Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #31
battymum
DIS Veteran

Oh yeah, Becpee - we were there Sept 16 - 24 last year - although the parks werent empty - (would have liked those castle shots without a crowd!! ) it was very light.

Each ride has its own switch back queuing area and these were all pretty much empty - I kept imagining how bad it must be to be there in July, when these lines are full and it is still hot and you pay peak price and no free dining -

It rains pretty much every day but you look at that storm brewing and cant wait for it to hit as it will cool things down.

September definitely has its positives!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #32
cola
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
We have 9 days? Is it enough? I can change it if I need to...
Do you want to do Universal? Wizarding World of Harry Potter is an absolute must do as far as I'm concerned, and I think Universal Islands of Adventure is a must do anyway, even before Harry Potter, and the Spiderman ride has just had a major update to graphics. Spiderman was still one of my favourites last time I went, even though it was looking a bit fuzzy. It's amazing with updates for technology how what is amazing at the turn of the century becomes fuzzy over the years.

I generally say for DisneyWorld you need one day for each park, and 2 more days for return visits, you need a rest day in there, and a day to check out the lobbies of all the resorts. I'm amazed at how many people don't bother to go for a walk on the Boardwalk area, most of it is food based, but still a lovely evening stroll. You need a day for outlet shopping. Downtown Disney can be included any day you feel up to it in the evening. So that is 9 days without Universal or anything else Orlando has to offer, with only one day outside of Disney (outlet shopping), though only 6 park days. If you have a Magic Your Way package of room and daily park tickets (which you need for free dining), you can do shorter days in the parks and won't need a total rest day, just a partial rest day. And that doesn't include any water parks!

Before WWOHP you could do both Universal parks in one day if you just went hard, but now you do need to allow a second day for both Universal parks, plus it means you can go back to WWOHP. Even if you aren't a Harry Potter fan, WWOHP is a must see.

I like Sea World on the Gold Coast more than the Orlando one.
Then there is Busch Gardens, Legoland, Kennedy Space Center (you get to go through Melbourne and send postcards back to anyone in Melbourne Victoria you know ) , the water parks, Discovery Cove, etc etc let alone any of the day trip distance local area (St Petersburg/Tampa, Daytona, St Augustine, etc)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #33
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
Do you want to do Universal? Wizarding World of Harry Potter is an absolute must do as far as I'm concerned, and I think Universal Islands of Adventure is a must do anyway, even before Harry Potter, and the Spiderman ride has just had a major update to graphics. Spiderman was still one of my favourites last time I went, even though it was looking a bit fuzzy. It's amazing with updates for technology how what is amazing at the turn of the century becomes fuzzy over the years.

I generally say for DisneyWorld you need one day for each park, and 2 more days for return visits, you need a rest day in there, and a day to check out the lobbies of all the resorts. I'm amazed at how many people don't bother to go for a walk on the Boardwalk area, most of it is food based, but still a lovely evening stroll. You need a day for outlet shopping. Downtown Disney can be included any day you feel up to it in the evening. So that is 9 days without Universal or anything else Orlando has to offer, with only one day outside of Disney (outlet shopping), though only 6 park days. If you have a Magic Your Way package of room and daily park tickets (which you need for free dining), you can do shorter days in the parks and won't need a total rest day, just a partial rest day. And that doesn't include any water parks!

Before WWOHP you could do both Universal parks in one day if you just went hard, but now you do need to allow a second day for both Universal parks, plus it means you can go back to WWOHP. Even if you aren't a Harry Potter fan, WWOHP is a must see.

I like Sea World on the Gold Coast more than the Orlando one.
Then there is Busch Gardens, Legoland, Kennedy Space Center (you get to go through Melbourne and send postcards back to anyone in Melbourne Victoria you know ) , the water parks, Discovery Cove, etc etc let alone any of the day trip distance local area (St Petersburg/Tampa, Daytona, St Augustine, etc)
Sorry, hijacking your thread WAMUMOF4

Cola, don't hate me, but i've never seen or read a Harry Potter, there I said it phew LOL

That said maybe it's something I need to do in the next few months

We'll have a few spare days before the cruise and after WDW for anything that we may have missed, shopping is high on our agenda.

DS and I may be visiting the parks a little on our own as well as DH wants to get in a couple of games of golf, the courses look great and he is very excited (he has taken next to no convincing).

Kennedy Space Centre is high on my agenda too, and I think DS5 will love it

Maybe I should do a PTR and stop hijacking...

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #34
cola
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Cola, don't hate me, but i've never seen or read a Harry Potter, there I said it phew LOL
Doesn't matter, I had seen a couple of the movies, but only once, would not call myself a fan. And I LOVED it, it is incredibly well done. I didn't get half of the nods to the books/movies, eg you go in the bathroom and there is some strange girly voice muttering, nothing of note, apparantly that is moaning Mona of something that haunts the bathroom, I totally missed what it was meant to be but someone explained it, didn't really make much difference to how wonderful I thought it all was. For the fans they were just beside themselves with every single little thing. You really don't need any Harry Potter background knowledge. There is only one new ride in the section (the others were existing rides that have been rethemed), watching the first movie would probably explain all you need to know to understand most of the features in the queue.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #35
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, hijacking your thread WAMUMOF4

That said maybe it's something I need to do in the next few months

We'll have a few spare days before the cruise and after WDW for anything that we may have missed, shopping is high on our agenda.

DS and I may be visiting the parks a little on our own as well as DH wants to get in a couple of games of golf, the courses look great and he is very excited (he has taken next to no convincing).

Kennedy Space Centre is high on my agenda too, and I think DS5 will love it

Maybe I should do a PTR and stop hijacking...
As far as i am concerned the more information the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
I totally understand your point about looking at your photos and thinking you had a better time than you did! I think thats where I am now.

But I think it would be better second time around -it would be less intense, I would schedule more downtime and if I was rerunning my trip I would schedule the cruise first to aclimatise to the time difference. I havent been to DL, but LA had no other appeal to me at the time - although now I realise there is plenty to see on the West Coast as well - would still want to do New York again though.

If only they had built that place somewhere with a more temperate climate - like Sydney!!!!
If they build one in Sydney im moving there

I hope the second time is better going into it with our eyes wide open helps i think, WDW will be the last thing we do so we should be well acclimatised by then. That is my only part about changing our trip i am not going to get much if any time if any in NY but thats just another reason to go back right.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #36
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

So tonight when DH rings i am going to hit him with Honey how about we change our dates and trip again
I am thinking i will change all our flights with the Qantas sale and that we will extend our trip by 10 days.
I already have to change DH and DS16 flights but last night when DH told me his fly out date when we get home i realised we would be home for 11 more days before he went back to work.

So i am thinking if he did not come for the first 2 weeks as originally planned and worked and then we flew home on the 16th of September instead we could go do the DCL Alaska cruise instead and the Vancouver to LA cruise which would mean a 13 day cruise on the Wonder instead.

It means no NY, WDW or Washington but we did decide yesterday that dependent on a lot of things ($$) we will be planning on going over for Christmas in 2013
Am I crazy to change our itinerary again? Once i pay for change fees thats it all done there will be no going back
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #37
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

No..... you are not crazy! Make the change I say!

Gosh, another 10 days away Do it
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #38
battymum
DIS Veteran

OMG - I cant keep up!

So you land in LA, spend a couple of days at DLR - then head mid west for speedway - then back to Vancouver, (I had to check the map, I thought Vancouver was on East Coast) cruise for 13 days ending up back in LA.

But yeah if you have no commitments when you get home for 11 days (you homeschool right?)- why not !

Last edited by battymum; 03-20-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: I had to look at a map!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #39
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
No..... you are not crazy! Make the change I say!

Gosh, another 10 days away Do it
thats what im thinking except i will loose 2 days in DL at the start of the trip will only have 14 instead of 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
OMG - I cant keep up!

So you land in LA drive across the country, cruise from Vancouver back to LA

But yeah if you have no commitments when you get home for 11 days (you homeschool right?)- why not !
I cant keep up either
At the moment we land in DFW fly to LA back TO DFW do the trip fly out of DFW

New plan would be fly in to LAX then fly to DFW after DL do Knoxville drive to Seattle via Mt Rushmore etc do the cruise back to LA and fly out of LAX
so therefore cutting out WDW NY and Washington.

I will loose the money for my flight from DFW to LAX but so be it.
If i buy with this sale i am looking at $1700 change over fees but i figure 10 days is worth it right

I guess this is what happens when you decide in 5 mins to jump on a sale fare without any real thought to your trip
Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #40
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

The change sounds like a good plan to me . And then as you say you can save the East Coast for a seperate trip in 2013.
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Oct 2014 - First trip to WDW
2015 - Planning to head to the UK
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #41
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Well the flights are sort of changed DS16 is now flying in to LA on his own DH will drop him at the airport and i will pick him up at the other end I must of had an insane moment but its done and i am not changing again.

I am feeling really right now and i know i shouldn't be but the kids now know, no surprise, my cordless phone went flat and i had to call back on the normal phone i sent them out side but DH16 knew something was up and refused whilst i was on the phone to Qantas he worked it out i couldn't talk in code the whole call

So my kids are now bouncing around the house all excited and asking me about who knew and cant beleive no one told them this whole time now to explain to DH how i messed up and had to call Qantas and ruin the kids surprise.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #42
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

WAMUMOF4 - firstly that is great news that you are getting extra days and a little lost money on flights is definitely worth it.

Now DO NOT BE SAD that the kids now know. Just think of all of the exciting times ahead, talking about all of the amazing things you will see and do. They will love being a part of the planning and it brings joy into your whole families lives even longer.

Congratulations!!!!!

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #43
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
WAMUMOF4 - firstly that is great news that you are getting extra days and a little lost money on flights is definitely worth it.

Now DO NOT BE SAD that the kids now know. Just think of all of the exciting times ahead, talking about all of the amazing things you will see and do. They will love being a part of the planning and it brings joy into your whole families lives even longer.

Congratulations!!!!!
Thanks the kids are still bouncing around the house asking questions a hundred mile a minute are we going here are we doing this
I just had the surprise all planned in my head you know how it is

They are horrified that we were not going to tell them and wanting to know how they were suppose to save there spending money.

You would never guess that the first ? was are we going to DL or WDW

I just booked the Alaska cruise I actually got one of the secret porthole rooms Will call up tonight and get DCL to transfer my deposit over.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #44
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Well there you go, you would've missed out on all of that excitement and the excitement to come if they hadn't accidentally found out.

The secret porthole cabin sounds cool.

I want to do an Alaskan cruise with my DH when the kids are older and don't need to come. I doubt whether I'd be able to convince him to go on a Disney one but you never know.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #45
Queequeg
Earning My Ears

Disney cruises are the very best.
Queequeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: