Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #826
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

I just thought I'd get all those waiver waiters hopes up....

JK. I don't have my wavier, but I do have a head cold! I really am starting to feel like the racing gods have it out for me and I'm not meant to run this race.... Haven't run anything since sunday and that was only 3 1/2 miles.... Still hoping to get back on track this weekend. Drinking tons of vitamin C etc, and sleeping as much as humanely possible.

For those of you who have been wishing me well, I finally got a few more answers regarding my head/back/neck. Seeing a neck/spine doc next Tuesday and PT on Wednesday. Hopefully both of them will say "ok to run!" Fingers crossed. If not, I've been eyeing up some of the F&W festival events that I had ruled out previously as back-up plan. I did some exercises recommended to me by my athletic trainer Brother in law and they helped a lot so far.

Maybe all of my issues will clear up by next weekend and I will have three weeks to ramp back up enough to finish even if I'm the last one to cross the line!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #827
ashysmashy
Mouseketeer

Well, I am about to have a total freak out. My left achilles tendon has been feeling tight. Just enough to notice. I chose to rest instead of run today.
I'm worried that going from 3 mi on Tues. to a 12 this weekend is too much stress on the tendon. Advice?
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #828
wood8176
Mouseketeer

Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashysmashy View Post
Well, I am about to have a total freak out. My left achilles tendon has been feeling tight. Just enough to notice. I chose to rest instead of run today.
I'm worried that going from 3 mi on Tues. to a 12 this weekend is too much stress on the tendon. Advice?
While you are resting do a lot of stretching. Particularly your hamstrings. I had Achilles tendonitis about two months before the WDW Marathon. went to physical therapy. During the evaluation, the therapist commented on how limited my range of motion was due to not stretching my hamstring very well. I think people tend to think Achilles and calves, but not always consider hamstrings, but they all work together.

End result, after a lot of stretching and rest, I was able to run.

wood8176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #829
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

ashysmashy--I had achilles tendinitis last year (along with other tendon issues in the same foot) and one of the things that helped a lot was when the physical therapist sat opposite of me and gently pulled my heel towards her. She said Mike could do it at home. The goal is to pull the heel while not overly squeezing it. Good luck!

Last edited by Rose&Mike; 10-12-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Rose&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #830
ashysmashy
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for the feedback. I will work on the stretches. I did some after Tuesday's run and then my achilles was tight for the past two days. I'm not in pain, but it's just enough discomfort for me to notice something is going on. Should I go ahead and see a Dr.? Should I do go ahead with all 12 miles this weekend? I've never had an injury in any shape, form, or fashion and was very athletic in my younger days, but at 41, I guess this is part of getting older and taking on a big task of my body.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #831
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashysmashy View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback. I will work on the stretches. I did some after Tuesday's run and then my achilles was tight for the past two days. I'm not in pain, but it's just enough discomfort for me to notice something is going on. Should I go ahead and see a Dr.? Should I do go ahead with all 12 miles this weekend? I've never had an injury in any shape, form, or fashion and was very athletic in my younger days, but at 41, I guess this is part of getting older and taking on a big task of my body.
I'll probably get yelled at for this - but when I asked my husband what he thought about me seeing a Dr for my shin splints he asked - what do you think they'll tell you - not to run - do you want to quit running etc, etc. Basically, he made a good point - I want to do this race, I know what a Dr. will probably recommend (as that's their job) and I know how to adjust to get through it. I suggest streching (before and after) and this may sound crazy, but epsom salt baths really helped me. A co-worker who's a semi-pro runner suggested it and it really worked. I also had to realize that these long distances are hard on your body, that's why I only go to 11, and that's only once during my training. You just have to trust your body and your training. I know some plans go further, but I've completed my other halves with it and been fine - you'll be surprised how the adreneline and determination sets in. Ok, off my soap box now I just want the next few weeks to get here - hate these long runs without a reward
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #832
What would Walt do
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchisholm View Post
I'll probably get yelled at for this - but when I asked my husband what he thought about me seeing a Dr for my shin splints he asked - what do you think they'll tell you - not to run - do you want to quit running etc, etc. Basically, he made a good point - I want to do this race, I know what a Dr. will probably recommend (as that's their job) and I know how to adjust to get through it. I suggest streching (before and after) and this may sound crazy, but epsom salt baths really helped me. A co-worker who's a semi-pro runner suggested it and it really worked. I also had to realize that these long distances are hard on your body, that's why I only go to 11, and that's only once during my training. You just have to trust your body and your training. I know some plans go further, but I've completed my other halves with it and been fine - you'll be surprised how the adreneline and determination sets in. Ok, off my soap box now I just want the next few weeks to get here - hate these long runs without a reward
No yelling but - I had the same fear back in July when I was having achilles & shin problems. I didn't want to go to the Doc because I was sure she'd say to take time off. I was pleasantly surprised - she gave me referrals for xrays to rule out stress fractures, to a sports Physio (who correctly diagnosed & treated the problem) & massage therapy to relieve the pain and speed the healing. If you don't like the doc's recommendations, you can always ignore them. If you feel they're helpful, you may end up running a lot happier. At least its worth a shot.

As to rewarding yourself for running - the last few weeks, I've been buying myself a "running present" for each long run completed. They're things I probably would've bought anyway (runners world & compression socks so far. SPI belt this weekend maybe) but I don't let myself buy them until I get that long run done. The best reward this weekend would be for the waivers to show up!!
What would Walt do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #833
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

First of all, my sympathies to anyone who has shin splints. They are the WORST. I’ve had a ton of running injuries, and nothing is half as painful as a shin splint.
But yeah, if you have a shin splint, you need to go for an MRI and make sure it’s not a stress fracture. Running on a stress fracture is extremely dangerous, and racing on a stress fracture could possibly end your running career permanently.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #834
wood8176
Mouseketeer

I agree with KMC

I agree. In all likelihood the Dr. will generally tell you to rest and may prescribe an anti-inflammatory such as Naproxen (prescription strength Alleve). I would rest a couple days, stretch and test it out myself. I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much. If it is going to get worse it won't be the 12th mile when you find out. You'll know sooner than that.

wood8176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #835
SeattleGirl
Baby Lawyer

I've been having stinging pains in my calves (for the Disney half I hurt my back, so I guess it's always something!). Decided to alternate long runs with shorter runs on the weekends until the race.

Sadly, one of my little toenails has fallen casualty to running as well (prob an issue that started long before I got new, larger, shoes, but I didn't notice).

I really feel like all sorts of unglamourous things start happening once you hit that ten mile mark! I'm looking forward to some "short" 10Ks after this race.

SeattleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #836
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleGirl
I've been having stinging pains in my calves (for the Disney half I hurt my back, so I guess it's always something!). Decided to alternate long runs with shorter runs on the weekends until the race.

Sadly, one of my little toenails has fallen casualty to running as well (prob an issue that started long before I got new, larger, shoes, but I didn't notice).

I really feel like all sorts of unglamourous things start happening once you hit that ten mile mark! I'm looking forward to some "short" 10Ks after this race.
As I joke with my wife, it's just a laundry list of aches and pains. On one hand she is amazed when finish a double digit mile run, but then shakes head as I hobble around groaning about soreness.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #837
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Unglamorous for sure! I had no idea how awful one could feel after running long distances until I did my 9.5 and 11 milers. (sadly that's as far as I've gotten as of right now). My toes apparently hate my shoes bc two of my nails (one on each foot) are blue or fallen off. Not the first time, happened last fall to me too. I know I need bigger shoes and I tried some but them my foot didn't hit the sole right and my calf started to hurt and no way was I going back to that problem so the toes will have to suffer.

I know what you mean about not wanting to ask a doc. I chickened out asking last week when I was there but this week I'll have no choice. Meanwhile I might try to run to tonight and Sunday before I see him!

Ashsmashy- try rolling your ankles with a small foam ball (I used one from wdw actually!) I had the Achilles pain a few weeks ago after my 9.5 mile run on a really bad surface and gave my ankles quite a beating. Walking down steps was the worst. I recommend NOT wearing heels for a few days an icing. Mine disappeared after 3 days. Maybe yours will too. Good luck!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #838
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
Unglamorous for sure! I had no idea how awful one could feel after running long distances until I did my 9.5 and 11 milers. (sadly that's as far as I've gotten as of right now). My toes apparently hate my shoes bc two of my nails (one on each foot) are blue or fallen off. Not the first time, happened last fall to me too. I know I need bigger shoes and I tried some but them my foot didn't hit the sole right and my calf started to hurt and no way was I going back to that problem so the toes will have to suffer.

I know what you mean about not wanting to ask a doc. I chickened out asking last week when I was there but this week I'll have no choice. Meanwhile I might try to run to tonight and Sunday before I see him!

Ashsmashy- try rolling your ankles with a small foam ball (I used one from wdw actually!) I had the Achilles pain a few weeks ago after my 9.5 mile run on a really bad surface and gave my ankles quite a beating. Walking down steps was the worst. I recommend NOT wearing heels for a few days an icing. Mine disappeared after 3 days. Maybe yours will too. Good luck!
YES - I second everything in your post - tennis balls, rolling sticks and no heels are a must (which I hate as shoes are a huge part of my wardrobe). Worst for me is that my ankles have starting cracking even more than usual, very disturbing and know that I will be cutting back my running once it's over. However, I found that all my problems tend to come out when I'm over 8 miles, so taking a deep breath, some Ibuprofen and thinking happy thoughts in 4+ weeks! Keep running/walking/smiling!
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #839
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

With less than a month to go, no waivers and no Magical Express tickets.....please come soon! I do not know if I can wait much longer....anyone else feel the same way? Maybe we need some pixie dust from Tink....
Qltrgrl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #840
ashysmashy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it! I'm going to finish my first 1/2 marathon no matter what! Did epsom salt bath today. Thanks for the reminder! I did them in the beginning of training, but got away from them. Putting them back in the routine now. Going to try some of the other tips too. Thanks so much! You guys are the best!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: