Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #376
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
I wouldn't consider that geeky. Functional, yes. DD isnt going to take it on excursion, I don't think. I'd be willing to bet she gets annoyed witht the strap rubbing after a while. We'll have to test that theory this summer. My intent was for her to carry it for the plane. She can carry her own entertainment!
Okay that makes more sense. Mine just take their school backpack and it is jammed full of stuff. But they have no problems carrying it. Thankfully they are carrying less Polly Pocket type stuff these days. They use to bring these Polly Pocket toys with them everytime we traveled. It was such a joy. Now it is a few books, ipod, DS games, etc.. I still worry about them losing stuff though. I'm hoping both my kids have the kindle by our next Europe Cruise so we can download books for them to read. My oldest has one but not the youngest yet. This will eliminate a lot of space. Gotta love technology.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #377
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
P.S. I bought the Rick Steves' Rome book today. The 2012 version. I even contacted the apt manager that I want to rent from. I know it is a bit early but I really want this apartment because it has a washer and dryer and RCCL and NCL don't have self-service laundry. I found a lot of apartments just have the washer but you hang your clothes out to dry on a line. You see, I'm already missing Disney. So, I figured we'll need to do laundry between the 2 cruises. I can't figure out how people do long Europe trips without laundry. There is no way I'd want someone else to wash my underwear.
No laundry!!! Eek! And yeah...ewwwwww.....

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #378
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
No laundry!!! Eek! And yeah...ewwwwww.....
Come and fess up...Kim...Laundry is an ewww because.....who does it on the cruise Sean and Jim....

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #379
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
Come and fess up...Kim...Laundry is an ewww because.....who does it on the cruise Sean and Jim....
I wish! Sean will help, but it's usually me that initiates laundry.

The ewwwww was the thought about someone else laundering my undies....

And while I was trying to go to sleep last night, I was trying to imagine passing for not being able to do laundry. That is one scary thought!!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #380
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Have I ever mentioned that I am not by nature a patient person? You might have figured this one out on your own, but I like to get things done and settled and that will be that. I have come, I have planned, I want to make reservations! (I think there needs to be a Latin translation for that...it could be my own family crest!!)

So, in my quest to entertain myself their afternoon, I went to go make Go-Car reservations for our first full day in Barcelona. Why so soon? Because I COULD!! And it's KILLING me not to be able to do so with other items. Breathe in, breathe out.....So come to find out after going further into the reservation process than ever before, that they will charge you NOW!! Uh, really? How about a hold with charge only if you don't cancel X number of days out? Oh, and another reason I wanted to do it now is that I'm afraid their rates might rise! I looked into doing this in San Francisco when we were there a few weeks ago and it is significantly more expensive in SF than in Barcelona. And yes, I am taking into consideration the exchange rate. But moving on...no way am I parting with money for this now. So, this gets tabled for a year...and I think if I broach the topic of booking some of the other things that I could book Mindy might kill me.

On the bright side, I'm glad to know that I get to pre-pay this activity! (BTW, apparently tax gets charged later...???) I prepay tips, I prepaid "credit" to my onboard account in AK...much to Mindy's chagrin. I have no doubt she'll tell you her perspective on that matter. I even (gasp ) just made an interim payment on the cruise!! Why? Because I'm getting 5x points until the end of this billing cycle. I'm padding my Disney Visa with points, baby! Woot! That, and while my goal was to NOT spend the money I'm saving for the cruise, reality is that's not happening. So, spend it once and I won't spend it again (no really...way too spun up to live on a deficit on my credit card. It gets paid off monthly or sooner!)

Some people argue on these boards that if you pre-pay tips what happens if the service isn't up to par? Well, have you ever heard of any DCL staff that just plain sucked? Me neither. I've heard people whine that x,y,or z wasn't perfect...but some people have unrealistic expectations. For both of my cruises, I ended up adding significant amounts to the servers and room hosts. I'm willing to risk it. Just my opinion.

So, to branch off the topic of Med cruise planning, I get to actually plan a cruise for just Sean and I!! Baring having any difficulties moving a previous reservation from this September to March of next year (Friday is 11 months out...then I should be able to finalize things), we are going to do a 4-night Dream to the Bahamas after our Tower of Terror 10-mile run for our 15th anniversary!! I am not a big proponent of cruises to nowhere (of which I do consider this, as I probably won't even get off the boat in Nassau), but how better to celebrate an anniversary? No kid (who was sooooooo peeved when she heard), and nothing but the adult pool area! So...Palo or Remy? Or both? Ahhh....something else to plan!!
We prepaid our tips on our first two cruises and felt that our service was excellent! We ended up tipping our cabin stewards extra both times and our assts servers extra both times (the servers were good, but not great). Anyway, I'm not positive they even know if you've prepaid. And on the Med they will be prepaid, well, pre-charged, to your account regardless.

I got the Disney card as well and paid off our EBTA and the Med cruise already! I also prepaid the tips. I want everything on there possible while I'm getting the 5%! I figure our savings isn't making any real interest right now, so I might as well get the 5% while I can. (I even paid off my mom and dad's cruise. They didn't get an OBC for booking onboard as we did, but this way they get my Visa OBC, the OBC for booking online and an OBC from our travel agent! They are divorced and in separate rooms, so they'll each have enough to cover tips and a few drinks.)

Love the travel purse! I might need to get something like that.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #381
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
I got the Disney card as well and paid off our EBTA and the Med cruise already! I also prepaid the tips. I want everything on there possible while I'm getting the 5%! I figure our savings isn't making any real interest right now, so I might as well get the 5% while I can. (I even paid off my mom and dad's cruise. They didn't get an OBC for booking onboard as we did, but this way they get my Visa OBC, the OBC for booking online and an OBC from our travel agent! They are divorced and in separate rooms, so they'll each have enough to cover tips and a few drinks.)

Love the travel purse! I might need to get something like that.
Those are some points!! I'm not brave enough to leave that much on my card for that long. I'm hoping for one of those occasional offers that most cards give out...the "register to receive x# of extra points...". Just got one for the card I use for airline miles. Just in time to book the trip to the east coast this summer!

I'm still debating the color but am gonna order one of those purses!!!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #382
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Those are some points!! I'm not brave enough to leave that much on my card for that long. I'm hoping for one of those occasional offers that most cards give out...the "register to receive x# of extra points...". Just got one for the card I use for airline miles. Just in time to book the trip to the east coast this summer!
Just to be clear, I paid off the card. I wouldn't ever leave a balance on there . I know there's the six months with zero interest for DCL stuff, but it still sort of freaks me out. Originally we were going to pay a little at a time to DCL until PIF. But with the new card it just made sense to pay in full on the card and pay that off with some savings and then put our monthly payments back into savings instead
Old 04-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #383
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Just to be clear, I paid off the card. I wouldn't ever leave a balance on there . I know there's the six months with zero interest for DCL stuff, but it still sort of freaks me out. Originally we were going to pay a little at a time until PIF. But with the new card it just made sense to pay with some savings and then put our monthly payments back into savings instead
Ok, I can see that being very beneficial...

Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #384
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Did y'all see this??

I copied and pasted this from the main board. Wow. A bit pricey.

Med with Greece itinerary ABD add-on

adult $$3149, child $2989

Gratuities NOT included this time, photos still are.

Adventure Highlights:
Take a private tour of Rome's most famous landmarks, including the Coliseum, Forum,
Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, as well as the Vatican City Museum and Sistine Chapel.
Visit Panathinaiko, the historic venue where the modern Olympics were first held with
Junior Adventurers able to join in a mini marathon just for fun.
Enjoy lunch in the heart of Ephesus where you'll get to try Turkish coffee.
A chef will teach you how to prepare some classic Greek favorites in a cooking
class with an idyllic setting on the island of Mykonos.
Enjoy swimming off the coast of Malta.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #385
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Ok, I can see that being very beneficial...
You quoted me so quickly! I actually edited my post but you quoted me before I managed to edit it.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #386
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
You quoted me so quickly! I actually edited my post but you quoted me before I managed to edit it.
I'm catching up on all I missed today!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #387
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
I copied and pasted this from the main board. Wow. A bit pricey.

Med with Greece itinerary ABD add-on

adult $$3149, child $2989

Gratuities NOT included this time, photos still are.

Adventure Highlights:
Take a private tour of Rome's most famous landmarks, including the Coliseum, Forum,
Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, as well as the Vatican City Museum and Sistine Chapel.
Visit Panathinaiko, the historic venue where the modern Olympics were first held with
Junior Adventurers able to join in a mini marathon just for fun.
Enjoy lunch in the heart of Ephesus where you'll get to try Turkish coffee.
A chef will teach you how to prepare some classic Greek favorites in a cooking
class with an idyllic setting on the island of Mykonos.
Enjoy swimming off the coast of Malta.
Hmmmm....I feel like I've seen this somewhere before

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #388
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
I'm catching up on all I missed today!
Doesn't that blow???? It was so much easier catching up at your leisure....wasn't it?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #389
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
Doesn't that blow???? It was so much easier catching up at your leisure....wasn't it?
It's a double edged sword...far more efficient now...

Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #390
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

It finally came in!

The DVD I've been waiting for, of course!

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/c....aspx?cid=3231

This is a full on educational course!!! Sean and I are going to watch some tonight and I'll post about it tomorrow.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: