Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #46
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Hotel Continental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post

I stayed at Hotel Continental in Barcelona before my WB Trans-Atlantic Cruise. I believe it's rated about three stars. The rooms are small but clean with and painted an ugly pink color, however I did love the location (right on Las Ramblas) and I enjoyed the free 24 food, drinks (juices, milk, soda, wine and beer) and wonderful staff. Next time I return to Barcelona I'm not sure if I would stay at this location but nevertheless I have no regrets about staying at this hotel.
I have stayed at the Hotel Continental and, like you, am not sure if I would stay there again.

You're right, the rooms are an ugly pink color. The rooms are VERY PINK.

The good thing is the hotel is right on Las Rambla. The bad thing is the hotel is right on Las Rambla. We did not mind the noise from the crowds on Las Rambla at night. The hotel has two upper floors of an old multi-floor building, and there are other building tenants. There is an unattended lobby that's open to the street on the ground floor, with an elevator that serves the entire building. So to get to the hotel, you enter from the street level, and take an elevator to it's floor.

One evening we felt unsafe returning to the hotel, walking past dozens of young men hanging out near the hotel entrance. (Hey, it's Las Rambla, what did you expect?) As we got into the elevator, we were followed by some rowdy-looking young men, and we did not know whether they even belonged in the building. Personally, I would have preferred if there was a ground floor lobby attendant.

Our room had some deferred maintenance (holes in the walls, peeling PINK wallpaper) and cleanliness issues.

As for the number of stars a European hotel has, just keep in mind that it measures different things than we're used to in the U.S. European Hotels and Star Ratings

YMMV

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #47
joius24
Faith Trust and Pixie Dust...we can all use a little bit of magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Yes, of course! We were on the same cruise. It had a very active roll call, and was a fantastic cruise.

Do you remember the spectacular fireworks show launched on shore the night we arrived at Barcelona? Awesome.

Woody
Yes I DO and they made me cry! Hi Woody! I have a short video of them ...every once in a while I go back to this video and enjoy the "magic" hope this link works ... cut and paste and enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-GJN...LpNSxkzGpdLwwE

Great to see a familiar cruiser !
Cruises: 2006 - 4 nt. Wonder...2007 Eastern Caribbean Magic...2008/9 New Years Western Caribbean ... April 2010 14 nt. Eastbound TransAtlantic Magic... August 2011...B2B Disney Dream.... June 2012 Fantastic Fantasy Voyage...and then hopping back to NY for a New England MAGICal adventure.... June 2013 The Wonders of Alaska!

Park Hopping: June 2014 TOKYO DISNEY HERE WE COME!... 2014 4 Days WDW and MY FIRST PRINCESS 5K!!... 2013 10 days WDW ....2011 Pre-cruise WDW...2011 Disneyland... 2010 WDW All Star Music ..:2009 WDW Pop Century...2006 WDW Pop Century ...2005-Disney Land(w/out DS)...1997-WDW

Last edited by joius24; 02-06-2012 at 11:43 PM.
joius24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #48
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joius24 View Post

Yes I DO and they made me cry! Hi Woody! I have a short video of them ...every once in a while I go back to this video and enjoy the "magic" hope this link works ...
The video brought back some very fond memories. Thanks for sharing.

Woody
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #49
micheleq
DIS Veteran

Bumping and a thanks to the OP for starting the thread and list! We just got off the Magic for President's Day week and have booked for 8/24/13 sailing (I may move that up a week depending upon when school starts).

If we are flying in 2-3 days early to explore Barcelona, do you think a hotel pool is a must? August in Europe equals hot, hot, hot! Our girls will be 6 & 8 for the cruise.

TIA!

CB 1/01 SSR 12/08 YC-CL 10/11 SSR 11/14 VGF 1/15
Magic Western Caribbean 2/12
Wonder Easter 3/13 Western Caribbean
Fantasy Easter 4/14 Eastern Caribbean
DL PPH-CL 8/13
micheleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #50
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleq View Post
Bumping and a thanks to the OP for starting the thread and list! We just got off the Magic for President's Day week and have booked for 8/24/13 sailing (I may move that up a week depending upon when school starts).

If we are flying in 2-3 days early to explore Barcelona, do you think a hotel pool is a must? August in Europe equals hot, hot, hot! Our girls will be 6 & 8 for the cruise.

TIA!
For us it is a must since we are using our pre-stay days to explore the city but to also adjust to the time difference. So hanging out at the pool will be our down time.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #51
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
Does DCL transfers only to and from hotels they used?
We were on the 2011 Med cruise and stayed at the 1898 Hotel next door to the Le Meridian which DCL used. We were able to use the transfers. Very easy to wheel our luggage over that morning.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #52
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicFan75 View Post
We also stayed in the AC Diplomatic in September 2010 for two nights. It is now a Marriott hotel (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...tel-barcelona/). Our family has two adults and two children and we fit into the room comfortably. I remember it being an issue to find rooms big enough for all four of us. This hotel was very clean, comfortable, and it was one of the "Disney" hotels associated with the cruise. Disney had a check in desk in the hotel lobby the day before the cruise and also offered transfers (bus transportation) to the port.

We initially had booked through Disney, but wound up cancelling the hotel through them and rebooking on our own and saved some $$. The hotel is still rather pricey, but it was really nice. We walked around the neighborhood, to parks, and took the open top tour bus during our 1.5 days in Barcelona. It is an absolutely beautiful city!
When I tried booking this hotel with 4 in a room it won't let me. The only Marriott hotels in Barcelona that allow 4 are Renaissance Barcelona and Hotel Arts Barcelona. They are very expensive with four in a room Renaissance starts at 385 euros per night and Hotel Arts in several thousand per night in euros. I'd love to know your secret in booking 4 in a room here.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #53
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

On our 1st Med cruise we stayed at Renaissance Barcelona Airport Hotel. Here's the link: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...airport-hotel/ We stayed on points and at the time they only allowed 3 in a standard room. The room had a King sized bed and a rollaway. We had a 6 and 9 year old. The 6 year old was small enough to share the King with her parents. The hotel did have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel which was very handy as we had loss our luggage on the flight over so, we did a lot of going back and forth from the hotel to the airport trying to get our luggage. The room came with a fully stocked refrigerator and everything in the refrigerator was included. This was very nice as the hotel is located in an industrial area so, we never found a grocery store near by. We did take the airport shuttle to the airport and from there used the train to get to the main part of Barcelona. This worked out fine for us as we were only staying one night on both ends. I'm not sure I'd stay here for longer than that. In 2007 we took a cab to the terminal and it was about 30 Euros each way. I remember seeing a lot of cruisers at this hotel. Finally, the hotel does have a pool and 2 restuarants. One of the restuarants was not very kid friendly. The other was basically a bar area with lots of smoke. I'd use this place as a last resort. I see now that they take 4 to a room but it starts at 385 euros per night. So, not very budget friendly.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #54
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Adventures by Disney is using El Palace Hotel for their pre-cruise adventures.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #55
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Adventures by Disney is using El Palace Hotel for their pre-cruise adventures.
They must have the majority of the hotel blocked off. We have 3 people in our party and there aren't any rooms available unless we book 3 single rooms. Hopefully they announce the other hotels they are using for pre and post cruise stays soon.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #56
jillianjigs7
DVC Member

In 2007 we did the Med. Cruise and we stayed at the Eurostars Grand Marina, for 2 nights prior to sailing. That hotel was AMAZING. I highly recommend that one.

jillianjigs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #57
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post
They must have the majority of the hotel blocked off. We have 3 people in our party and there aren't any rooms available unless we book 3 single rooms. Hopefully they announce the other hotels they are using for pre and post cruise stays soon.
I looked, too. I also called to find out the ABD price for the 3-nights Barcelona ABD - it's $1,899 per adult.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #58
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
I looked, too. I also called to find out the ABD price for the 3-nights Barcelona ABD - it's $1,899 per adult.
Holy smokes!!! It would be cheaper to take the cruise
Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #59
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen

Quote:

. . . I also called to find out the ABD price for the 3-nights Barcelona ABD - it's $1,899 per adult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post

Holy smokes!!! . . .
But ABD has a good vibe.

Woody
Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #60
burma
My Oh My What A Wonderful Day

So I have a question where is the Port in relation to everything this will be our first Med Cruise and we have DD11 and DD12 .. I think we will be in Barcelona for 2 days before the cruise and I dont know if we should go with DCL planning or I should do this on my own.

On the other side of the coin .. I have a friend that lives there and she sent me these hotels ... does anyone know any of them?

Hotel Neri (old palace in Gothic Quarters - beautiful!)
Praktik Rambla (new, modern, well located)
W Hotel (on the beach, but you have to take a taxi most places)
Hotel Pulitzer (good location, good roof top terrace)
Hotel Granados 83 (a few blocks from center, less touristy)
Hotel 1898 (right on the Ramblas)

I feel the next year of planning this trip is gonna be a PIMA but prob well worth it.

thanks
Dave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: