Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #61
marvali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Did you start and I missed it???
Working on a Day 1 update now. Got pictures uploaded to PB. Now time to get on the writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I read your intro a couple of days ago and then forgot to check in! I'm here now so now you and Glen can start the jokes that go over my head!
Dan can start pre-emptively shouting out answers to future quiz questions, Rosie can start dancing.. and we can all .
About time! I was waiting on your return to get things moving around here.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
I am not the one who puts the double entendres on EVERYTHING that is said.... I saw my email... You forget Marv (well, not really ) but I am an overworked, sleep deprived lady...who hasn't played in a loooong time...NOW, what are you going to do with that!
For once I think I will just........keep my mouth shut!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
THIS!! On ALL counts!!! I am afraid I just can't keep up with you... By the time I catch up, you will have moved on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Aw, thanks for the welcome. You really mean it, right? Am I really and truly welcome because sometimes I don't know with you... Just kidding!

Quote:
Really? So I add something positive to your TR's then? That's good to know. I am looking forward to hearing about it too! No stress trip? What is that?? I've not had one in years.
I'm having a really hard time deciding exactly how I want to write the first part of this TR because of it......
Quote:
Get used to that feeling of "did I miss an update?" Mary, Marv marches to the beat of his own drum when it comes to actually DOING an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
So this is where all the cool people hang out !! Mind if I join in ?? I'm cool .. I promise.
Michelle!!! Not ALL of them hang out here, but now that you made it over we are one closer......
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I love you, Molly.

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report

Last edited by marvali; 02-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #62
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Don't know about you but it was too nice here to be inside.

Hey Marv- I am just trying to buy you some time on that update.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #63
marvali
DIS Veteran

Chapter 1 – Arrival Day

I had to reschedule this trip a couple of times because of work. When I got our final DVC reservations, we were still able to get a room at Old Key West. We had stayed there on a previous trip and really enjoyed it. This time I knew they had been doing extensive refurbishment at OKW, and we were anxious to see how much different it was. The other thing that is great about OKW is that the rooms are some of the largest of the DVC resorts, which gives us lots more room to spread out.

Every time we go to Orlando for a Disney trip, I try to figure out how I can squeeze in an extra day or two. This trip was no different as we drove part of the way on Thursday evening after I got off work. I didn’t want to push it too much, but I knew if we could get a little closer, we could arrive early enough that I could plan a good meal when we arrived, and maybe even squeeze in an extra day in a park on Friday night.

We got up Friday morning, checked out of our hotel near Macon, Georgia and headed out for the remainder of our drive to Orlando. Everything went smoothly and we were right on the schedule I had hoped to meet. Our first two nights would be at the Quality Suites, Lake Buena Vista, before moving into OKW on Sunday. This was a new location for us but I had wanted to try it as it came highly rated. We arrived early and after a little delay getting checked in (they were still cleaning the room) we got to our room and were very pleased. We had a two-room suite with a full kitchen. The separate bedroom had two queen beds, and the living room area had a sleeper sofa. I think this may become our standard off-site hotel in the future as it was very clean, roomy, and a great place for larger families for short or longer stays.

After quickly getting settled we headed to Downtown Disney for our 5:00pm dinner ADR at House of Blues. This was a new location for us to eat, and Jonathan had been the biggest proponent of giving it a try, but we were all really looking forward to this meal since the menu sounded very interesting. We arrived early at DTD, but it took a couple trips through the parking lot to find a spot to park. We knew we had some time before we had to check in for dinner, so we took some time to check out some of the stores along the way. We toured Disney’s Candy Cauldron, D Street where I actually spent some time checking out the Vinylmations for the first time, the Harley-Davidson store, and RIDEMAKERZ, which the boys really enjoyed.

Even with quick stops along the way, we arrived at House of Blues about 45 minutes early, so we checked out the Company Store. Of course we had to get our traditional salute to Kathy and Mark with some hat pics! This time, everyone got in on the action.

Okay, who’s the smart-aleck????

Funny that after taking all the pictures I noticed a sign that said no pictures allowed…………oops! I hoped there wasn’t any security around to get on my case, but I hear that is more likely at the Lego Store.

We still had 30 minutes until our ADR, but I figured that wasn’t too early to check in, and maybe we would get in early. Our plans were to eat and then head to DHS, so that would give us some extra time in the park, or allow us to head back to the room a little earlier. When I checked in the hostesses told us it would only be a few minutes, so I checked out the waiting area. I thought this abstract map of the world on the wall near the restrooms was very interesting.

With some really close International DISfriends here, I had to zoom in on the area of the map that represented each of them. Can you each find the flag representing your countries???

We got seated and placed our order. We were using the TIW discount this trip and opted for an appetizer to share. We went with the Crab and Artichoke dip with chips.

Alison and Jonathan both ordered the Jambalaya.

Andrew and I had the BBQ Ribs. The roasted corn on the cob was delicious.

Since we actually had our food around the time of our original ADR time, we were done early and on the way to DHS. I had to get this standard picture to mark our entry to the park, which was right at 6:00pm.

We had plenty of time to enjoy the park, but what would we try to do this late in the day? We didn’t really have any firm plans except for Star Tours. This had been closed for the update when we had been there before, so this was the first chance to try the new and improved version. We were in no hurry as we strolled along, so I stopped to take a picture you so often miss when hurrying around. This is one of those little touches the Imagineers put in for those who take the time to look up and around at their surroundings.

On our previous trip I stopped with the boys to experience the well with the rope, but Alison hadn’t been with us at the time. We stopped so she could check it out too.

We arrived at Star Tours and wouldn’t you know……it was temporarily shut down. There were quite a few people standing around waiting for it to re-open. We discussed what we wanted to do, but the boys didn’t have anything in particular that interested them. Even this late in the day it was evident that we were going to deal with a lot of heat and humidity during our trip. We decided to wait and see if the ride opened again, so we headed into the gift shop and looked around. Andrew decided he needed a picture with some of the stuffed characters.

Of course we had another opportunity for some hat pics…….

After a little time in the shop we checked to see if Star Tours was open yet, but no luck. Time for another picture of Andrew acting silly. Not sure where he gets that from……..

The ride was still closed so we decided we had wasted enough time so we headed back towards the middle of the park to figure out what else we wanted to do. I don’t know if it was just a slow day at DHS, or the heat had run people off early, but the park wasn’t crowded and nobody seemed to be in a hurry to get anywhere in particular.

There wasn’t a line at The Great Movie Ride when we got there, and we hadn’t done this in a while, so we decided to take a ride. One of the key things we were looking to do this trip was seek out Hidden Mickey’s, so we planned to do a lot of the rides we don’t normally do as often. This time we got the gangster option on the ride, but came up empty on the HMs.

After we exited the Great Movie Ride we headed back towards Star Tours, but it was still shut down. After a quick discussion everyone decided they weren’t really interested in trying anything else, so we headed for the exit and an early evening at the hotel. We had plenty of days still ahead to enjoy, but little did we know this would become a frequent theme for the week.

Next Up Chapter 2 – A Trip to the Magic Kingdom

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report

Last edited by marvali; 02-21-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #64
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Oooohh, taking pictures where you're not supposed to!

I do that all the time! I'm constantly nervous that the Disney Cops are going to bust me doing something I'm not supposed to do. At least in this case, you could plead your case by saying that you had no idea the sign was there until AFTER the pictures were taken. It's what I use all the time.

Sometimes wandering around the park is a good way to end a travel day. I can't wait to see pictures of OKW. I haven't stayed there in a while so the refurb will be new to me.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #65
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Well, and here I was coming on to poke fun at you for not having an update done yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
[SIZE="4"]
Every time we go to Orlando for a Disney trip, I try to figure out how I can squeeze in an extra day or two. This trip was no different as we drove part of the way on Thursday evening after I got off work. I didn’t want to push it too much, but I knew if we could get a little closer, we could arrive early enough that I could plan a good meal when we arrived, and maybe even squeeze in an extra day in a park on Friday night.
Me too, I try to do whatever I can to tweak an extra day somewhere. A couple of trips ago, we lucked out and there was a snow storm back home! Stayed two extra days, score!

Quote:
Even with quick stops along the way, we arrived at House of Blues about 45 minutes early, so we checked out the Company Store. Of course we had to get our traditional salute to Kathy and Mark with some hat pics! This time, everyone got in on the action.

Nice Michael Jackson pose! Clearly he gets his rhythm from Allison...

Quote:
I'm gonna say Drew!

Quote:
When I checked in the hostesses told us it would only be a few minutes, so I checked out the waiting area. I thought this abstract map of the world on the wall near the restrooms was very interesting.

Love this! It's pretty cool, could you tell what it was made out of?

Quote:
With some really close International DISfriends here, I had to zoom in on the area of the map that represented each of them. Can you each find the flag representing your countries???
I see London, I see France, I see...

Quote:
Holy cow, that corn looks amazing! Seriously, anything on the grill is delicious, right?

Quote:
On our previous trip I stopped with the boys to experience the well with the rope, but Alison hadn’t been with us at the time. We stopped so she could check it out too.

Ok, I've read about this but never knew where in the heck it was located! Now I know, thanks Marv. Who knew you could actually learn something here, shocking.

Quote:
We decided to wait and see if the ride opened again, so we headed into the gift shop and looked around. Andrew decided he needed a picture with some of the stuffed characters.
Super cute pic. He looks like a young Luke Skywalker.

Quote:
Hey, it's Marv 2D2.

Quote:
After a little time in the shop we checked to see if Star Tours was open yet, but no luck. Time for another picture of Andrew acting silly. Not sure where he gets that from……..
Oh, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it Marv.

Quote:
There wasn’t a line at The Great Movie Ride when we got there, and we hadn’t done this in a while, so we decided to take a ride. One of the key things we were looking to do this trip was seek out Hidden Mickey’s, so we planned to do a lot of the rides we don’t normally do as often. This time we got the gangster option on the ride, but came up empty on the HMs.
I like the cowboy option better myself. We looked for those elusive HM's on that ride too. I think we went cross-eyed after awhile looking!

Quote:
After we exited the Great Movie Ride we headed back towards Star Tours, but it was still shut down. After a quick discussion everyone decided they weren’t really interested in trying anything else, so we headed for the exit and an early evening at the hotel. We had plenty of days still ahead to enjoy, but little did we know this would become a frequent theme for the week.
A little foreshadowing going on? I hope that wasn't the case!

Fab update Marv. You accomplished quite a bit for your arrival day, good work! And here I thought you were a slacker. Oh, and two and a half Allisons. Wait, wrong TR, sorry.

Last edited by 3prettyprincesses; 02-19-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #66
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I love you, Molly.
Love you too Kat!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #67
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's you!

Oh, you mean who's holding up the bunny ears behind you. Nevermind.

Quote:

Funny that after taking all the pictures I noticed a sign that said no pictures allowed…………oops!
Doesn't take you long to start breaking the rules.

Quote:
Yep, stars and stripes on the left side of the picture.

Quote:
Mmmm, looks good.

Quote:
We arrived at Star Tours and wouldn’t you know……it was temporarily shut down.

After a little time in the shop we checked to see if Star Tours was open yet, but no luck.
Bummer. Hope you eventually got to try it out.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #68
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

There are few things better than crossing under the arch and stepping on Disney Property.

So you never even had the VooDoo shrimp? Poor thing.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #69
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Did Molly sneak down to Disney to do this to you, Marv?

Funny that after taking all the pictures I noticed a sign that said no pictures allowed…………oops!

Shame, shame, shame!

We got seated and placed our order. We were using the TIW discount this trip and opted for an appetizer to share. We went with the Crab and Artichoke dip with chips.

Alison and Jonathan both ordered the Jambalaya.

Dinner looks yummy.

Oh my....I believe I'm speechless.

Like father, like son.

Next Up Chapter 2 – A Trip to the Magic Kingdom
We haven't had the gangster in years.

Although you didn't get a lot done, I know you were happy to get there and get settled.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #70
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

well Since I have the double post I might s well comment about the hats.

I think you did a great tribute to Kathy!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #71
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Can you provide a link to the hotel you stayed at? I wanted to check it out online, but am having trouble finding a "Comfort Suites Lake Buena Vista". (Or maybe you're just making all of this up?)
Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #72
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Can you provide a link to the hotel you stayed at? I wanted to check it out online, but am having trouble finding a "Comfort Suites Lake Buena Vista". (Or maybe you're just making all of this up?)

Comfort Suites Maingate East(FL140)

Compare Hotel

2775 Florida Plaza Blvd

Kissimmee, FL, US, 34746

Comfort suites
Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #73
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Comfort Suites Maingate East(FL140)
Thanks. I saw that but wasn't sure since it wasn't Lake Buena Vista. The Lake Buena Vista hotels that sounded most like it were Quality Suites.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #74
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Thanks. I saw that but wasn't sure since it wasn't Lake Buena Vista. The Lake Buena Vista hotels that sounded most like it were Quality Suites.
Of Course it could still be the quality suites. I just looked at the map view and tried to think like Marv on how far a radius I should draw.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #75
MEK
DIS Veteran

I subbed to your last TR but got hopelessly behind. This time I am in from the beginning to the end. Great start to your TR. I just stayed at OKW in December and really enjoyed it!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: