Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #451
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
Hi Beth! I ordered this one:

http://www.clikelite.com/products/pro-express/

It still hasn't arrived yet. It apparently is on the slowest driving truck EVER out of NY. It should be here tomorrow and I plan on taking pics of it with stuff crammed in it!

I was one of the people that rented a lens. I use BorrowLenses. They have an insurance option, and I've never had an issue with any of my orders! They have all sorts of camera gear.....totally worth checking out!

What lens is your husband "wishing" for? And what was your impression of the 2-day?

I hear you! I can't yet book my post stay, but I will by the end of next week! I'd have the private tours done, but I've been at work and crazy busy the last several days, and I needed Mindy to not flip out about it. I think I'm safe now....!

It'll be interesting to hear how your cruise goes! I figure with all the repeat ports, everything should be smooth sailing...(yes, pun intended!).

Hi Kim,
I peeked on Steve's amazon wish list and the lens is a Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM telephoto lens for a Canon SLR. Whatever that means -- it all sounds greek to me! I took a big gulp when I saw the price tag, even with it being on sale.

Steve also has a huge Leica scope that he lugs along when we go birding, though he hasn't done as much of it since the twins were born. He does use it with them to moon watch on clear nights so that is fun. He has a big backpack case for the leica and the tripod and binoculars when we are out birding. But I'm thinking he will be needing something else for his camera stuff for the Med and what you ordered does look good. I'm going to share it with him when he gets back from London to see what he thinks.

The 2-day NYC was fun fun fun! It did go by fast, but we all knew it would. Because we left the twins with Gram at our house, we spent most of our time in the adult areas that we normally don't venture in. We actually spent some time in the Quiet Cove pool with friends whom we've gotten to know cruising, we did late seating for dinner (never do that with the kids) we also went to a few of the adult shows, and Steve did a drink tasting with some of the guys (no way was I going to do that with the ship rocking). So all and all a completely different cruise than the ones with the kids.

Other impressions: the crowds seemed minimal compared to the Dream, probably because it seemed like lots of people were like us and left the kids at home. Our dining service team was very slow which was a bit annoying since we were among the first tables seated during the second seating. We barely scooted out of the dining room before the fireworks started going off. The couples we went with all dressed up for dinner, but I saw lots of people wearing super casual clothes both nights.

My one big splurge at the shops was to buy one of the really big beach blankets (it was $50 which gave me pause, I know I'm cheap!). I had seen one like it on Castaway Cay on our first cruise and then never saw it offered again. I hemmed and hawed about buying it when I saw it offered this time, and Steve said to go for it since I had been wanting it for so long. We brought the girls back some of the NY 2 day inaugural pins for their collection. Skye's favorite gift was a $2.99 woven bracelet that had the Disney Magic braided on it in her favorite colors of hot pink, lime and purple.

Steve did buy the big glass DCL beer mug and the bartender said that he could definitely bring it back on future cruises to get the beer special (I think it is $4.99 for refills). Even though he isn't a huge beer drinker, he thought that was really cool. It is heavy though, so we definitely WON'T be lugging that in our suitcases to the Med!

Overall, I'm glad we went and can't wait to get on another DCL ship. It will be the Wonder to Alaska in August. Yay!

Beth

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Dream: Bahamas Birthday 5/19/11; Bahamas Double-Dip 8/16/11
Disney Wonder: Alaska 8/13/12
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #452
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post
Hi Kim,
I peeked on Steve's amazon wish list and the lens is a Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM telephoto lens for a Canon SLR. Whatever that means -- it all sounds greek to me! I took a big gulp when I saw the price tag, even with it being on sale.

There are sites that will sell them used.....????? Not sure that would help that particular lens, tho...

The 2-day NYC was fun fun fun! It did go by fast, but we all knew it would. Because we left the twins with Gram at our house, we spent most of our time in the adult areas that we normally don't venture in. We actually spent some time in the Quiet Cove pool with friends whom we've gotten to know cruising, we did late seating for dinner (never do that with the kids) we also went to a few of the adult shows, and Steve did a drink tasting with some of the guys (no way was I going to do that with the ship rocking). So all and all a completely different cruise than the ones with the kids.

I'm looking forward to that adult experience in September.....

Overall, I'm glad we went and can't wait to get on another DCL ship. It will be the Wonder to Alaska in August. Yay!

Beth
I saw your comment about clothing in Mindy's TR. Our Alaska cruise departed aug 23, and no shorts were worn on the cruise. Not even for exercise. Brrrr! I see you're leaving on the aug 13th cruise (out of Seattle?). I'll already be out of town, or I'd suggest a dis meet!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #453
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

I ended up ordering that Clik Elite Pro Express in the black color off of Amazon to surprise Steve -- it was in the $169 range there instead of the regular price, plus free prime shipping. It should be here on Saturday. Then I realized that the cat was already out of the bag (I'm lousy with surprises) b/c I mentioned my purchase to Mindy on the Facebook 2-day group -- and he is a subscriber to that! Oh well. I know he will like it -- there were great reviews about it on the amazon site. And if he doesn't, he can send it back!

Disney Magic: Western Caribbean Halloween 10/30/10; NY to Nowhere 6/15/12; Southern Caribbean 10/11/14; Repo from San Juan to PC, 10/18/14; Magic in the Med 8/29/15
Disney Fantasy: Eastern Caribbean Thanksgiving 11/17/12; Eastern Caribbean 8/23/14
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #454
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
I saw your comment about clothing in Mindy's TR. Our Alaska cruise departed aug 23, and no shorts were worn on the cruise. Not even for exercise. Brrrr! I see you're leaving on the aug 13th cruise (out of Seattle?). I'll already be out of town, or I'd suggest a dis meet!
Yes she'll be on this coast Beth, actually she will be with me!!!

And then she's going to your area while you're on the left coast....

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #455
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Ok, not sure if this will work...

The bag arrived yesterday, and I fiddled with it this morning. I got 2 bags worth of stuff in this baby! Sean's been at work, so it's really him that needs to give the final ok. Since I had to take my computer into Apple yesterday for fan replacement (functioned fine but the noise was driving me nuts!), we're gonna try this on the iPad.

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #456
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Ok, that actually worked!

But since I'm not going to figure out how to resize the pics, here's a second batch. This first pic is the slot the hydration pack would slip into:

It's a bit cumbersome for me, but it's not all that heavy, considering all the stuff in it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #457
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Kim, The camera backpack looks great! I'm so glad I ordered one for Steve as it looks like he has similar "stuff" to go in those compartments. Can't wait for him to get home next week and test it out!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #458
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
I ended up ordering that Clik Elite Pro Express in the black color off of Amazon to surprise Steve -- it was in the $169 range there instead of the regular price, plus free prime shipping. It should be here on Saturday. Then I realized that the cat was already out of the bag (I'm lousy with surprises) b/c I mentioned my purchase to Mindy on the Facebook 2-day group -- and he is a subscriber to that! Oh well. I know he will like it -- there were great reviews about it on the amazon site. And if he doesn't, he can send it back!
And there's plenty of room for that 300 lens in the middle.......

Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #459
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Kim, The camera backpack looks great! I'm so glad I ordered one for Steve as it looks like he has similar "stuff" to go in those compartments. Can't wait for him to get home next week and test it out!
I figure I probably wouldn't always carry all the lenses. Then rain jackets might be crammed in instead. Or other stuff.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #460
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

OMG ..that sucker's huge....just for camera equipment??? That's why I just use my little camera and count on you for the good stuff

Can you fit other stuff in it? Or will you have to carry two bags? How will Sean feel carrying that if it's hot?

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 06-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #461
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And there's plenty of room for that 300 lens in the middle.......
The cost of that lens would pay for a short cruise!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #462
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
OMG ..that sucker's huge....just for camera equipment??? That's why I just use my little camera and count on you for the good stuff

Can you fit other stuff in it? Or will you have to carry two bags? How will Sean feel carrying that if it's hot?
Sean seems to like it well enough. And the iPad fits in there. Means no purse. And fit what else in there?
And good thing I'm planning on having it if I'm the one being relied on for good stuff!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #463
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
The cost of that lens would pay for a short cruise!!!
So true....

Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #464
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Kim - my unofficial TA. - should I be booked my hotel for precruise, assuming I just need the one night?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #465
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Wow... What a very nice bag. I always have good intentions of switching lens on tours but I never do because I'm trying to take all the sights in. Even though I'm not on dcl anymore I'm still looking for good tips. I saw this blog and found good info on Malta. http://www.thepreismans.com/. The info is under the lastest cruise from May 2012. They used a private tour guide. http://www.touringmalta.com/. I'm researching for our cruise as I want to make we see the best things in each port. Happy planning.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: