Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Barcelona hotels pre-cruise

I know the pre-cruise hotel and air information won't be available for the 2013 Med cruises through DCL for a while, but I'm working on our budget and trying to figure out what we might do and where we might stay pre-cruise in Barcelona.

I was wondering what hotels DCL has used in the past for their pre-cruise hotels. We sailed in 2007 and booked with DCL but booked late and were put at the "overflow" hotel which was further away from where we would've liked to stay. I know they may not use the same hotels but we were trying to get an idea of where we might stay.

Or if you booked your pre-cruise hotel on your own, where did you stay? We are a family of four and we realize we'll likely have to have two rooms, but we have heard there are some that can accommodate four in a room. I'm working on compiling a list of possibilities so we'll be ready when it's time to decide if we want to book through DCL or on our own.

Thanks.

*** EDITING TO PUT THE LIST OF HOTELS THAT OTHER DISERS HAVE POSTED ABOUT HERE IN THE FRONT SO OTHERS MAY FIND IT EASIER ***
*** EDITTED ON 06-21-2012 TO INCLUDE DCL INFORMATION FOR SUMMER 2013 ***

Renaissance Barcelona (was AC Diplomatic (Marriott)) DCL IS USING THIS ONE. PARTY OF 4 IS $408/NIGHT (2 ROOMS)
Hilton Diagonal Mar DCL IS USING THIS ONE. PARTY OF 4 IS $416/NIGHT (2 ROOMS)

Hotel Diagonal
El Palace Hotel - this is the hotel ABD is using for pre-cruise stays
Hotel Rivoli Las Ramblas
Hotel Colon
Hotel Jazz
Le Meridien
Casp74 Apartments
W
Eurostars Grand Marina
TRYP Barcelona Aeropuerto (Wyndham)
Hispanos Suiza 7
Hotel Fira Palace
Novotel Barcelona City
Hotel Barcelona Catedral
APSIS Porta Marina
Hotel Continental

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013

Last edited by nzdisneymom; 06-21-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Adding hotels listed in response to question. Will add others if they are mentioned.
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
PhilUK
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at the Hotel Rivoli Las Ramblas

http://www.hotelrivoliramblas.com/en/

It's a nice Hotel at the top of las Ramblas. There's a stop for the Hop On Hop Off Tour Buses just across the road which is the easiest way to get around Barcelona in my opinion. Also just across the road is the Hard Rock Cafe if you're unsure of the local cuisine!

Phil
PhilUK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Decide whether you want to stay near the airport or in town. Basically are you coming in a day early to be safe and get over your jet lag or are you coming several days early to see Barcelona?

We stayed at the Hesperia Tower near the airport--fanciest hotel I've ever been in for $75 per night. I later found a package that included 2 breakfasts for $79 but we already had the room only. I also stayed at another place that I'll need to look up the name...under $80. Both are on major transportation lines and offer some shuttle service to the airport and downtown.

There are LOTS of hotels in Barcelona. THey built up for the Olympics, and dont need that many now. Also, the hotels that Disney uses are cheaper if you book them on your own.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

Last May post cruise we stayed at the AC Diplomatic which we booked on our own I think through hotels.com. Our room had a queen size bed and pull out couch for the 3 of us so they may allow 4.
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Decide whether you want to stay near the airport or in town. Basically are you coming in a day early to be safe and get over your jet lag or are you coming several days early to see Barcelona?
Both -coming in early to get over jetlag AND to see Barcelona since when we were there before, we arrived the day before sailing - our flight was supposed to get in at 9 a.m. but didn't arrive until noon - it was after 3 p.m. before we were at the hotel and settled enough to go out which didn't leave us much time - we had planned to just spend the day on the HOHO bus - but instead of getting to see a lot that way, we rode for 2 hours (and nodded off during much of it) because it ended at 6 p.m. So this time we want to be in early enough to have the arrival day to rest (and maybe see some stuff) and then at least one full day for sight-seeing. We also will spend one night post-cruise in Barcelona because our targeted return flight is at 11 a.m. and while we were able to make it last time, I'd rather not have that rush this time. We thought we'd stay by the airport for our return stay if we don't book through DCL.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Does DCL offer transportation from and to BCN?
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_rules View Post
Does DCL offer transportation from and to BCN?
In 2010 and 2011, DCL offered transfers for $30 from the airport (BCN) to the cruise terminal and from some hotels to the cruise terminal. There is supposedly some sort of public transportation from the Columbus statue to the terminal (a couple miles) but I don't know the details. We saw some people walking, but they are hardier than most Americans I know! It is a couple of miles from the start of the terminal to where the ship docked.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Both -coming in early to get over jetlag AND to see Barcelona since when we were there before, we arrived the day before sailing - our flight was supposed to get in at 9 a.m. but didn't arrive until noon - it was after 3 p.m. before we were at the hotel and settled enough to go out which didn't leave us much time - we had planned to just spend the day on the HOHO bus - but instead of getting to see a lot that way, we rode for 2 hours (and nodded off during much of it) because it ended at 6 p.m. So this time we want to be in early enough to have the arrival day to rest (and maybe see some stuff) and then at least one full day for sight-seeing. We also will spend one night post-cruise in Barcelona because our targeted return flight is at 11 a.m. and while we were able to make it last time, I'd rather not have that rush this time. We thought we'd stay by the airport for our return stay if we don't book through DCL.
We are also coming in a day before and staying after (because of the flight times). We are avoiding the idea of having a great idea overshadowed by stress of making flights
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Contraflow
Yummy Tasty Kittens

Hotels rooms are smaller in Barcelona and throughout Europe than most people realize. Of course they seem like castles having spent a week or more on a ship. Rooms for four are very hard to come by.

You will spend less for an airport hotel, but it owuld be a shame to be in such an amazing city and not experience what Barcelona has to offer. If you are comfortable with public transport and buses, it is simple to get into the city center.

With that said, my family has stayed at AC Diplomat, Hotel Colon and Hotel Jazz. All three are fine choices and close to Las Ramblas.

There are other transfer options that you can look into as well. If you have the time and budget consider a pre AND post hotel stay. Then you are not rushing to catch a flight back to the US.

I wish you peace and blessings...NAMASTE!
Contraflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Le Meridien, which was one of the DCL hotels, but we booked it on our own. It was cheaper to do the non-refundable advance rate and as DD was just 4, we didn't have to pay for her to be in the room. Great location! We stayed post-cruise at the Airport Marriott, which was just really convenient for an early morning flight.

I suggest a flamenco show while you are in town. That was a true highlight for us!
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

The hotels DCL used in 2010 were:

Le Meridien (where we stayed)
AC Diplomatic
Hilton Diagonal

IMO, it's great to stay right at downtown Barcelona since you can just step out of your hotel and see the sights. Le Meridien is a walk away from the port, the Barcelona cathedral and La Pedrera. The bus you take for the HOHO, is also a walk away. If you decide to take tours which will take you to Sitges or Montserrat, the offices are a walk away as well.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Casp 74, an apartment style hotel (similar to Marriott's Residence Inn) located in a residential neighborhood walking distance to Placa Catalunya, La Ramblas and metro stations. There are also some fabulous, off the tourist track, neighborhood restaurants. We are a family of 5 and we were in a 2 bedroom 3 bath unit last summer and it was perfect for our needs.

http://www.apartmentscasp74.com/apartaments.php?idm=3
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the W. http://www.w-barcelona.com/ It is about 30 mins away from the airport and close to the cruise terminal. We could have walked but chose to take a taxi with all our luggue. It was right on the beach and boardwalk with lots of restaurants within walking distance. The hotel rooms were huge and extremely nice and modern. We were a party of 8 (6 adults and two kids, ages 3 and 6 at the time). Four adults fit comfortably in the hotel room with a seperated bathroom. Our room overlooked the port and we saw the ship come in in the early morning and could see it while getting ready.

We arrived at the hotel about 3pm the day before the sailing and walked on the boardwalk and went for dinner and then crashed.

While I was travelling with two every well behaved kids, I would have to say, it was not a very kid friendly hotel.

I would highly recommend it to people travelling without kids or older kids.
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
luke
Señor Mejor

We stayed at the Eurostars Grand Marina at the World Trade Centre, bottom end of the ramblas and close enough to the port to be able to see the ship. Really recommend it.

We stayed at the Ohla hotel post cruise which is closer to the Plaça Catalunya which was nice, but more expensive and I think I preferred the Eurostars

Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
We stayed at the W. http://www.w-barcelona.com/ ... While I was travelling with two every well behaved kids, I would have to say, it was not a very kid friendly hotel.

I would highly recommend it to people travelling without kids or older kids.
Was it possible to walk from the W to the cruise terminal? Our kids are teenagers (will be turning 17 on the trip and 15).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: