Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #31
SILLYANDI
DIS Veteran

Key West- We always visit with family or stay on the boat

Cozumel
Chankanaab State Park- on our own through Dolphin Discovery This was the kids' favorite by FAR! Booked online and left the info for our cruiseline blank. LOVE this place and would go back in a heartbeat, even without the Dolphin Swim. We have 4 kids (7,10,12 & 14- they were 4-11 at the time we went)so price, entertainment value and a variety are always important. Food is delicious and cheap, lots to do beside swim with dolphins- pools, snorkeling, beach, hiking trails with pretend ruins, LOTS of wildlife to see on the hike. Employees are friendly and not pushy at all. Service was great, not too crowded and the dolphin swim was incredible. The trainer was very informative and patient with the kids (even the one with a million questions...) and got them all to participate, even when they were a bit hesitant.They provided taxi payment to and from the park for us too!

Fury Catamaran through DCL. I would highly recommend this one too. A fun boat ride (30mins) straight from the port to their private beach. GREAT, fun & friendly crew, lots of drinks for kids & adults. Beach wasn't crowded, food was good (burgers ARE GIGANTIC and the macaroni salad was the best my 12 year old ever had, lol) and the water toys (trampoline, climbing nets, kayaks, etc) were a ton of fun for all of us. (kids were 5-12 when we went).
The FURY staff made my husband and I seriously consider retiring to Cozumel when we're older. They were just that awesome!

Grand Cayman
We did Cpt Marvin's Sting Ray City and starfish snorkel (or something like that)on our own (paired up with a family of 4 from our DIS meet and got a private boat for less then the DCL excursion!). It was fun- crew was great and very accomodating, snorkeling was fun and the crew did a great job keeping an eye on the kids so us parents could have fun too. They let the kids drive the boat, pointed out landmarks and famous people's houses as we went in and out of the channel and provided transportation via private van to/from the port- you just look for the guy with the Capt Marvin's sign and he takes you to his van and drives you there...

Boatswain's Beach/Turtle Farm on our own- Funny thing about this one is that I booked it on my own through their website and paid $20 less per person but we went on the DCL tour (we met at their booth at the port, they gave us a different color wristband then the DCL people but put us on the same bus to/from). The BEST part was we had free range of the whole park and activities- the DCL people were limited as to where they were allowed to go in the park?
Anyway- this was a fun "do it once" kinda thing. We held baby turtles, swam with turtles, learned a ton about turtles, saw lots of birds & other animals in their mini-zoo & hiked a little trail that was fun. We enjoyed hanging out on their beach (although not an ocean beach- it was on their manmade lagoon where the turtles are). The food & drinks were pricey, but I think everything in GC is. When we were done hanging out we just hopped on the bus back to the port and went. It was very easy transportation with no worries about missing the boat (Since the DCL people were still there when we left!)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #32
ILoveMyDVC
Mouseketeer

Cozumel - Playa Mia cooking excursion for the adults (or maybe just mom). We did it this week and had a lot of fun and learned a little bit too. $79.00 each - included the 2 hour lesson, we ate the food we prepared; open bar and access to all of the resorts' toys (boats, trampoline, small pool). I did not pay enough attention to say if it was suitable for children although I did see quite a few playing on the trampoline and in the playground.
09 June/July OKW (2 weeks)
07 June/July OKW
06 Aug OKW (for 2 weeks!)
05 Jan OKW
04 May OKW (DH's 1st. trip)
May 03, Aug, 02, July 01, Sept. 00 OKW
98 & 99 Jan. OKW
97 Feb. OKW/BW
96 Oct. & Jan. OKW
95 Sept. & May OKW
94 Sept. OKW 1st. trip as DVC members
92 May & 89 June Offsite
ILoveMyDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #33
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

bump!
Debs Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #34
Cliffside
Mouseketeer

Going on the maiden voyage of the Fantasy and have booked the xel-ha excursion. This will be our fifth Western but we have usually done Cozumel on our own. We have never gone to the mainland and I am a little concerned about the boat ride over and if I will get sea sick. What have people experienced and has anyone gone to xel-ha and what did they think.

Thanks
January 2,2014 Disney Magic Bahamas
October 2013 BCV
June 27, 2013 Disney Magic in Med w/ Venice
March 2013 BLT
August 12, 2012 Disney Magic to Canada
March 31,2012 Maiden Voyage Disney Fantasy-Western
August 23, 2011 Disney Wonder -Alaska
April 17,2011 Disney Dream/AKL
August 18th 2010 Disney Magic in the Mediterranean
October 31st 2009 Disney Magic Western
August 2009 DL Grand Californian
February 2009 BCV
November 2008 Disney Magic Western
April 2008 BCV
November 2007 Disney Magic Western
April 2007 POFQ
April 2006 Disney Magic Eastern
April 2005 Land/Sea POFQ/Disney Wonder
April 2004 POFQ
Cliffside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #35
D-Dreamer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDisney View Post
I don't see Nachi Cocum listed as one of the Port Adventures on DCL site. Is it maybe called something else? I'm thinking of doing the Cozumel Highlights and Myan Ruins tour in Cozumel, anyone ever do this one?
I was hoping someone would speak to this as well. We are booked for this in March and I hope it is good. Can anyone offer their thoughts on the Cozumel Highlights and Myan Ruins tour in Cozumel?

November 2012: Disney Dream
March 2012: Disney Magic
March 2011: Disney Dream
August 2010: Disney Wonder
September 2009: Disney Wonder
D-Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #36
Canadian Fan
Earning My Ears

Fury Catarmaran

I just booked Fury Catarmaran for this May in Cozumel. The only time left was 8:45am. Has anyone done this one in the morning? If you arrive with the morning group, do you have to leave to go back to the pier at 12:45 or do you have an option to stay until later in the day? Or will the beach be reserved only for people in the afternoon group?
Thanks!

Canadian Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #37
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside View Post
Going on the maiden voyage of the Fantasy and have booked the xel-ha excursion. This will be our fifth Western but we have usually done Cozumel on our own. We have never gone to the mainland and I am a little concerned about the boat ride over and if I will get sea sick. What have people experienced and has anyone gone to xel-ha and what did they think.

Thanks
If possible for the boat ride over, sit outside. This is what we were told to do. As we sat there during the ride, more and more "green" people came upstairs and laid on the benches. We were fine.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #38
tylerandalexsmom
Seriously addicted to Disney

I would love to see everyone's input too.

Also, has anyone ever been at Christmas? Debating between Christmas cruise (we have been at WDW at Christmas, now trying to decide btwn WDW or cruise for Christmas this year), or WDW at Christmas and cruise at Spring Break. The kids think it would be cool to be onboard at Christmas, but I think I would prefer a cruise at Spring Break -- we do water port adventures -- how cold is it at Christmas?!
MK Dec 1972 (me) WDW/All Star Movies May 2003 WDW/All Star Movies Apr 2007 WDW/NSSHP/Caribbean Beach Resort (Pirate room!) Sept 2009 Polynesian/Dream Cruise/WDW/CBR Pirate room Oct 2011 WDW Christmas 2011

tylerandalexsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #39
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

bump
Debs Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #40
VMinick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerandalexsmom View Post
I would love to see everyone's input too.

Also, has anyone ever been at Christmas? Debating between Christmas cruise (we have been at WDW at Christmas, now trying to decide btwn WDW or cruise for Christmas this year), or WDW at Christmas and cruise at Spring Break. The kids think it would be cool to be onboard at Christmas, but I think I would prefer a cruise at Spring Break -- we do water port adventures -- how cold is it at Christmas?!
We did the 11-night Southern Caribbean Christmas cruise on the Magic in 2010. It was fabulous! We loved all of the little touches on the boat (you can see most of those in the weeks prior to Christmas for cheaper) and loved our relaxing Christmas. I took one suitcase of little gifts, so we got up, opened a couple, went up to see Santa (enjoying hot cocoa and cookies while waiting) and do facepainting, opened two more gifts, went to decorate our gingerbread house, finished opening, went to sit by the pool eating the roasted chestnuts and watching a movie on the big screen. I would do it every year if we could!

However, we were on the unique, southern itinerary, which meant that we had warmer weather than the regular itineraries. We were able to swim every day. At Castaway Cay, it was chilly right next to the ship, but on the beach, in the sun, it was beautiful. My children went in the water a little but mostly played on the sand. I don't know about the weather for the closer ports.

(Vanessa - Me), (DS - age 11), (DS - age 9), (DD - age 4)
VMinick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #41
weloveheidi
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks, everybody!
Keep them coming.
weloveheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #42
devonsmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILLYANDI View Post

Boatswain's Beach/Turtle Farm on our own- Funny thing about this one is that I booked it on my own through their website and paid $20 less per person but we went on the DCL tour (we met at their booth at the port, they gave us a different color wristband then the DCL people but put us on the same bus to/from). The BEST part was we had free range of the whole park and activities- the DCL people were limited as to where they were allowed to go in the park?
Anyway- this was a fun "do it once" kinda thing. We held baby turtles, swam with turtles, learned a ton about turtles, saw lots of birds & other animals in their mini-zoo & hiked a little trail that was fun. We enjoyed hanging out on their beach (although not an ocean beach- it was on their manmade lagoon where the turtles are). The food & drinks were pricey, but I think everything in GC is. When we were done hanging out we just hopped on the bus back to the port and went. It was very easy transportation with no worries about missing the boat (Since the DCL people were still there when we left!)
Thanks for this! I knew I wanted to book this and kept going back and forth. I just didn't understand the extreme price difference between the DCL excursion, and booking directly through them. They also offered a 20% discount for booking online.
August 2013--Polynesian, October 2012--Old Key West, May 2012--Animal Kingdom Lodge/Expedition Everest!, March 2012--Disney Magic!, Feb. 2012--Pop, Dec. 2010--Contemporary/Pop, Sept. 2009--Pop, Sept. 2008--POR, June 2004--Vistana
And many trips before!
devonsmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #43
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILLYANDI View Post
Key West- We always visit with family or stay on the boat

Cozumel
Chankanaab State Park- on our own through Dolphin Discovery This was the kids' favorite by FAR! Booked online and left the info for our cruiseline blank. LOVE this place and would go back in a heartbeat, even without the Dolphin Swim. We have 4 kids (7,10,12 & 14- they were 4-11 at the time we went)so price, entertainment value and a variety are always important. Food is delicious and cheap, lots to do beside swim with dolphins- pools, snorkeling, beach, hiking trails with pretend ruins, LOTS of wildlife to see on the hike. Employees are friendly and not pushy at all. Service was great, not too crowded and the dolphin swim was incredible. The trainer was very informative and patient with the kids (even the one with a million questions...) and got them all to participate, even when they were a bit hesitant.They provided taxi payment to and from the park for us)
Can you share more about this? We will be traveling with a 4, 15, and 17 yo and my 17yo dd is dying to swim with dolphins!
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #44
luvmy2kids
Mouseketeer

Interested in the Cozumel swim with dolphins as well but do not want to pay the inflated disney price but want to be protected against any unforseen circumstances.... Any ideas on how to proceed?
luvmy2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #45
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Anyone off the Fantasy Maiden voyage that can tell us about their excursions?
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: