Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
Dznypal
DIS Veteran

Ive read others doing this--sounds risky to me

I heard others doing this so as to not tying up too much money on the deposit

Ive read that they book the cheapest room at the cheapest time of yr

so the deposit is low--then when they know exactly what they want CAT and date

they change it to what they want but the pricing is based on when it was

orginally booked and not at "todays rate"

Id like to try this so as to not tie up to much $ but this sounds risky to me

do you need to keep and eye on bookings so if you want a certain area

Id like to book now for next yr but not sure of the date but Id like to get something booked

hope this makes some sense

any advice
thanks
Dznypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

That's not quite how it works. You have mixed up two different situations.

When you have a cruise booked and you want to upgrade on THAT cruise, then the pricing is locked in for the other categories as of the date you originally booked THAT cruise instead of the current rate.

When you book a dummy date and switch it to a different date, you pay the going rate the day you switch for the new cruise date. You can add additional people to your room as long as there is space available, while the OBB discount and OBC remain with the reservation.

Also, if you add people to your reservation and you are not changing the cruise date, you will be charged the current rate as of the day you add them, not the price it would have been for them to be added when you originally made that reservation.

HTH!

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post

When you have a cruise booked and you want to upgrade on THAT cruise, then the pricing is locked in for the other categories as of the date you originally booked THAT cruise instead of the current rate.

When you book a dummy date and switch it to a different date, you pay the going rate the day you switch for the new cruise date. You can add additional people to your room as long as there is space available, while the OBB discount and OBC remain with the reservation.

Also, if you add people to your reservation and you are not changing the cruise date, you will be charged the current rate as of the day you add them, not the price it would have been for them to be added when you originally made that reservation.

HTH!
What if you change names? our situation...one can"t go but was booked so if we take a friend and add her name and take off the other name how does that effect pricing?

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you change one name, you keep the same pricing that you originally booked. After a certain time (used to be 30 days), there is a small fee for a name change.

If you want to change ALL the names in a cabin, that is considered a cancel and rebooking. As long as you keep at least one name in the cabin the same, there is no problem and the pricing remains the same.

If you switch a child for an adult, there is usually a small ($50-100) price difference.

Lgraves did a good job of explaining the other issues.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

Quote:

HTH!
so I have booked to 10A? (something like that?) connecting cabins for my family, if I decide to book a 4A (family suite)cabin today it will be the same booking cost as if I booked it on the date of 1/26?

If this is the truth I will be very happy because I was wishing I did this, but did not have enough for a deposit, so I had to be happy with what I could afford that day. Christmas made the finances verra, verra tight
Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

thanks kcashner

joan4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
lbgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
so I have booked to 10A? (something like that?) connecting cabins for my family, if I decide to book a 4A (family suite)cabin today it will be the same booking cost as if I booked it on the date of 1/26?

If this is the truth I will be very happy because I was wishing I did this, but did not have enough for a deposit, so I had to be happy with what I could afford that day. Christmas made the finances verra, verra tight
As long as you haven't passed your PIF date, then yes this will apply. You will only be able to transfer one of the rooms to the 4A. You can cancel the second room and transfer that money to the deposit for the 4A or if it is an OBB move it into the future and pay the extra deposit on the one room.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011

Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
What if you change names? our situation...one can"t go but was booked so if we take a friend and add her name and take off the other name how does that effect pricing?
I just spoke to the TA about this today....we need to do a name change on an upcoming cruise (adult) and was told there is no charge as long as it 45 days before the cruise....if it is less than 45 days before the cruise the charge will be $50.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
pillow
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=lbgraves;43913308]When you have a cruise booked and you want to upgrade on THAT cruise, then the pricing is locked in for the other categories as of the date you originally booked THAT cruise instead of the current rate.[QUOTE]

I didn't know this!! I assumed you would book at new current pricing when you upgrade. Love these boards! Thanks!!

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't know this!! I assumed you would book at new current pricing when you upgrade. Love these boards! Thanks!!
X2. I love this forum!!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
As long as you haven't passed your PIF date, then yes this will apply. You will only be able to transfer one of the rooms to the 4A. You can cancel the second room and transfer that money to the deposit for the 4A or if it is an OBB move it into the future and pay the extra deposit on the one room.
I'm not understanding this. Why would one only be able to transfer one of the two booked rooms to a higher category?

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
I'm not understanding this. Why would one only be able to transfer one of the two booked rooms to a higher category?
I think one COULD upgrade both rooms to 2 higher cat rooms, but in this case, he/she wants to consolidate 2 cheaper rooms into just one cat 4A room.
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
txgirl5
Earning My Ears

I asked my TA about this just two days ago and they said if I upgraded it would have to be at the current price. Should I call again?

txgirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

Quote:
Thanks so much, I guess I know what I will be doing on payday
Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
lbgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
I think one COULD upgrade both rooms to 2 higher cat rooms, but in this case, he/she wants to consolidate 2 cheaper rooms into just one cat 4A room.
Exactly, that's what I understood the poster to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgirl5 View Post
I asked my TA about this just two days ago and they said if I upgraded it would have to be at the current price. Should I call again?
Yes, most people come back and say their TA told them that it would be at the current rate. However, call your TA [who obviously doesn't do many DCL bookings] and tell them that you want them to do a conference call with DCL and you on the line and tell DCL that you want to upgrade. Everyone has come back to post that DCL upgraded them for the price on the day they booked. As long as this is the policy, they will do this. One day things might change, but for now, this is how it goes. If your TA won't call DCL for you, then my suggestion is that you tell them you want your reservation released back to DCL, then you can go online yourself and upgrade. If you had the reservation now, you would be able to go online and do this yourself and see that the pricing for all of the categories on your reservation when you go to modify it are lower than the current prices. If your TA can go online and modify the reservation, then tell them to do that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: