Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Official 2012 Wine and Dine ½ Marathon Thread

2012 Wine and Dine ½ Marathon, Family 5K Fun Run & Kids' Races

Registration to begin on Monday, March 13th
Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon:
$155 by May 22, 2012
$160 between May 23 and July 17, 2012
$185 on or after July 18, 2012

Disney Family Fun Run 5K:
$50 per participant
$55 per Stroller division participant

runDisney Kids' Races:
$10 per Kids' Dash participant
$25 per 1-Mile Run participant

When: November 9 & 10, 2012
Expo - Friday Nov. 9th (10am-7pm) & Saturday Nov. 10th (9am-4pm)
Pasta in the Park Party - (Friday night, if applicable)
5K - Saturday, November 10th, 7am @ Disney's Animal Kingdom
Kids' Races - Saturday, November 10th, 10am @ ESPN Wide World of Sports
½ Marathon- Saturday, November 10th, 10pm @ ESPN Wide World of Sports
After Party- Saturday, November 10th, 10:30pm-3am @ Epcot

Where: Walt Disney World Resort
Expo - ESPN Wide World of Sports
5K - Disney's Animal Kingdom
Kids' Races - ESPN Wide World of Sports
½ Marathon - Starts at ESPN WWoS, to and through Disney's Animal Kingdom, to and through Disney's Hollywood Studios, past the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach resorts, to/through Epcot to the finish line.

Where to Stay: Walt Disney World Resort Host Hotels
Value Category:
•All Star Movies
•All Star Music
•All Star Sports
Moderate Category:
•Caribbean Beach Resort
Deluxe Category:
•Animal Kingdom Lodge
•Beach Club Resort
•BoardWalk Resort
DVC/Villa Category:
•Saratoga Springs Resort

W.I.S.H. Meet
8:30pm near inside information booth pre-race staging area

Download Your Waiver from the runDisney site

Last edited by jeanigor; 11-06-2012 at 06:08 AM.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Thought there should be an official thread since there has been chatter on a couple other threads about this race.

Post your questions, comments, training tips, etc.

Anyone else getting a little amped about the Runners' Night Out?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
dara00
DIS Veteran

i'm in!
thanks for starting the thread!

First Disney Trip 4/1992 ~ 7th Grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 4/1994 ~ 9th grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 3/1998 ~ College Spring Break with then bf now dh ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 8/2006 with dh and 17 mos dd ~ DLR / 3/2007 with dh and 23 mos dd ~ AK / 12/2007 with dh, 2.5 yr dd and 6 mos ds ~ MK & Epcot / 5/2009 with dh, 4 yr dd, and 2 yr ds ~ DLR & CA /1/2012 with dh, 6 yr dd, 4 yr ds, and 17 mos ds ~ MK & DHS / 11/2012 for my birthday and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon with dh ~ Marathon & Epcot / 6/2013 with dh, 8 yr old dd, 6 yr old ds, 2.5 yr old ds ~ all!

dara00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Thanks! I've been waiting for an official thread! This will be my 2nd 1/2 (unless I decide to run another one before Nov). I ran the Tinkerbell in Jan and will be looking to earn my C2C! We are actually heading out on a cruise on Sunday, so we already had tickets into FL for Sat, now we shifted everything a day, and I'll get to earn so extra bling! . My DH plans to run the 5k and my 2 DDs will run the kids race. What a great family experience to kick off our cruise!
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Here's a couple of questions for those who have run a WDW race before...
1) do the host hotels remain the same for each race, each year? So, the hotels that were hosts for the 2011 W&D, will they be the host hotels again?
2) do you book on your own (not DVC owners) thru WDW or another travel site, or do you book thru runDisney's travel booking partner (GET)?
Thanks!
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
EddieMccoy2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialks View Post
1) do the host hotels remain the same for each race, each year? So, the hotels that were hosts for the 2011 W&D, will they be the host hotels again?
2) do you book on your own (not DVC owners) thru WDW or another travel site, or do you book thru runDisney's travel booking partner (GET)?
Thanks!
1- They seem to usually stay the same.

2- I have an Annual pass, but I always check rates everywhere, whether it be an AP rate through Disney or other deals going on. I find it best to use a fee free agent such as Dreams. They will find you the best deal for your needs and will check all avenues.

I'm in for the Wine & Dine. It was my first ever race last year and I've been hooked ever since. Great experience and love love love the after party.
Half Fanatic #2035

Keep on Running! Every mile is magical...just some maybe more magical than others!
EddieMccoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialks View Post
Thanks!
I can't comment on your first question, because I can't remember and there have only been two previous occurrences for this race, statistically, it would be an unsound answer.

However, the second one I can answer! I have my Travel Agent book my room (if not staying DVC) for race weekends. She knows why I am going and works out the best deal for me. I do rent a car, so I don't always stay at a host resort, though. I did use GET Travel once, for the Tinkerbell, because I didn't register soon enough. They were easy to deal with and very professional, no complaints. I didn't have the relationship with GET that I do with my TA, so it did seem a little more rigid and less personal, but that was to be expected in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Suited Deuces
Earning My Ears

I'm in! Can't wait to register.

I emailed asking about host resorts...no reply yet (they are most likely busy with the Princess race)

I am hoping to get my coast to coast!

Thought I saw registration opens March 13.....

Last edited by Suited Deuces; 02-14-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added reg date
Suited Deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

So in as long as its really the night of the 10th! Second half of my C2C and I can't wait! <3
2013 Inaugural Dumbo Double Dare!
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
becky11
Mouseketeer

I'm down for this race. I will literally be running into my 41st birthday. Also, I'm going to try and go perfectly W&D for as long as they have it - or until my legs fall off.

Oh, as far as resorts, I stayed at the Dolphin last year and it worked out quite well for me: gov't rate AND close enough to walk to BW to get the busses for start. After the race, we just walked back to our resort, not having to fight for busses and it was a good 'stretch' for after the run.

Retired USAF 11/1/12 after 21 years!

Apparently, I'm a runner. Who knew?
------------------------------------
Race for the Taste 10K (WDW) 11 Oct 09 -- Tower of Terror 13K (WDW) 24 Oct 09 -- Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 2 Oct 10 -- 2nd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 1 Oct 11 -- Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon (DL) 29 Jan 12 -- Royal Family 5K (WDW) 25 Feb 12 -- 4th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 26 Feb 12 - CtC! -- 5th Annual Expedition Everest Challenge (WDW) 5 May 12 - DH's first race! -- US Air Force Marathon (Dayton, OH) 15 Sep 12 - first full marathon! -- Inaugural Tower of Terror 10-miler (WDW) 29 Sep 12 -- 3rd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 10 Nov 12 -- 5th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 24 Feb 13
becky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
AussiePossum
Disneyland 2009 & Disney Paris 2012

Hi Jeanigor

Thank you so much for posting comments and photos for us (in the other thread). It's always nice to hear about other peoples experiences. Also, are the medals in your ticker yours? If so, congrats on the collection.

So my goal for the race is to finish, not get swept and take at least some photos and as long as I keep the training up, I shouldn't have a problem.

To... EddieMccoy2..... Can you tell me a little bit more about the after party. I have never been to a race and would love to know more..
Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
jeanigor

Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky11 View Post
I'm down for this race. I will literally be running into my 41st birthday. Also, I'm going to try and go perfectly W&D for as long as they have it - or until my legs fall off.

Oh, as far as resorts, I stayed at the Dolphin last year and it worked out quite well for me: gov't rate AND close enough to walk to BW to get the busses for start. After the race, we just walked back to our resort, not having to fight for busses and it was a good 'stretch' for after the run.
I'd like to be a legacy participant for W&D as well. And happy birthday to another Scorpio. (We do rock....)

Had the pleasure of the Beach Club last year as my resort. While I adored the proximity to Epcot and Food and Wine (and most importantly the finish line) I wasn't super impressed. I'm going to wait and see which resorts are going to be host resorts and then decide. Most likely wherever it is, will be DVC.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
lorasmom
DIS Veteran

I'm in - been planning this one since last 2011's race. Cannot wait.
DD#1, 12
DD#2, 10
Leukemia-fighting DD#3, 5
Gabby's MAW PTR!

Mom. Runner. Disney lover. Cancer hater.
lorasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
suzysharp
Mouseketeer

Thanks for starting this thread!! I can't wait, this will be my second 1/2 as I did the Tinkerbell and am going for my C2C. Super excited!!! We will stay at Boardwalk Villas as we're DVC and already have it booked... I just wish November didn't seem sooooooo far away!!

91 - Disney Inn, 96 - Yacht Club, 98 - Boardwalk, 00(twice) - Wilderness Lodge, 04 - Wilderness Lodge, 05 - Saratoga Springs, 06 - Boardwalk Villas, Apr 08 - Animal Kingdom Villas, Nov 09 - Saratoga Springs, May 10 - Boardwalk Villas, Nov 10 - Boardwalk Villas, May 11 - Sequoia Lodge (DLP), Dec/Jan 11 - Boardwalk Villas, Jan 12 - Disneyland Hotel, Nov 12 - Boardwalk Villas, Feb 13 -Disney Wonder & Vero Beach, May/June 13 - ABD Barcelona & Disney Magic, Nov/Dec 13 - Saratoga Springs

2012 3 Caballeros' 5k - 1st race, 2012 Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Wine and Dine, 2012 C2C Competed!!!
suzysharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Are you able to walk to Epcot from CBR? Or is it too far/no path? Right now I am booked for the week before our cruise at PoRFQ but that may change between now and then... I would loooove to stay at the Swan/Dolphin but they don't offer ME, and I can't justify the expense on top of the higher cost there... although it WOULD be nice to be able to go to the airport when I want to on a shuttle... hmm....

For those that HAVE used GET before, is it much of a deal at all? Or is it pretty much rack rate and nothing compared to a room only or package discount if one is released between now and then? Its only a $40 difference for me to upgrade my Disneyland AP to premier vs. paying rack rate OOP for a Park Hopper... I have my work cut out for me!
2013 Inaugural Dumbo Double Dare!
AquaDame is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: