Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Leger13
DIS Veteran

How Not To Do Disney With A One Year Old - Update 4/17

Hello there friends. This TR may not be one that you've come accustomed to here on the DIS with smiling faces and happy and good times all around. This was the worst trip I've ever had to WDW but I still want to do a TR because this was my DS's first visit to the World and we did have some good times mixed in with the horrifying. So if you decide to join aboard, welcome and thank you. I will try to tell the story as I remember it and not include too many gory details.

Now that I've probably scared everyone off, let me say that this trip we have dreamed of for the last 6 years. It took us 5 years of infertility and treatments to finally get pregnant with our DS and each time we failed to get pregnant we took a trip to WDW as a consolation prize and dreamed of how wonderful it would be to go on a WDW trip as a family. Our DS turned a year old in December so we decided to take him in Feb of this year to celebrate his birthday and being a family. Little did we know how it would all turn out

The Cast

The star of the show is my 14 month old son, Alex. He loves all things Mickey Mouse

Then there's me, the narrator of this train wreck, Carla. I'm a 30 year old first time mommy and my favorite character is Stitch. I love to quilt and sew and have a deep love and passion for all things Disney.
And DH is Chris. He's a 31 year old first time Daddy and I have to say his favorite character is Prince John from Robin Hood. He also loves all things Disney but I'm not sure how much after this trip.

The dates for this trip were February 2nd - 11th but we wound up coming home early so this will be a pretty short TR. I'll get going more with it later. I hope to have my photopass pictures soon too.

Last edited by Leger13; 04-17-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
cherbear
DIS Veteran

I'm here for the ride! No matter how bumpy it is

WDW in July with a baby?? Am I crazy?!

1983-98--Multiple visits,'01-ASMu,'03-CSR,'06-ASMu; AS Sports,'07; Sept 08 & 09 @ Pop Century. Next visit....???
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Leger13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear View Post
I'm here for the ride! No matter how bumpy it is
aww thanks girl!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
cbcrockett
Mouseketeer

I'm in too. It still just breaks my heart that it wasn't the trip you dreamed of

"Hey Look, It's a Goat!" Baby's First Trip to WDW/Little Sister's Grad Trip! - A June 2012 TR
Planning Baby's First Trip to WDW - A Pre-Trip Report

1996 - Caribbean Beach Resort 2000 - Grand Floridian April 2009 - Fort Wilderness (first trip to WDW together!) October 2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (with my mom, stepdad & lil' sis) June 2012 - Offsite First WDW trip for baby Hannah!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Leger13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcrockett View Post
I'm in too. It still just breaks my heart that it wasn't the trip you dreamed of
Hi and thanks for coming over!
Aww well thanks. We did have some good times as you will see in the short time we were there. I'm sure we'll be back to make amends with the World in a few years.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I'm curious to hear what happened. We took my son at 14 months (and 10 months). Eating in restaurants was a definite challenge that's for sure.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Goldeelox9
Our Disney Cruise Line Wedding ~ November 4, 2008

What a Cliff hanger!!! I am so sorry it wasnt all you hoped it would be!
*-:¦:-Lisa -:¦:-*Click to read about my wedding :Our Disney Cruise Wedding, Don't miss my B2B on the Dream Trip Report. My newest trip report is Disneyland - DCL, Hawaii, Aulani & Disneyland Still a work in progress!

February 1982 - Off Site; June 1995 - Offsite; February 1998 - AllStar Music; February 2000 - Disney Magic; January 2002 - Carribean Beach Resort & Disney Wonder; January 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Wonder; January 2006 - Pop Century; February 2007 - Pop Century; November 2008 - Disney Wonder Wedding & Animal Kingdom Lodge; November 2009 - All Star Movies, Treehouse Villas & Disney Wonder; December 2009 - All Star Music ; January 2011 - POFQ, BLT & Disney Magic Cruise;
September 2011, AKL & B2B - Disney Dream & Wilderness Lodge; January 2012 - Boardwalk; October 2012 - Grand Californian at Disneyland; October 2012 - Disney Wonder to Hawaii; October 2012 - Candy Cane Inn at Disneyland; February 2013 - BLT & Disney Dream & Beach Club Resort; May 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; September 2013 - Polynesian & Fantasy; October 2013 - Art of Animation; December 2013 - Old Key West
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Leger13
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - Feb 2nd

DH and I woke up bright and early. 3:30am. We wanted to be packed and on the road by 4:30am. DH loaded the car the night before so we could just grab our last min items, Alex and hit the road.

Ready to go!!

Alex fell back asleep around 6:30am and then woke back up again around 8:00am so we stopped to eat breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Tifton, GA

When we got back in the car Alex fell back asleep like a good boy

We did stop one more time so we could all use the rest room and stretch our legs but it wasn't long before we saw this

And no excitement from Alex

We couldn't check in to the Best Western until 3:00pm and since we arrived at 1:00pm we decided to head to DTD so we could have our little DIS meet with Betsy and her adorable little Stinkerbell

Here's Alex and I waiting

He kept reaching for Cindy

And here's the DIS meet crew

We had a very good meal at Rainforest. I was nervous as to how Alex would handle the animatronics and storm during our meal but he did really well. He only got a little worried but other than that he was fine. I had the ribs to eat YUM! Not sure what DH had and Alex had fruit and mac n cheese.

After that it was time to check into the Best Western. I can say the room was huge and very nice but the people working there weren't very friendly. Alex was SO glad to have a space to roll around, crawl and play in once we finally got into our room!

And silly me dressed him in way too warm clothes for Florida (it was close to 80* that day) so I undressed him to let him cool off for a bit.

And then the sumo match with Mickey started

Ready for bed!

We hit the sack early that night. I set up the PnP for Alex and it took me an hour to get him to sleep so by 8:00pm we were all sleeping soundly until Alex decided he wanted to sleep in the big bed with mommy and daddy around 11:00pm.

All in all, the drive down was good and our evening was very good. At least we were off to a good start
Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Leger13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
I'm curious to hear what happened. We took my son at 14 months (and 10 months). Eating in restaurants was a definite challenge that's for sure.
oh goodness. I was a little afraid my DS wouldn't do good eating out a ton but that wasn't our problem per say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeelox9 View Post
What a Cliff hanger!!! I am so sorry it wasnt all you hoped it would be!
I won't leave you hanging for long. I"m gonna try to do this TR as fast as possible. Our trip was short so there's not much to tell but yeah, it was interesting to say the least. Definitely not one we will ever forget!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Jessica527
Dreaming Disney Every Minute :)

Can't wait to hear more! Don't let one bad trip make you not go on the next, it will get better and better!

2009: All Star Sports - Dad's First Disney Trip
2007 Part 2: Off Site - HS Trip

2007 Part 1: All Star Music
2005: Off Site - HS Trip[
1998: All Star Sports
Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
cherbear
DIS Veteran

I love all the pics!! Darn, no excitement from Alex....I'm sure he was dreaming about Mickey Mouse though

WDW in July with a baby?? Am I crazy?!

1983-98--Multiple visits,'01-ASMu,'03-CSR,'06-ASMu; AS Sports,'07; Sept 08 & 09 @ Pop Century. Next visit....???
Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Leger13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica527 View Post
Can't wait to hear more! Don't let one bad trip make you not go on the next, it will get better and better!
Oh we'll definitely be back. Just have to let the bad taste from this one wear off. I'm thinking we'll take Alex again for his 3rd birthday that way he's walking and talking and still free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbear View Post
I love all the pics!! Darn, no excitement from Alex....I'm sure he was dreaming about Mickey Mouse though
Thanks haha yeah he just might have been!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

I've been dying to know what happened on your trip! Happy you started your tr but feel so so bad for how it turned out!

Looking forward to more! Maybe as a worst case scenario for our October trip?? Lol.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
DisneyStitch626
DIS Veteran

Hello! I am here through the good and the bad. Glad to hear there were at least some ups! Looks like the car ride went pretty well.

We have two of those Mickeys with the red jacket! Seth's grandparents didn't communicate what they got them, so we ended up with two....so one is mine now. He's so cute!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
nannye
DIS Veteran

So sorry you didn't have a great trip! But I'm on board!

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: