Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #601
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo2200
Betsy - I'm so jealous!!!
We are in full planning mode!!Last night or rather this morning, I started designing door magnets. I have so many it is hard to decide which ones to print!.
Ok, I need tips on magnets. This will be our first year decorating our door. What kinds of things do y'all put up? Do magnet strips work (the kind you peel and stick) or do I need to buy full magnet sheets?
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #602
the great cornholeo
Hooked!
 
the great cornholeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 194

I buy magnetic business cards from staples. Cheaper. and cut them up to put on the back of my laminated designs.
__________________
-Laura and Tommy

DM DH: : DS 10

Disney Magic 10/3/09
Disney Dream B2B 10/2/11 & 10/6/11
Disney Magic 2/15/13
the great cornholeo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #603
CalgaryFam
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5

Hello

This will be our first cruise and we will be cruising with our 2 daughters 5 & 7.

Friends of ours have done a couple Disney Cruises and talked about the magnet exchange. Is there a magnet exchange set up for this cruise and how do we go about getting signed up?

thanks, more questions to come.
CalgaryFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #604
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFam
Hello

This will be our first cruise and we will be cruising with our 2 daughters 5 & 7.

Friends of ours have done a couple Disney Cruises and talked about the magnet exchange. Is there a magnet exchange set up for this cruise and how do we go about getting signed up?

thanks, more questions to come.
Welcome calgaryFam! My oldest daughter is 6 and there are a few other girls the same ages as ur girls! I'm sure they'll have fun together! :-) there's some general info on the first page of this thread to help you. :-)

As for the exchange, you're probably referring to what we call a "fish extender exchange" (FE or FEE for short). There is a little "fish" outside the door of your cabin and people hang "fish extenders" so other disers can leave little gifts. Then your family leaves gifts for the others in your group. Search Etsy for fish extenders and you will see what they look like. We have four groups going, but the first three are full. If you'd like to join the fourth group, contact Beth (FloridaFun) and she can send you the link for the Google spreadsheet. :-)

As for the magnets, the cabin doors are magnetic and people decorate their doors with pics, Disney characters, etc. I've never done it before so I'm hoping some of those who have will post some ideas!
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #605
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,899

Katie ~ I use the magnet strips and they work just fine. Much cheaper than the full magnet sheets! I do use the magnet sheets only if I'm printing something 8 1/2 X 11, like a birthday sign. The smaller stuff like Mickey heads and whatever, I just use the magnet strips. They have always worked just fine, inside the stateroom for birthday decorations and outside on the door!

Was looking at Touring Plans yesterday... Can I just say again how RIDICULOUS the concept of President's Week is??? Thanks to some parts of the country getting that entire week off, the predicted Crowd Level # is now at 10. I had never even heard of President's DAY being a holiday of any sort until we started going to WDW. Good grief, a 10... we're used to 3's, 4's, maybe 5's. I hope they have the FP+ going by then -- and I hope if they do, we'll be allowed to participate! Since we're considered "on-site" guests as far as EMH goes, I'm hoping that will apply to FP+ as well.

Can't believe we're only 37 days away now... I am SO ready!!! Like way ready, lol. It has been a trying week! DS gave me quite a scare Friday morning... Long story short, my big strapping teen who never gets so much as a cold, literally, went down with viral pharyngitis. It hit him so hard and fast, he passed out twice on me in the kitchen. All nearly-6ft of him just crumbled, and I couldn't hold him up. His eyes were open but I was yelling his name and he was completely unresponsive. I know most of you are parents as well, and can understand when I say I've never been so scared in my whole life!!

The doc at the ER was pretty unconcerned... said his body had probably been fighting it symptom-less for a few days and him passing out was likely due to the sudden fever and gradual dehydration. I told DS I'm giving him a few more days to feel totally better, then I am kicking his BUTT for scaring me like that, lol.

Anyways, yeah, I am ready for this vacation!!!! Deck 4 loungers, here I come!!
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #606
fatfish
DIS Veteran
 
fatfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, baby!
Posts: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
DS gave me quite a scare Friday morning... Long story short, my big strapping teen who never gets so much as a cold, literally, went down with viral pharyngitis. It hit him so hard and fast, he passed out twice on me in the kitchen. All nearly-6ft of him just crumbled, and I couldn't hold him up. His eyes were open but I was yelling his name and he was completely unresponsive. I know most of you are parents as well, and can understand when I say I've never been so scared in my whole life!!

The doc at the ER was pretty unconcerned... said his body had probably been fighting it symptom-less for a few days and him passing out was likely due to the sudden fever and gradual dehydration. I told DS I'm giving him a few more days to feel totally better, then I am kicking his BUTT for scaring me like that, lol.

Anyways, yeah, I am ready for this vacation!!!! Deck 4 loungers, here I come!!
Gina, How is Tyler Dean now? Is he okay? Are you okay? That had to be so scary for both of you!
__________________
fatfish
POP Century 4/2004, offsite at Dad's house (an hour away) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
AS Music 8/2008! Christmas 2008 at Dad's house
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #607
fatfish
DIS Veteran
 
fatfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas, baby!
Posts: 563

Just bought my Rainforest Room day pass! Woo hoo! That was the last thing on my list - now I'm ready to go. Maybe I'll make some new magnets....
__________________
fatfish
POP Century 4/2004, offsite at Dad's house (an hour away) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
AS Music 8/2008! Christmas 2008 at Dad's house
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #608
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina
Katie ~ I use the magnet strips and they work just fine. Much cheaper than the full magnet sheets! I do use the magnet sheets only if I'm printing something 8 1/2 X 11, like a birthday sign. The smaller stuff like Mickey heads and whatever, I just use the magnet strips. They have always worked just fine, inside the stateroom for birthday decorations and outside on the door!

Was looking at Touring Plans yesterday... Can I just say again how RIDICULOUS the concept of President's Week is??? Thanks to some parts of the country getting that entire week off, the predicted Crowd Level # is now at 10. I had never even heard of President's DAY being a holiday of any sort until we started going to WDW. Good grief, a 10... we're used to 3's, 4's, maybe 5's. I hope they have the FP+ going by then -- and I hope if they do, we'll be allowed to participate! Since we're considered "on-site" guests as far as EMH goes, I'm hoping that will apply to FP+ as well.

Can't believe we're only 37 days away now... I am SO ready!!! Like way ready, lol. It has been a trying week! DS gave me quite a scare Friday morning... Long story short, my big strapping teen who never gets so much as a cold, literally, went down with viral pharyngitis. It hit him so hard and fast, he passed out twice on me in the kitchen. All nearly-6ft of him just crumbled, and I couldn't hold him up. His eyes were open but I was yelling his name and he was completely unresponsive. I know most of you are parents as well, and can understand when I say I've never been so scared in my whole life!!

The doc at the ER was pretty unconcerned... said his body had probably been fighting it symptom-less for a few days and him passing out was likely due to the sudden fever and gradual dehydration. I told DS I'm giving him a few more days to feel totally better, then I am kicking his BUTT for scaring me like that, lol.

Anyways, yeah, I am ready for this vacation!!!! Deck 4 loungers, here I come!!
OMG! How scary!!! Hope he is doing better now!! Poor boy and poor Mama!
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #609
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish
Just bought my Rainforest Room day pass! Woo hoo! That was the last thing on my list - now I'm ready to go. Maybe I'll make some new magnets....
Say what?? You can buy that in advance?? How did I not know this? Where can I find that??
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #610
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
Gina, How is Tyler Dean now? Is he okay? Are you okay? That had to be so scary for both of you!

Not for him -- he doesn't remember a dang thing except for waking up on the floor after the 2nd incident, surrounded by all the pots & pans he took down with him. But he is much better now -- thanks for asking! His fever finally left the building yesterday afternoon, and he went back to school & work today. Me, honestly, I have to keep actively distracting my mind, or I keep reliving it in my head. I think it's a Mom thing. Wine helps.




Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
Just bought my Rainforest Room day pass! Woo hoo! That was the last thing on my list - now I'm ready to go. Maybe I'll make some new magnets....

I almost did that... but on principal it really bugged me that they charge you an extra $1 to order it ahead of time. I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not they are letting you buy a daypass on the spot, and they always have let me before, so I guess I'm just going to wait and hope that's still true. Any time the word "Disney" is involved, they tend to not ever have an issue with making it easier to part from your money, so I'm cautiously optimistic.


Hey everyone, I almost forgot -- Does anyone maybe want to do some pin trading at the 2pm DIS Meet??
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #611
Tass
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Was looking at Touring Plans yesterday... Can I just say again how RIDICULOUS the concept of President's Week is??? Thanks to some parts of the country getting that entire week off, the predicted Crowd Level # is now at 10. I had never even heard of President's DAY being a holiday of any sort until we started going to WDW. Good grief, a 10... we're used to 3's, 4's, maybe 5's. I hope they have the FP+ going by then -- and I hope if they do, we'll be allowed to participate! Since we're considered "on-site" guests as far as EMH goes, I'm hoping that will apply to FP+ as well.

Can't believe we're only 37 days away now... I am SO ready!!! Like way ready, lol. It has been a trying week! DS gave me quite a scare Friday morning... Long story short, my big strapping teen who never gets so much as a cold, literally, went down with viral pharyngitis. It hit him so hard and fast, he passed out twice on me in the kitchen. All nearly-6ft of him just crumbled, and I couldn't hold him up. His eyes were open but I was yelling his name and he was completely unresponsive. I know most of you are parents as well, and can understand when I say I've never been so scared in my whole life!!

The doc at the ER was pretty unconcerned... said his body had probably been fighting it symptom-less for a few days and him passing out was likely due to the sudden fever and gradual dehydration. I told DS I'm giving him a few more days to feel totally better, then I am kicking his BUTT for scaring me like that, lol.

Anyways, yeah, I am ready for this vacation!!!! Deck 4 loungers, here I come!!
Wow - that would be scary! Hope he's feeling better soon . . . you too!

As for Presidents' Day - we don't have spring break around here, so the 2 days we are off for Presidents' Day is our next best option. That's why we're cruising that week. I'm expecting large crowds at WDW and have tried to get my family to adjust their expectations for that day. We're planning to hit the must-do's and anything else will be a pleasant surprise.
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #612
Tass
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFam View Post
Hello

This will be our first cruise and we will be cruising with our 2 daughters 5 & 7.

Friends of ours have done a couple Disney Cruises and talked about the magnet exchange. Is there a magnet exchange set up for this cruise and how do we go about getting signed up?

thanks, more questions to come.
Welcome aboard! I've never done the FEE or the door decorating, so I will let the other more experienced cruisers help you with that. Just wanted to say "hi".
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #613
FSU88
Mouseketeer
 
FSU88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Posts: 93

My refrigerator is subbing for a cabin door until cruise time. Here are the magnets I made. I have 3 sets of 'ears' to put on our round door number during the cruise. I printed these on full magnetic sheets.
These were pulled from this thread
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2172891

I then looked through this massive thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....t=door+magnets
Tons of ideas, and the OP, milliepie, has links in her signature taking you to her file site, where I got most of the images

I dropped the image into a Word document and added in word art to customize. I filled in full 8-1/2 x 11 magnetic sheets then cut out from there after printing. I should have tagged all the designs with the cabin# to dissuade any passer bys from helping themselves. I will probably write something on the back of the ears in silver sharpie.

I bought 2 packs of 5 magnetic sheets, and that was plenty for me. I ended up wasting one as it jammed in my printer and generally mucked the whole sheet up. The ink appears to be smudge free and they came out better than I thought.

The smaller name tags are on magnetic business cards, and I made one for each person in my FEE group as one of their gifts.

Cheers,
Jeff

__________________
FSU88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #614
KPetty725
DIS Veteran
 
KPetty725's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 522

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU88
My refrigerator is subbing for a cabin door until cruise time. Here are the magnets I made. I have 3 sets of 'ears' to put on our round door number during the cruise. I printed these on full magnetic sheets.
These were pulled from this thread
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2172891

I then looked through this massive thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....t=door+magnets
Tons of ideas, and the OP, milliepie, has links in her signature taking you to her file site, where I got most of the images

I dropped the image into a Word document and added in word art to customize. I filled in full 8-1/2 x 11 magnetic sheets then cut out from there after printing. I should have tagged all the designs with the cabin# to dissuade any passer bys from helping themselves. I will probably write something on the back of the ears in silver sharpie.

I bought 2 packs of 5 magnetic sheets, and that was plenty for me. I ended up wasting one as it jammed in my printer and generally mucked the whole sheet up. The ink appears to be smudge free and they came out better than I thought.

The smaller name tags are on magnetic business cards, and I made one for each person in my FEE group as one of their gifts.

Cheers,
Jeff
Jeff - you are amazing! I was just thinking of asking if anyone had door pics. Fridge pics work just as we'll! LOL!

Your comment of people "helping themselves" reminded me of another question I had. I've read in some of the FEE posts that people sometimes use zip ties on their FE to keep them from "walking away". Do any of you do that? Trying to decide if its worth it to bring zip ties AND scissors to cut it off at the end of the cruise!
__________________
- Katie



KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #615
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Your comment of people "helping themselves" reminded me of another question I had. I've read in some of the FEE posts that people sometimes use zip ties on their FE to keep them from "walking away". Do any of you do that? Trying to decide if its worth it to bring zip ties AND scissors to cut it off at the end of the cruise!

That's a good question, I've never thought about that. But honestly, I think some lowlife who would take anything in the first place would be far more interested in the gifts *in* the FE than the FE itself. I don't think I'm going to worry about it.

Can't wait to get home and see the pics you guys are posting!! I need more door ideas!
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: