Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #781
fatfish
DIS Veteran
 
fatfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, baby!
Posts: 563

Well, the first box of FE gifts I ordered online arrived yesterday. They are much bigger than I thought they would be. I was worried they would be too small, but nope, they are not. Either the dimensions were not given on the website, or I missed them entirely. I still think the kids will like them, though. But the parents may hate me.....
__________________
fatfish
POP Century 4/2004, offsite at Dad's house (an hour away) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
AS Music 8/2008! Christmas 2008 at Dad's house
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #782
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
Y'all, Texas winter weather is very unpredictable. We can have 80 degrees and fog one day, and 33 degrees and sleet the next. While it is rare for Galveston to get as low as 33, its been about that overnight all week in Houston, which is where the airports are. Dallas was shut down by freezing rain earlier in the week. February is usually nicer weather than January, but the fog happens in warmer weather, not the cold weather. Many days the weather is beautiful 60 - 70 degrees, but anything is possible. I'm just saying to be prepared for any type of weather, and any complications it could cause. And bring your coats.


Exactly!! We may only have two seasons here - summer and winter - but this time of year we often have them both in the same week. Sometimes the same day.

Like Fatfish said, you just have to be prepared! And don't stress about it... Mother Nature is gonna do whatever she wants to do, lol. We just have to roll with it!
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #783
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
Y'all, Texas winter weather is very unpredictable. We can have 80 degrees and fog one day, and 33 degrees and sleet the next. While it is rare for Galveston to get as low as 33, its been about that overnight all week in Houston, which is where the airports are. Dallas was shut down by freezing rain earlier in the week. February is usually nicer weather than January, but the fog happens in warmer weather, not the cold weather. Many days the weather is beautiful 60 - 70 degrees, but anything is possible. I'm just saying to be prepared for any type of weather, and any complications it could cause. And bring your coats. [/COLOR]
33, sleet, coats!? I need help with what to pack. I was planning to be in capri's and shorts most of the time, and I only planned to bring 2 pairs of full length pants, and I'm not planning on doing laundry. Should I rethink this and pack more pants and less shorts? What is everyone packing for clothes? I do know enough to bring a jacket in case it is cold and windy on the top deck in the evening, but I wasn't expecting to need it in Texas. Help?
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #784
Tass
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luet02 View Post
Hi all:

Has anyone else seen this thread?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3046725

Don't want to alarm anyone, but anyone travelling via their own air the last day of the cruise might want to check that their trip insurance covers "missed connections".

We're not affected because we fly out the next day.
I have been following that thread. The possibility of fog is making me pretty nervous! We are scheduled to fly out the afternoon we get back into TX. I've looked at airfare and found we could fly out the next morning for an additional $150 or so total for the 4 of us, plus hotel. DH and I can't decide if we should make the switch to the next day or take our chances with the Saturday departure. What's everyone else doing?
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #785
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCruiser

33, sleet, coats!? I need help with what to pack. I was planning to be in capri's and shorts most of the time, and I only planned to bring 2 pairs of full length pants, and I'm not planning on doing laundry. Should I rethink this and pack more pants and less shorts? What is everyone packing for clothes? I do know enough to bring a jacket in case it is cold and windy on the top deck in the evening, but I wasn't expecting to need it in Texas. Help?
Ok, I'm a life-long Texan so here's my two cents: pack for cool-cold mornings and evenings (32-35 degrees) and warm to hot afternoons (60-85 degrees). That is a "normal" Texas winter day. For example, I send my kids to school in jeans and a short-sleeved shirt with a jacket. They ditch the jacket about 10am and my oldest comes home at 3 and puts on shorts. Then they wear flannel pjs to bed. The same will go for the day in Orlando. The weather is generally more mild though so u can probably skip the jacket if you don't want to be stuck carrying it all day. Go out on deck four before you get off the ship. If you can stand there with no jacket, leave it. It'll be warmer in Orlando.

If you're used to northern winters, you'll probably be fine with capris and a light jacket for morning and evening. I'd probably reserve shorts/tanks for the beach though. We southerners tend to be a bit more susceptible to the cooler temps just because we experience them for such a short time every year, if at all, so our family will be packing mostly jeans (much to my daughter's chagrin). Hope this helps!
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #786
happymama4874
Earning My Ears
 
happymama4874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas
Posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I have been following that thread. The possibility of fog is making me pretty nervous! We are scheduled to fly out the afternoon we get back into TX. I've looked at airfare and found we could fly out the next morning for an additional $150 or so total for the 4 of us, plus hotel. DH and I can't decide if we should make the switch to the next day or take our chances with the Saturday departure. What's everyone else doing?
We changed our flights due to the possibility of fog. We were originally scheduled for a 2pm departure out of Hobby. We pushed it back to 5:45pm. I figured that the ship would dock by 3pm if it was going to happen that day (fingers crossed) I was told that DCL trip insurance would only kick in after a 24 hour cruise delay for weather.

We were actually on a carnival cruise in 2010 that had a delayed embarkation due to fog. We did not get on the ship until 10:30pm! It was just my husband and I, so we had an adventure just exploring Galveston. I'm hoping we don't have to experience that with my 5 year old and 4 year old!
__________________
happymama4874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #787
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 76

Thanks KPetty, that helps!
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #788
elmo2200
cruisey moms choose DIS!!
 
elmo2200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: DFW,Texas
Posts: 320

I am also a lifelong Texan and totally agree with Kpetty about the weather. I will wear shorts during the afternoon but pants or capris with a jacket mornings & evenings. I saw that lockers at WDW are $7 for all day and you can switch parks -just show your receipt. I may get one for my jacket and such... It looks like we can expect Orlando to be 60 degrees or less after dark so I will definitely prepare because I get cold easy. Evenings at sea will get chilly as well but Magic doesn't have an outdoor movie screen so most people will only be out there for Pirate Night.
*Here is an example of the pictures the photographers take during dinner and at other times of day. I really hope to buy a picture package again.
__________________
Tracey Me DH DD(19) DS(15)
2/28/2008 3 day Wonder, CBR * 2/08/2009 4 day Wonder, CBR * 11/12/2009 3 day Wonder , Nickelodeon Hotel * 02/15/2013 8 day Magic 20th Anniversary/DD Senior Trip * 1/03/2015 7 day Fantasy
elmo2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #789
purplepaula
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFam View Post
Hello

This will be our first cruise and we will be cruising with our 2 daughters 5 & 7.

Friends of ours have done a couple Disney Cruises and talked about the magnet exchange. Is there a magnet exchange set up for this cruise and how do we go about getting signed up?

thanks, more questions to come.
Just catching up on the posts, this is our first cruise also (and very excited) We have a boy 7 and girl 2 (plus 14 and 17 yr old boys)
Where are you from? We live in Edmonton and your name makes me think we are neighbours
purplepaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #790
purplepaula
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luet02 View Post
FloridaFun:

Thanks, got it! Looks good! Yeah, I thought that there was someone else from Canada (calgaryfam)? that was signing up for FEE #4?

Anyone else from Canada coming? (Come on, I know you're out there!)

Natalie
Hi Natalie, so exciting to hear there are other Canadians onboard. We will appreciate the weather so much more. Where are you from and how old are your children?
purplepaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #791
Luet02
Earning My Ears
 
Luet02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepaula View Post
Hi Natalie, so exciting to hear there are other Canadians onboard. We will appreciate the weather so much more. Where are you from and how old are your children?
Hi purplepaula!

Yay more Canadians! We're from Ontario, east of Toronto. We have 3 boys, 8, 4, and almost 20 months. You guys must be spread out in 2 cabins as well.

I will definitely be looking forward to the warmer weather (well warmer than here). It's been getting chilly around here lately, around -10 C / 14F, and I think next week it's dipping down to -15 C / 5F. Although I know that you guys get even colder weather out west!

Natalie
__________________



Me , DH , DS(8) , DS(4) , DS(1)
Luet02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #792
Luet02
Earning My Ears
 
Luet02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Ok, I'm a life-long Texan so here's my two cents: pack for cool-cold mornings and evenings (32-35 degrees) and warm to hot afternoons (60-85 degrees). That is a "normal" Texas winter day. For example, I send my kids to school in jeans and a short-sleeved shirt with a jacket. They ditch the jacket about 10am and my oldest comes home at 3 and puts on shorts. Then they wear flannel pjs to bed. The same will go for the day in Orlando. The weather is generally more mild though so u can probably skip the jacket if you don't want to be stuck carrying it all day. Go out on deck four before you get off the ship. If you can stand there with no jacket, leave it. It'll be warmer in Orlando.

If you're used to northern winters, you'll probably be fine with capris and a light jacket for morning and evening. I'd probably reserve shorts/tanks for the beach though. We southerners tend to be a bit more susceptible to the cooler temps just because we experience them for such a short time every year, if at all, so our family will be packing mostly jeans (much to my daughter's chagrin). Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info.

Sounds a lot like our September weather here, hot like summer in the sun during the day, but cold as soon as the sun disappears.

We'll probably pack windbreakers, and warm pullover hoodies to go underneath. (Leave the big bulky winter jackets in the car at home!) I think layering is the key.

Natalie
__________________



Me , DH , DS(8) , DS(4) , DS(1)

Last edited by Luet02; 01-19-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Luet02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #793
Luet02
Earning My Ears
 
Luet02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 58



I hope that this is true! I love watching movies outside.

Natalie
__________________



Me , DH , DS(8) , DS(4) , DS(1)
Luet02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #794
Tass
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo2200 View Post
Evenings at sea will get chilly as well but Magic doesn't have an outdoor movie screen so most people will only be out there for Pirate Night.
Thanks for the weather tips . . . no outdoor movie screen on the Magic? My DD was really looking forward to watching movies by the pool
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #795
cflmom
Earning My Ears
 
cflmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tass

Thanks for the weather tips . . . no outdoor movie screen on the Magic? My DD was really looking forward to watching movies by the pool
Unless something has changed since our Magic cruises in 2010 and 2011, the Magic has a screen outside for watching movies. It was located by the Goofy pool. Later at night, after supper, we would go up and sit in the warm breeze and watch whatever they would be playing. Sometimes it would be classic movies and sometimes it would be classic cartoons. We loved it! Both our cruises were in December.
__________________
_________________________________________
2010 - Disney World Florida (Magic Kingdom)
2010 - Disney Magic 7-night Western Carribean
2011 - Disney Magic 7-night Eastern Carribean
2011 - Disney World Florida (Hollywood Studios)
2012 - Disney World Florida (Animal Kingdom)
2012 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
2012 - Disney World Florida (Epcot)
2012 - Disney World Florida (MNSSHP)
2014 - Disney World Florida (Magic Kingdom)
2014 - Disney Fantasy 7-night Western Carribean
cflmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: