Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
pinnocchiosdad
DIS Veteran

Grand floridian teddy bear lady

Some of you may know who I am talking about. I haven't seen her in over a year. Is the Teddy bear lady still enjoying music in the lobby nightly? Any sightings? If so what days and at what time. I am there in a few weeks and wanted to say hello.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
FutureMrs.B
DIS Veteran

We were there in September and December and we saw her both times. We saw her only on the weekends though, not sure if we just missed her during the week. From what I remember she was there during the day time as well as in the evenings. Enjoy your trip!
FutureMrs.B is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

We were there a few weeks ago and she was there!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Why not just leave the lady alone? She's not a Disney character.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
She actually enjoys chatting with other guests. I got to say hi to her with some friends of ours that stay there every year. They love her and she's very nice. She knows the staff and many of the regular guests.

If she didn't want to chat, I iimagine she would not sit there day after day with the Teddy Bears. She's hardly making herself anonymous!

Both times I have seen her, its been in the afternoons. She's a sweetheart.

Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
wiserabbit
Addicted to Pixe Dust

We asked one of the CMs and they did tell us she enjoys the "company" of being there - and doesn't mind chatting with others.....the back story is so bitter-sweet - about she and her husband being regulars and then after after he passed away - she has someone bring her to just be in the same place she and he loved so much......
Old 02-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
starrysky
DIS Veteran

There was a thread posted about this lady by one of her relatives. Maybe someone can find and repost.
She sounds like a lovely person and if I get the chance to see her in the Grand Floridian I would say hello.

I think its lovely that this lady has found a place that makes her so happy.

1986 Hilton Downtown Disney, 1992 Offisite Kissimmee, 2006 Offsite (sheraton vistana) 2009 POFQ, 2010 POR, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 POFQ

starrysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Yes, our friends learned of her bittersweet story from a good friend of theirs who has been a bellman at the GF for many years. She does enjoy the company, and its not as if she has a line of people bugging her. I think the contact she gets from other GF lovers is probably good for her.

The staff all love her and if she was a recluse who frowned on interaction, they likey wouldn't let her hang out there so often.

Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

They probably bring their autograph books along...
Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Sammie
DIS Veteran

If you are staying at the Grand Floridian and she is in the lobby and you just happen to be there at the same time, is quite different than trying to plan to be there to see her.

As Deb said she is not an attraction.

Last edited by Sammie; 02-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
YankeePrincess
I love Donald Duck

People make her sound like big foot. Any sightings??

Bay Lake Tower Owners Since 2009
Waiting on the Poly DVC!
YankeePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
OllieDannyandMe
DIS Veteran

I don't believe I have seen the Teddy Bear Lady at the Grand Floridian, although I have read posts about her for the last several years.

When we were at the Grand Floridian in December of 2008, I did see an elderly woman with a newborn baby in her arms. At the time, we were waiting for my daughter's Tea Party with Alice in Wonderland to conclude, so we were in the lobby for over an hour. I looked at the elderly woman with the newborn a few times, because it was such an unusual sight. And then, she approached me, and asked me if I wanted to buy her baby doll. As it turns out, it was a doll, and it looked exactly like a live newborn, especially from a distance.

The elderly woman and another middle aged woman sat down next to me and showed me a doll brochure. I quickly made an excuse to leave, because it just didn't feel right. The situation was too odd for me. I have often wondered if that was the Teddy Bear Lady, but I always discount that possibility. No one else has ever seen her trying to sell dolls in the lobby, right? It must just be some strange coincidence.

OllieDannyandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
mlittig
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieDannyandMe View Post
I don't believe I have seen the Teddy Bear Lady at the Grand Floridian, although I have read posts about her for the last several years.

When we were at the Grand Floridian in December of 2008, I did see an elderly woman with a newborn baby in her arms. At the time, we were waiting for my daughter's Tea Party with Alice in Wonderland to conclude, so we were in the lobby for over an hour. I looked at the elderly woman with the newborn a few times, because it was such an unusual sight. And then, she approached me, and asked me if I wanted to buy her baby doll. As it turns out, it was a doll, and it looked exactly like a live newborn, especially from a distance.

The elderly woman and another middle aged woman sat down next to me and showed me a doll brochure. I quickly made an excuse to leave, because it just didn't feel right. The situation was too odd for me. I have often wondered if that was the Teddy Bear Lady, but I always discount that possibility. No one else has ever seen her trying to sell dolls in the lobby, right? It must just be some strange coincidence.
That is not the Teddy Bear Lady ~ she had Teddy Bears only and does not try to sell anything

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/6/14 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
mlittig
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrysky View Post
There was a thread posted about this lady by one of her relatives. Maybe someone can find and repost.
She sounds like a lovely person and if I get the chance to see her in the Grand Floridian I would say hello.

I think its lovely that this lady has found a place that makes her so happy.
That thread was written by her sister Here is the link about Lynn, the Teddy Bear lady:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2040919

I have had the pleasure of talking with Lynn and she is the sweetest lady who hurts no one

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/6/14 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Cibahwewah
DIS Veteran

Didn't see the teddy bear lady last week, but when we went to the lobby on Saturday evening to enjoy the music, there was a family with their Chik-Fil-A food all spread out across a coffee table right by the piano! So there they were, chewing their chicken nuggets and licking the french fry grease and ketchup off their fingers while a gentleman in a tuxedo was playing the grand piano only a few feet away! How supremely tacky!
January 2009, Pop Century, November/December 2010, Grand Floridian, January 2012, Grand Floridian, September/October 2012, Bay Lake Tower/Disney Dream, April 2013, Disneyland, July 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska, February 2014, Beach Club March 2015, Art of Animation/Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Cibahwewah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: