Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

thank you for the tips about Maagens Bay....sounds wonderful! Is it easy to get a taxi back to the ship? Would love to see photos if anyone has any!
Debsx
Debs Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
all5ofus
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
We are doing our first eastern this year ... for St Thomas, I am thinking about the excursion listed as: full day sail and snorkel turtle cove and honeymoon beach - its for ages 5 and up

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...neymoon-beach/

We did this one and I would highly recommend it. The snorkling was great. You could go around on your own or follow the guide around and he would point out things. The crew was wonderful. Honeymoon beach there was a delicious catered lunch when we arrived and we had a great meal and a few drinks while the kids enjoyed swimming on the beach.
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castawaycayfans View Post
Just off the Magic on Saturday- here's what we did:

St Maarten: Bernards Tours, we contacted them independently, $40pp. They have a stand right beside the info center by the dock. We really had a great time, our driver took us all over the island and we were able to determine how long we wanted to stay at each stop. We went to Orient Beach, which was really windy and the ocean was choppy, so we only spent 30 minutes and then headed to Marigot and spent longer there. After that, we went to Maho and spent about 1 1/2 hours watching the planes. We also had drinks included in the price.

St Thomas: We did the Doubloon Snorkeling excursion through DCL. I believe it was $58 per adult. We had been on this one 2 years ago and had the same great experience. The sea was a little rough sailing over, but we still had a great time. The crew was a lot of fun! They also supplied drinks with this one (rum punch, coke, sprite, water, etc..)

Castaway Cay: We did not do an excursion, but we purchased the getaway package, which gave us snorkel, bike and float rental for about $32. You can only rent this package on the ship, not on shore. This one worked well for us, as DH did the snorkeling and I used the float. In the late afternoon, we rented an extra bike for $6 and rode the bike trail, which was nice.

We booked all three of these excursions! EXACTLY!

Wow, glad you enjoyed them.....we are really looking forward to Benards tour!
Hoping the weather will be warm...only 30 more days!

DISNEY CRUISES:
Wonder2008/ Magic Eastern2009
Magic Western2010/Wonder Mexican Riviera2011
Magic Eastern2012/ Wonder Alaska2013
son3disfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #19
all5ofus
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Two I would recommend for St. Maarten would be:

Bernards Tours - http://www.bernardstours.com/

Great overall sampling of the island. A nice mix of sightseeing, shopping, and beach time, hitting both Orient Beach and Maho beach to see the planes land. We had a larger group and were able to get a private tour with just our group for just a few dollars more per person than the group tours, then we could customize the tour to what worked for us, a little more beach time and a little less shopping time.

Random Wind Sailboat - http://www.randomwind.com/

A beautiful 54 foot sailboat that offers full day sail/snorkel/swim trip. A relaxing sail along the island with stops to swim and snorkel. On one of the stops they set up the tarzan swing, which is a trapeze rigged to the spinnaker boom and you swing off the boat and drop to the water below. My kids went off the tarzan swing about 50 times each. At another stop they prepare a nice lunch cooked fresh onboard.

We have done many caribbean excursions and my kids (13,11, & 7) all ranked this one as their favorite so far.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
MinnieMomMe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs Hill View Post
thank you for the tips about Maagens Bay....sounds wonderful! Is it easy to get a taxi back to the ship? Would love to see photos if anyone has any!
Debsx
There are plenty of taxis/shuttles lined up in the parking lot waiting to take passengers back to the cruise ships. We literally walked up and hopped on a shuttle. The day we were there, there were eight cruise ships in port. By going early we avoided major crowds at Maagens Bay.
MinnieMomMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #21
guess1928
Mouseketeer

how was honeymoon beach? was it pretty. I'm torn between this excursion and trunk bay. I need help deciding. Also, did you run into any scary animals while snorkeling? did you see sea turtles?
guess1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

I'd be interested in honeymoon beach and trunk bay too!!
Debsx
Debs Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
all5ofus
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess1928 View Post
how was honeymoon beach? was it pretty. I'm torn between this excursion and trunk bay. I need help deciding. Also, did you run into any scary animals while snorkeling? did you see sea turtles?
Honeymoon beach was nice. It is back in a bay, so the water was very calm. Also was nice and shallow for the kids to swim and play without having to worry about a sudden drop off.

Here is a review on Tripadvisor with some pictures - one of the reviews said it gets busy with a lot of boats from the cruise ships, but the day we were there the DCL excursion was the only one at that beach.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...n_Islands.html

We saw lots of turtles at Turtle Cove. Some were just sitting on the bottom and some would swim right past you. No scary animals. Typical assorted fish.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
3Goofy's
"If you are what you eat, then I only want to eat the good stuff." ~Remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by all5ofus View Post
Honeymoon beach was nice. It is back in a bay, so the water was very calm. Also was nice and shallow for the kids to swim and play without having to worry about a sudden drop off.

Here is a review on Tripadvisor with some pictures - one of the reviews said it gets busy with a lot of boats from the cruise ships, but the day we were there the DCL excursion was the only one at that beach.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...n_Islands.html

We saw lots of turtles at Turtle Cove. Some were just sitting on the bottom and some would swim right past you. No scary animals. Typical assorted fish.

Thank you so much for your details. We are booked for this very excursion (with the Honeymoon Beach part). Do you remember how much time you had at Honeymoon Beach?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
mushu756
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs Hill View Post
Bump! Keep them coming guys!
Debsx
I agree
mushu756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #26
all5ofus
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Goofy's View Post
Thank you so much for your details. We are booked for this very excursion (with the Honeymoon Beach part). Do you remember how much time you had at Honeymoon Beach?
I think we were there for about two hours.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #27
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by all5ofus View Post
Two I would recommend for St. Maarten would be:

Bernards Tours - http://www.bernardstours.com/

Great overall sampling of the island. A nice mix of sightseeing, shopping, and beach time, hitting both Orient Beach and Maho beach to see the planes land. We had a larger group and were able to get a private tour with just our group for just a few dollars more per person than the group tours, then we could customize the tour to what worked for us, a little more beach time and a little less shopping time.

Random Wind Sailboat - http://www.randomwind.com/

A beautiful 54 foot sailboat that offers full day sail/snorkel/swim trip. A relaxing sail along the island with stops to swim and snorkel. On one of the stops they set up the tarzan swing, which is a trapeze rigged to the spinnaker boom and you swing off the boat and drop to the water below. My kids went off the tarzan swing about 50 times each. At another stop they prepare a nice lunch cooked fresh onboard.

We have done many caribbean excursions and my kids (13,11, & 7) all ranked this one as their favorite so far.
Thank you for posting this. This sounds really interesting and relaxing.
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #28
mommywa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnc19 View Post
This is one I'm planning as well - would love to hear feedback!
I did this excursion last year with my family, 4 adults and 3 kids (14, 10, 5). We loved it. The ride out to Turtle Cove was beautiful and there were lot's of turtles when we got there. Honeymoon Beach was nice, the food wasn't great, but the beach was pretty. I plan on doing just the turtle cove without Honeymoon beach on my next cruise. BTW....they had 2 ships, a pirate ship and a catamaran (sp). I was bummed for my boy's that we didn't get the pirate ship, but found out it had no shade at all, so I was glad we got the catamaran :0)
Old 02-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
millscrew
Mouseketeer

Thank You so much for sharing what you did on the Eastern Cruise. I think our group of nine may now book the Bernard Tour it sounds great.
millscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #30
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

Has anyone done the Most Van Dyk tour on St Thomas? We were considering that one

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: