Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
moemt
Earning My Ears

A Christmas gift trip

A Christmas Gift Trip

After taking a trip in 2010 with my sister, I found a savings plan at my bank that required regular deposits that would result in a bonus gift at various stages that made the interest something of a positive number as opposed to normal interest rates now. Then the decision came, what to spend it on when the account got bigger. I then came to an idea that a gift of a trip for my niece and nephew to be given at xmas 2011. I had to keep this secret from them for 20 months.

Then xmas 2011 came and I gave them some travel size toiletries and a map. My niece (13) more tomboy and nephew (8 at the time) sort of got the idea of a trip when they opened these but even a Florida map didnít give it away. Then I had them open boxes that had WDW brochures and a trip planning book each. My brother (dad to the recipients), and one of my sisters were videotaping the opening and there was no jumping up and down or other excitement like the commercials. One of my other nephews (7) was as excited or more than the recipients. He already expects this will be his gift next year (no way I can swing it this soon).

So then comes the fun part. The kids both play ball in the summer and I didnít want them to miss any if possible. Taking them out of school is also not an option. Finally, my job limits the number of people off so I had to wait to pick my vacation until late in Jan. We ended up with a trip checking in on Aug 2 and checking out on the 9th. The kids have never been to any theme park and have only been on a few short vacations. They are somewhat more excited now but I donít think they know what to expect.

I spoke with the kids and asked about hotel preferences and they chose GF, AKL , and WL, in that order. I think my niece looked at the prices by the look on her face while she gave them to me. They also liked POP. I suggested that we look at the Mods and ended up with POR. I got a garden view as there were no standards in the pkg offering. We have 6day PH and are doing the dining plan. I am still hoping for a PIN or a discount to come out but this time frame has neither likely based on my research.

The trip will start with a 1200 mile road trip. I hope to drive this in 2 days on the way down. I am now planning to leave on July 31 so we may get to WDW on the 1st if we get along okay as it will just be me and the two kids so I will be the only driver. If we are going to arrive in the area I will try to get an additional night at POR so we can get an additional day for the parks that wasnít in the original plan. If we arenít making good time we will stop along the way (cheaper hotel) for a second night and drive in the morning of the 2nd.

I have made my ADRs all for evening meals. My nephew is a good eater and I chose all buffets and all you can eats so he is not limited to kidís menus. I also didnít do breakfast or lunch to not limit park time.

My trip plan has us doing
Thursday Depends on arrival day, If we got in the night before Epcot or MK. Chef Mickey Dinner
Friday HS with Fantasmic H& Vine pkg
Saturday Epcot and Hoop De Doo
Sunday AK and dinner at Boma, MK for EMH
Monday Rest Day or possibly WP or Disney Quest
Tuesday MK with Ohana dinner
Wednesday Epcot with Biergarten dinner and staying for Illuminations
Thursday MK and leave around 5 to return home.

I am going to try and see us getting a break every day. I am thinking about doing a water park but my nephew is not a strong swimmer so I donít know yet. We will spend some time at DTD and will likely do a variety of other activities around the World.
I havenít got to really sit down with the kids to see what they want after they have read about WDW. As I am a single guy I am looking for hints for the trip. I will defiantly have a note from their parents and insurance info on them. Have already started my list of things to pack and to help with surviving a 1200 mile trip.

1982 off site
2003 ASMo
2010 CBR
2012 POR
2012 sports
2014 CBR

Last edited by moemt; 03-20-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: add sig
moemt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: