Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #376
Dishy24
Mouseketeer

Airfare

has anybody purchased their airline tickets for February yet? I haven't even begun to look... Where are you flying in to?
Feb 2005 Magic Eastern (cat 6), May 2006 Magic Western (cat 5),
May 2007 Magic Eastern (cat 4), Feb 2008 Magic Western (cat 5),
Apr 2010 14-Night Transatlantic Cruise(cat 5)
Feb 2011 Mexican Riviera- Wonder (cat 5)
June 2011 & July 2011 Disney Dream "BACK-2-BACK" cruises! (cat 4A)
April 2012 Disney Fantasy (cat 4B)
August 2012 8-Night to FL from NYC- Magic (cat 5A)
February 2013 -8 Nights from Galveston on the Magic (cat 5A)
April 2013 Western- Fantasy (cat 4B)
April 2014 Western- Fantasy(cat 4A)
April 2015 Western- Fantasy (cat 4A)
August 2015 ALASKA- Wonder(cat 5A)
LET'SGOMETS!!!
Dishy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #377
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Welcome to all the newcomers!! Glad you decided to jump on in! As Beth said, this is a great group of people... I can't wait to meet everyone in person!!

Alright, it seems like the earlier Meet time would work best for most folks... I know I would like to try and make the spa raffle this time too! So let's go with 2pm in the Promenade Lounge (deck 3, aft) for the main DIS meet. The Promenade Lounge is definitely family-friendly during the day, in case any of you are actually able to drag your kids out of the kids' clubs. Good luck with that, lol. For reference, the spa raffle is at 3:15, safety drill is at 3:45, sailaway is at 4:30.

Then we could do a 2nd meet for those who couldn't get onboard/settled early enough for the first one, or who would just like to meet up again. We could meet up around Signals, deck 9 midship, right in front of the adult pool. It's also next to Cove Cafe, so people could go grab a cup of coffee and a mid-morning treat if they wanted to. Say around 10:45 or 11am? Would there be any interest in that?

And like I said, once the 8-night Navigators start becoming available next month, I'm going to add some activity-based mini-meets.

Hey Katie, do you think you could maybe add the links and important dates/times to the first page so they're easy to find? I think that would help a lot of people, since the thread has gotten so wonderfully busy and long! (A good problem to have! )

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #378
dismom73
It's an illness, I know!
Shares a special day with Disneyland!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin08 View Post
I'm so excited!
I just booked my first ever cruise! This is also my first post at Disboards!
i am a mom of four 20DS, 9DD, 3DD and infant DD.
This will be my second disney trip. I had to book this trip when I saw the one day in WDW. I thought I'd never get there. We did Disneyland in 2008 and I have always wanted to go back, but reluctant since baby is so little. I think the cruise is the best considering the difference in ages of my children, something for everyone to do at their own level.

I haven't read through this thread yet, but will soon. I hope to meet with some of you and participate in some of the activities you all have planned. I hope we are welcome.
Welcome! MY oldest DD will be so happy to hear there is someone in her age group, she will turn 19 3 weeks after we sail and she was starting to worry there wouldn't be anyone else her age. I kept telling her, "just because there's no one in your age group on the meet thread, doesn't mean there wont be any on the ship".

Tricia...I know a few people have already gotten airfare, there are 2 choices of airports to fly into, Hobby(HOU)or Intercontinental, also known as Bush(IAH). Both are in Houston, but Hobby is closer to Galveston and transportation might be easier/less expensive. Depending on what airline you are flying Hobby might be a little better, if it's an option. Unfortunately, it's not an option for us, we are flying into Bush and transportation is proving to be very challenging.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #379
FSU88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishy24 View Post
has anybody purchased their airline tickets for February yet? I haven't even begun to look... Where are you flying in to?
As much as I'd like to fly in the day before, we just could not swing it logistically. We usually fly from Detroit, but airfare out of Detroit on the 15th was up near 500.00 per person. I also checked Cleveland and Columbus, and found a decent fare from American Airlines that left Columbus early Friday and gets to IAH at 11:00am. I could not find anything inexpensive that flies into Hobby. The AA fare was 250.00 per person , before taxes. I selected the Disney RT ground transfers after looking at other ways to go, but in the end the Disney option was a bit less and also less of a hassle to book.
As long as no major weather catasrophies hit the midwest that day, we should be OK. At least I keep telling myself that.
Jeff
Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #380
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU88 View Post
As much as I'd like to fly in the day before, we just could not swing it logistically. We usually fly from Detroit, but airfare out of Detroit on the 15th was up near 500.00 per person. I also checked Cleveland and Columbus, and found a decent fare from American Airlines that left Columbus early Friday and gets to IAH at 11:00am. I could not find anything inexpensive that flies into Hobby. The AA fare was 250.00 per person , before taxes. I selected the Disney RT ground transfers after looking at other ways to go, but in the end the Disney option was a bit less and also less of a hassle to book.
As long as no major weather catasrophies hit the midwest that day, we should be OK. At least I keep telling myself that.
Jeff

As long as you have travel insurance, I wouldn't sweat it too much, and odds are you'll be fine. You won't get on the ship until probably 1:30-2 at the earliest, but it's not like you're going to miss the ship or anything. You should be fine!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #381
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer

Smile

It doesn't seem to be widely known out there, but if you are flying in the night before you can call DLC and they will book you a stay at the Galvez hotel in Galveston and then transport you to the hotel the night before the cruise for the regular transfer price (I think it's $30 per person?). The next morning they will pick you up from the hotel and when you give them your bags that morning to load on the bus that will be the last you see them before they arrive in your stateroom, and this portion of the transfer is free. I think they have a similar deal with the hotel that is right in the Houston Intercontinental airport.

For us (family of 5) we found it cheaper to book the Galvez directly with the hotel and find our own transportation to the hotel the day before, but we called DLC and they still booked us free transfers from that hotel to the ship for the next morning. (The reason it was more expensive to book through DLC for us was because their system said the max. occupancy was 4 people, so we would need to book 2 rooms, but the hotel itself let us book all in one room.)
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #382
Tass
Mouseketeer

We booked our airfare last month when we booked the cruise. We found a great rate through Southwest - flying Philadelphia to Hobby in Houston. We decided to make it easy on ourselves and let Disney do the driving. Disney will pick us up at the airport and drive us to the Hotel Galvez on the 14th, drive us to the port on the 15th, and then back to the airport on the 23rd. We priced it out ourselves and it really wasn't much more to let Disney take care of everything.
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #383
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

Welcome to all the newcomers! This thread is really hopping!

We're driving from MI. Yikes! The airfare is just crazy expensive and we have 5 people. Out of Grand Rapids was insane so then we'd have to drive to Chicago where the cheapest is $300 RT, pay for parking etc still. It's just going to be cheaper to drive, even though it won't be a lot of fun to drive that far.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #384
dgmommie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo71 View Post
I'm pretty sure my 11 YO DD will love chatting-after she finds out in 2 weeks!
Elyssa definitely wants to email Julia and your daughter too. She wants to know if they will be going to the Oceaneer's Lab or Edge? She can't go to Edge since she's 10, and they can go to either. She's hoping that they will go to Oceaneer's Lab so they can hang out onboard if they become pen pal friends in email. (This banana dancing was her decision LOL)
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #385
Tass
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmommie View Post
Elyssa definitely wants to email Julia and your daughter too. She wants to know if they will be going to the Oceaneer's Lab or Edge? She can't go to Edge since she's 10, and they can go to either. She's hoping that they will go to Oceaneer's Lab so they can hang out onboard if they become pen pal friends in email. (This banana dancing was her decision LOL)
Julia was planning to go to the Edge this time. We cruised on the Dream in 2011 and she didn't enjoy the Lab very much - too many little kids running around screaming was her description. I think she spent maybe 2 hours there during the entire 4-day cruise. Do you know if she's able to go to both, or must she make a decision and stick with it for the entire cruise? I told her even if she and Elyssa aren't in the same kids area, they can still chat in advance and plan activities together on the cruise.
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #386
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
I've got an 10 year old girl (who of course is also limited to the Oceaneer's Lab) who feels the sole purpose of going on any cruise is to meet a new cruise BFF to hang out in the kids club with and to email with after the cruise, so I will talk to her and if she says yes I will PM you with her email address.
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #387
thopkin1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725
thopkin1 - Welcome to you as well! Another little girl! My youngest DD will be 3 the month before we sail but maybe yours will still want to play with her. I know that transition from toddler to pre-schooler is a big one.
Good to hear! My DD who is 4, plays shy but usually warms up pretty quickly. But I'm sure she will get to hang out with your DD in the kids club. Can't wait for February
thopkin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #388
thopkin1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFun
Julie – I sent you a PM with the link to the FEE doc.

Welcome thopkin1! Great to have you on the cruise.
Thanks for the welcome FloridaFun!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #389
thopkin1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishy24
We booked Southwest out of Cleveland to Hobby on the 14
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #390
FSU88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I haven't done one before. Can you tell me what is involved ahead of time to do this?
This is our first one too and forgive me if I'm overexplaining, but I'm going to assume you were like me and had never heard of a FEE before a few weeks ago. It's a simple gift exchange done one or more times during the cruise. You exchange small gifts, either hand made or store bought, with the other cabins on your FEE list. Some may choose to only do this once for each cabin or each person in the cabin and others may give items on multiple days, it's up to you and what you are comfortable with. Outside each cabin is a small fish shaped knob, and the people in the FEE group hang a 'fish entender' from it, and that usually contains one or more pockets to put items in. You can make something yourself, or as in my case, since I have no artistic aptitude at all, I bought one off ETSY. Do a search for "etsy fish extender" and you will see what I mean. During the cruise, you visit the other cabins on the list and put your gifts in their "Fish Extender", in a hit and run fashion. I think I'm looking forward to this more than my son. Hopefully you join in, I'd like a few more in the 3rd group.

Quote:
Also, I see there is a Facebook group. Can I join that? I spent more time on FB than here since I can get that from my phone easily. I need the group name. I will someday hopefully have time to go back through the 21 pages of posts I haven't read yet. :-)

Thanks!
Yes - FB group is http://www.facebook.com/groups/202895766512925/
Hopefully that works

Jeff

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: