Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
stiebermom
Earning My Ears

recommendation for mattress please

We have not purchased a new mattress in over 10 years, but it is time. We are looking for a good, king size mattress. By good, I mean a reasonably priced mattresss that does not propel its occupants to the middle if 2 people lay on it. We also prefer softer vs firmer mattresses. Any brand suggestions? Thanks for your input.

DH me DD 17 DD 13
stiebermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
StregaNona
Mouseketeer

I, too, would like information on new mattresses. Has anyone bought a foam mattress, specifically a Tempurpedic one?
StregaNona is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
snowwite
DIS Veteran

We loved the Heavenly beds at Swan so I did some research and found out they use one very like the Sealy Backcare. We got a King 11 years ago and we got a Queen last year. The King was from Jordan's furniture in MA and the Queen was on sale at Sears. It is a never turn mattress. It has a solid box spring then the mattress with a quilted topper over a layer of tempur pedic like foam. We were going to get a new one but we got another foam overlay for about $100 at Costco and will probably get a few more years out of it.

snowwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

So funny mattress shopping story...I was told by a young man selling mattresses that I would not be so fat if I bought his $6000 mattress. So, after getting over my shock that he would reference my weight (his actual words were something to the effect that I would sleep so much better on this mattress that I would have so much energy that I would lose weight!) I thanked him for his assistance and left the store. Not going back to that one!

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
snowwite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMork View Post
So funny mattress shopping story...I was told by a young man selling mattresses that I would not be so fat if I bought his $6000 mattress. So, after getting over my shock that he would reference my weight (his actual words were something to the effect that I would sleep so much better on this mattress that I would have so much energy that I would lose weight!) I thanked him for his assistance and left the store. Not going back to that one!
Wow. What nerve. On the other hand if there is a way I can lose weight while I sleep I may just want one.

snowwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwite View Post
Wow. What nerve. On the other hand if there is a way I can lose weight while I sleep I may just want one.
Me too, but I was not going to take a $6000 gamble on that.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I'd ignore the brand, and just buy the most comfortable one you can get for your money.

I do have to admit, I find it interesting how many people replace a mattress so soon. Most mattresses come with a 20 year warranty, so 10 years is just half of it's warranted life so if it had defects, you have some money coming back.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
angelike1125
Earning My Ears

I'm a sales trainer for a large, well-known mattress manufacturer so I have a little knowledge here. For a king sized bed, that's reasonably priced and good quality, you should expect to pay a minimum of $1500 (queen--at least $1000). If you want something on the softer side, simply choice a plush or a firm pillow top.

While I'm sorry for the PP comment about a salesman commenting on size, I will submit that if you are on the larger side, you may want to consider a wire-tied coil unit (Serta Perfect Sleeper or Sealy Posturepedic). Individually wrapped coils are great for motion transfer but don't always give the best support, the exception being in the Simmons Legend/Black models or the Stearns and Foster Estate line. The price jumps here however.

My favorite bed on the market right now is the Sealy Hybrid. It's a mix of memory foam and springs with the look of a memory foam mattress (think tempurpedic). The iSeries by Serta is similar but has a quilted top which causes the memory foam to lose some of its benefits in my opinion. Both beds are at comparable price points plus/minus a hundred dollars.

angelike1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
mickeymotto
Where in the "World" am I?

Best mattress we have ever had!!!

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...1/product.html

Let me start off by saying we have had many mattresses over the years and have paid thousands of dollars to be disappointed shortly after the purchases almost every time. This along with many back aches and issues of discomfort plagued us for years until one day (on a desperate chance) I ordered a mattress right before we left to go on a Disney trip 3 years ago. I ordered this mattress and it was delivered and (my son) had it ready upon our return. We have slept like babies ever since! One of the best purchases I have EVER made! We loved this mattress so much, we bought 2 more for our sons the following year. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews too. DO NOT over spend on those "other" name brand manufacturers who over charged us all for years. Go get yourself a great mattress at a great deal that is made in the USA!:

Last edited by mickeymotto; 08-31-2013 at 09:31 PM.
mickeymotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
gymstx
Mouseketeer

We have had good luck with Simmons mattresses. My sister has a tempur-pedic and absolutely hates it.
gymstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
mickeymotto
Where in the "World" am I?

I have to add from my previous post....I repeat DO NOT over pay for those ridiculously priced brick and mortar store prices. What a joke! I will NEVER be taken advantage of by the sales people again. (and I am in sales...lol) Please go check out the site and read the reviews. I have not had a bad nights sleep since and saved a ton of money!

I spent months researching mattresses and figured, oh what the heck...I'll spend a third of the cost of the $1500 mattress I was initially considering (and attempting to be talk into) at the store and take a chance on the $400 mattress online. I figured if it was really bad, I at least didn't throw away a ton of money and would take the gamble. Well, the odds worked in my favor this time! So the odds and the price were both right on this pick!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Jeff_G
Mouseketeer

We just purchased a new mattress after 13 years on our old one. What we did was go to several stores and lay down on different mattress types. Spend a few minutes on your back and then on your side. We were going to purchase another coil spring mattress but really loved the memory foam ones.

The name brand mattress are expensive so we went to several different stores and finally found a non brand memory foam mattress for 1/3 the price of the name brand. One thing I liked about the non band mattress is that it listed out the different layers what type and density foam was being used.
Jeff_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

We love our Simmons Comforpedic.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
3princes+1princess
Mouseketeer

I am not sure....but I highly recommend that you research the toxicity of foam mattresses if you are considering one....actually all mattresses contain so many chemicals for fire prevention that people get sick after getting new mattresses. I know many of my allergies/sensitivities/headaches started after getting our new mattress....and it wasn't even a foam one. I personally would never buy a memory foam mattress, or pillow, or mattress pad for that matter.
3princes+1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
angelike1125
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
We just purchased a new mattress after 13 years on our old one. What we did was go to several stores and lay down on different mattress types. Spend a few minutes on your back and then on your side. We were going to purchase another coil spring mattress but really loved the memory foam ones.

The name brand mattress are expensive so we went to several different stores and finally found a non brand memory foam mattress for 1/3 the price of the name brand. One thing I liked about the non band mattress is that it listed out the different layers what type and density foam was being used.
The specific layers of foam, coil counts, edge support, etc. are available at the store level. Sales associates should have easy access to a "spec guide" with all this information. Most sales people sell on comfort and only talk about the specs to show value in the product. Many stores (Macy's, sears, sleepys, mattress firm, et al) are likely to have demos of the inside of the bed (coils/foams/both) that you can touch and feel to understand the quality of the product. Most discount stores do not offer the same--at least none in my area do. A mattress is a blind item, having access to those demos takes at least a teeny bit of the mystery out of buying the product.

All major brand name manufacturers are based in the US and have between 15-30 plants across the country. It's something we take great pride in in the industry. Many of the off brand products are made overseas, especially the memory foam products.

angelike1125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: