Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
ACJT
Mouseketeer

Veranda door safety locks?

Does anyone have pictures or even a video clip showing how the safety locks on the doors leading to the verandas work? We just booked our first Disney cruise and got a room with a veranda. We're very nervous as our one son (6yrs old) is autistic and can be a flight risk while having little regard for safety. The CM who I booked through tried to assure me these locks would work. Our little guy is a bit of a Houdini so I'm not convinced.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
ACJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Divslp
Earning My Ears

From what i remember (on the Fantasy), the door handle was a lock and there was another lock up high. The door itself is pretty heavy to slide. I imagine it would be difficult for a 6 year old to open.
Completely understand your concerns as my son has autism (with a history of wandering) also.
Divslp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

There as said is a lower lock mid door frame and a high one they need a good strong hand to move them any child now is safe. My son when he was four was able to open a door on the Magic on a challenge by me to see if he could do it but that did involve him using a circle small sofa chair and rolled it yo the door to stand on. The locks and doors have been upgraded since then. Move any movable furniture away from the door of room and it's safe.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
ACJT
Mouseketeer

Moving furniture to access a higher lock point is also a concern for me as our little guy is quite adept at doing that.

On a recent resort vacation we had to remove the handles from the exterior doors of our room to keep him from wandering. Thankfully those handsets would allow that and we simply slid the handle onto the grooved shaft when we needed out and immediately hid the handle again.

Always need to be thinking a step or two ahead of him.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Here is an old post with a photo of the lock. It is about six feet off of the ground. The vacuum caused by the moving ship and the weight of the door make it difficult to open.

Photo of lock
May 2011: First Disney Cruise/First Stay at BLT
December 2011: First MVMCP/First WL Stay
September 2013: First Mother/Daughter Trip
April 2014:First Disney Cruise without stop in WDW
December 2014: First Mother/Son Trip

MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
DISNEY FANTASY

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJT View Post
Moving furniture to access a higher lock point is also a concern for me as our little guy is quite adept at doing that.

On a recent resort vacation we had to remove the handles from the exterior doors of our room to keep him from wandering. Thankfully those handsets would allow that and we simply slid the handle onto the grooved shaft when we needed out and immediately hid the handle again.

They as said have updated the security since then and yes just take away small movable items the could stand on.
* Disney Magic -
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
DisGirl819
Then I thought about it and realized I'm crazy!!

I was concerned about that as well. However the top lock is really high up and not easy for a kid. My four an six year olds couldn't reach it.

DLR: 2014, 2010, 2009, 2008...back to first trip 1990
WDW: 1985, 1996, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CSR, CBR, AKV-K, BCV, BC-CL, POFQ, WL, CR
Disney Dream
ToT 10 miler (2013), Avengers 5k (2014)
DisGirl819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

If you are so concerned, why not book an oceanview room. One with a porthole. These can't be opened in any way, so you won't have worries.
I appreciate the benefits of having a verandah, but if those are spoiled by your worrying, just don't have one.
Enjoy your cruise!
Old 11-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
DISNEY FANTASY

OP you can book a verandah room, they are safe, DCL has never ever had any issue with a child on the verandah falling off. Kids lover them, when you get to the room, show them it give clear instructions, and as an extra safety precaution remove any movable item of furniture from the area.
* Disney Magic -
Old 11-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJT View Post

If the child is so intent on disobeying your wishes I'm doubting that there is anything you can do. The veranda door locks are very difficult to defeat, but of course they can be. I'd say this situation calls for increased parental oversight.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
If the child is so intent on disobeying your wishes I'm doubting that there is anything you can do. The veranda door locks are very difficult to defeat, but of course they can be. I'd say this situation calls for increased parental oversight.
Thumper rule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi8f9g8-Wpc
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

OP, I agree with others. It is unlikely your child can open the verandah door if the upper lock is engaged, but not entirely impossible if he is really intent on doing so. If you will spend the cruise worrying about it, an oceanview stateroom might be better for your family. Then you would only have the one door to child-proof. As heavy as the hallway doors are, I have read posts of children as young as 4 opening them. You can create a barricade of sorts (and add bells) so any middle-of-the-night attempts to get out would awaken you before he escapes. You'll have to decide how much of a concern it us for your family and choose the stateroom that best suits your needs.

Enjoy your cruise!

Last edited by lanejudy; 11-08-2014 at 07:49 PM.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

There also pretty tough to open as adult so i don't know how easy it is for a child to open. I know whn had one during the Trans atlantic cruise the first time I tried to open it I ended up locking it and had to scour through my copy of passporter to find instructions on how to open it.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #14
ACJT
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=OKW Lover;52594295]If the child is so intent on disobeying your wishes I'm doubting that there is anything you can do. QUOTE]

You obviously do not fully understand Autism.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

[QUOTE=ACJT;52596592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
If the child is so intent on disobeying your wishes I'm doubting that there is anything you can do. QUOTE]

You obviously do not fully understand Autism.
Quite true. Can you tell us how you handle this situation in a regular hotel room? Perhaps its something that could be adapted to a cruise cabin. Keep in mind that cabins are much smaller than a typical hotel room so it will be easier to keep an eye on your child.

Last edited by OKW Lover; 11-09-2014 at 09:11 AM.
OKW Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: