Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #271
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
Welcome!! Now you need to sit your DH in front of this and prove to him that you're not crazy...there's a lot of perfectly normal (?) people out there just like you!!

Do you have any cruises in the works??
lol I think you are right…but he will probably just tell me that we are all crazy And I fully admit to having a Disney problem, so he could be right!

We are going on a Canada/New England Coast cruise in September for our Anniversary! I'm pretty excited about it, its been a while since I've been on a cruise. I have a ptr link in my signature if you would like to stop by

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #272
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
A friend of mine suggested the Nikon D3100 as a user friendly beginner DSLR. I just spent a ton of time looking at your photos and I'm so excited to get my camera!! The colors in your photos are gorgeous and so crisp! I'm just worried that I won't have "an eye" for photography like you do but I'm going to give it my best shot. Your eagle photo is beautiful! We live out in the country and we have eagles flying around our house as well. A few weeks ago I was bummed that I didn't have a decent camera because I could see something giant in one of our trees and when I went to investigate it was a golden eagle, just gorgeous!!

I will have to look into renting a lens while on vacation because at this point I need to be saving up for the airfare! I really appreciate your tips!
My DH has the same camera as Kim and I take pictures with it all the time. A person's "eye" is very important...I certainly don't have Kim's and her pictures are always better than mine. I'm trying to learn by watching her. Some of it is practice and some natural talent.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #273
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
lol I think you are right…but he will probably just tell me that we are all crazy And I fully admit to having a Disney problem, so he could be right!

We are going on a Canada/New England Coast cruise in September for our Anniversary! I'm pretty excited about it, its been a while since I've been on a cruise. I have a ptr link in my signature if you would like to stop by
Hey - Don't listen to Kim...she is pretty crazy No in all seriousness...you get a lot of good information and reviews from these boards. It so helps in the planning. I wouldn't do the cruise without it.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #274
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Subscribing

I'm only on page 7 so far, but I'm loving it.

And if you respond to this, it'll be ages before I see it since I have a lot of catching up to do

A few things, I'm from the Bay Area as well and you look remarkably familiar! And we live in Washington now. Crazy.

I have twin girls who will be turning 9 when we disembark our Mediterranean cruise. We are taking the transatlantic and the first Med of the season. We are very excited and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible over the next 14 months. Might as well start obsessing by reading your obsessing!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #275
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
Hey - Don't listen to Kim...she is pretty crazy No in all seriousness...you get a lot of good information and reviews from these boards. It so helps in the planning. I wouldn't do the cruise without it.
I have been on Disney trips for years, but there are a ton of knowledgeable people and interesting information on the boards so it is still really helpful. First hand reviews and opinions are also really helpful and you can't really get them anywhere else.

About the crazy… lol I'm okay with her being crazy and me being crazy and well us all being crazy We aren't hurting anyone, right?!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #276
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
A friend of mine suggested the Nikon D3100 as a user friendly beginner DSLR. I just spent a ton of time looking at your photos and I'm so excited to get my camera!! The colors in your photos are gorgeous and so crisp! I'm just worried that I won't have "an eye" for photography like you do but I'm going to give it my best shot. Your eagle photo is beautiful! We live out in the country and we have eagles flying around our house as well. A few weeks ago I was bummed that I didn't have a decent camera because I could see something giant in one of our trees and when I went to investigate it was a golden eagle, just gorgeous!!

I will have to look into renting a lens while on vacation because at this point I need to be saving up for the airfare! I really appreciate your tips!
I looked at the Nikons when I was researching cameras and the Canon just "fit" better in my hands. You can't miss with either brand...

Now as far as my "eye".....remember you're seeing edited pics! I'm still learning, but I'm getting better at it. I don't have time right now, but I caught a few good ones last weekend that I'll post later....practice really improves over time. And sometimes, it's just plain luck!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #277
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
I will check it out! Thanks!

Quote:
I have been on Disney trips for years, but there are a ton of knowledgeable people and interesting information on the boards so it is still really helpful. First hand reviews and opinions are also really helpful and you can't really get them anywhere else.

About the crazy… lol I'm okay with her being crazy and me being crazy and well us all being crazy We aren't hurting anyone, right?!
LOL!! I'm ok with a little bit crazy!

And I love the tidbits of info you can find on the boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
Subscribing

I'm only on page 7 so far, but I'm loving it.

And if you respond to this, it'll be ages before I see it since I have a lot of catching up to do

A few things, I'm from the Bay Area as well and you look remarkably familiar! And we live in Washington now. Crazy.

I have twin girls who will be turning 9 when we disembark our Mediterranean cruise. We are taking the transatlantic and the first Med of the season. We are very excited and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible over the next 14 months. Might as well start obsessing by reading your obsessing!
Welcome!!! But don't you actually get sun over at the Gorge?? I'm a bit jealous....

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #278
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Now as far as my "eye".....remember you're seeing edited pics! I'm still learning, but I'm getting better at it. I don't have time right now, but I caught a few good ones last weekend that I'll post later....practice really improves over time. And sometimes, it's just plain luck!
So here's some before and after examples of edited pics. Just goes to show that sometimes the software is mightier than the sword...or something like that! Before:

Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #279
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

and after:

Old 03-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #280
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Welcome!!! But don't you actually get sun over at the Gorge?? I'm a bit jealous....
Not lately . We returned from our MR trip on Sunday the 4th. It snowed here on the 5th. And again on the 12th. And then again yesterday. And today is just rain, rain, rain .

About 25 miles further east from us has much different weather. They get far more sun than we do. Don't get me wrong, I love living here! But we don't have as much sun as I'd prefer. Think Portland, but with better views
Old 03-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #281
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

All caught up

Tchotchkes is how it's spelled. What is so funny to me is that I can't spell at all, drives my DH insane, and yet I can spell that crazy word

Thanks to you my Rick Steves book is in the mail. I ordered his Mediterranean ports book. I've also broken out an older version of Passporter's DCL book that includes the ports from 2010.

DH and I took our girls on our first cruise last year. It was a DCL MR KSF. DH didn't have anything to do with the planning (sound familiar?) and was a bit taken aback by it all. He thought I was insane trolling around on the DisBoards for all those months. And then we got on the boat and he had a blast! He was so happy I'd done all that research. By the second day he was saying we needed to book another cruise (we'd boarded thinking it was a once in a lifetime trip). We rebooked for the same cruise this year and just got off on 3/4. It was the best trip ever. We just had a great time as a family and as a couple.

While onboard we rebooked for the transatlantic and the first Med of the season. But what's really crazy is that we didn't know what cruise we were going to take and actually had two others also booked. We were only going to take one of them, but which? We had the WBPC, an EC on the Fantasy and then the EBTA booked. Once we decided to add the Med we decided to really go for it. Finally cancelled the WBPC and the EC and focusing fully on the EBTA and the Med. DH got the ok to take off three weeks and I've checked with the girls' school and it'll be no problem to take them out of school.

We also contacted my various family members and some of them will join us on the Med. My aunt is an obsessive planner like me, so we're going to have a great time going over itineraries, etc. My mother is a free spirit (that's a nice way of putting it, flaky would be another way of putting it) says she's coming, but until I see her set foot on the boat, I won't really believe it. My father, no longer married ot my mom, might also join us!

No one in my family is a Disney person. In fact, neither are my husband or me. (She says, while looking at her beautiful DCL logo ring that she just bought while on the Wonder ) We haven't done the parks and we don't really plan on it. But we've become obsessed with DCL and can't imagine ever cruising with anyone else. Neither DH nor I drink and we don't gamble plus we have little kids, so DCL just fits us. But I am a little worried about how my family will enjoy the cruise. I am hopeful they'll love it. Regardless, we will have a blast

So, I'm in for your report! But wait, you knew that already.

Oh, have you looked at DCL air? We are doing it through them. I figure I might find a better deal elsewhere and can cancel the Disney Air if I need to. But it's $1175 for each of us. Gets us from Portland, Oregon to Galveston and then from Barcelona back to Portland.

ETA While on the Wonder my husband bought four DCL shirts and two DCL visors. I got the ring and two shirts. Plus we got various things like coasters and key rings. So I say we aren't Disney people, but I guess we have become Disney people.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #282
ShinyDaisy
Mouseketeer

Hi! I just started reading last night; I've subscribed but haven't gotten that far yet. You're writing is great!! Thank you for sharing with all of us!

We are hoping to cruise the Med next summer.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #283
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyDaisy View Post
Hi! I just started reading last night; I've subscribed but haven't gotten that far yet. You're writing is great!! Thank you for sharing with all of us!

We are hoping to cruise the Med next summer.
Welcome! Hope you book! Don't wait until the prices go up any further! Easier to cancel......(I am a bad influence....)

Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #284
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
All caught up

Tchotchkes is how it's spelled. What is so funny to me is that I can't spell at all, drives my DH insane, and yet I can spell that crazy word

Thanks to you my Rick Steves book is in the mail. I ordered his Mediterranean ports book. I've also broken out an older version of Passporter's DCL book that includes the ports from 2010.

DH and I took our girls on our first cruise last year. It was a DCL MR KSF. DH didn't have anything to do with the planning (sound familiar?) and was a bit taken aback by it all. He thought I was insane trolling around on the DisBoards for all those months. And then we got on the boat and he had a blast! He was so happy I'd done all that research. By the second day he was saying we needed to book another cruise (we'd boarded thinking it was a once in a lifetime trip). We rebooked for the same cruise this year and just got off on 3/4. It was the best trip ever. We just had a great time as a family and as a couple.

While onboard we rebooked for the transatlantic and the first Med of the season. But what's really crazy is that we didn't know what cruise we were going to take and actually had two others also booked. We were only going to take one of them, but which? We had the WBPC, an EC on the Fantasy and then the EBTA booked. Once we decided to add the Med we decided to really go for it. Finally cancelled the WBPC and the EC and focusing fully on the EBTA and the Med. DH got the ok to take off three weeks and I've checked with the girls' school and it'll be no problem to take them out of school.

We also contacted my various family members and some of them will join us on the Med. My aunt is an obsessive planner like me, so we're going to have a great time going over itineraries, etc. My mother is a free spirit (that's a nice way of putting it, flaky would be another way of putting it) says she's coming, but until I see her set foot on the boat, I won't really believe it. My father, no longer married ot my mom, might also join us!

No one in my family is a Disney person. In fact, neither are my husband or me. (She says, while looking at her beautiful DCL logo ring that she just bought while on the Wonder ) We haven't done the parks and we don't really plan on it. But we've become obsessed with DCL and can't imagine ever cruising with anyone else. Neither DH nor I drink and we don't gamble plus we have little kids, so DCL just fits us. But I am a little worried about how my family will enjoy the cruise. I am hopeful they'll love it. Regardless, we will have a blast

So, I'm in for your report! But wait, you knew that already.

Oh, have you looked at DCL air? We are doing it through them. I figure I might find a better deal elsewhere and can cancel the Disney Air if I need to. But it's $1175 for each of us. Gets us from Portland, Oregon to Galveston and then from Barcelona back to Portland.

ETA While on the Wonder my husband bought four DCL shirts and two DCL visors. I got the ring and two shirts. Plus we got various things like coasters and key rings. So I say we aren't Disney people, but I guess we have become Disney people.
ROTFL!!!! Thanks for the spelling update!

LOVE the Rick Steves stuff....in fact...my iPad arrived today (), and after getting everything set up, the Med Cruise Ports book was my first purchase!!!

Glad to hear the MR was a good trip! You hear so much bad stuff coming out of Mexico these days....

I sooooooo wish we could do a TA, but Sean's work changed their bargaining agreement and him getting more than 2 weeks off is a chore. The only way we're doing it next summer is that he's taking off the "summer" dates pre-scheduled and will do trades for the 2 shifts we'll need for travel over to Barcelona. I haven't entertained DCL air at this point. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's something really crazy like 3k per person. DO NOT quote me on that, tho. You have the benefit of going off-season...I'll be driving thru Portland next week, btw!!!

And as far as the husband becoming a convert...we were walking thru the store this afternoon and Sean starts humming the ringtone to my phone...Spectromagic.....!!!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #285
NanNan
Earning My Ears

Wow, Kim.
Those pictures and the editing are amazing! I wonder what the occasion was? Looks like some sort of memorial day, so stunning.
Well, another one of us, thanks to you, have Rick Steves Med ports book in hand and are learning sooo much, which makes it all so exciting!
Also looked at apartments, just as you said much more realistic. I sometimes get a Starwood hot rate with my brother working for the Sheraton, which the Meridian is part of that group, but no luck on the rate there. The apartments look like they will suit us better anyway with my daughter and her other half.
Is it spring out there anywhere? Here has been funny here, but typically Alberta. mild with some snow then sun then wind then rain-we always say if you don't like the weather to wait 10 minutes, it will change!
NanNan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: