Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
queenreen
Mouseketeer

Fear of Heights and Parasailing

So my DD would love to do the Parasailing at CC. I however am afraid of heights, as well as being "pooh sized" Anyone else on the larger side or someone that shares my fear done this?

TIA
Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You should check on the weight restrictions. I am assuming you are wanting to parasail tandem with your daughter. I'm afraid I can't possibly image that a person with a fear of heights might enjoy parasailing.
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

This is so the question for me. I have a HUGE fear of heights. I can't even look down from the second floor to the floor below at our mall. That bad!!!! I have no idea what made me book the parasailing at CC back in 2002 but I did. I was so scared thinking about it before the cruise and during the cruise. I was scared getting into the boat. But, I had a great time. It was wonderful and fun. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! At the time I was somewhat "Pooh sized".
jiminyC_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I have a fear of heights well its more a fear of falling, i've done parasailing at WDW and it was wonderful.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
miry
Mouseketeer

I haven't done it at Castaway Cay, but we did do parasailing in Cabo San Lucas in December. My son is 13 and really wanted to go, I am - or maybe was is a better way of saying it - scared of heights. I would consider myself pooh sized (240 lbs). We were able to go tandem and had a great time, the way you come on and off the boat is so easy and the flight itself was an amazing experience. I felt like I was a kite. I would definitely recommend it!

Disneyland 1978 Disneyland 1982 Disneyland 2002 Disneyland 2003 Polynesian 2005 All Star Movies 2006 Disneyland 2007 Port Orleans Riverside 2008 Wonder Bahamas 2008 Caribbean Beach 2009 Pop Century 2010 Magic Western Caribbean 2010 Disneyland 2011 Wonder Mexican Riviera 2011 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 2012
miry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
Onkel Hans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenreen View Post
So my DD would love to do the Parasailing at CC. I however am afraid of heights, as well as being "pooh sized" Anyone else on the larger side or someone that shares my fear done this?

TIA
I found that the calm, easy, professional and sometimes comedic way that the vendor worked kept worries to a minimum. You are pretty much kept busy from the moment you put the harness on, so before you know it you are flying and you're bummed because it is time to come down. Just listen to the workers, and don't try to hold yourself up with your arms--let the equipment do the work.

As for weight, the heavier the better, I think. As I understand it, the lighter-weight people are harder to control, more-so in high winds. I have never seen a maximum weight posted, and for reference they can take up two adults at a time so it must be a pretty good maximum weight.
Onkel Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
tink,too
DIS Veteran

My DH has a fear of heights, but has been parasailing 3 times now (twice at Castaway Cay & once whilst on holiday to Tenerife).

We have also been on a balloon flight and have done the Characters in Flight experience at Disneyland Paris.

I can't explain why, but DH just said they are different from other "at height" things - maybe because he felt like he was floating, instead of being static.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
wrongwayfeldman
Earning My Ears

My first and only parasailing experience was when I was at my heaviest, which was about 285 pounds. Definitely Pooh sized. I've also been very nervous about heights, but not petrified. I love to fly, and I enjoy going up to high places and looking "out" at the view, but looking down always gives me chills and a tingly feeling in the back of my legs. That being said, I also booked parasailing because it's just something I've always wanted to do. So I did it. Just like someone posted above, the instructor keeps you so preoccupied with all the small talk that you hardly have a chance to be scared. I went in tandem with a friend that was only about a hundred pounds, and we were side by side. You would have thought we weighed the same...the contraption didn't tilt to one side like I feared it might, and I fit in the harness just fine. We didn't have much instruction about how to "hold on" so I ended up gripping the bars pretty tightly, but I didn't need to. The harness definitely holds you up. Once I was up there and looked down, I felt a little nervous, but then I just told myself to go for it, and enjoy the ride. I loved every minute of it and was very disappointed when it was over. I'm planning on going again at Castaway Cay on our summer cruise.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
AmandaRG
Addict-in-training for all things Disney!

I was looking into it this morning. One of our servers on our last cruise posted pics from his parasailing experience. Even though I am nervous about heights, it is something I might want to try out. Talk about an amazing view!!!

The weight restriction is a max of 375 lbs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: