Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #241
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Btw..

I picked up one of the DVD's I had held at the library. It was called:More ultimate cruise collection and was produced by Questar (??). It was cheesy and dated, but had nice scenic shots of the areas we'll be visiting. It's going back today, but the other DVD I requested is still listed as "in-process" so who knows how long that will take to get sent out!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #242
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

I finally had time today to sit down and look at potential lodging and plot them out on the map I got last weekend. Then, I plotted the GoCar site, and BAM! I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out where I'd like to stay. Now, I just need to wait the interminably long time until I can book it. Oh, and I probably should clear it with Sean and my dad......

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #243
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
I finally had time today to sit down and look at potential lodging and plot them out on the map I got last weekend. Then, I plotted the GoCar site, and BAM! I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out where I'd like to stay. Now, I just need to wait the interminably long time until I can book it. Oh, and I probably should clear it with Sean and my dad......
Hmmm...thinking that there may be other traveling buddies that might light to know information

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #244
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
Hmmm...thinking that there may be other traveling buddies that might light to know information
LOL! I'm going to figure out pin drops and whatnot on Google Maps....much easier to see a visual...

Old 03-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #245
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
LOL! I'm going to figure out pin drops and whatnot on Google Maps....much easier to see a visual...
So I tinkered most of the morning (in between ordering my new iPad!!!) and think I've made a reasonable map with lots of hotels, sites, Starbucks (for Jim ), and stuff. If you PM me your email address, I'll be more than happy to give it to you. Hmm...not sure that I need an email address, but PM me all the same and we'll try it that way. I emailed it to Mindy and she said it pulled up a map but that she didn't know what she was looking at. Hmmm....maybe I should email it to DH and see what his pulls up....

Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #246
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
So I tinkered most of the morning (in between ordering my new iPad!!!) and think I've made a reasonable map with lots of hotels, sites, Starbucks (for Jim ), and stuff. If you PM me your email address, I'll be more than happy to give it to you. Hmm...not sure that I need an email address, but PM me all the same and we'll try it that way. I emailed it to Mindy and she said it pulled up a map but that she didn't know what she was looking at. Hmmm....maybe I should email it to DH and see what his pulls up....
It worked fine...I just didn't know which places I was supposed to focus on ...

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #247
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been closely following this thread and I'm getting so much out of it! I've just gone and "liked" Rick Steves on FB and I also bought his Mediterranean Cruise Ports book and read it cover to cover! Of course I'll forget it all by the time the cruise rolls around so I'll have to read it again! I'm currently obsessed with pickpocketers as Rick Steves mentions it so much. Please don't google pickpocketers in Europe if you don't want to become paranoid! LOL! And this is what one site says about camera bags (possibly why Rick Steves doesn't carry camera bags) •When you aren’t using your camera, keep it stowed in a plain bag (a camera bag is like carrying a big sign that says to thieves “Yo! Over here. Steal this camera.”).

Anyway - I know exactly where I want to stay in Barcelona as well but now I just have to wait until I can book it. All this waiting is killing me!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #248
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
I've been closely following this thread and I'm getting so much out of it! I've just gone and "liked" Rick Steves on FB and I also bought his Mediterranean Cruise Ports book and read it cover to cover! Of course I'll forget it all by the time the cruise rolls around so I'll have to read it again! I'm currently obsessed with pickpocketers as Rick Steves mentions it so much. Please don't google pickpocketers in Europe if you don't want to become paranoid! LOL! And this is what one site says about camera bags (possibly why Rick Steves doesn't carry camera bags) •When you aren’t using your camera, keep it stowed in a plain bag (a camera bag is like carrying a big sign that says to thieves “Yo! Over here. Steal this camera.”).
I've seen that quote, and considering how much money I've spent on my gear, I'm not so inclined to agree with that statement. For me photography is a big hobby for me and I get such enjoyment out of looking at my pictures in subsequent years! For me, it's about the right bag. And, as my DH is more paranoid than I am, I have him to watch my back, literally. Most of the time when I use my camera, I have it around my neck and am holding on to it in some way to prevent the lens from impacting with something. So, while someone can try to slice off the bag from Sean's back, there wouldn't be much in it.

Sean was looking thru some sort of adventure magazine (one I'd NEVER even think of opening) and came across this line of bags:

http://www.clikelite.com/

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.clikelite.com/products/jetpack-15”/

BTW, it's far cheaper at Adorama or Amazon. But the best pictures are on the manufacturer's site.

And I agree with googling "pickpocketers in Europe". Horror stories abound!

Anybody else doing any interesting planning? I've been stuck dealing with some work issues and have been distracted. And I still haven't gotten my sewing machine back , tho my computer is behaving.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #249
gailg3horses
Mouseketeer

I've also been reading the med cruise ports book by Rick Steves. Enjoying it. I was also able to get his full set of travel dvds (from a work rewards program place of all places). Haven't watched all of them yet but the ones I've seen I most enjoy the scenery and getting an idea of what the area is like.

So I'm wondering, which ports do people plan on using disney excursions for, and where are you planning on going off on your own?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #250
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailg3horses View Post
I've also been reading the med cruise ports book by Rick Steves. Enjoying it. I was also able to get his full set of travel dvds (from a work rewards program place of all places). Haven't watched all of them yet but the ones I've seen I most enjoy the scenery and getting an idea of what the area is like.

So I'm wondering, which ports do people plan on using disney excursions for, and where are you planning on going off on your own?
Very cool that you were able to get the DVD's from work! I love looking at all the scenery, too!

Most likely. Villefranche will be done with no tour of any sort, La Spezia and Rome likely with a privately arranged tour, not sure yet about Athens or Turkey. Mykonos looks easy to do on your own. There appears to be a ferry to Delos easily reachable from the port. Malta might be a combo of a tour and on our own. I'd like to see the blue grotto first thing in the am, then do the town after that.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #251
jmpaula
Earning My Ears

Us too!

Hi! we are booked on that trip too! Right now it is just us, my brother and his family and I am hoping my parents wil come too. My 2 DS will be 8 and 11. Do you know the best way to get to Barcelona from Orlando. Thanks,
jmpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #252
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Very cool that you were able to get the DVD's from work! I love looking at all the scenery, too!

Most likely. Villefranche will be done with no tour of any sort, La Spezia and Rome likely with a privately arranged tour, not sure yet about Athens or Turkey. Mykonos looks easy to do on your own. There appears to be a ferry to Delos easily reachable from the port. Malta might be a combo of a tour and on our own. I'd like to see the blue grotto first thing in the am, then do the town after that.
Since Kim is my very own personal travel agent we're doing what she's doing, I think....she likes to plan. She knows I can't start the planning until closer to the date and I need to have a job to pay for this first.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #253
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpaula View Post
Hi! we are booked on that trip too! Right now it is just us, my brother and his family and I am hoping my parents wil come too. My 2 DS will be 8 and 11. Do you know the best way to get to Barcelona from Orlando. Thanks,
Welcome...

I also have a DS - he will be just 12 when we go. Not sure the cheapest way to get there from Orlando, but with 2 kids I would try to go direct. I would think you should have a large choice of airline because almost everyone flies into Orlando.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #254
o&smom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailg3horses View Post

We also plan on doing Villefranche on our own. (me, DH, DS 9 & DD 3 at time of cruise). We went to Monaco on our own last time and want to see Eze this time. La Spezia will probably be a Cinque Terre visit on our own as well. Last time was Pisa with Disney - awesome! Since we did Rome with Disney last time and we now have a clue about the lay of the land there we are planning on taking the train in on our own. Athens will most likely be a Disney tour of some sort as well as a Disney excursion to Ephesus in Turkey. Mykonos is another that looks " doable" on our own as well. We explored Malta on our own last time ( do not miss St John's Co- cathedral!!) but may look into some kind of excursion with Disney this time. Do not be afraid to do some of these ports on your own. We had never been to any of these places prior to our cruise and felt very comfortable without a tour. Even Rome, which seemed way too overwhelming in theory will be easy to do on our own.

Happy planning!

Marni
Disney Magic 12-Day E Med Cruise with Greece & Turkey June 2013
Disney Fantasy Very Merry Christmas/ New Year '14/'15 - Hello Gold!
Disney Magic N European Cruise June 2015
DL - 1/07, DLH 2/09, GC 1/10, GC 1/14
WDW - POR, Epcot, MK 4/12
DLP - 6/13
o&smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #255
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've seen that quote, and considering how much money I've spent on my gear, I'm not so inclined to agree with that statement. For me photography is a big hobby for me and I get such enjoyment out of looking at my pictures in subsequent years! For me, it's about the right bag. And, as my DH is more paranoid than I am, I have him to watch my back, literally. Most of the time when I use my camera, I have it around my neck and am holding on to it in some way to prevent the lens from impacting with something. So, while someone can try to slice off the bag from Sean's back, there wouldn't be much in it.

Sean was looking thru some sort of adventure magazine (one I'd NEVER even think of opening) and came across this line of bags:

http://www.clikelite.com/

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.clikelite.com/products/jetpack-15”/

BTW, it's far cheaper at Adorama or Amazon. But the best pictures are on the manufacturer's site.

And I agree with googling "pickpocketers in Europe". Horror stories abound!

Anybody else doing any interesting planning? I've been stuck dealing with some work issues and have been distracted. And I still haven't gotten my sewing machine back , tho my computer is behaving.
Thank you for the links! I just ordered a new camera just for this trip and I've got a little over a year to learn how to use it! Wish me luck! I was looking for some camera bags last night as well and I also found these ones.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...6f9626f32a9e40

Seeing as I'm new to DSLRs, I'd love to see more photos that you have from your trip! Do you have them on a site anywhere?

Last edited by Tracerr00; 03-14-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: