Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #31
GatorMommy2007
Mouseketeer

So fun! How old is your DD? I must have missed it. It's so cute how receptive she is to the characters!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #32
brea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMommy2007 View Post
So fun! How old is your DD? I must have missed it. It's so cute how receptive she is to the characters!
During the trip DD was 16 months. She really was receptive to them. I feel like I'm flooding the TR with the pics and it's only a small amount of them. I'm leaving some out so that I'm not bludgeoning the readers with characters and DD.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #33
brea
Mouseketeer

Dinner at Le Cellier

Gonna try and get this TR completed. I've probably lost all my readers but I still want to finish it up.

So we went to Le Cellier for dinner. There's not much to say about that place other than WOW is that some good food. We both had the Fillet and I had an appetizer that I ended up getting free because the waitress forgot to put it in. It was very filling and we just had an awesome time.

While we were waiting to be seating DD just had a blast walking outside on the small bridge going over the pond. Apparently it was just the right angle to give her practice walking so she was up/down/up/down and all around it. I felt bad as some groups walked around her but she actually took note of them and moved herself which I was happy to see. She made a friend as a boy probably about 6-8 months older than her came over and they walked together.

I think it's interesting that they make the gator noises to keep the birds away from the garden. Doesn't stop the ducks but it was an interesting twist.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #34
brea
Mouseketeer

Chef Mickeys and DD gets a much needed massage at Mandara Spa

I messed up earlier in the TR and listed that we went to Chef Mickeys on the wrong day so I won't bother repeating that experience again. We had actually gone to Kona Cafe that day and if I haven't mentioned it before... Kona Cafe has some good breakfast.

After breakfast we split up and DW took the monorail around to the MK and hopped on a bus to get her massage at the Mandara Spa in the Dolphin resort. DD and I headed over to AK for some time alone to check things out more and wait for mom to make it back.

MANDARA SPA
DW has asked me to say a few things about this Spa. First she got the pregnancy massage and then a mani/pedi. She was thrilled with the experience and it left her feeling very rejuvenated. Her thoughts were that she was happy with the masseuse and she allowed her to relax with little conversation (there had been reports that might be an issue.). She said to mention that if there was any concern about what to bring you should not worry. The lockers they give you are very large and provide adequate space to store just about anything you would have on your person. The mani/pedi went very well and her only regret was that she couldn't have a drink during the process.

AK
DD and I headed over to AK and we found goofy and timon outside gretting guests. DD did NOT like timon and would only stare but go no closer. She went right up to goofy and enjoyed his company.

It became pretty apparent that DD was still a bit tired from yesterday's activities in Epcot because she was completely content with sitting in the stroller and quickly was asleep. I decided to head over the Camp Minnie Mickey so that when she woke up we could get some character time in.

Little did I know that this was a full out sleeping session and it was coming at the worst time imaginable from the perspective of meeting characters. For literally 45 minutes there was NEVER a line more than 4 people deep for any of the characters in the area. It was soooo slow that Minnie Mouse came out of her hut and was greeting families at the entrance to her hut.

One thing it did allow me to do was get some pics with a few of the characters shushhhing next to DD while she slept. Those turned out to be some fun pics that I'll share with DD later in life. We got one with Donald, The lady Bunny rabbit and brer fox.

DD woke up for a bit and we played with Minnie and had some extended time with Chip and Dale after a character changeout and the new ones played with her but she was still sleepy and only stared as they jumped around her.

She stayed up for about 20-30 minutes and then decided to go back to sleep. I decided to just take the time and wait it out until lunch arrived or DW made it back from her spa session.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #35
brea
Mouseketeer

Dad and DW relax at AK and have Magical Moment #2

So I decided to sit in a shady spot and relax and let DD finish her second nap when a CM notices her sleeping and comes up to me and asks how we're enjoying ourselves and commented on how DD must be pretty tired from all the fun. I told her yes we were and were just waiting for DW to make it back to the park. The CM asks where she was and I explained and said that she deserved it because she works so hard for our family.

The CM smiles and says "you're a good dad. Are you planning to see the festival of the Lion King today?" to which I replied we were and it was one of the main reasons we had come back to the park today. The CM said she would like to offer us all VIP seating for the show of our choice. I happily accepted and called DW who was just finishing up her appointment. We worked out a time where we could be sure she would be back and went about our way. I was pretty happy with this as I had never seen the show but figured VIP seating couldn't be bad.

DW called when she made it back and we met at Pizzafari had some lunch and then headed over to the show. We had front row seats and the show really was awesome. We thanked the CM for the wonderful opportunity on our way out and began to head out and make our plans for the rest of the day. We realized we didn't have much time as we had to head over to Downtown Disney for dinner so decided to watch the parade and then head out. We took our time heading out and really enjoyed the early areas of the park as we knew we would not be coming back and DW commented on how much she really liked Animal Kingdom and it was a lot more than she expected.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #36
brea
Mouseketeer

Dinner at Raglan Road and Downtown Disney

We took a bus down to DTD and headed over to Raglan Road. We both knew our vacation was coming to an end and while we wouldn't admit it we were both somewhat ready for it to be over.

We got into the rest and got seated pretty quickly. DD decided to have a fit for some reason and I did my best to keep her calm and DW had a bit of a melt down herself. I decided to sit with DD and attempt to let DW enjoy herself as this was one of the restaurants she was looking forward to eating at. We ordered our food and the night time entertainment started with the irish steppers. DD was thoroughly interested in them which allowed me to enjoy my meal some.

We had read that the entertainment got loud so we timed our dinners to get out just as the band started which worked out pretty well and we headed left and walked through the area and enjoyed the atmosphere which was more hectic than I had expected.

The area around Planet Hollywood was pretty busy but there wasn't much that interested us so we headed back the other way and found plenty to enjoy. DW was thrilled by the lego store and the amazing displays they had outside so we spent some time taking pictures of those and then we went into the Disney store to buy some gifts for people back home.

Once we were done with this we decided it was time to head back and DD was showing the tell tale signs of sleepiness and as noted earlier we weren't in the mood to fight too any crowds.

Back to the resort we went and began packing and got to sleep early enough to have a pretty good sleep.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #37
alliesue
Mouseketeer

:)

Just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed your TR! We have a DD who we took last October when she was 15 months and it really was a great age to take her!! Brought her again last month (at 19 months) and she was a bit more high maintenance - bit still so much fun! Thanks so much for sharing!!

1978- Disneyland (1st visit), 1981- Off Site (1st WDW visit), 1984- Off Site, 1989- Off site, 4/2004- Off Site, 7/2005 - Pop Century, 10/2005- Off Site, 1/2/2005- WDW Wedding - Pavilion/Atlantic Dance Hall/Weddingmoon -Yacht Club CL, 9/2005 - Pop Century, 5/2007 - Disneyland, 12/2008- Deployment Homecoming Trip - Coronado Springs, 9/2009 - All Star Sports - Everest Challenge, 9/2011- AKL- Baby's First Trip & W/D Half Relay, 2/2012- Princess Half/POFQ, 5/2012 - BCV
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #38
FosterA
DIS Veteran

Hey, you didn't lose me. It's spring break here in TX and my kids have been running me ragged. Just now got to sit back and get all caught up. yipee! I missed a bunch.

I do LOVE that photo of DD with Tigger where she's snuggled in with him and looking at the camera.
I also need to comment on Kona for breakfast. I agree....fabulous breakfast! I had the Kona version of eggs benedict and it was excellent.

Happy your DW was able to get to relax and get a massage and such and that it turned out so well! Maybe that will rejuvinate her just enough to get through this trip!

looking forward to the rest of the report....
Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #39
brea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterA View Post
Hey, you didn't lose me. It's spring break here in TX and my kids have been running me ragged. Just now got to sit back and get all caught up. yipee! I missed a bunch.

I do LOVE that photo of DD with Tigger where she's snuggled in with him and looking at the camera.
I also need to comment on Kona for breakfast. I agree....fabulous breakfast! I had the Kona version of eggs benedict and it was excellent.

Happy your DW was able to get to relax and get a massage and such and that it turned out so well! Maybe that will rejuvinate her just enough to get through this trip!

looking forward to the rest of the report....
Nice to see that I didn't lose you. I had lost myself again so hadn't really been able to get back in and complete the report. Will be doing that soon. It's probably a good thing because now after a couple of months of being back I have a bit more insight into DW's thoughts on the trip.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
brea
Mouseketeer

Relax and get ready to head home

So it was time to head home. Our plane wasn't leaving until around 4:30 so we called and they were nice enough to give us a 1PM checkout. We took our sweet old time getting ready. DW and DD were spent so we didn't really have any plans to go to a park that day.

We did however make one last trip to Kona Cafe as DW wanted one last pressed pot and breakfast from there. Did that and then just kind of lounged around the area. We mosied on over to the GCH and grabbed some last minute souvineers and made the trek outside to wait for the bus. DW didn't want to leave but she was also ready to go if that makes sense and I believe I was in the same boat. We were mostly quiet on our way home and had planned to make it home on Saturday night so that we had some time to recoup at home before heading back to work and getting back into the swing of things.

So there's some outstanding questions that need answered. After having a few months to think about and discuss it here are the answers.

1. Did DW get what's behind the magic? - Yes and No

She really enjoyed herself and admits that she did not know what to expect. She now says that she wasn't prepared for how enjoyable it would be to watch DD enjoy herself as much as she did and that is probably one of the biggest selling points for a return trip.

DW is officially a Monorail resort and more to the point a Poly snob . She's not thrilled at all with the contemporary but LOVES the theming of the Poly. We took a good look at the GF but in the end the poly and it's theming wins out. She couldn't imagine staying at a resort where we'd have to take a bus constantly.

She's REALLY looking forward to going back when she's able to have a glass of wine or three with dinner.

2. Will DW think IASW is creepy after riding it?

She does. She liked that DD enjoyed it but she was only ok with it for that reason.

3. Will DD enjoy the characters? All of them?

DD enjoyed the characters more than we could have imagined. Except for the Prince Charming incident (which that look has now been dubbed her Prince Charming look) she loved them and since we've been home she's seen a few other characters and is thrilled to see them and runs right up to them.

4. Which park was our favorite and which was our least fav?

By far our favorite was Magic Kingdom and Epcot was our least favorite and I believe that had a lot to do with us hitting the wall. DW and I have discussed forgoing that park on another visit or visiting it with a park hopper option. We think we made the right decision by skipping HS but look forward to taking DD and her new brother or sister there in the coming years.

5. Is 16 months too young to take a child to Disney?

ABSOLUTELY NOT - however I do feel that your individual childs temperament and attitude towards characters, heat, and few other small factors should weigh in on the decision. At the end of the day both DW and I agree that we will never have the opportunity to take DD there again and have her be the way she was at that time. They grow up so fast and I'm sure that if we went back now it would be a different trip than the one we took here.

One interesting note from discussion DW and I have had is that she would prefer to go during the February "down" time for the parks and is completely OK with taking the kids out of school to do it. She believes after looking at some pictures from the busy times of the year that it's a worthwhile thing to do as long as we help the kids stay on top of their homework and such.

I'm only a little surprised that DW enjoyed herself and looks forward to going back as I knew it would be hard for her not to find something she enjoyed. I am surprised as how easy a conversation it is to discuss our going back. I'm not sure that I had any real expectations in that area but I am surprised about it none the less.

One last thing that I will impart is BUY PHOTO PASS. We did and purchased the photo book option and I cannot overstate how happy we are with the finished product. It's given us one more little thing to help commemorate our trip and DD just loves looking at the pictures and has a few favorites that she always seems to gravitate towards.

I know this has been a long TR but I finally got it done. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. I hope your trips to WDW are as happy as ours turned out to be!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #41
IATink
Mouseketeer

Just read your whole trip report today! Love all the pictures. You really have some great ones Your daughter is adorable. My youngest daughter's first trip was when she was 18 months old. I know she doesn't remember much about it, but my husband and I sure do and we love looking back at her pictures. Thank you for sharing your trip!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #42
brea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IATink View Post
Just read your whole trip report today! Love all the pictures. You really have some great ones Your daughter is adorable. My youngest daughter's first trip was when she was 18 months old. I know she doesn't remember much about it, but my husband and I sure do and we love looking back at her pictures. Thank you for sharing your trip!
Thanks a lot and thanks for the compliments! We're obviously biased so it's nice to hear from other people.

We had an awesome time and are really looking forward to going back. I forgot to mention that we're expecting our 2nd with DW due June 8th so the next trip won't be for a while. That probably good though as it'll allow all the new stuff to finish and open.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #43
FosterA
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your report with us!
It was a fun read and I sure hope ya'll make it back again soon
Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #44
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Great trip report, brea!! Loved the pictures of your little daughter, precious. Wonderful memories for sure.

If you are looking for resorts with few buses, check the Epcot resorts...Yacht Club, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin...a boat or short walk to two, Epcot and the Studios, bus to AK and MK. The MK resorts (Poly), have monorail to two, MK and Epcot, bus to AK and Studios.

Thanks for sharing.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: