Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Hillbillies head South! March 2-11, 2012 COMPLETED 6/26

Hi all!! The days are not that many now, so it's time to get this PTR going!!

What: Family/Friends trip to WDW

When: March 2-10/11, 2012

Who: Fourteen total at our highest!!

So, first, the cast. We have 5 mini "groups" within our large group. The guys are total hillbillies and will be using CB's on our drive down (more on that later), so we've all been given handles. I'll include our handles here and then use them from now on!

There's us - me (Ariel), DH-Lotso (both in our 30's), DS-Woody (9) and DD-Tink (will be 8 the day before we leave!)

Next - my sister (Beast - don't ASK!) and her boyfriend (Prince Charming) (in their 20's)

These 2 groups went to Disney last March together as well. Here we are:

For my family of 4, this is our 4th family trip (2007, 2009, 2011). I also went 2 times as a child and once to Disneyland, DH had never been.

My sister went twice as a child also (only 1 of our trips overlapped, we're 10 years apart) and then again last year. Last year her boyfriend was a newbie!!!

The other groups traveling:

DSIL (Cruella, again, don't ask!), DBIL (Grumpy) and DNephew (Nemo) (5). DSIL went a few times as a child, last February was the first trip for DBIL and DNephew.

Our friends - K (Sleeping Beauty), H (Eeyore) and their children, N (Pooh Bear-9) and K (Buzz-6)

Also joining us at the beginning of the trip will be my MIL. She's already in Florida for the winter (Ft. Myers) and will be driving up to meet us on March 3rd, likely staying until March 6th. She only has a room for 2 nights, but may just stay with BIL/SIL the 3rd night and leave in the morning. She doesn't have a handle since she's not part of the "caravan", so we'll just call her MIL!

So that's the group....Where are we staying?? What are the plans?? Most importantly - where are we eating???? Stay tuned!!

Previous trips as a child/teen: FW 1985, offsite 1991, Disneyland 1992
Family trips: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 - all at the Poly!

Last edited by sandym718; 06-26-2012 at 08:58 PM.
sandym718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Lidian
DIS Veteran

FIRST! I'm totally in!

May 2011 3rd Visit Surprise! (PTR) ~*~*~ May 2011: Year of the Surprises! (TR)
March 2012: Spring Break, Here we come! (PTR) ~*~*~ March 2012: The Year I Survived Spring Break! (TR)

Lidian is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

YAY, I'm second!!!

You have CB's?? That is AWESOME!!! Our family had a CB radio when we took road trips as a kid. We thought is was sooooo cool! Can't wait to learn more about you, Sandy (aka Ariel)!
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

Well third is not a bad place to be, at least I am still on page one.

Can't wait to read more.
Corrine 1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Fine... I'll take 4th...

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
mblc14
Mouseketeer

I'm in 5th and ready to hear all your plans!

DisDads Member #542
2007 Pop Century Christmas
2012 Bay Lake Tower Spring Break
March 2012 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post44424786
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2872355 March 2012 PTR
Dec. 2014 PTR (in progress)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3257258
mblc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
sandym718
DIS Veteran

More coming tomorrow!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
newtexan
DIS Veteran

waiting for more to read...

newtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Sorry to keep everyone waiting!! Busy day yesterday. Hopefully I can do a couple updates today!!

Before I get more into our trip plans, I'll tell you a little more about us:

We live on DH's family farm in Northeast Ohio, about half hour outside of Cleveland. Grumpy, Cruella and Nemo live next door and MIL lives across the street, down the road a bit. DH has another brother who is single and temporarily living with MIL (actually has the house to himself now since she's in FL). We have begged him to come along for part of the trip (he's a teacher so the whole thing would be impossible), but no dice. He'll be monitoring the "compound" (Cruella says we're like the Kennedy's but without the money) and taking care of Nemo's puppy!

Eeyore, Sleeping Beauty, Pooh Bear and Buzz live about 15 minutes away. Lotso, Grumpy and Cruella have known Eeyore and Sleeping Beauty for many, many years - they all grew up around here and went to school together, etc. I've been part of the "pack" for almost 15 years, married for 12 1/2. Actually March 8th will be the 15 year "anniversary" of when Lotso and I met (blind date!!) and we can celebrate in Disney!!!

Soooo...the boys are part-time farmers with full-time regular jobs. They grow corn and soybeans, mostly, alfalfa too. This was a working Dairy Farm until 2000, when FIL partially retired to just grain farming. The boys always helped out and when he passed away in 2005, they took that over.

They've long had a love of CB's, which is so weird to me. Haven't used them in MANY years (good female influence). They insist on using them for the drive down, even though we tried to persuade to just use hands-free calling instead!! Sleeping Beauty, Beast and I all have it right in our cars, but Grumpy/Cruella do not and they don't want to do that anyway!! Beast and Prince Charming do not have a CB (lucky them), they're NOT hillbillies, LOL, so we'll be updating them via cell.

I guess that's about it....now onto the trip!!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
sandym718
DIS Veteran

How the trip began:
This started last March/April. Grumpy and family went for the first time last February and fell in love (of course). We went for the 3rd time in late March and Beast/Prince Charming joined us. When we got back, Grumpy and Eeyore had started conspiring about a group trip and so this trip was born.

Also around this time, MIL announced that she was staying in Florida for 3 months this winter (as opposed to only 2 last year). Tink was a little upset - her birthday is March 1st and MIL leaves Ohio after Christmas, so she knew she wouldn't be back for her birthday. They are very close (though MIL and I are not, BTW), Tink is the first girl to be born into this family in 70 years. FIL had an older sister, and they had 3 boys apiece. Tink was born and it was like Hallelujah, a girl!!! MIL told all the nurses at the hospital, who couldn't care less. So originally MIL was talking about flying home for Tink's bday, which, really, there was no need. But then the trip planning started and we figured she'd just come up and meet us for awhile and we'd celebrate Tink's bday. Because of work/school concerns, we couldn't be there on her actual birthday, but we leave early the day after!

So from April-December, the trip was our 3 families, plus MIL for a few days. We kept pestering Beast and Prince Charming to go as well, but Beast really wanted to do the beach this summer and has a hard time getting off of work. Prince Charming was 100% on board, he just had a magical first trip last year! At Thanksgiving, they started talking about it a little more and really wanted to join us. At our house on Christmas night, they made up their minds and decided to join us!! Beast got permission from work that week and they booked - they had a pin code, lucky them!!

I should also let you know that this trip planning has been serious business. We have had many "meetings" to discuss. Basically, these are all just an excuse to get together and eat and drink ourselves silly while the kids play. But we do get some "work" accomplished occassionally There are 2 final meetings scheduled - this Saturday at Grumpy/Cruella's where we'll also be celebrating Valentine's Day and Grumpy and Prince Charming's birthdays. And then on 2/25, which is actually Tink's family birthday party so we'll have extra guests, and we'll be celebrating Eeyore's bday as well. There are actually 2 meetings that day. The guys all have one in the morning with the traveling vehicles. Eeyore and Grumpy work at the same place, a supply company, and have booked a warehouse for the morning. All oil will be changed, tires rotated, fluid levels checked, interior and exteriors cleaned. Glad they're doing it, but they have been warned to expect very messy interiors upon return!!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

WOW! What a caravan you will have going down! Sounds like the circus is coming to town! This is an exciting story unfolding...
oopsiDAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
sandym718
DIS Veteran

One last quick update before I have to run errands!!

WHERE:
Well, the where has changed a few times...for the rest of the group. Lotso and I let everyone know early on that we'd be at the Poly for sure!! It's our home away from home and we can't imagine staying anywhere else. Though this recent pool slide/possible pool closure made us wonder for a few minutes, but no, we're sticking with it!! Here's a few pics from last year:

and let's hope it doesn't look like this:

We even have a very specific request: Tokelau building, first floor, east side. We have always stayed over here (west side last time) and it's just perfect for us. Centrally located, quiet, nice grassy area off the patio. Just wonderful!

Eeyore's family started out at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Savannah view. And Grumpy's family started out at POR ( I think, there may have been somewhere before that, but it was that way for a long time). They loved BLT last time, but wanted to go a little cheaper. MIL was originally booked also at POR, for 3 nights in the middle of our trip. We all booked with Free Dining, hoping for better room discounts.

Well, those never really came. We stayed put, but in November/December, the resort switching started. Eeyore's family decided they wanted to be on the monorail, looked for BLT 1 BR, but no dice, so they moved to the Poly. Then Grumpy and Cruella had a long discussion about wanting to go back at Christmas time for the lights and maybe they should just do it this year.....they ended up dropping FD, getting annual passes and switching to the Poly as well!!!

MIL... what to do. She didn't want to spend more money. But we knew she'd have issues being over at POR all alone. She gets lost easily and we didn't want to always be rescuing her. We also had great concerns with her coming up on Tuesday. Originally, her SIL (whom she's sharing the house with in Ft. Myers) was coming up as well, but she decided not to. So she'll be making the drive herself and we are quite sure, will get lost in the Orlando area. Cruella and I really didn't want our Tuesday park time with one of the guys having to go find her. So, we talked MIL into switching to the Poly, but for only 2 nights at the Beginning of our trip!! So we'll all arrive on Saturday, 3/3. We hope to stay offsite in Orlando the night before (more on that later) and OUR family will not do any parks on the 3rd until dinner time. So if she needs rescued, Lotso can go rescue her. Also, she won't need to do any driving or bus rides while on property. We'll have the monorail and she can ride with one of us elsewhere. She does have mobility issues and we will be getting a scooter as well. She may stay an additional night in Grumpy/Cruella's room, again, more on that later. The other positive to her coming earlier is that our itinerary is more concrete at the beginning and we'll be going where she wants to go. Later in the week, it's more flexible, more about hitting the faves, etc. None of us wanted to feel guilted into taking her somewhere instead of where we wanted to go. We're all paying a lot of $$$$$!!!

Finally - Beast and Prince Charming. They'll be at CSR,where they stayed last time. They loved it. They looked into the POLY, but even with their PIN, it's so pricey. They need to save for a wedding and a house yet! Last trip they didn't have a car, though, they flew down for a wedding in Daytona and rented a car just for that one night. We picked them up sometimes and they used the bus other times. This time they'll be driving more and often meeting us at the POLY.
One CSR pool pic from last trip!

So that's the WHERE - 12 of us at the POLY, 2 at CSR!!

Coming up next, maybe later today: General trip plans!!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiDAISY View Post
WOW! What a caravan you will have going down! Sounds like the circus is coming to town! This is an exciting story unfolding...
Oh yes, Disney will never be the same after we hit!!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
newtexan
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you all have done some serious planning parties!

newtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
sandym718
DIS Veteran

Time for another update!!!

Before I start with our individual day plans, let's talk about some general stuff.

First, as you already know, we're driving down. For many reasons. For everyone else the biggest reason is $$$. For our family...Lotso doesn't fly. The last time he flew (and the only time with me) was 1997 when we went to Cancun. He wasn't thrilled about it and then we had a horrible flight down there and that was it. I didn't even know if I'd get him on a plane home!!! Luckily, I did, but never again!! So my kids are expert car travelers - this will be time #4 to Disney, we've been to various beaches on the East coast many times too. All I can say is, thank goodness for portable DVD players!!!!

Second, we will all be on the regular DDP for this trip. Our family and Eeyore's have the free plan. Beast and Prince Charming added it to their PIN code package. Grumpy's family and MIL booked their rooms with Annual Pass discount and have added it. MIL only has it for 2 nights, so on Monday she'll be paying OOP.

What else??? I'm sure there's more I'll think of, but I guess I'll just cover those as we come to it.

Oh, we do have a "meeting" tonight! DH has been salting/plowing snow since 7:30 last night and it's still snowing. So he'll probably be either sleeping or back out plowing/cleaning up by then. Looks like he'll miss this one. we're mostly just celebrating Grumpy's (2/9) and Prince Charming's (2/15) birthdays, but there are a few things on the agenda:

1) Scooter rental for MIL. We have to decide on this and get one reserved.

2) Narrowing down Orlando hotels to a few that we can look to book on the way down (more on this in Day One!)

3) Menu reviews - by request of Pooh Bear. He wants to look through the menus on All Ears!

Coming up next: Departure Day!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: