Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Talking 2 Friends & A Ninja Turtle ~ July 2011 Trip Report - Complete - Photo Heavy!

Hello! So, I'm FINALLY writing my trip report ... after, what? 6 months?
Well, better late than never!

If you didn't catch my PTR, it's here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2739272

Brief Introductions

Me! (Kris)
I had just turned 24 for this trip I LOVE Disney and am the planner of the group ^_^
Favorite Character: Ariel & Eeyore
Favorite WDW Ride: Space Mountain
Favorite WDW Food: Dole Whip Float (we call it 'Pinapple Float')

Jon
My Hubby! He was 25 at the time of this trip. He is a bit shy when showing the 'kid' side of him ... but I think we pulled it out of him!
Favorite Character: Stitch
Favorite WDW Ride: Splash Mountain
Favorite WDW Food: Dole Whip Float

Amanda
A very good friend of the family. I have known Amanda since we were 7. She's 24 here.
This was her first ever vacation to anything Disney, as well as her first ever plane trip
Favorite Character: Belle
Favorite WDW Ride: Haunted Mansion
Favorite WDW Food: Dole Whip Float

This is my first ever Trip Report, so please hold tight! I have no idea how this will turn out!
But I do hope you enjoy reading of our adventures and that it will bring you those magical warm fuzzy feelings

Purpose of trip, dates & table of contents in next post

Past Disney Trips
Disneyland 1995 • 2005 • 2013
Disney World 2008 CBR (Honeymoon) • 2011 POFQ • 2012 AoA/POR • 2013 AKV/CBR
Disney Cruise 2012 ~ Graduation

Last edited by Amunet; 08-31-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents

The Who: Jon, Amanda & Me
The Where: Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter
The When: July 26th - 31st, 2011
The Why: DH's and I 3rd Year Anniversary + Graduation Celebration + Late Bday Present (for me!) + Amanda's First Ever Disney/Plane Experience

Past Disney Trips

Last edited by Amunet; 08-31-2012 at 04:14 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Amunet
DIS Veteran

And I was riding the back of the Ferry ...

While the planning of this trip started months before ... the REAL trip didn't start until Amanda drove down.
You know why this is the start? Because it was the first sleepless night of the trip!

On July 25th, Amanda drove down (with a friend) from Washington State to Utah. The night before I had the strangest dream! Which included me riding on the back of a Ferry to sneak her over the border.

Upon arrival, after micro naps for me and barely any sleep for Amanda, we bombarded her with the WDW planning DVD as well as how our meal plan will work. Needless to say, when we went to bed that night, she was the only one that actually got sound sleep!

Next Up
Amanda's First Airplane Ride & Disney World!

Past Disney Trips

Last edited by Amunet; 02-01-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Friendly Pat-Down

It's Disney TIME! WAKE UP!!
That is what my brain was saying ALL NIGHT. So at 3am, I finally decided to wake up and just do some preparations.

Was it ? Nope. Was it Packing? No. It was ... BREAKFAST! I woke Jon up (to be honest, his brain was telling him the same thing) and we drove over to McDonalds! I know, I know, not the best breakfast in the world, but we are addicted to the breakfast sandwiches!

Jon and I both ate our noms and saved the rest for Amanda, when she woke up. Because of the day prior, Amanda got (at most) 2 hours of sleep! So she was out like a light.

I did end up taking in a 1 hour nap prior to leaving ... but we got a late start because I had temporarily misplaced my ipod, and I NEED that ipod It helps with flights and it helps me mellow out at night

FINALLY! at 8:05am we headed out to drop off our Luna
Normally her foster family watches her, but this time they couldn't. So it was our first time actually staying at a cageless kitty hotel. She looked scared in her carrier when we had to drop her off
We would have stayed longer to help her, but due to the late start, we kind of had to just drop her off and go. It was sad, but Disney Awaited!

We made it to the airport after some *eh hem* interpretive driving by me. It took FOREVER to find a parking spot. But we finally found it. I mostly remember being really excited at this point, partly because of keeping track of the time and the other part is cause we were at the airport ... on our way!

Upon check-in, we found that we were in fact, checked in (we had some issues prior to the trip) and ended up being in row 10! Whooh! One of the firsts to get off the plane! So then, we trudged over to security ...

~ Slight Backstory ~
Okay, so, Amanda has never been on a plane in her life. So, she has never been able to experience the joys of security. Her father listens to a lot of hooplah on the radio/news and this was the time when those new scanning machines were introduced. He didn't want her going through those (I don't blame him actually), but he also was paranoid about the normal metal detectors, saying that Amanda was going to be 'felt up' by security officers.

I know, I know. We told her MANY times that it doesn't happen that way. Surprisingly, he does have a reason to believe that she would set the alarms off while walking through, hence the 'friendly pat-down notion'. Amanda also had a heart condition and was operated on at a young age. I don't know the full details but she does have a device (not pace maker) in her chest that has metal on it.

Okay, back to the trip ...

... the security lines at the Salt Lake City airport can vary depending by day and time, thankfully, since it was a rather early flight, the line was very short. Amanda was nervous and we tried our best to let her know everything she had to do and not to worry.
Jon and I went first (shoes/bags/jewelry/fillings/nose hair/etc.) and went through the normal metal detectors.

WE WEREN'T TERRORISTS!

But, was Amanda?

Up Next
The Flight & The Mouse

Past Disney Trips
Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
Amunet
DIS Veteran

ありがとう ございます!

.... Nope! Amanda made it through security with so much as a hiccup!

She called up her dad and told him that it went smoothly ... he replied, "Well, just wait until you have to come back."

Just past security was a Starbucks so Jon and I decided to get some tea for the morning The service was CRAZY slow, which resulted in a huge line that formed behind us. Thankfully, we made it to our gate just in time and started boarding.
BUT, something else had to happen, our seats changed! Apparently, on a Delta Boeing 737-800 Passenger, the 10th row is for wheelchair people only. AND there was an older fellow that needed the row. So we then got changed to row 32 ... WAAAAY in the back. I was a bit bummed but I was a bit more okay when I found out that they were able to keep us all in the same row

We were finally on the plane! Then, the small child in front of us had a rather nasty accident in (which spilled out of) their diaper. Oh goodness ... it was HORRIBLE smelling. At first we thought the child just wasn't changed and were kind of irritated, then we found out the poor baby was a tad sick We kind of felt guilty after that. But the stewardess was very understanding and helped get the mess cleaned up.

The plane was boarded by this time and all of us were happily chewing away on our bubble gum ... you know ... to help with the pressure ... yeah ...

Yes, this is Amanda's excited face. We had just taken off at this point. And were officially in the air.

While Amanda doesn't seem like UBER excited, she kept smiling the whole time and said that the feeling of taking off was a cool feeling.

The flight was rather uneventful after that (yay!) and we landed around 4:30pm in Orlando! Off the plane, to the mini monorail and to ... MAGICAL EXPRESS

We got in line and waited for only about a minute until we were summoned to get on. Unfortunately the front row was reserved, so me and Jon hopped into the second row and Amanda sat across the aisle.
Unfortunately, we had to wait on the bus for a good 20 minutes until we left. In the mean time, more families boarded and by the time we left, we were probably just under halfway full.

In close to no time, we found ourselves in front of the most beautiful sights in the world:

Yeah, get a load of that shot ... I leaned WAY into the aisle for that one

POFQ was the 3rd stop. We got ourselves to the checkin counter and had a guy from Japan check us in! I forgot his name, but I was geeking out because we went to Japan last year and I've been taking Japanese lessons, so I was half speaking with him in Japanese (VERY simple words though).
After the check-in process, we were about to leave but he told us to hold on. He popped back out with "Happy Anniversary" Balloons for me and Jon!
We were so excited! I even got to thank him in Japanese:

ありがとう ございます!

Off to the room!

We ended up being in room ...

This is right next to the main building and across garden from the bus stop! Top floor too, which gave a really nice view.

^ Video Tour of the Room ^ Click to view

We really liked the room, the colors were fun! Jon and I even popped into the room before Amanda to hang up a "Welcome Amanda" sign I made

Of course, we couldn't stay in the room ... we had to go show Amanda the awesomeness of Disney!!

But where to?

Up Next
Stepping Into the Disney Magic
+
More photos! I took a lot of photos, but hardly any on the first day for some reason

Past Disney Trips

Last edited by Amunet; 03-21-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Followed you over from FB.

Great TR so far
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
Followed you over from FB.

Great TR so far
Ah! Hey Michelle! It's really nice to see a friendly screen name :D

Thank you! I feel really bad for not having as many photos on the first day ... well, it's something to know for next time, right?

Next post will most likely be later in the day ... as I need to sleep.

Thanks for posting!

Past Disney Trips
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Mrs. Sojourner
Mouseketeer

You got a great shot on ME! I love that you were able to speak Japaneese with the CM; how cool is that! And, an extra bonus that he gave you anniv. balloons! (I am hoping I can talk with the Senagaleese drummer who does shows in AK and greet him in Wolof. It would make my whole trip.) I'm really enjoying your TR and can't wait to read more...thanks for sharing!

Have Stayed at: AS Sport, ASM, CSR, POR & PBH (USF)
Check out my PTR! From West Africa to WDW; talk about some culture shock!

My Blog: Mrs. Sojourner's Monologues
Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Sojourner View Post
You got a great shot on ME! I love that you were able to speak Japaneese with the CM; how cool is that! And, an extra bonus that he gave you anniv. balloons! (I am hoping I can talk with the Senagaleese drummer who does shows in AK and greet him in Wolof. It would make my whole trip.) I'm really enjoying your TR and can't wait to read more...thanks for sharing!
Thank you ^_^ Yeah, it makes you feel like 'oh, I know more than I thought I did' and at the same time 'I don't know too much!'. Lol but it's cool to be able to communicate and the shock on their faces are always worth it lol

Thank you! I hope to be able to update tonight

Past Disney Trips
Old 02-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
tinkerbell60
DIS Veteran

Ok - I found my way over from the July 11 FB page! Great job so far!!! You are inspiring me to write my trip report from last summer - which I have yet to do!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Hey guys ^_^ Just wanted to let you know that I may not be able to update until Tuesday due to DH's birthday coming up on Monday! Family dinner Sunday and a fun party on Monday.

If I'm able to get on, I will be sure to update though! I have lots of photos to share ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell60 View Post
Ok - I found my way over from the July 11 FB page! Great job so far!!! You are inspiring me to write my trip report from last summer - which I have yet to do!
Thank you for coming over! :D Oh, I hope you do, I'll be sure to follow it

Past Disney Trips
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Hey guys ^_^ A little real life update:

It's DH's Birthday!

I made him this cool cake:

Cthulhu!

The cookies on it are from Sweet Creatures Bake Shop.
She custom made these for me! I can totally see her being used for surprise Disney Cookies, can't you?

Past Disney Trips
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Hey guys!

I'm sorry it's been a little bit since my last update, things have been a bit crazy.

I just wanted to share some EXCITING news for you ...

We will be going on our very first DISNEY CRUISE in April! *admires shiny new ticker*

So, because of that. I will be starting a new PTR AND I will be updating this TR I will update soon!

Past Disney Trips

Last edited by Amunet; 02-23-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
Amunet
DIS Veteran

I Actually Remembered!

Downtown Disney!

Yup! We were off to DTD! I did a lot of research prior to this trip and found that you could easily take a ferry ride from POFQ to DTD. I've never done that before so I was 'on board' () with the idea.

It was a relatively small wait and then we were off!!

First 'us' photo of the trip! Don't they just look THRILLED?

I also took a small video for our trip in the ferry (click the below image):

Find out WHY the water is so brown!

And guess what? The Characters were actually in Flight!

I was rather surprised that it was up, considering we had such overcast.

We got off the ferry and was immediately slapped across the face with the Christmas Store. Well, I'm a huge Christmas fan and really wanted to check it out! We found some really cute things Didn't buy anything but did keep a mental list.

After our very merry browsing, our tummies let us know what we were missing ... FOOD!! We were rather hungry by this point, since we really didn't have a lot of food. So where did we stop?
Cooke's of Dublin! I remember seeing this place during our Honeymoon and was curious the last time, but it was always closed by the time we got to DTD. So, this trip, it was our FIRST stop on our Discovery of Disney's Quick Service Cuisine!

While I didn't take pictures of our food (I almost always forgot to do this before we started eating ), I can tell you what we had:
Jon: Fish & Chips (The Original One & One) + Pistachio Cupcake
Me & Amanda: Chicken Strips w/ Fries+ Pistachio (Amanda) & Raspberry (me) Cupcakes.

The Fish and Chips were amazingly good! It reminded me of when DH and I went to England However, the Chicken Strips were just kind of sub-par. They were okay but WAY too much meat for me (I'm picky with meat, as it is I don't eat red meat).
I highly recommend the Fish & Chips!
The cupcakes were okay. We all agreed that there was an uneven ratio of cupcake to frosting ... WAY too much frosting! My cupcake was a bit crumbly.

Jon and I also ordered a Doh-Bar (which does not come with the dining plan). I remember watching a travel show about Ireland and the show's host had a candy bar, dipped in batter, then deep fried. Well, that is exactly what a Doh-Bar is!
I got really excited at this point and convinced Jon to buy one (to share). We chose a snicker's bar.
YOU MUST TRY ONE OF THESE!! They are delish! Just don't think about how many calories is in it

This was when we stumbled into our first bump on the Disney Road. Upon looking at our receipt, I noticed we had fewer number of meals then I originally planned! I kind of freaked out (internally). We talked to the manager, which, they called the resort, to find out the problem.
They were amazingly nice and the manager was very helpful!
As odd as this sounds, there was a small highlight of this little fiasco: I actually remembered our room number!
My memory is HORRIBLE (expecially with numbers) and I was able to rattle off our room number before Amanda and Jon were able to look for their room key!
Well ... it was exciting for me anyways

While that was all being taken care of, we realized that we just wouldn't be able to eat our fries. So, we put the leftovers in one of the fry holders (you know, the paper ones that are like a mini boat?) and put another fry holder on top, then mummified it with napkins.
I then put that in my purse No one saw that ... right?

Finally, the manager came back over and explained that we need to go to the resort to work out the meal thing at guest services. No biggie We said thank you and tip toed out of there with our swag.

Our tummies full ... I had one objective: Locate and buy a Pin Lanyard and an Ariel Pin!
So of course, our first stop was:

"Arr!" Says Pirate Stitch

Yeah, we just had to go in. While I did find my lanyard, I didn't find an Ariel pin to my liking. But we still browsed around and kept mental notes of things we wanted to buy. As we were browsing, I realized that my purse was digging into my neck and was very uncomfortable. The purse was a multi-pack type purse that we got during our Honeymoon I thought it would be really fun to have it this time. But the strap was just too thick!
I ended up buying a Disney Nerd Purse not the one with outside pockets, but the one that's more square.
And I still use it today!

My neck feeling better (I wear it diagonally on my body), we explored a bit more of DTD.

Rawr!!

Just as I was taking this photo, that kid rushed up. I was kind of annoyed but ended up having the mentality of "to another generation of Harry Potter lovers"!

We went around to various shops (no more pictures) and just had a good time soaking up the Disney vibes.

On our way out, I realized I still didn't get my Ariel pin! So we hopped into Disney's Pin Traders. It took me FOREVER, but I finally found one I was happy with: Pin #49899 ^_^

We hopped back onto the ferry and said goodbye to DTD ...

We arrived at our resort and went straight to ... guest services? I believe. We needed to straighten out this issue of our meals!
The CM kindly told me that how I thought the meals worked ... was wrong. Turns out that I was basing the amount of meals upon when DH and I had our honeymoon ... 3 Years ago!
Back then, we had a certain allotment of meals/snacks per DAY we were there and they expired at the end of the day.
Well, how it works now (as some of you may know) is that the allotment of meals/snacks now depend on the per NIGHT that you stay and they don't expire.
This kind of threw off my planning, but I understood that sometimes things need to be changed and I wasn't too upset by it. PLUS, the snacks/meals don't expire at the end of the day!

After my chat with guest services, Jon shooed me away to talk with them. So, I took a picture of the awesomely themed chandelier

We then trudged to our room and had a bit of re-arranging to do with our meals. After figuring out a plan, I made a little diagram/list for Amanda and Jon to put in their bags (in case they forget). Turns out that it came in handy

Amanda and Jon then promptly passed out while I took notes of the happenings of the day and eventually joined them in their slumbering sighs.

Up Next
First Park of the trip!

Past Disney Trips

Last edited by Amunet; 02-25-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Not sure if anyone is still reading this o.O

BUT if you are. Please accept my humble appologies for taking such a long time to write. Much has been going on and an upcoming Disney cruise as distracted me
Though, I really hope I can finish this TR before my cruise (april 22nd).

So, lets see how this turns out ...

Past Disney Trips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: