Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
disneymom1
Mouseketeer

Port Orleans Riverside Room Location Request

I would like to be in Magnolia Bend rather than Alligator Bayou.

Has anyone had success requesting and getting the section they wanted?

Has anyone requested a certain section of the resort and not gotten the section they wanted?
disneymom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
WL Lover
12 Time Disneyer!!

Lightbulb

Last summer we stayed in Magnolia Terrace and were downstairs. We just requested MT, but no special views, since we aren't in the room enough. But for us being downstairs and close to the pathways to the lobby, main pool, and bus stop was very helpful. We also prefer the Mansions, so I would say request either Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House (preferably MT). For us views aren't worth the extra money, all that matters is how close you are to the places you need to get to. Magnolia Terrace is a beautiful location and I am sure you will enjoy it! When booking and checking in I would make sure to request a building, it will double your chances of getting the building/room you want. When we do this it always seems to work out to our advantage. Wishing you the best of luck!

DD14 ME DH DDog
WL Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
disneymomtotwins
disneymomtotwins

On our trip back in Oct'10 we had requested to be in Mansion section, had it noted on our reservation and even asked upon checkin but we ended up in lodge 38 AB section. We still had a fantastic vacation.

2014 Sept/Oct All Star Sports-Preferred w/Free QS

2013 Nov Pop Century-Preferred Pool w/Free QS Dining

2012 March Pop Century-Standard Pool w/Free QS Dining

2010 Oct Port Orleans Riverside-Standard w/Free Dining

2009 Mar-Apr offsite house rental Somerset,Remington
disneymomtotwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

There are only two sections in POR - Magnolia Bend (mansions) and AB.

If you are a family of 5, you are guaranteed to be in AB.

If you book preferred room, you are guaranteed to be in AB.

If you book RR, you are guaranteed to be in one of two buildings in Magnolia Bend.

After that, you will request being in the mansions.

That being said, I have always requested being in the Mansions and always get it. It is best to request Mansions, rather than a specific building. That broadens your request.

At check-in, if you are given a room in AB, reiterate your requests to the CM and tell them you don't mind waiting for an available room in the mansions. With the new computer system, the CM is now looking at the first available room. Sometimes the room assigner does locate you in a different section, but the CM may be able to give you a room later in the day that is available in the area you wish to stay in. That is depending on how busy they are, they may/may not be able to do so.

As the PP stated, you can still end up in AB and have a wonderful time. With the refurbishments, the rooms in AB are no longer as "rustic" as they used to be and are actually quite nice, just as nice as the mansions to be specific. That is one of the reasons why most people specifically say they want to be in the mansions, but IMHO it is now a moot point.

I would stay at either section.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.

Last edited by Missytara; 02-13-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I've stayed at POR twice and requested mansions both times and received it with no problem. I'll be interested to see if people have trouble getting in the mansions now since two of the mansion buildings have since been converted to royal rooms, leaving the mansion inventory smaller for regular rooms. The only way to be guaranteed a mansion room is to book a royal room, as PP said.

I was never a fan of the AB decor which is why I requested the mansions but after seeing the AB refurbishments, I may request AB next time. A little more drastic of a change than the mansions, IMO, and I actually like the look now.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I've stayed at POR twice and requested mansions both times and received it with no problem. I'll be interested to see if people have trouble getting in the mansions now since two of the mansion buildings have since been converted to royal rooms, leaving the mansion inventory smaller for regular rooms. The only way to be guaranteed a mansion room is to book a royal room, as PP said.

I was never a fan of the AB decor which is why I requested the mansions but after seeing the AB refurbishments, I may request AB next time. A little more drastic of a change than the mansions, IMO, and I actually like the look now.
I am thinking now that they had no choice but "UP" the ante at the AB section, due to taking so many mansion rooms out of inventory with the RR.

They had no choice but to make them look less rustic. Many of my friends and family have joined me and we have specifically set up the rooms so we were guaranteed to get in the mansions section. Last year, we booked the five year old in my room, to avoid being a family of 5, just so we didn't get in AB. Now after the refurb, I wouldn't mind staying in that section. I always loved the buildings and the lush landscaping, but hated the room decor. I think most people did.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Never had a problem getting the mansions. We have stayed at POR about 12 times. I think it is because the families with 5 people have to stay at AB. The only time we stayed ay AB was the 1st time we stayed at Dixie Landings about 20 yrs ago. We didn't know any better. But we have never had a bad room at POR! Love it! We will be there in 16 days!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We've had 3 stays at POR and prefer Mansion section too. I'd request either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace near quiet pool and Old Man Island Bridge.
The quiet pool & bridge is between the 2 buildings, and an excellent location IMO, the main pool is just over the bridge, and a short walk from there to food court, and main building.
You will be very close to either the North or East bus stop too.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
camandjacksmom
Mouseketeer

Just got back on friday and got all my requests. We stayed in AB family of 4, got a free pool view upgrade and the room number we wanted. They offered us a mansion room that had been renovated first but we said no thanks and that we would wait for AB. Its all preference but the mansions feel like Im in a motel while AB is more secluded and to us a little more quiet. You should have no problem getting what you want IF your willing to wait....

Me : DH DS(15) DS (11)

October 2014-TBD and Girls Cruise!!!January 2014-POR,January 2013-POR,September 2012-POR,February 2012- POR,June 2011-POR,October 2010- Off Site,January 2010- Off Site,June 2009-Disneyland,January 2009-Off Site,December 2008- Off Site,Dec 2007-Off Site,June 2001- Disneyland, May 2001- Fort Wilderness, Dec 1998-Disneyland
camandjacksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
kristie73
Mouseketeer

We booked a garden view room. I requested Magnolia Terrace or Oak Manor. That was before I realized all Royal Rooms are in Oak Manor. 36 more days and I'll find out what we get. We are a family of 4 and I just liked the look of the mansions better plus I wanted to be somewhat close to the pool and food court. I didn't request a floor, but wonder if we would prefer ground floor or what? I didn't want to sound too picky on my requests, so we shall see.

DH , ME , DS9 , DS5
Disneyland - Stayed at Best Western Park Place Inn, Oct 2012
Disney World - Stayed at POR for our first trip, March 21-27 2012!
Disneyland - Stayed at Disneyland Hotel, July 2010
Disneyland - Stayed at the Best Western Park Place Inn, November 2006
kristie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
HugsForEeyore
Heck with the rides, give me some rare characters!
Oh well, not much we can do - the onion already took over the world

Arrow I am the opposite - I want AB!

I am the opposite of everyone on this thread - I would LOVE to stay in Alligator Bayou, but can never get it. I like the woodsy paths and vegetation, and I am a big WL fan, so AB really appeals to me (and my budget). But on 2 different trips I requested AB, but nope, denied flat. I got almost the same room instead on both trips - a far back parking-lot-view room in mansion Parterre Place. Felt left out totally from the vibe of the resort. I hated that location, and then to get it twice - ugh. I quit staying at POR because of it.

But now with AB being a preferred location, I may try it again. I never make room requests since I am convinced they are never seen beforehand and the computer assigns the room (at least that has clearly been my experience). But if I can pay for AB to guarentee it, I would start considering POR for my next trip.

My fear is that some mansion rooms will become preferred too, and then AB wouldn't be guarenteed anymore.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugsForEeyore View Post
I am the opposite of everyone on this thread - I would LOVE to stay in Alligator Bayou, but can never get it. I like the woodsy paths and vegetation, and I am a big WL fan, so AB really appeals to me (and my budget). But on 2 different trips I requested AB, but nope, denied flat. I got almost the same room instead on both trips - a far back parking-lot-view room in mansion Parterre Place. Felt left out totally from the vibe of the resort. I hated that location, and then to get it twice - ugh. I quit staying at POR because of it.

But now with AB being a preferred location, I may try it again. I never make room requests since I am convinced they are never seen beforehand and the computer assigns the room (at least that has clearly been my experience). But if I can pay for AB to guarentee it, I would start considering POR for my next trip.

My fear is that some mansion rooms will become preferred too, and then AB wouldn't be guarenteed anymore.
I doubt you will see the mansions become preferred as well as AB. They have taken so many rooms out of inventory (half) for RR rooms. They wouldn't want to make them preferred.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

On this past trip we didnt arrive at por till around 11 pm. I politely asked if there were any rooms available inn magnolia bend. To my surprise there was. Best locstion ever. Close to everything. Goodluck. Either way youll have a great time

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #14
HugsForEeyore
Heck with the rides, give me some rare characters!
Oh well, not much we can do - the onion already took over the world

Red face AB preferred rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I doubt you will see the mansions become preferred as well as AB. They have taken so many rooms out of inventory (half) for RR rooms. They wouldn't want to make them preferred.
Yeah!! That's great news to me! Maybe someday I will experience AB after all! There is hope!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
DAZY3BYZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugsForEeyore View Post

I'm with you! We have always stayed AB because we are a family of 5 but even if we weren't, we much prefer AB. The mansion section is just not us. We love the relaxed, rustic nature of AB and all the beautiful landscaping and vegetation. I hope you get to stay there someday. We love it!

1999-ALL Star-sports; 2003- POR; 2004- POR; 2006 POR-POLY; 2007 POLY; 2009 POR-BC; 2010 POR-AKL
DAZY3BYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: