Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
ForeverDance
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PryncessChrysty View Post
Oh yeah, I usually do lift out of my seat when I ride it cuz of the zero gravity - and you're right, it definitely adds to the fun of it! It was just that this time, my head was almost touching the ceiling. Like, my booty was next to my hubby's head, and he's 6'4" & all torso. I've never experienced anything quite like that before!
Okay that is definitely a lot higher than I've ever gotten. That is a little crazy... I think I'd really enjoy it, though it would give my DH a heart attack... if I could even get him on it
July 2006 - POFQ
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #32
PryncessChrysty
This sounds like a fun game
Loves doing puzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
Love all your pics!

Your story of your Mom on ToT reminds me of one about my mom during my family's first trip to WDW (this was waaaaay back in 1988!) Mom doesn't like heights at all, but we somehow talked her into going on BTMR. My brother and I were in one car, and Mom, Dad and Sis were in the car behind us. Bro and I spent the entire ride "Woohoo!"-ing and with our arms in the air... Mom spent the entire ride yelling at us to shut up and hold on!
That's hilarious! I think our moms are two peas in a pod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDance View Post
Okay that is definitely a lot higher than I've ever gotten. That is a little crazy... I think I'd really enjoy it, though it would give my DH a heart attack... if I could even get him on it
It was....crazy...and fun!

It's always more fun with hubby, I hope you can get him on with you next time!

DL Local / / WDW Vet / / Instagram: PracticallyPeachy & DisneyFoodies

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
MrsDrewsky
DIS Veteran

I'm kind of late to the party, but I am subscribing.

I love the pics so far, DHS looks amazing during Christmas time.

I was super bummed to read your review of Cookes, it's one of our favorites, but honestly we usually just stick with the scallops.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #34
PryncessChrysty
Loves doing puzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDrewsky View Post
I'm kind of late to the party, but I am subscribing.

I love the pics so far, DHS looks amazing during Christmas time.

I was super bummed to read your review of Cookes, it's one of our favorites, but honestly we usually just stick with the scallops.
Not late at all! Thanks for joining in!

DHS really is beautiful at Christmas time!

Maybe Cookes was just a fluke for us. We were incredibly tired, and we were there later in the day.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #35
PryncessChrysty
Loves doing puzzles

Hi everyone! March has proven to be a C-R-A-Z-Y month for us, I'm sorry for my recent lack in updates. I'm hoping to post something new this week, so I hope you'll stay tuned.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #36
Disneysnel
Mouseketeer

ZZZZzzzzz

Dave & Kelley
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 AM   #37
PryncessChrysty
Loves doing puzzles

Chapter 5: Family, Food and……Freezing?

We left the Studios around 4:45 and the plan was to go back to our room and relax a bit before meeting up with the family again for dinner. Note the operative word here is PLAN.

I don’t know what it is, but whenever we stay in the DTD resort area, I have a tendency to get lost at least once on the way to our hotel. This was that time. What should’ve taken about 10 minutes ended up taking an HOUR because not only did I make not one, but TWO wrong turns, albeit in the general area of our resort, there was a MAJOR traffic jam. We finally got into our room a little before 6pm, which gave us enough time to sit down for a quick minute, change our clothes & freshen up. We were out the door by 6:30 to make our way over to the Poly.

After we parked, we made a mad dash for the 2nd floor to check-in for our 6:50 reservation at O’hana. When we got up there, though, I couldn’t find the check-in stand. I remember it being in the area between the Tambu Lounge and Kona Café, but there wasn’t anything there. It turned out they moved the check-in near the elevators and we had passed right by it when we first got up there. I clearly needed to slow down at this point.

When we found the line, my brother was already in it and almost to the front. My mom & step-dad were parking their car, so we waited for them over at the Tambu lounge. A few minutes later my parents came in, and our table was ready almost right away. Yay!

The host took us around to our table where it seemed we were going to have a perfect castle view. Until we actually sat down and found that the view was completely obstructed. It wasn’t a big deal, but it was just kind of weird to me – the restaurant has such great real estate, but it seemed like quite a few of the castle-facing tables would have an obstructed view.

My mom & step-dad have been to O’hana several times and consider it a favorite, but Daniel and I had never been. So every time we take a family trip, my mom always has it on her must-do list, but we’ve just never been able to make it work. When planning this trip, I was finally able to score an ADR for a date/time that worked with our schedule and even better, it was when all of us would be together. O’hana with the o’hana….it was kismet!

I’ve read/heard a lot of mixed reviews over the years and it seems that most people either love it or hate it, so I tried to disregard the hype and go in with an open mind. I will say that DH & I enjoyed it much more than we expected to, but that was solely because of the food. Our waiter was very nice, but he was MIA most of the night and we were left without drinks throughout the majority of our meal. When he finally did bring out our beverages, he spilled a glass of ice water down DH’s back! Eek! I understand that accidents happen, but his first reaction was to dry off the chair and didn’t even offer DH a towel! Daniel finally had to ask the guy for a towel so he could try to dry himself off and I had to point out to him that the fabric chair was a lost cause and to just change it out. While he was never rude or anything, he was so oblivious that it was almost frustrating. We did joke about the mishap for the rest of the night though, so at least it gave us some comic relief. lol

Overall, even with DH’s impromptu bath, we really enjoyed the meal itself and it was so great to sit down to have a family dinner. I honestly can’t remember how many years it’s been since we’ve been able to do that. I don’t have a lot of pictures from this night because we were really just focused on being with the family, but here are a couple from my phone…

Jason & I with our cocktails! Pina Colava for me and a Lapu Lapu for him.

The only food photo I grabbed this meal, and I have NO idea why the noodles & veggies were what I decided to take a photo of...

After dinner we toured the lobby for a bit and then went outside to grab some beach chairs and watch the Electrical Water Pageant & Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party fireworks.

We LOVE the EWP, classic Disney at its best!

It was absolutely FREEZING this night - something we have never experienced at Disney. With the windchill it was 43 degrees and there was a big breeze coming off of Seven Seas Lagoon. We felt like popsicles, but we were determined to watch the fireworks from the beach and this would be my brother’s only opportunity to see them. We tried to huddle close together on our chairs to keep each other warm, and when the fireworks finally started, I think we all forgot about the cold. The Poly beach offers such a great vantage point, especially for the perimeter fireworks that go off during the MNSSHP & MVMCP shows.

The quality isn’t so great on these shots below because they’re from my phone, but I just LOVE those perimeter fireworks…and in Christmas colors to boot!

As soon as the show was over we BOLTED back into the lobby for warmth. It seems so weird even to say that, we’re usually in search of AC! We shopped in the BouTiki and found these guys...

I was excited to show them the decorations on our car and DH wanted to check out their rental so we headed out to the parking lot. They got a great deal on a “premium” with Alamo and picked a Taurus with all kinds of bells & whistles. After chatting for a little while longer, we finally said good night and headed back to our rooms. We were all moving resorts the next morning and needed to get packin’.

Our last trip through the OKW gate…

Next Up: We’re headed into the Wilderness…

Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #38
ForeverDance
Mouseketeer

I've always wanted to watch the fireworks from the

poly beach but I've just never managed it. Your pictures make me more determined to do this on a future trip!
July 2006 - POFQ
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
Disneysnel
Mouseketeer

That was a very fun night - a bit cold, especially for Daniel but still fun! Great trip addition and looking forward to the next!

Dave & Kelley
Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #40
PryncessChrysty
Loves doing puzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDance View Post
I've always wanted to watch the fireworks from the

poly beach but I've just never managed it. Your pictures make me more determined to do this on a future trip!
If you're able to squeeze it into your plans, I highly recommend it! It can make for a very magical evening, minus the crowds of Main St.! A little tip - try to grab a chair closer to the concierge lounge of the Hawaii building so that you're really able to hear the audio track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysnel View Post
That was a very fun night - a bit cold, especially for Daniel but still fun! Great trip addition and looking forward to the next!
A "bit cold"?!? Oh yeah, YOU had a jacket!!!

It was a super fun night!

Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #41
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

When you posted on my TR, I noticed your sig... and had to come over here!!!

I can see this is going to be fun to read along. You and I are a lot alike!

Crazy dreams before a trip? Yup...

Try desperately to NOT get sick before a trip? Yup. Although, I have failed a couple times sorry that this was your time

Detailed planner, but flexible? Yup.. In fact, your statement could have totally come from my own lips! Sometimes on my December trip, my planner only was used to tell me when and where to eat.

Your pictures are so wonderful. The BLT ones Hollywood BLV EWP And Wishes LOVE THEM!!!

can't wait to read more.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #42
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

You're right about the tables at 'Ohana... it seems they'd have a great view, but sadly, don't. I had dinner there for the 1st time last summer and out of our party of 3, my seat was the only one with a view of the Castle and fireworks. Lucky me, huh?

And I loved the food! I thought it was all very yummy.

So the Electrical Water Pageant goes on every night, even when there is a MNSSHP or MVMCP going on? If so, that's great! Have never seen the pageant, and DH and I are going to do the luau dinner show on our October trip. We're going to try for the early seating, then after dinner walk around and explore the Poly. I've only been there for our 'Ohana dinner, but I'd like to (possibly) stay there on our next family trip. I thought DH and I could check out the resort, then maybe head to the beach to watch that night's fireworks. It'd be great to watch the EWP, too!
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
Old 04-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #43
PryncessChrysty
Loves doing puzzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
When you posted on my TR, I noticed your sig... and had to come over here!!!

I can see this is going to be fun to read along. You and I are a lot alike!

Crazy dreams before a trip? Yup...

Try desperately to NOT get sick before a trip? Yup. Although, I have failed a couple times sorry that this was your time

Detailed planner, but flexible? Yup.. In fact, your statement could have totally come from my own lips! Sometimes on my December trip, my planner only was used to tell me when and where to eat.

Your pictures are so wonderful. The BLT ones Hollywood BLV EWP And Wishes LOVE THEM!!!

can't wait to read more.

Thank you for coming over to my TR!
I completely agree - as I read through your report, there was SO much that I was able to relate to.
Your daughter is completely adorable, BTW!

Thank you so much for the kind words about the photos! I still have a LOT to learn about photography, but I'm having so much fun in the process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
You're right about the tables at 'Ohana... it seems they'd have a great view, but sadly, don't. I had dinner there for the 1st time last summer and out of our party of 3, my seat was the only one with a view of the Castle and fireworks. Lucky me, huh?

And I loved the food! I thought it was all very yummy.

So the Electrical Water Pageant goes on every night, even when there is a MNSSHP or MVMCP going on? If so, that's great! Have never seen the pageant, and DH and I are going to do the luau dinner show on our October trip. We're going to try for the early seating, then after dinner walk around and explore the Poly. I've only been there for our 'Ohana dinner, but I'd like to (possibly) stay there on our next family trip. I thought DH and I could check out the resort, then maybe head to the beach to watch that night's fireworks. It'd be great to watch the EWP, too!
You did get lucky! Cuz those seats are just far & few between in there! So strange.

The EWP is a nightly thing and goes around to all of the MK area resorts. It's nothing I would rearrange my schedule to see, but if you're able to work it in, then I say it's a must-see. It's nothing spectacular, it's just classic Disney - literally since it's been at WDW since opening day! lol

The Luau sounds like fun - I can't wait to read about what you thought of it. We stayed there on our honeymoon, the Poly was our "dream" resort. While we liked it, more for the proximity than anything else, we never really felt the wow factor we were hoping for, though. Maybe because we had built it up to be something bigger than it was, I don't know, BUT....that said, I think its a GREAT option for families. The rooms are huge, and there is a ton of stuff on property to keep kids entertained. So if you do end up going with your children, I think they'll have a great time. The pool is a lot of fun - especially if it's warm enough to swim during the fireworks (we did that during our honeymoon, too!).

DH & I just decided to head back for our anniversary in October and I think we're actually going to be there over the same dates as you & your hubby. I'm hoping to get caught up on your PTR tonight, I was only able to take a quick glance at it (gotta bet back to work for now... ).

We're also planning a trip with my family again for this December, so I was thinking about starting a combined PTR for both trips. Might be kinda fun, I just don't know where I'd find the time....

Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #44
jwgm2012
Geaux Saints!

Really late to this party... but I'm here for the best part it seems... Love your pics and can completely relate to the "it's-a-day-before-a-big-trip-will-catch-a-cold" feeling...

And not trip related at all, but have to say - you have a very handsome bro!

Can't wait to read more and find out if you ever started feeling better...

gina
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #45
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

The main reason the Poly is on our list of potential resorts for our next trip is because we've invited my mom to come with us... and she's always dreamed of staying there. But... the other day I showed my youngest DD a video on the new Art of Animation resort. She is ALL OVER staying in one of the Lion King rooms! I have to say, that is one thing I actually like about the Value Resorts... that they are so IN-YOUR-FACE DISNEY. Yes, the Mod and Deluxe resorts are themed to the hilt, but the rooms just look like hotel rooms (if that makes sense) Soooo... it gets me thinking, "You know, she's only going to be a kid once... we can stay at a more "grown up" resort when she's older..." But I'm glad to hear your opinions that kids would like the Poly! Swimming while the fireworks are on sounds like fun!

Yay for an October trip! This will make my 3rd trip during October... I think it's a perfect time to visit.
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: