Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
TheQueenMum
Minding the Princesses

Everyone does what they are comfortable with. I have done one per person, or one per cabin(plus stickers and candy for the kids) on my previous cruises, I have never done one per day, but I know some people do!

As far as limits and cut offs, we can do whatever works for the group, We are small so far so I am not worried about numbers, but I would think we should try to cut off a few weeks before the cruise so we can get everything finalized.

What does everyone else think?

and two very tolerant dogs.

TheQueenMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #17
Ward On Board
Mouseketeer

Awesome! Thank you for the information. I think we will do one gift per stateroom and then some fun things for the kids. I've also got some ideas for the ladies that I really like. I've seen some really nice & cute gifts that I would like to recreate. It seems like men are the hardest!

I think we should cut it off about 3 weeks before the sail date so that we can finalize everything. I've read that some people have made 100+ gifts with as many as 80 staterooms. Is that common? I was thinking more along the lines of 30 staterooms and under!!!

Enjoy your day!
Ward On Board is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
TheQueenMum
Minding the Princesses

Wow! I can't imagine 80 rooms. Maybe if we are lucky enough to get that big we could split into 2 or 3 groups.

Also I think 3 weeks seems like a reasonable amount of time to finalize everything. So if everyone is good with 3 weeks we will close our list on November 25.

Is it time to get on the boat yet?

and two very tolerant dogs.

TheQueenMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Ward On Board
Mouseketeer

I agree...80 is a lot! I think you would have to split it up at that point. I hope we see an increase in numbers as we get closer to the sail date.

This is going to be the LONGEST 6 months of my life. I check Disney stuff daily in hopes of finding more tips, tricks and information. My husband just sits back and laughs.

Because this is our first cruise and first Disney experience, we really have NO clue what to expect other than what we've read. We are leaving our home in NC on December 14th and driving through the night. We will arrive on the 15th to see what Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral have to offer. We're staying at the International Palms Resort on the 15th and then excitedly boarding on the 16th with you all!!!! After the cruise, we are going to Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter for 4 days, spending a day at the Magic Kingdom and a day at Hollywood Studios.

Any tips or ideas for a first time cruiser who simply can't get enough information??

***EDIT***

I just found out that Disney is expected to release free dining for check in between 12/10 and 12/13! We might be switching our plans up a bit to take advantage of this great deal. We might go to Disney World before the cruise. Yippeee!!!

Last edited by Ward On Board; 07-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
Ward On Board
Mouseketeer

Ohhh...if for some reason we get upgraded or our room assignment changes at the time of boarding, how will we let everyone know?

I saw another group organize their participants and it was brilliant! It's towards the beginning of the thread. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...extender+gifts

Last edited by Ward On Board; 07-10-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #21
SueTGGR
Disney visits as often as money will allow-donations accepted

Hi, everyone! We just switched over to this cruise and hopefully this will be our last switch. It will be myself-Sue, DH-Jeff and our 12 yr old son-Alec! We booked on board in June and Jeff wants to be Gold before the Mediterranean we have set for next June so we thought about Christmas with Disney would be something different, so here we are. We will cruise with all of you then head over to WDW and a short trip to see Harry Potter, too.
I think I will jump into the FE but I will think on it for a week or two more. I have so much stuff this Summer I don't want to disappoint anyone. I hope to get to know you guys on here and if anyone wants to set up a Facebook page just for our cruise, that will be fine by me. We did that with both our last cruises and the conversation flows a little easier there. But I'm up for whatever you choose.
Off to bed as we are headed down to So Cal tomorrow afternoon to get a quick visit in to MIL then off to Disneyland! Not sure if Alec will hang with Grandma and give us adult time in Disneyland or if he will be joining us. I'm sure it will get worked out on the drive down.
Later,
Sue
Grew up around Disneyland until I was silly enough to move away. Now make yearly (or more) trips from Nor Cal And now hoping to help others find their Paradise!
SueTGGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #22
SueTGGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward On Board View Post
Ohhh...if for some reason we get upgraded or our room assignment changes at the time of boarding, how will we let everyone know?

I saw another group organize their participants and it was brilliant! It's towards the beginning of the thread. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...extender+gifts
Wow talk about talented and organized but then it looked like it was for a Podcast Cruise, too!!
Typically in the other cruises, whoever is the organizer or keeper of the list, will get all updates on cabin numbers as we get closer to the sail away. The one cruise I did FE's for was crazy. We had a lot of people (35+ cabins) and some signed up and said they were participating and then did nothing. Some changed and didn't let anyone know. I think 10+ cabins added in the last few weeks. It was really frustrating. But the ones I have seen that ran smoothly had a FIRM cut off day, the organizer was at the meet up on the 1st day of the cruise and had any changes and also let everyone know that they would post changes on their stateroom door if they didn't make it to the meet-up.
Personally I printed out maps and had all the rooms marked. We passed out the gifts over the course of our cruise but with only being on board for 3 nights it will be interesting. If it is a small group it will be a piece of cake!
Talk to you next week!
Sue
Grew up around Disneyland until I was silly enough to move away. Now make yearly (or more) trips from Nor Cal And now hoping to help others find their Paradise!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #23
Ward On Board
Mouseketeer

I'm glad you and your family are joining us! I hope you all are having a great time at Disneyland. Thanks for the answers to my previous questions. I am also fine communicating with whatever suits the masses--here or Facebook are both great for me.

I hope you plan on participating in the FE. I've already got so many ideas!!!

Disney Dream December 2012
Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter December 2012
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside December 2013
Old 07-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #24
maidenfairy
If only I wasn't married and he wasn't gay.

5 months from today we will be setting sail! I'm so excited I can't wait!

Now what are some gift ideas out there? I'm thinking 1 per state room, but I'm not sure what.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #25
SueTGGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenfairy View Post
5 months from today we will be setting sail! I'm so excited I can't wait!

Now what are some gift ideas out there? I'm thinking 1 per state room, but I'm not sure what.
Last one we did I made magnets (not going to tell much more because I may use the same idea for this cruise). We did one for each person in the cabin and then a little goody bag for the cabin with candy and a deck of small cards with Disney themed games to play. We have been given all kinds of things. Some people will have things from where they are from (we got a bag of chips with Old Bay seasoning from people in MD) or have the kids help make something (cute foam cozies? for your soda or beer) and lots of stuff with a pirate theme like stickers or tattoos or travel coloring books. One cruise was in January, so I got a magnet made from Vista Print with a calendar on it for the year. Anyone else want to share?
Night all!
Sue
Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
Ward On Board
Mouseketeer

I have several ideas in mind, but cannot decide! Here are some of the ideas I have so far:
  • Disney themed Christmas ornament (I have seen several and LOVE them and hope others would love them as much as I do!)
  • Castaway Cay sand bottles
  • Handmade earrings
  • Bear necessitites kit (cute, but seems popular and don't want to repeat!!)
  • Scrapbook
  • Altered paint cans (SO Cute) to store gift in, but wondering if it will fit in the FE?
  • Personalized tote bags (hoping someone is talented enough to create these! )
  • Sewn crayon kits for the kids
  • Mickey morsels for the kids (baggie of M&M's with a cute topper)

I've got so many more ideas...I could go on and on and on!! I'm SO excited!!!

Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Ward On Board
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if the massages and pedicures on ship are worth the cost?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #28
Elaine Dragonlady
Mouseketeer

Red face

Hi Everybody - Sorry we've been away from the forum for such a long time, firstly vacation I have to say that if the cruise is as good as our 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy we are all in for a great time. Then we had loads of computer problems

First can I say Hi and Welcome from the Crowleys and the Lanzers to all those who have joined us recently.

We will definitely be doing the FE, we enjoyed it last time, even though I did 116 hand made gifts. I'm not saying what I did as I will be doing something similar this time. On that cruise they said it was up to you, you had to do at least one gift per cabin, but were free to do more if you wished to. They also split the list as it became clear what a big group it was going to be, but I had been making the gifts as people signed up, and as they were specifically for that cruise, we gave them out anyway. Quite alot of others did the same, we certainly received gifts from folk who weren't on our half of the list. I think the list was closed about 60 days before sailing.

That group also had a name - 'Fantasy becomes Reality'. It gives the group an identity and a talking point. So can I suggest we do the same. My idea would be 'The Dream Before Christmas'. Maybe you could all let me know if you like this idea, or any alternative suggestions you may have.

As for the FEs themselves, there were so many different ones on the Fantasy cruise. From the very simple - one family had just got four little zip up bags, wrote their names on with fabric pens, and attached them to a ribbon with a loop at the top to go over the fish - to the very complicated - ours. The pockets were hand embroidered with our names and a couple of little designs that told a bit about us. Bryan is a fanatical Manchester United supporter (Football or Soccer to our USA friends) and he had a player in MU strip and a club badge. You'll probably guess that I had a dragon, and also a lady in 13th Century costume, as I love Mediaeval history. Our younger daughter, Hannah, who won't be travelling this time, had the butterflies and rabbits she loves. I sewed the pockets onto a piece of Union Jack fabric. The one mistake I did make was making it a bit too wide - the space between the two doors is only about 9 inches.

My next job is making Elisa and Terry's (our daughter and son in law - Tink UK) I'm trying to find a piece of Stars and Stripes fabric to put with the Union Jack fabric I have left for the backing - she's English, he's American. They too may not be on the forum for a while - theyr'e both Cast Members at Disneyworld and of course are working alot of hours at the moment.

We'll it's just after 5am here in the UK, and tiredness is at last overcoming my insomnia, so I'll say goodnight to you all and look forward from hearing more from you.

Elaine XX
Elaine Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #29
smittledoggies
Earning My Ears

Hi there! We are sailing these dates too. Very excited for our first cruise! Also excited that we are cruising to watch my sister get married on the island!!! I'd like to get in on the FE fun if I may It's me (Nissa-27) and my hubby (Johnathon 28). We have quite a large group going for the wedding but we are the only ones so far to sign on for the FE group. Very nice to meet you all and I CANNOT wait until december!!!
smittledoggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
maidenfairy
If only I wasn't married and he wasn't gay.

Welcome! A wedding sounds like a great reason to cruise. Wish I had thought I that 11 years ago

What excursions are everyone doing? I haven't decided if we will do any in Nassau. Last cruise we went to the Blue Lagoon. It was very peaceful and calm, but we are thinking of just staying on ship this go around. I'd like to go to Atlantis but I don't think I can justify the cost for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: