has free parking. Enterprise is way too expensive!!! They want $100 each time you drop off the car in a different location. So, basically they charge an extra $200, to drop off at Galveston, and then drop off at the airport on the way home. They are also the most expensive company to rent from for some reason. No Thanks!

Natalie
Trying to book transportation is the most stressful part I think. There are a few rentals from Texas City, that don`t charge drop off fees but it cost $50 for shuttle from there to the port. I would park the car but we need a minivan so it makes it too expensive. The way back we need something for 8ppl so I might book a big van or send my Mom on the Disney shuttle. If only I lived in Galveston, I would open a car rental place. It is crazy what Enterprise charges.
purplepaula is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: