Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
mariezp
DIS Veteran

I am so excited!!!!! I finally have some more comments! You all probably have no idea how much I appreciate when someone speaks up! It certainly does make me more enthusiastic about posting more to my trip report. So, just as soon as I make a few responses I will be sure to post another day so you will have more to read. Thanks again folks for coming out of "lurker" status and letting me know you are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaera View Post
I'm reading too and enjoying your trip report.
Keep up the good work!
Thank you Seaera! Glad you are enjoying reading along. Hope you stay with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupikgal View Post
Ok, I need to chime in here..I am really enjoying your TR!! Your pictures are amazing and interesting and you captured a lot of things that I haven't seen before, or at least at that angle. Great job! What type of camera do you shoot with? I am excited reading your report, as I will be there in about 10 days! I love all the rides you were on with your daughter, I stay away from Screamin', TOT, and most other "scary" rides! I look forward to reading more...
Thank you yupikgal! If I had a decent memory myself I would probably end up with even more good pictures. Unfortunately, it usually takes me a couple days of experimenting with settings on my camera again to finally end up with some decent shots. I don't seem to do much picture taking anywhere except when we are on vacation. My camera is a Canon Powershot SD880. I've had it for a few years now and really enjoy it. I sometimes switch back and forth between it and my Panasonic DMC-TZ5 but I don't think I've posted any using that one from this trip yet. I've been taking these mega photo trips for the past 7 or 8 years now so I do try to come up with shots of new things so my photos are not exactly the same every year. Disneyland is a fantastic place for doing this because there is always something new to discover and so many details everywhere you look.
I am jealous but even more excited for you about your trip coming up! So, how many times have you been to the park? I hope you have a fabulous time! You sound like my kind of girl. I prefer the not scary rides too. I just recently started riding Screamin because my son finally wore me down. I do have to say it was not nearly as bad as I expected. Sure that launch kinda takes your breath away but I really liked that you are strapped in so well with the shoulder type harness that it really does a fine job of making you feel more secure. I've decided that I do now like it better than Big Thunder because you do not slide around all over the place in the seat. As for TOT... it is the one ride I REFUSE to ride. Did it once and hated it. I have no desire to have the life scared out of me.... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppins2010 View Post
Can you tell me more about the Cold Stone singers? We are staying at the hotel with the Cold Stone next week, and this sounds fun!
Great trip report... its getting me all excited to go. Thanks!
I knew there was bound to be someone else out there that would find this fun to do! By the cash register at Coldstone's there is a bowl for tips. It you leave a tip the employees will sing a silly song for you. They change up a lot so it is really fun to see what you will get on your next visit. Some of them really have good singing voices but even if they don't they are sure to make you smile. So, not only do you get a yummy ice cream treat you also get a little entertainment for tossing in a little spare change. Oh yeah.... try the coffee lovers. It's our family favorite! Yikes! I am now having a full blown craving! Aside from the ice cream, I hope you have a fantastic trip!!! Thanks for joining in and for the compliment!

mariezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #17
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Day 4, Thursday, November 3, 2011

I think I must be finally adapting to the time. I slept a little later and got a bit slower start this morning. Our internet service here in the room is really slow so I went downstairs to the lobby to place our second grocery order to be delivered to Dolphin’s Cove when we move hotels on Saturday. I got that done, headed back to the room and we finally got around to heading to the park.

DD wanted to ride the horse drawn trolley so we looked around on town square while we waited.

Our ride finally came. The horse for the day was Lee, one of the horses we had also gotten to ride with last year.

I like the way this one came out framed. Must remember to try again another time and get a better quality picture.

We enjoyed our little trip down Main Street and hopped off in front of the castle where they were setting up for the Christmas Day Parade filming. No pretty castle photos today.

DD wanted to ride Jungle cruise so off we went to see if we might get another good skipper. Larry did do a pretty good job and we made sure to let him know we appreciated his efforts.

Finished with our cruise, we decided to stroll leisurely through Tarzan’s Treehouse. We are usually in a hurry but this time I gave DD plenty of time to explore. And, I took way too many photos. There really is so much in there to see.

Last edited by mariezp; 11-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #18
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Continued....

HM was next. DD noticed that Jacks sleigh was actually made from a coffin. Cannot believe as many times as we have ridden that we never noticed before.

We made our way over to NOS station so we could head to the front of the park and make it out of the park for our lunch reservations.

The boys met up with us at Toontown station.

We rode through the Grand Canyon, got off and Main Street station and exited the park. We then made our way over to Gardenwalk. Emma always has to stop and chit-chat with this lady.

I enjoyed the food at PF Chang's since I love Asian food but I am not so sure everyone else really cared for it. DH did love their chili paste. I tried Tiramusu for the first time but was not really all that impressed&. something about the soggy texture of cake. Emma amused herself, and us, with the chopsticks.

Last edited by mariezp; 11-12-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Continued....

We went back to our room for our afternoon break. About 4:25 I recalled that if one got in line for Rapunzels meet-n-greet at 4:45 that you would be likely to not have a long wait. DD was agreeable to the idea so we grabbed our shoes and jackets and raced out the door. We even made it with time to spare. We got DDs first autograph and picture with both Rapunzel and Flynn. Flynn was quite the talker and excellent at playing his part. Rapunzel was so sweet and beautiful.

DD decided that she also wanted to get Mickeys autograph so while she was in the mood I decided wed better hurry on over to Toontown before she changed her mind and decided shed rather not wait in line. It looked like everyone else in the park had decided to head to Toontown too. It was probably the most crowded I had ever seen it. Thankfully, they were not all headed for Mickeys house so we were able to get in our visit without much of a wait.

I do not like the new plastic Christmas trees that were passed on from WDW. Looks like a cheap fix even if it is probably high grade Disney plastic.

DD wanted to grab an ice cream so I fixed her up. I nabbed myself a pretzel. We sat and enjoyed our goodies while we watched the ducks in the old motorboat are, aka our fireworks viewing area.

We ran across these guys who were fairly entertaining.

Last edited by mariezp; 11-12-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #20
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Continued....

Now that our munchies were satisfied we decided we could press onward. We decided Dumbo would be good.

Wish this one had come out clearer but it is still one of my favorites.

Then the Teacups and a nighttime ride on Jungle Cruise.

We were trying to decide what to do next when the guys called so we were going to meet them and ride the Mark Twain. Unfortunately, when we got there it was already closed. So, we started over to the Tiki Room instead. However, along the way, DD changed her mind on our destination and decided she would be brave enough to ride Splash for her first time if the boys would get her a poncho&. and buy her a stuffed giraffe. She was afraid the store was going to sell out of the toy shed had her eye on so she wanted to go right then and there. We called the boys, told them her idea and asked them to find her a poncho while we made a pit stop. We met up with the guys, suited her up and got in line.

The men seemed to think they had it all figured out how we would all get wet the least. I had my doubts and I was pretty sure that DD would not like it in front but they insisted. Their theory was that the lighter the front the less is would splash. No time to protest since we were already in the loading area so we got seated per their suggestion. Just as I expected, those of us in front came out drenched. Bless her heart. She was so scared through the whole ride and ended up all sopping wet. Cold and miserable we headed to Adventureland to purchase her reward. Thankfully, it did help her feel better and she finally realized she had also earned bragging rights for having survived the big Splash drop. In the end she was quite proud of herself.

We decided to call it a night and go get out of our wet clothes. Everyone requested pizza delivery which was fine with me. It took me 3 tries but I finally found the right Pizza Hut that would deliver to us.

Last edited by mariezp; 11-13-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #21
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Awesome trip report so far. Your daughter is a character! I really like the pics so far too, especially the one of the matterhorn and the reversed Bokeh effect!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #22
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

I am finally aboard for the ride and hungry for more...

Nice to see some things stay the same always... Your son and his turkey legs and your daughter and her furry pals, love of horses and great goofy poses...and nice to see she braved something new by riding Splash! the boys were pulling your leg big time about putting the little one in front! Don't you remember how wet Colton was after his front of the log birthday rides on Splash?

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
CantWaitToGo2007
Mouseketeer

I'm here and enjoying your report

very excited to hear about how you liked Dolphin's Cove. That's where we are planning on staying next year when we go.

Nanette

Pop Century Dec 19-26 2007, Sept 2015
Disneyworld 1991, 1992
Disneyland 6 times as a kid and in 2005

[/url]

Is your X-ray Tech certified?
CantWaitToGo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #24
tffnyjean
Mouseketeer

I'm enjoying your TR, great pics! Thank you for writing it!
tffnyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
lozzypop
Mouseketeer

I also had to bribe my DD with a stuffy to ride Haunted Mansion. She won't go anywhere near the regular version, but went on the Holiday version once only when she was allowed to listen to her MP3 player to drown out any spooky sounds. She still cried when queuing up, but was determined to tough it out so she could get the Sally doll I promised her.

Like your DD, my DD is very partial to stuffies - we have a "two-stuffy" rule when doing our Disneyland trips, otherwise there would be nothing else in my luggage coming home.
lozzypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #26
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Hot diggity! More responses to make!
Sorry I don't have a new update to post yet but, hopefully I will have time to work up something new in the next couple days. In the meantime.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Mouse View Post
Awesome trip report so far. Your daughter is a character! I really like the pics so far too, especially the one of the matterhorn and the reversed Bokeh effect!
Thank you Markie Mouse! You are right my daughter is quite a character! She makes the best park buddy! I confess. I had to do a google search to find out what a reversed Bokeh effect was. I can now assure you that if I did it it was totally by accident! I am sure it is totally obvious to most anyone that I take pictures just because I love it and it's fun and certainly not because I would ever claim to be good at it. I do luck out sometimes and get a pretty good shot. Guess it's bound to happen every now and then when one takes close to 2000 pictures on a trip. Hope you find a few more you like by the time I get done with my trip report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
I am finally aboard for the ride and hungry for more...

Nice to see some things stay the same always... Your son and his turkey legs and your daughter and her furry pals, love of horses and great goofy poses...and nice to see she braved something new by riding Splash! the boys were pulling your leg big time about putting the little one in front! Don't you remember how wet Colton was after his front of the log birthday rides on Splash?
Hi TheColtonsMom! I haven't seen you around in awhile. I am sure it is because I have been slacking off around here lately. Always good to see a familiar face! Yep, my son is still crazy for turkey legs. I have no idea why. I have not tried one myself yet but don't really think I will be planning to any time soon. Too many other tasty treats that sound more appetizing to me.
And, yep, Emma still feels the need to bring a fuzzy buddy with her each time we head to the park. I donít mind at all but the rule is that she has to carry itÖ. not me. She does indeed still love horses and loves to strike those poses for me in front of the camera.
I was very proud of her for trying Splash but I was a little aggravated with the menfolk for scaring the wits out of her with their so called calculations. I was worrying the whole time about how panicked she was going to be when she was the one going over the big drop first but they seem to be all focused on what would make the water splash the most. I felt terrible for going along with them but thankfully all turned out in the end and I don't think she was permanently traumatized. I do know she will never ride in the front again and we will choose our own seats from now on! Please refresh my faulty memory. How did Colton take getting dowsed on his long ride? I am making a quick run through right now and responding to some comments but when I have a little more time I really need to go look up your report and see what else I should remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWaitToGo2007 View Post
I'm here and enjoying your report

very excited to hear about how you liked Dolphin's Cove. That's where we are planning on staying next year when we go.

Nanette
Glad you joined in CantWaitToGo2007! And, glad you are enjoying what you have read and seen so far.
Just a couple more days to post and I will get to the part of my report where we head to Dolphin's Cove so stay tuned. Don't want to spoil the surprise completely but I will say that we liked DC enough that we will be returning again on our next trip in November. I'll be sure to post plenty of photos for you so you can see what you think for yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tffnyjean View Post
I'm enjoying your TR, great pics! Thank you for writing it!
Thank you for reading along with me tffnyjean! It is always my pleasure to share with everyone in hopes that it helps pump other people's excitement level for planning their own trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzypop View Post
I also had to bribe my DD with a stuffy to ride Haunted Mansion. She won't go anywhere near the regular version, but went on the Holiday version once only when she was allowed to listen to her MP3 player to drown out any spooky sounds. She still cried when queuing up, but was determined to tough it out so she could get the Sally doll I promised her.

Like your DD, my DD is very partial to stuffies - we have a "two-stuffy" rule when doing our Disneyland trips, otherwise there would be nothing else in my luggage coming home.
lozzypop, when we are on vacation I am all for anything that makes our days go smoother! So, if a little bribe is in order... so be it. My DD has never put 2 plus 2 together and realized that she could probably end up getting a souvenir anyway without having to do something for it. When she figures that out we may have to up the ante! I am glad that your DD took the bribe and rode once. Maybe a few more bribes and she will do it on her own. Yay for her being brave and claiming her Sally! Emma was scared to go on HM her first time too (We didnít even bribe her that timeÖ we just happened to be part of the Holiday Tour) but after she tried it she loved it. It is now actually one of her favorites. I think the holiday version of HM helps because the music playing is busy and upbeat and helps take focus away from the scary factor.
I like your 2 limit stuffy rule and totally understand your reasoning. I have never set a specific rule but it is just about the same. Usually something like one a week maybe. If she does spot something small that she canít live without I will consider it towards the end of the trip. Of course, it really throws the whole packing thing off if anyone wins any of the big midway toys..... so be sure to stay far away from those places unless you want to add a new challenge to your homeward bound packing!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #27
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
Then we headed over to Toad which had a minor delay right before it was our turn to get on. Glad it wasnít while we were on it because I donít think I would like to be trapped in hell.

Too funny!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahk0204 View Post

Too funny!
I am glad someone appreciates my attempts to be entertaining every now an then.

I managed to work up another day's report. This one's pretty short since the day in the park was pretty short due to cold and rain but never fear.... I'll be back with more soon. In the meantime.....

Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Day 5, Friday, November 4, 2011

I spent a little time this morning trying to get online but finally gave up and played solitaire while everyone else was still sleeping. While I was doing that I noticed the sound of rain outside. We piddled around waiting for it to stop but finally gave up and went ahead and headed over to the park.

We wandered through the fire station.

We spent some time looking at displays inside some of the windows while we strolled down Main Street. Really bad reflections I know. I definitely need to work on this area of my picture taking but you still kinda get the idea.

Then we decided to go over to the Tiki Room for our daily show.

Last edited by mariezp; 11-13-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Continued....

When our show was over we found DH and DS in the Outfitters store where DS had discovered an Indy pinball machine and was setting high score records.

When he had finally had enough they requested our presence in Fantasyland so off we went. We rode Snow White, Pinocchio, Casey Jr., Dumbo and Toad. It rained off and on most of the morning.

The rain was beginning to come down pretty good so we decided to take a break and eat. DS made a run for a turkey leg and a chimichanga for DD while we went over to French Market. If we had known the dining area was not better covered we would have chosen somewhere else but we were already there so we sorta roughed it.... sitting in wet chairs and positioning our chairs just right so we wouldn't get dripped on... too much.

It was getting colder and we were fairly soggy and miserable but thankfully the food was good.... although I do believe it was a dining experience I dont think we will care to repeat. The guys headed out just as soon as they were through eating since they were both freezing and DH did not have on a coat. DD and I were a little bit better bundled up so I thought we might stay longer or maybe shop but by the time we were through eating DD decided that she too was cold and wanted to go back to our room. So we jumped on the train back to the front of the park.

We made it back to the room and cranked up the heater. I strung clothes out to dry all over the place.

We lazed around several hours and when DH asked if we were going back no one seemed very enthusiastic and said that it was too cold. Of course, If it had been all left up to me, I would have gone back because I knew we would be missing out on some prime time in the park since many people would have already gone home. Oh well. Rather than spend the entire rest of the day in our room I suggested that we go to the movies in DTD. Everyone was agreeable to that so we went to go see Puss in Boots. Everybody loved it and it was a good way to spend the afternoon without being in the cold for too long.

We started back to the hotel and grabbed burgers for DD and myself at Denneys. We got to the room and I ordered in pizza again for the guys. The Wizard of Oz was on tv so we watched that before turning in for the night. Not much of a big Disney day but still good time spent with my family.

Last edited by mariezp; 11-13-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: