Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #61
the_green_machine
Mouseketeer

Sorry for the wait guy and girls.....

Day 5 up tomorrow....Promise!

My first completed Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871044
Old 03-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #62
plwheel
Earning My Ears

Brought me to tears

Thank you for sharing your special moment with us! I watched the video of your wife's reaction and teared up. Disney World is the one place on earth you can leave all you cares and stresses behind. Your wife's reaction was priceless.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #63
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_green_machine View Post
Sorry for the wait guy and girls.....

Day 5 up tomorrow....Promise!
No problem!

Only 14 days til we go!!!!
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #64
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Just got caught up! More please
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #65
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

I spent last night looking at surprise videos on YouTube. Came across one about a husband surprising his wife and the video of her walking down Main St and absolutely fell in love with her. You could FEEL her emotions. I was a mess! So, how excited am I to have found you on the DIS?? Enjoying reading about your trip.

Jan '10 POFQ; Jul '10 POP; Sep '10 POP; May '12 POFQ

Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #66
the_green_machine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwheel View Post
Thank you for sharing your special moment with us! I watched the video of your wife's reaction and teared up. Disney World is the one place on earth you can leave all you cares and stresses behind. Your wife's reaction was priceless.
Thx Im glad you enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Just got caught up! More please
everything has been written for day 5, I just have to add the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2clr View Post
I spent last night looking at surprise videos on YouTube. Came across one about a husband surprising his wife and the video of her walking down Main St and absolutely fell in love with her. You could FEEL her emotions. I was a mess! So, how excited am I to have found you on the DIS?? Enjoying reading about your trip.
Awesome! Glad your enjoying our story...That video means the world to us and we're so happy that others enjoy it too.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #67
the_green_machine
Mouseketeer

Day 5 is up!

Day 5 is here....time to exhale!

Today we had planned a “Free Day” on our schedule and boy were we ready for it. After 4 days of commando Disney style touring Nicole needed a day to do nothing. If someone out there is reading this that has never been to WDW/planning a trip, take my advice....pencil in a day where you just stay at the resort and veg...you may not think that you need it but something tells me your feet will disagree with you!

I got up around 8 o’clock and after some breakfast and a shower, gathered up all of our laundry and went to work. After a few days in Disney we needed to get things cleaned up and the last thing I wanted to face when we got home, while still drenched in Disney “home sickness”, was a suitcase full of dirty clothes. So off to the laundry room I went....

Pretty good considering, chilled out for an hour or so waiting for the lights and darks to do their thing. I considered grabbing a few rays while catching up on our journal entries that would later become what you’re reading right now....but at about 85 degrees at 9 o’clock in the morning my pale skin made a bee line for some shade before the writing continued.

I headed back to the room and after all the folding was done Nicole and I headed down to the Pop food court for an early lunch. I decided to check out the burritos and MAN these things were massive....you could have fed 3 to 4 people no problem at all...Disney portions...intense (Man I look tired in this picture).

So I initially said that the plan today was to stay out of the parks completely but that plan went out the window soon after lunch. I had purchased t-shirts for a nephew and myself at Epcot and upon further inspection, the XL on mine was actually an XL youth...I could go on trying to be clever about how it looked but I’m just gonna leave it at “tight”. So rather than take the loss I decided that I would venture out into the Disney wilderness on my own and grab a bus to Epcot, take back the shirt and maybe....just maybe take in a few sights before heading back to Pop before we set out for ‘Ohana.

O.k...so what your about to read is a true account of what took place upon leaving Pop for Epcot, and maybe for more experienced Disney afficionados this is the norm...I’d be interested to hear your take on it. So I get in the line up for Epcot at about 1 o’clock on a sunny Tuesday afternoon. “Hmmm...no one in the line up, awesome, I’ll get a good seat”. The bus soon arrives and after I get on it strikes me that I am on my way to a Disney World theme park completely by myself...I don’t mean...without my wife, no, I mean literally without anyone else. The bus is 100% empty (full disclosure, lets say 98% including the driver and myself) which is a trip...I didn’t think this was possible... but another little gem to file under “Disney Memories”.

The driver was so friendly (I guess its not all that often he only has one person to talk to on the bus) we talked about where we were from (me from Newfoundland and him from Maine), the weather and great times of the year to come back.....his take on the matter was just after American Thanksgiving...I might just take him up on that advice in 2013.

I arrived in Epcot and it was a ghost town. Not sure what was going on in WDW that day but I can guarantee it had nothing to do with Epcot! After a few Photopass pics in front of “Spaceship Earth” I was at the base of the sphere waiting my turn to see what it was all about. As with a few things in WDW SS Earth was one of those things I can say I was glad to experience although I don’t know if I will ever take part in again...well, we’ll see, Nicole hasn’t been “on” it yet.

After taking back the shirt for the refund I decided to check out “The Art of Disney” for a specific souvenir which had eluded me since we arrived 5 days ago. Whenever I travel somewhere, for as long as I can remember, I always try to bring back a souvenir of a type of “landmark” of that particular place. For our Disney trip I wanted to bring back a small silver or die cast type of Cinderella Castle. This had proved very hard/impossible to find since we arrived (which, as I write this, still surprises me). Granted, if I wanted a $500 crystal castle Main St. U.S.A. would be only too happy to oblige but I was thinking a little cheaper and something that wouldn’t cause a lump to form in my throat each time Nicole dusted it.... “The Art of Disney”= Jackpot! Although I never found my castle what I found was even better. A bronze replica of the Walt Disney/Mickey Mouse statue at the hub in front of Cinderella Castle entitled “Partners”.

With souvenir in tow I headed back to Pop to get ready for supper.

All ready we headed out around 5 o’clock to catch the MK monorail to ‘Ohana for supper. This was our first ride on the monorail and it was probably exactly what we had imagined that it would be like.

Arriving at The Polynesian we quickly began to fully gauge the difference between a value resort and a deluxe resort....and we were just in the lobby! Beautiful in every way with dark woods and plants everywhere...I don’t know if I could justify the price but one day we just may have to find out for ourselves.

From my research on Disboards, so many people had talked about watching “Wishes” from the beach at the Polynesian. I knew I had to scope the place out while it was still light out to see if this was something we could take in after our reservation. After Nicole found a smoking area and a few friendly people to talk to I set out. If you’ve never been to the Polynesian walk through the building and make your way out the back doors. After that follow the path past the pools to your left and after passing some boat rental area you will find your self at the white sand beach. This is supposed to have an incredible view of “Wishes”...we’ll see....

Supper at ‘Ohana was amazing. First off...and I cant stress this enough...go hungry...I’m serious. Don’t go thinking “Oh I’m a big eater I can handle it”.....You can’t handle it. I was literally stuffed halfway through and soldiered on...for the cause of course (wink wink). You start off with delicious bread and a very simple salad with a honey lime dressing that is out of this world.

While your still face and eyes into the previous course they bring out a type of bbq/grilled wing (with coriander as well I think) and a pork pot sticker/deep fried dumpling....I could have stopped here no problem...It was all delicious and all you can eat which equals trouble. Up next they bring out noodles and, seriously, the most delicious broccoli I have ever eaten in my life....I’m not kidding....its for real.

While your killing yourself on what’s already in front of you out comes the meat...Chicken, Pork, Steak and shrimp...Its borderline assault...no kidding. As you sit there thinking...”Well...I’ve made it through, because...there cant be anymore...right??? RIGHT?” Wrong! Now for me to just say this is a delicious dessert would be doing all of you who have never eaten here a great dis service...A type of pineapple cake comes out with a great vanilla ice cream on top and then what do they do??? they pour a caramel banana sauce over it....They’re not very nice people

Between the great food, awesome service and a coconut race for the kids (while being serenaded by ukelele music) this place is a do not miss on my list next year when we return!

It was well on 7:50 pm before we left the restaurant and headed down to the beach. Although you are quite a ways from the fire works the atmosphere is amazing. The soundtrack to “Wishes” is pumped out onto the beach and with a drink in hand (from the bar on the beach) you’d be hard pressed to wish you were anywhere else in the world right about then.

After “Wishes” we decided to forego the monorail ride back and took the ferry from the dock just off the beach back to MK. This is a great way to travel from the Poly back to MK and it gives you an opportunity for one of the best shots of the MK railway station with the castle behind it....Great times.

We made our way back to the buses and, as you can imagine, it was full blast exodus from the park and after waiting through 3 or 4 buses we were on our way “home”. A great time was had by all and tomorrow its Animal Kingdom...and Expedition Everest...Did I mention that I don’t like roller coasters, speed or heights...no?...Stay tuned!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #68
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Oh our beloved Poly...so glad you liked it!! The atmosphere is something else there. Glad you enjoyed 'Ohana, it has become our first day tradition! Seeing everything all lit up at night...nice isn't it! Thanks for updating!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #69
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Thanks for the awesome descriptions of 'Ohana! can't wait to go there in just over 6 months!!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #70
the_green_machine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Thanks for the awesome descriptions of 'Ohana! can't wait to go there in just over 6 months!!
We ate at a lot of great restaurants on our vacation, 'Ohana was a great "experience"...Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Oh our beloved Poly...so glad you liked it!! The atmosphere is something else there. Glad you enjoyed 'Ohana, it has become our first day tradition! Seeing everything all lit up at night...nice isn't it! Thanks for updating!
Nice doesn't do it justice! Cant wait to stay there myself one day!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #71
MelaBella
Mouseketeer

You surprised your wife with this wonderful trip and you do laundry? This isn't a true story, is it?

Seriously, your wife is one lucky woman.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #72
204charity
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful day. I am sure getting excited for our 1st Poly Stay in just 12 more days!!!!!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #73
the_green_machine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelaBella View Post
You surprised your wife with this wonderful trip and you do laundry? This isn't a true story, is it?

Seriously, your wife is one lucky woman.
She's worth it...and, to be fair, she does the majority of it when we're home so the least I could do was let her sleep in for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
What a wonderful day. I am sure getting excited for our 1st Poly Stay in just 12 more days!!!!!
...Jealous!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #74
kdevoe
Earning My Ears

I'm in!!! Your doing a great job on your TR!! OMG all that food looked great. Loving all the pics!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #75
204charity
DIS Veteran

We need day 6!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: