Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #571
tajz90
Mama D

Ok. I called Disney and reserved TWO rooms at the Renaissance (traveling with mom, son 20 & son 14). I thought they could hold them till I had a chance to investigate, but now I'm wondering if it would be bad (and just lazy) to pay the extra money and keep them?

The transportation is $30 per trip/per person. I was thinking of using AeroCity and shared ride services for about $20 a person. And again, I'm thinking about just sucking it up and using Disney. The last time, we used a cab and while it was easy, we ended up getting charged more because we were tourist. The driver pushed a button when we got in car and X amount went directly on fare meter.

What do y'all think? Would you search for a room that's cheaper and near The Renaissance and hoofing it over the morning of departure? Or just suck it up and stay thru Disney?
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #572
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Did you check Marriott.com to see if the rates are cheaper than with Disney? Might be able to save enough to cover the transfers.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #573
tajz90
Mama D

I did check Expedia. It was more. Will look more later.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #574
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Another option is if you have Marriott points. Or Amex points you can transfer to Marriott. We booked ours with points and it was very reasonable. 25k points I think for one night.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #575
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu
Another option is if you have Marriott points. Or Amex points you can transfer to Marriott. We booked ours with points and it was very reasonable. 25k points I think for one night.
Tell me how to use points? I have no idea. my mom has an AMEX with points.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #576
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90
Well, that luggage lost experience was an eye opener. Three weeks without clothes teaches you about what's important. When we went on the Baltic, we only carried roll on luggage, 1 apiece and managed quite well. We have toned down our packing tremendously. Haha. It's a good story now.
Lol. But what a learning curve......!! How often did you have to do laundry on the Baltic? Being a cooler climate, I figure sweat wasn't as much an issue?

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #577
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaurafsu
Ok the packing story makes me laugh. The lost luggage story makes me

I actually like the location...thanks for adding it to the map. Looks like it will be a good spot for doing a little sightseeing the day we leave. I was thinking we may do a HOHO bus when we get there just to get the lay of the land...then we can be ready to do some more serious sightseeing when we get back.
I am directionally incompetent. Seriously. I could get lost in a box. But....after that bike tour we did, intentionally so as to get the lay of the land, I now have a mental map of sorts of the lay of the city. If the HOHO will do that for you, I say hop on! ( get it...hop..on...???)

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #578
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Ok. I called Disney and reserved TWO rooms at the Renaissance (traveling with mom, son 20 & son 14). I thought they could hold them till I had a chance to investigate, but now I'm wondering if it would be bad (and just lazy) to pay the extra money and keep them?

The transportation is $30 per trip/per person. I was thinking of using AeroCity and shared ride services for about $20 a person. And again, I'm thinking about just sucking it up and using Disney. The last time, we used a cab and while it was easy, we ended up getting charged more because we were tourist. The driver pushed a button when we got in car and X amount went directly on fare meter.

What do y'all think? Would you search for a room that's cheaper and near The Renaissance and hoofing it over the morning of departure? Or just suck it up and stay thru Disney?
You kinda have to have 2 rooms, with that demographic. How many days are you going to be there pre cruise? And if you're there beforehand for more than a few hours, what kind of sightseeing are you going to do? And at what pace? My dad is currently in no shape to hike all over Barcelona, so we've planned accordingly. I'm hoping that changes a bit, but.........

Old 07-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #579
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:

Tell me how to use points? I have no idea. my mom has an AMEX with points.
You have to go thru the website that's linked thru the Amex site. Get her to log in and surf to the rewards area, then look for travel.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #580
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

We booked our post cruise hotel (2 rooms) on points...

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #581
tajz90
Mama D

We vaca hard and fast. Kids always call it boot camp. Since we've already visited, the first day we will just hit the places we've seen. The next day, I want to visit Montserrat. We missed it last time because of the shopping.

My only concern is wasting money. Just wanting to go easy. The room we had in 07 (we booked 2) we could have easily had one. We don't need a lot of room because we are rarely in the room. So we have the room booked so we don't miss out while trying to decide.

How are you traveling to/from port, airport, hotel? Are you going to utilize the city transportation? Cab? Disney?

Just washed late at night after the adult shows finished and only twice that I can think of.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #582
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
We vaca hard and fast. Kids always call it boot camp. Since we've already visited, the first day we will just hit the places we've seen. The next day, I want to visit Montserrat. We missed it last time because of the shopping.

My only concern is wasting money. Just wanting to go easy. The room we had in 07 (we booked 2) we could have easily had one. We don't need a lot of room because we are rarely in the room. So we have the room booked so we don't miss out while trying to decide.

How are you traveling to/from port, airport, hotel? Are you going to utilize the city transportation? Cab? Disney?
Lol! I answered your transportation question on the hotel thread.....Taxi. There is not enough benefit for me to spend $120 to get to the port when a taxi will cost less than half of that. I'm willing to bet the ship will be full, so no point getting to the port early to hunt for upgrades, and as they're going to take your luggage anyway as you get there, the rest of the check in process shouldn't be all that bad.

We'll be there 2 nights ore cruise, and one thing that my husband really wanted to do was cook. Go to one of the fabulous markets, get fresh stuff , and cook dinner! We really only like to eat out occasionally as greasy food makes us a bit ill, so I can honor that! And Mindy and her family will likely join us . Jim likes cooking too! For us, the apartment made a lot more sense than a hotel. All in the same space, 2 bathrooms, and a room to shut my dads snoring behind. for less $. We can do a quick load of laundry to start out the cruise with clean clothes. Wi-Fi!! Works for us!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #583
tajz90
Mama D

Wish I could remember stuff from last trip! You would think I would have written it own

Haven't decided. Took taxi from airport to hotel last time, thought we were ripped off. Want to carry as little Euro as possible. Trying to decide between cheaper and adventurous or mucho more and easy. Still have a year. Going to think more when kids head to school!

Yummy. You have a cook!!! Lucky you. and the market, I do remember that. The smells were wonderful!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #584
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:

Yummy. You have a cook!!! Lucky you. and the market, I do remember that. The smells were wonderful!
Perks of being married to a firefighter!

So, in anticipation of new outfits, I bout a cute new pair of sandals that were delivered today!! I needed something a bit cuter than Tevas. Tevas work for hiking Cinque Terre, but not exactly a fashion statement. And lately I've had some bursitis in my r heel (typing this while on an ice pack...) and they've been bugging me. My old Keens do nothing for me any more. They never used to rub, but now if I do any serious walking in them,I get blisters. So....I got Dansko sandals! I wear Danskos at work and love them, so I figured I might give them a try. They arrived today, and I spent all afternoon in them. I'm probably going to wear them all weekend before we leave for the east coast next week. They're leather uppers, so I'm hoping the straps won't rub. But the soles are amazing!

Tomorrow, Ashleigh and I are heading to the Pacific NW Mouse meet! There's a few imagineers and Paige O'Hara set to speak! And Dole Whips! And chocolate dipped Mickey mouse rice crispy treats! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #585
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

So. Finally did something for this cruise before the obsessive planner. I booked our airfare. Yes. I am now totally committed. But i'm holding Kim hostage here in Nj.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: