Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #2986
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Carthay's World Premiere by KC MikeD, on Flickr

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #2987
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post

i saw this guy in NOLA a couple of months ago! there was another guy, a couple of blocks down, painted silver, doing a robot thing. i gave him a dollar, got a little too close, and he kissed me right on the lips! ACK!
Was this the robot guy????

Mr. Roboto by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #2988
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrisonS View Post
Thanks!!!! My fascination for street photography is what drove me to do the whole 'human element' series.
I may contact you to ask for pointers. I am fascinated by people and have had a longing to get into street photography for years - since even before I really got interested in photography. I went out this afternoon with the intention of hitting the city center with my camera but I feel too nervous to stroll around on my own with a camera and I don't actually know where to start or how to tackle it

Quote:
Great shot!!!! And love the treatment.
Thank you After fighting with this image a few times over the month, I thought it actually looks better with the color saturation almost completely removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_<3 View Post
Gorgeous shot
Thank you Laura

Quote:
Was this the robot guy????

Mr. Roboto by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr
If it is, now we all know who kissed her

That's a really cool capture. I love that you took the shot from behind him, not with him facing the lens
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #2989
2Tiggies

Glasgow Quay by 2Tiggies, on Flickr
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 AM   #2990
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Portrait of a Predator (6) by traylorc, on Flickr
Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #2991
dcg0317
DIS Veteran

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse Bristol Maine
Old 03-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #2993
2Tiggies

TraylorC, that's another great one! The definition and detail in there is incredible!

mom2rtk, I'm lovin' your Disney on Ice photos! Had you ever photographed a show like that before? I sometimes need a kick up the confidence box, lol and shy away from things I think I can't do - shows being amongst them.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #2994
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post

I may contact you to ask for pointers. I am fascinated by people and have had a longing to get into street photography for years - since even before I really got interested in photography. I went out this afternoon with the intention of hitting the city center with my camera but I feel too nervous to stroll around on my own with a camera and I don't actually know where to start or how to tackle it

Thank you After fighting with this image a few times over the month, I thought it actually looks better with the color saturation almost completely removed

Thank you Laura

If it is, now we all know who kissed her

That's a really cool capture. I love that you took the shot from behind him, not with him facing the lens
Feel free to ask away!!!

And for one pointer, shooting from behind someone is good for a few reasons. You don't look like you're blatantly taking a picture of the person. You won't have as big a fear of taking these types of pictures. The person won't react or move out of the way (they might think you're shooting something else). And you can capture what their attention is focused on.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #2995
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
mom2rtk, I'm lovin' your Disney on Ice photos! Had you ever photographed a show like that before? I sometimes need a kick up the confidence box, lol and shy away from things I think I can't do - shows being amongst them.
Thanks 2tiggies!

We go to Disney on Ice most years, but that's about the only show I get to shoot. Even so, the hardest part seems to be just finding a way to get my dang camera into the show with me!

The trick really is to adjust the metering and exposure compensation properly. That venue is completely dark except for the skaters who are very brightly lit by spots. I started with spot metering but it was hard to keep that consistent since the subjects move so fast. So I went with center weighted metering plus a LOT of negative exposure compensation. Even then, I kept ending up with some scenes more brightly lit than others.

Honestly though, it was fun to try to figure out the best way to get the shots.

They post out front at this arena that they won't allow cameras with interchangeable lenses, but I took in my DLSR with a nifty fifty lens, so it was small enough to pass through. It's funny but I have now deemed this my "Disney on Ice" lens because it only comes out this one time every year.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #2996
2Tiggies

Quote:
Feel free to ask away!!!

And for one pointer, shooting from behind someone is good for a few reasons. You don't look like you're blatantly taking a picture of the person. You won't have as big a fear of taking these types of pictures. The person won't react or move out of the way (they might think you're shooting something else). And you can capture what their attention is focused on.
Thanks for that. I know that I need to just go do it once to feel more confident about it. That seems to be my biggest hurdle at times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Thanks 2tiggies!

We go to Disney on Ice most years, but that's about the only show I get to shoot. Even so, the hardest part seems to be just finding a way to get my dang camera into the show with me!

They post out front at this arena that they won't allow cameras with interchangeable lenses, but I took in my DLSR with a nifty fifty lens, so it was small enough to pass through. It's funny but I have now deemed this my "Disney on Ice" lens because it only comes out this one time every year.
So the smuggling is part of the appeal So did you use the 50 mm exclusively for this? That must have an effect on where you are able to sit, I'm guessing, since you have a fixed focal length?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #2997
2Tiggies

Lights on the water by 2Tiggies, on Flickr
Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #2998
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

^^^Gorgeous reflections in that shot 2Tiggies!

Quote:

So the smuggling is part of the appeal So did you use the 50 mm exclusively for this? That must have an effect on where you are able to sit, I'm guessing, since you have a fixed focal length?
Well, I decided this year I was tired of playing games and trying to smuggle it in. So I actually called the arena ahead of time and was told not to worry that all cameras were welcome for this event. I quizzed her up one side and down the other but was reassured it would be fine. I was skeptical so I threw in the nifty fifty in case smuggling was still necessary. Well, I got to the gate and was told I couldn't bring in my camera as promised. Sigh. I had to trek back out to the car to stow my bigger lens and swap to the 50. So yes, the 50 was all I had inside with me.

I had bought the tickets last July when they first went on sale so didn't even remember where we would be sitting. We actually were just 5 rows back so that 50mm length was very tight for anything on our side of the rink. But the action is all over the place so I cropped down a number of shots from across the rink to get the framing I wanted.

Here's one for today:

IMG_8433 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #2999
Scottwdw
PS Wizard

Field Lacrosse by Scottwdw
Disney Photoblog: Picture This!

Webmaster of the Planning Strategy (PS) Calculator for Disney Reservations
Proud Disney World Visitor Since 1983
Sorcerer of the PS Calculator
Keeper of the PS FAQ
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #3000
Hockeyman
It's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote:
Great shots Tiggie

WDW Annual pass holder - going since before I could even walk

On Site-Contemporary-Wilderness Lodge-POFQ-POR-Dolphin-All Star Sports-Pop-CBR-ASM

Universal Orlando Annual Pass holder since 2000
On Site-Hard Rock-Portofino Bay-Royal Pacific

Busch Gardens / Seaworld Annual Pass holder since 2007
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: